Thread: My First Coachella, April 13th-15th 2012...Some questions

Default My First Coachella, April 13th-15th 2012...Some questions

I have a couple questions, Mainly about camping. So i have decided i am going on the first weekend of next years festival, and I have a cousin who lives in Indio. So i am trying to Decide on whether or not to camp on site or stay at a house.

my main questions are, Does camping on site with other Festival goers add to the full "Coachella Experience"? (i would imagine so, but i could be wrong hhaha). Also, Showers. Are there showers, i will be rocking the fuck out for 3 days in hot weather. will i be able to wash the stank off?

thanks guys, see you in April

Default Re: My First Coachella, April 13th-15th 2012...Some questions

Also.... Will Camping passes go on sale on Friday aswel? i cant see where they specified that.

I stayed at a family friends house in indio all three days last year and i still had the time of my life. My friends who camped said it was fun but not worth the annoying people and long shower lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 2HeadedBoy View Post
    I have a couple questions, Mainly about camping. So i have decided i am going on the first weekend of next years festival, and I have a cousin who lives in Indio. So i am trying to Decide on whether or not to camp on site or stay at a house.

my main questions are, Does camping on site with other Festival goers add to the full "Coachella Experience"? (i would imagine so, but i could be wrong hhaha). Also, Showers. Are there showers, i will be rocking the fuck out for 3 days in hot weather. will i be able to wash the stank off?

thanks guys, see you in April
    Does camping on site with other Festival goers add to the full "Coachella Experience"?

Yes.

Are there showers, i will be rocking the fuck out for 3 days in hot weather. will i be able to wash the stank off?

Yes.

Will Camping passes go on sale on Friday aswel?

Yes.

Definitely camp. And I'm assuming that camping passes will be available on Friday, but that's only based on the fact that they were available when layaway tickets first went up last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    Definitely camp. And I'm assuming that camping passes will be available on Friday, but that's only based on the fact that they were available when layaway tickets first went up last year.
    hmm...Generally how much are Camping tickets then?

and did the band Radiohead really just reply to my thread???? hahahaha

thanks for all the input guys, Cheers

hmm...Generally how much are Camping tickets then?
    You will need to purchase either a car camping pass or a tent camping pass. The info that came out today didn't have any specifics regarding tent camping. Car camping is a 10x30 spot that ran $55 during the presale last year and is good for 1 vehicle and however many people you want to cram onto your spot. I think the price jumped about $25 once the regular sale began.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    You will need to purchase either a car camping pass or a tent camping pass. The info that came out today didn't have any specifics regarding tent camping. Car camping is a 10x30 spot that ran $55 during the presale last year and is good for 1 vehicle and however many people you want to cram onto your spot. I think the price jumped about $25 once the regular sale began.
    Ya, i am coming out from Spearfish, South Dakota, so i would most likely fly out there, so i would just need the tent pass. i will see the price sooner or later i suppose.

do you like to sleep? if so then dont camp

do you like staying up all nite four days in a row while your neighbors drink and play sublime cover songs until 5am? if so then camp

Definitely camp. One night I passed out at 2ish and was able to sleep just fine - it was noisy, but what do you expect. The other nights I ended up partying till 4 or 5. And yes, there are showers. Get there early or late at night if you don't want a line. Honestly, I didn't take a shower till Monday. I stole some no-rinse soap from the hospital I work at and just scrubbed down with that. No lines to worry about and the cold soap and water felt great! Trust me, you won't be thinking about a shower with all the fun you'll be having!

07/22 - Capitol Hill Block Party
    07/29 - Flux Pavillion and Doctor P
    07/30 - Matisyahu
    08/03 - Hard Summer Seattle
    08/06 - Dntel
    08/09 - The Eels
    08/10 - Noisia and 16bit
    08/19 - Weezer
    09/01 - Blink182 and My Chemical Romance
    09/02 - 107.7 The End Summer Camp
    09/03 - Bumbershoot Music Festival
    09/10 - Identity Festival
    10/09 - Foster the People
    10/10 - Chromeo
    10/22 - Death Cab For Cutie
    4/13-4/15 - COACHELLA 2012 v1

If you have a house in Indio, use it.

Traveling a couple miles after the show will not hurt your good time. Go home to a refrigerator of food and beer. Take a hot shower and have a good sleep. Wake up and make yourself a nice breakfast.

Unless there are rules at the house that you don't like, it makes no sense to camp.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

it was my first time last year and didnt camp. Worst decision i ever made...

if you wanna party the entire time go car camping...if u wanna just semi party then get a hotel...cuz car camping for sure parties the hardest no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by vertin View Post
    if you wanna party the entire time go car camping...if u wanna just semi party then get a hotel...cuz car camping for sure parties the hardest no doubt
    For sure. Last year was my first real camping experience and it was 100x better than '10. Get one more car camping space than you think u will need. We had 1 person meet us in Palm Springs with an empty car and paid for her camping pass just to get another spot. '10 we had no shade and no space to move around. We spent most mornings in the car running the A/C and doing nothing cuz it was so hot. '11 we parked the cars on opposite ends of the spots from each other and were able to get some communal space and threw some tarps across the cars to get shade. Our spot sorta became a party spot as we were able have beer pong and had 12 chairs in the shade as well as keep all 3 coolers out of the sun even when we were inside the festival. Plus, everyone in the group can do whatever they want and not have to worry about having a sober driver.

I'm thinking both those heads are empty
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

I've done both and they both have their benifits...real showers...mimosas in a pool, et al. But camping brings so much more to the event. Basically if you want to meet new cool people you'll potentially stay in touch with, camp...if not, house it up! If you camp, be prepared to be up at 7am sharp...

CAMP! Camping is so convenient. You get to walk back to where you are staying after the festival instead of waiting an hour to get in and out of the parking lot every day. You do not have to be dependent on everyone in your group, you can go in whenever you want. If there is nobody you want to see at a certain time you can go back to the camp in rest instead of being in the festival for 13 hours straight every day. And Coachella is so exhausting you will be able to sleep regardless of the noise, unless you are up because you are on drugs, and if that is the case you will be even more happy that you camped. Long story short, if you truly want to experience Coachella, then be there for 4 days straight. And you will also realize how little you care about showering when you get there and everyone is filthy the whole weekend. CAMP!

and did the band Radiohead really just reply to my thread???? hahahaha
    REALLY? so tempted to sig..

Quote Originally Posted by ajax4747 View Post
    I've done both and they both have their benifits...real showers...mimosas in a pool, et al. But camping brings so much more to the event. Basically if you want to meet new cool people you'll potentially stay in touch with, camp...if not, house it up! If you camp, be prepared to be up at 7am sharp...
    This

Coachella 2012 part deux

STAY AT THE HOUSE!!!!

don't camp!!

You will need to sleep each night..and camping people smell funny and walk around like zombies during the day.

this is the worst thread ever

You can't be too excessive in your efforts to keep cool. Seriously...check out some of the other threads for tips on beating the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    CAMP! Camping is so convenient. You get to walk back to where you are staying after the festival instead of waiting an hour to get in and out of the parking lot every day. You do not have to be dependent on everyone in your group, you can go in whenever you want. If there is nobody you want to see at a certain time you can go back to the camp in rest instead of being in the festival for 13 hours straight every day. And Coachella is so exhausting you will be able to sleep regardless of the noise, unless you are up because you are on drugs, and if that is the case you will be even more happy that you camped. Long story short, if you truly want to experience Coachella, then be there for 4 days straight. And you will also realize how little you care about showering when you get there and everyone is filthy the whole weekend. CAMP!
    A few things.

- They pretty much sorted out the traffic situation this year. The longest it took me to get out of the parking lot was 20 minutes.

- You pay 300 dollars to be IN the festival. I did the "resting" thing in the campgrounds when there wasn't an act I wanted to see. You can do the same thing in the new shaded food court.

- It is exhausting but you will not necessarily be able to sleep regardless of the noise. That's false. In 2010, I had people keeping me up until 4 or 5 am and waking us up with their noise at 7 am. It really depends on your neighbors. If sleep isn't a big deal to you then this isn't a problem, but 3 hours of sleep followed by 5 hours in hot, direct sunlight with little shade BEFORE entering the festival took a shitload out of me. It may work for you, but people are different. But don't think being beat to shit at the end of the night leads to automatic sleep. It doesn't always work that way.

- You don't need to camp to be there for four days as everyone with a festival pass is allowed to be in the campgrounds at any time. I didn't camp but I still came to hang out with Gribble, Higgy and their group the night before. We left at around midnight to head back to our hotel.

- If Coachella makes you care little about showering and hygiene then keep away from me. 2012 will be my sixth year and I personally find showers refreshing. They help me wake up. But if you camp, it seems they solved the showering issues from 2010 so that's a non-factor. Whatever you do, please shower.

- This isn't Bonnaroo or Burning Man. Not everyone is smelly fucking bastard.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 09-09-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Cokechella...bloody noses and skidmarked chones
    You wanna fook on me?!

Been camping since '05 - every Coachella goer needs to do it at least once before you get the full experience of Coachella.

Once you've camped you can do the condo.

And if you're super baller, you can setup a camp ground next to other friends camping, get a vip parking pass and have a condo/hotel for showers and sleeping in (because with camping, you will not get to sleep in past 9)

Last year was our first year and we camped, but my friend's mom lived in Palm Springs. We spent one morning - early afternoon at her house to swim and cool off and then take long, hot showers. She gave us a ride to the drop off spots (a little of a walk, but not TOO bad). This worked out perfectly. We ended up getting all the awesome-ness of camping (partying, making friends, cheap shade between sets, drinking at the camp spot) and a house (showering, pool, nap), etc.
    We had cool neighbors and we used ear plugs at night to sleep. I remember the first night thinking there was no way I would be able to sleep because of the super loud DJ set just across the street from us, but in the end I had no problems sleeping with ear plugs (surprising since I am usually very sensitive to noise).
    Camping was also great for us since our spot was SO close to the venue (Lot 8, less than 5 minute walk), so we could easily go in and out and grab something from the site, grab some shade, drinks, whatever. Plus, we could change easily in the middle of the day for a fresh set of clothes (or SLIGHTLY warmer closthes for night).

I think you should at least experience camping once. If you can get a camp spot AND visit your friend nearby, that seems like the best option.

Bring Ice Soap.