Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: So It's Halfway Through 2011

Default Re: So It's Halfway Through 2011

Brandon, have you listened to Nguzunguzu - The Perfect Lullaby? Might be up your alley. They mix R&B and Hip-Hop with various world-beat type electronic music.

Edit:

My top 6 of the year are probably

Death Grips
    Deerhoof
    Liturgy
    Raekwon
    Fucked Up
    Gil Scott Heron & Jamie xx
    Last edited by kreutz2112; 06-17-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I know I can tend to be hyperbolic about things around here from time to time, so I apologize in advance. But:

Surgeon - Breaking the Frame

At this point, it's my album of the year. Listen for yourself.
    gave this album a whirl. then again. and again. holy smokes, good techno.
    thanks for the tip, I owe ya one!

No prob
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Lucy - Wordplay For Working Bees is a very good techno album as well, for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I know I can tend to be hyperbolic about things around here from time to time, so I apologize in advance. But:

At this point, it's my album of the year. Listen for yourself.

Followed by

2. Kurt Vile Smoke Ring For My Halo
    3. James Blake James Blake
    4. Panda Bear - Tomboy
    5. Rene Hell The Terminal Symphony
    6. Grouper A|A: Alien Observer
    7. Woods Sun and Shade
    8. This Will Destroy You Tunnel Blanket
    9. Radiohead The King of Limbs
    10. Cut Copy Zonoscope
    So just what sort of altered state were you in when you listened to that Surgeon LP? Because it's either that or you're punking us. C'mon....you're #1 for the year (or anyone else's for that matter. Especially within the context of the rest of your list, which has a few of my 20111 faves in it)?! I gave it a listen (all the way through) and it just doesn't go anywhere. Come clean, man.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Lucy - Wordplay For Working Bees is a very good techno album as well, for those interested.

I listened to this track and said to myself "Hey, that was pretty good; let's try another one." I've now done that eight times in a row, so needless to say I am really enjoying this album.

EDIT: I downloaded the album (which is even better once sequenced together) and while the song titles appear to be nonsense, they actually spell out "the art of being a slave is to rule ones master."
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 06-18-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I have really enjoyed Apocalypse by Bill Callahan. Anyone going to the Indy show tonight for that?
    "White people's skin is their jewelry." -Heems

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    So just what sort of altered state were you in when you listened to that Surgeon LP? Because it's either that or you're punking us. C'mon....you're #1 for the year (or anyone else's for that matter. Especially within the context of the rest of your list, which has a few of my 20111 faves in it)?! I gave it a listen (all the way through) and it just doesn't go anywhere. Come clean, man.
    I was completely sober, and being completely honest. It's not the in your face, untzy stuff that all the kids eat up. And to be honest I find the "it doesn't go anywhere" response to anything minimal to be an extremely banal and juvenile take on things at this point.

It's like when that JamesMills guy said that he doesn't like Deerhunter because their songs don't have any crescendos. Why does everything have to follow the same format?
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

the Surgeon album is meh. the guy hasn't come anywhere in the last 10 years.

It pisses me off when people say they don't like music for simple reasons. Like when somebody says something is derivative, or, in this case, doesn't go anywhere. I feel like it's a really lame and invalid complaint, especially when you guys are eating up shit like Bon Iver and Plastikman, who I think you can make the same "doesn't go anywhere" complaints about. Not to say those 2 artist aren't totally rad, because they are. But whatever.

That Surgeon album is great, but I wouldn't say the best I've heard all year, or even top 10.
    To Supre:
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

Just finished with the Surgeon album... pretty good, but nowhere near the best of the year for me. I liked 5 of the songs, the ones that were a bit more upbeat (2, 4, 8) I didn't enjoy as much.

No order, but some of my favorites this year.

Rene Hell - The Terminal Symphony
    Panda Bear - Tomboy
    Cut Copy - Zonoscope
    Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra
    James Blake - s/t
    Peaking Lights - 936
    Radiohead - The King of Limbs
    Death Grips - Exmilitary
    Tyler, the Creator - Goblin
    Explosions in the Sky - Take Care...

Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    It pisses me off when people say they don't like music for simple reasons. Like when somebody says something is derivative, or, in this case, doesn't go anywhere. I feel like it's a really lame and invalid complaint, especially when you guys are eating up shit like Bon Iver and Plastikman, who I think you can make the same "doesn't go anywhere" complaints about. Not to say those 2 artist aren't totally rad, because they are. But whatever.
    people shouldn't say something because you think its lame and invalid because other people like things that you think are rad but might be kind of like that aforementioned thing so whatever?

some next level shit right there...

I don't know, I agree that saying a techno album "doesn't go anywhere" as a form of dismissive criticism is kind of an easy out. Where exactly do the best techno albums go? Art Department's The Drawing Board will probably end up as one of my favorite albums of the year precisely because it does such a good job of toeing that line of anticipation.

I will say that the industrial undertones Surgeon is working with sound a bit forced.

Ugh I still need to do my list. I've been slacking.

The Antlers - Burst Apart and Hyetal Broadcast are my top 2 now...I think.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I officially really like the Frank Ocean album. Thanks guys, I'm glad I could share this with someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

First of all...the Surgeon album is much more minimal than techno and, since it was purported to be techno by someone in this thread, my expectation was such. And, if when I say "doesn't go anywhere," it's just another way of me saying it's fucking repetitive and boring (imo). There, is that more your cranky likings?

Chris...have you listened to Tim Hecker's Ravedeath 1972 yet? Now that is some minimal (ambient) I can get behind.

Art Department's The Drawing Board will probably end up as one of my favorite albums of the year precisely because it does such a good job of toeing that line of anticipation.
    I've failed to listen to much new music at all due to The Drawing Board. Which I've listened to about 103 times in the last ~2 months.

Personally I think a lot of people's best of picks "go nowhere". I still don't see the reason for the James Blake phenomenon, but obviously people are hearing things I'm not. Personally I find the Surgeon LP to be dark & impacting, and it's the only album I cherry picked off people's recommendations over the past few days that I've repeatedly listened to.
    Trying Tim Hecker's album but I have not yet been in the mood for wall to wall ambient to evaluate it yet.

I've just got 5 so far... I must expand.

Prefuse 73 - The Only She Chapters
    Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee 2
    Battles - Glass Drop
    Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    First of all...the Surgeon album is much more minimal than techno and, since it was purported to be techno by someone in this thread, my expectation was such. And, if when I say "doesn't go anywhere," it's just another way of me saying it's fucking repetitive and boring (imo). There, is that more your cranky likings?

Chris...have you listened to Tim Hecker's Ravedeath 1972 yet? Now that is some minimal (ambient) I can get behind.
    Of course I like that more, because it's more direct and honest and not veiled in Pitchfork review speak.

Chris, after listening to this Surgeon album twice, and reading your comment about how it's not "the untz untz the kids go for," I'm wondering if this is an album that has introduced you to a new electronic sound/genre you haven't explored yet...and maybe that's why you were so blown away by it?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Of course I like that more, because it's more direct and honest and not veiled in Pitchfork review speak.

Chris, after listening to this Surgeon album twice, and reading your comment about how it's not "the untz untz the kids go for," I'm wondering if this is an album that has introduced you to a new electronic sound/genre you haven't explored yet...and maybe that's why you were so blown away by it?
    "It doesn't go anywhere" is a valid criticism. I don't know how that's veiled, it's pretty direct and not flowery.

I was wondering the same thing about your second point, even though I haven't listened to the full album yet. It seemed like he jumped on that really, really quick and while the track I heard was good, it also was somewhat familiar. Even if that is the case, everyone has to start somewhere.

Are you guys asking if this is the first time I've listening to anything somewhat minimal? No, not at all.

I'm not the expert that someone like Forza might be, but I saw someone comment on facebook about Richie Hawtin's Essential Mix saying that "it doesn't go anywhere", and someone else said "dude, it's not Boys Noize" so I was just kind of making that same point. That people who are used to the big bouncy in your face kind of electronic music might have a hard time latching onto something more spare.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

There's plenty of minimal techno that really doesn't go anywhere. And plenty that does.

You know what I mean, though. For people that are used to the big buildups and climaxes of mainstream techno acts, minimal can be somewhat uninteresting in comparison.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I know what you mean. "It doesn't go anywhere" can be a lazy criticism, but it can be valid as well. Context is everything.

I would also like to point out that TallGuy did point out that he can often be hyperbolic, so there's that. i just caught it.
    To Supre:
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

What I find most interesting is that actually putting forth the effort to find the album, download it, confirm it was legit and then listen to it (in total...not a track here an there, fyi) and then ponder just what the fuck it was that grabbed the guy....is being lazy. As Patrick has already stated...context is everything.

I don't like it; others do. Fantastic...let's move the fuck on.

Agreed.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Chris, i'm frankly surprised how much you love the Surgeon album considering a lot of comments you made last year that were pretty much saying, "i don't understand how people can rank albums that don't have full bands of people playing actual live instruments so high" in response to the number of people that really fell in love with the Emeralds album and the like. I guess it just says a lot about how much your taste is changing.

I gave the Surgeon album a spin and it really took a while for anything on it to hit me. It's a bit too repetitive and meandering for my taste, but there are some definite high-points on it. I'll definitely be giving it some more spins.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Chris, i'm frankly surprised how much you love the Surgeon album considering a lot of comments you made last year that were pretty much saying, "i don't understand how people can rank albums that don't have full bands of people playing actual live instruments so high" in response to the number of people that really fell in love with the Emeralds album and the like. I guess it just says a lot about how much your taste is changing.
    Yeah, over the course of the past year I've gotten much better at being able to sort out what I like based on the album itself and letting genre lines just blur and boiling it down to which album I like better overall.

You have a good memory.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The conversation here makes Chris out to be a sort of Coachella Celebrity. I think it's funny.
    "White people's skin is their jewelry." -Heems