Thread: Coachella 2012 Announcement Tuesday May 31st @ 10am

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Default Re: Coachella 2012 Announcement Tuesday May 31st @ 10am

This thread is embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Anybody expecting discounted tickets is being foolish. Why discount something that you can get 70,000 people to willingly pay full price for? This is business, not fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I'm not expecting a discount, just would be a nice bonus.

It is a business but somehow other festivals even ones that sell out faster offer early bird discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Anybody expecting discounted tickets is being foolish. Why discount something that you can get 70,000 people to willingly pay full price for? This is business, not fantasyland.
    Yep, and if they did layaway starting this week, what excuse will ''poor college students'' have when its $30 a month to pay for your ticket?

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha99 View Post
    Dede,

You fit the profile of a friend of mine that flys into Coachella every year. I am wondering if you are one the same? I know he posts on this message board, but never bothered to ask his screen name.

I fly in from Canada. Norm and Jackie fly in from Edmonton.

Am I correct? Or have I come across another Scotsman with excellent musical taste that attends Coachella every year without fail?
    Hey Buddha99,

Are you still enjoying Tinie Tempah and gazing at stars in the night sky?

I received the excellent news this afternoon that our Philly buddies have finally made their move.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Putting tickets on sale before the lineup is announced (not just a presale/layaway allotment) is something the Euro festivals do that Coachella doesn't need to adopt. It's bad form. Coachella would suck for anyone who didn't like a single act. You don't have to like many but 4-5 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    Putting tickets on sale before the lineup is announced (not just a presale/layaway allotment) is something the Euro festivals do that Coachella doesn't need to adopt. It's bad form. Coachella would suck for anyone who didn't like a single act. You don't have to like many but 4-5 at least.
    So how about Austin City Limits and Lollapalooza putting tickets onsale before a line up drops and selling all and or most of them leading up to that announcement? Coachella has crossed the line of ''you need to know the line up before you buy a ticket''. It sold out so quickly this year because people just want to go. And tell me when there was a year you didnt like a single act?

some people are being so fucking g@y in this thread. It's time like these im glad we have suprefan.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

If you do layaway, can you just pay it all at once? I'd like to just pay it all and be done.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    So how about Austin City Limits and Lollapalooza putting tickets onsale before a line up drops and selling all and or most of them leading up to that announcement? Coachella has crossed the line of ''you need to know the line up before you buy a ticket''. It sold out so quickly this year because people just want to go. And tell me when there was a year you didnt like a single act?
    I don't care what other festivals do, that's why I go to Coachella. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, ya know? It sold out in 6 days, not 6 hours, and if it's going to sell out no matter what, why does it benefit GV to put the regular tix on sale before the lineup?

And yeah, there's a few Coachella lineups with a combo of not enough artists I liked and too many I didn't, and that would have been an uninspiring weekend. People who like the artists on the bill should get a shot at tickets.

I don't care what other festivals do, that's why I go to Coachella. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, ya know? It sold out in 6 days, not 6 hours, and if it's going to sell out no matter what, why does it benefit GV to put the regular tix on sale before the lineup?

And yeah, there's a few Coachella lineups with a combo of not enough artists I liked and too many I didn't, and that would have been an uninspiring weekend. People who like the artists on the bill should get a shot at tickets.
    Why dont you ask Glastonbury, which is the festival Coachella is based off of. And there will be a year when it sells out in 6 hours.

If you can't find at least 4 or 5 artists out of the 40-50 listed each day you would like to see, you should not go to Coachella - period.

And if you think about it, the first month or so of layaway is basically an early-bird on-sale, so I don't see the problem of starting that process earlier in the year.

EDIT: And why does the impetus for an an earlier onsale have to be something which directly benefits the festival itself? Why can't it be an "unselfish" way of rewarding those loyal fans who go to the festival each and every year regardless of who is playing?
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 05-30-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Suprefan is right, he's not just trying to get you going. Paul Tollet has spoken on many occasions about his aspirations for Coachella to be the Glastonbury of America. You may not like it, but it's happening. Just be thankful they're putting out info this early.

It's better for you anyways. Would you rather have it sell out with Coachella fans or Lady Gaga fans?

Besides, who says they stick with whatever happens this time after next year ends? There hasnt really been a totally ''consistent'' system put in place for Coachella with tickets. Yes, we have layaway, but will it be every ''summer prior to the following year''? Or in December? Will we be having to take a picture to go with our tickets? Will RV camping return? Maybe thats this coming year, and maybe it wont be the next. Theyre still picking and choosing the best ideas for the festival, so they can be implemented on a permanent basis.

I wish I could find the article, but Tollet said that now that they've reached level of popularity and figured out the whole early wristband thing, they're next focus will be to cut down on scalping and getting the people who want to go into the festival. I assume the picture submission thing is going to happen, at least for the early (possibly cheaper) tickets.

I think that was the l.a. times interview a couple months ago. And no way they make tickets cheaper. Why dont we just be grateful it hasnt increased in the last 4 years since turning into 3 days?

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    If you can't find at least 4 or 5 artists out of the 40-50 listed each day you would like to see, you should not go to Coachella - period.

I have to disagree with this.

If you like one artist on the lineup and have never been - GO!

My first year was 04' and I was really into MSI at the time, so my GF at the time bought me a ticket for Saturday for my bertday.

Had some mushroom tea in the fridge, brought that with me for the road trip. Roommate got rear ended pretty hard on the 60 in the mountains, we get to venue finally, a friend has to scalp his extra ticket, happens to be right in front of a HUGE no scalping sign, we wandered into security, not knowing of what the real deal is, oh and I'm definitely tripping by the this point.

As we wandered in, the bass from (International) Noise Conspiracy was the LOUDEST bass I had ever heard in my life. The whole landscape was a lot to take in. I think we saw Beck's set, then saw the Pixies (who I had no idea who they were, but I was very familiar with their songs from MP3 downloading (#mIRC!). Smoked some AK-47 (when they still had quality flavors), it should be noted also I hadn't smoked in a year and a half due to probation, but at some point you find yourself in a great opportunistic time window.

After that, I ran off to MSI as everyone said - "OH YOU'RE NOT SEEING RADIOHEAD?" MSI's set started before Radiohead and ended before Radiohead. Just seemed to make sense to see my favorite band (at the time - they have fallen off since HORRIBLY). The MSI set was definitely worth it, I remember some guy with a shit kicker cowboy hat, wasted beyond all belief, GOING OFF! Harder than the "too cool for school" 14yr & 15yr kids with their Dad, who was cool. Got some great shot of Urine onstage (main singer's name) with a B&W throw away cam.

Then I saw the end of Radiohead's set, where everyone noted the loud bass coming from the MSI tent. After that we were spent and went home.

(insert cool story bro gif here)
    ANYWHO - point is, I went with the intention of being excited for one band. It turned out to start a yearly birthday tradition of mine.

Just buy your ticket early, this festival has been worth it since it was created. Don't wait for late adds anymore, that was when Coachella was becoming the festival mainstream artist wanted to be apart of (Madonna/Kanye)

But all of us forum addicts knew this already

Why dont you ask Glastonbury, which is the festival Coachella is based off of. And there will be a year when it sells out in 6 hours.
    I don't care to. This isn't Europe. Euros are used to registering for tickets to huge events, then re-selling them to people if the event doesn't have the desired artists/teams involved. This usually creates an even more jacked up scalper market, especially for some of the huge soccer tournaments, because tickets are even harder to get.

Plus fuck an "application." I don't need to apply for the opportunity to give you my money. Here's my money, take it, give me a fucking ticket, if you can't get your shit together in the months leading up to the lineup announcement then you can pay the scalpers $200 extra.

I like how it is now. The hardcore Coachella fans have plenty of time to buy presale/layaway before the festival. The fans of the lineup get a shot at tickets in the public onsale. Why only make one of those groups of people happy?

I don't care to. This isn't Europe. Euros are used to registering for tickets to huge events, then re-selling them to people if the event doesn't have the desired artists/teams involved. This usually creates an even more jacked up scalper market, especially for some of the huge soccer tournaments, because tickets are even harder to get.

Plus fuck an "application." I don't need to apply for the opportunity to give you my money. Here's my money, take it, give me a fucking ticket, if you can't get your shit together in the months leading up to the lineup announcement then you can pay the scalpers $200 extra.

I like how it is now. The hardcore Coachella fans have plenty of time to buy presale/layaway before the festival. The fans of the lineup get a shot at tickets in the public onsale. Why only make one of those groups of people happy?
    You cant scalp a glastonbury ticket. It has your picture and your name on it. Also, scalping is totally illegal for sporting events in the uk, it does not happen like you think. Theyre trying to push legislation to have it apply to music/entertainment also. Yeah, if we were only those european festival with the ridiculous line ups we wish we had, right? There is something TOTALLY WRONG WITH WHAT THEY DO....

And what is wrong with Paul T trying to eliminate the scalper market by putting safeguards like that in place? Does that bother you too? Maybe you just have a problem to committing so early to something. (if thats the case starting tomorrow)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    This thread is embarrassing.
    Yeah this.

You cant scalp a glastonbury ticket. It has your picture and your name on it. Also, scalping is totally illegal for sporting events in the uk, it does not happen like you think. Theyre trying to push legislation to have it apply to music/entertainment also.
    Yeah, tell that to all the people that paid 1400 Euro or more to see the Champions League final in Wembley last weekend. It most definitely happens.

Also, having a large scalper market isn't as bad as everyone says. When you have less tickets available to scalpers, they are able to scalp them at an insane price. When you have a flooded market, the prices always drop when people are patient. Coachella tickets were going for 400-500 by mid-March.

And fuck a name and picture. What if my mother dies and her funeral is that weekend? What if I get laid off and can't afford the weekend anymore? You're asking people to commit that far in advance AND be tied to their ticket in the post-Bush economy...

And what is wrong with Paul T trying to eliminate the scalper market by putting safeguards like that in place? Does that bother you too? Maybe you just have a problem to committing so early to something. (if thats the case starting tomorrow)
    Trust me, I'd love to be able to commit to something that early on, it would mean I had better job security.

old school

1. isn't the 10-year contract for GV regarding festivals at the polo, not coachella in particular?

2. if noise curfew prevented music in the campground on thursday evening, i find it hard to believe they'd get a green light to add another day to the festival..

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    A camera shot of Paul Tollett walking down a long hallway up to a podium...

Tollett: Good morning. Today I can report to the American concert goer, and to the world... Goldenvoice has conducted an operation that signed David Bowie... the big name that has been responsible for headliner rumors and speculation by thousands of men, women and children...

haha
    win

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Yeah, the 2012 announcement is gonna be regarding an event in the fall of 2011.
    don't be stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

OMG ITZ BOWIE NAO

how much did you have to pay each seperate time for layaway last year?

And fuck a name and picture. What if my mother dies and her funeral is that weekend? What if I get laid off and can't afford the weekend anymore? You're asking people to commit that far in advance AND be tied to their ticket in the post-Bush economy...
    If we're going off the Glastonbury system still, they'll have a return system. The last payment is made after the lineup is out. Those people who pull out get 90% of their money back, and the tickets are then released on a lottery system to customers still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    I wish I could find the article, but Tollet said that now that they've reached level of popularity and figured out the whole early wristband thing, they're next focus will be to cut down on scalping and getting the people who want to go into the festival. I assume the picture submission thing is going to happen, at least for the early (possibly cheaper) tickets.
    Here is the link: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...-or-two-a.html

All of the ticketing plans may be revised for 2012. Tollett said he was caught off-guard when Coachella sold out in six days, as previous fests had been on sale for weeks, and typically sold out days before it began. Since the sellout, Goldenvoice has kept an eye on counterfeit tickets -- photos of which are posted on the Coachella site -- and has also taken note of the number of real wristbands being sold on eBay or Craigslist. Had Tollett had any indication that Coachella would have sold out in six days, he said, "We maybe would have made the tickets nontransferable."

Looking ahead, Tollett said he is investigating options, including tickets that could potentially have the buyer's name and photo on them. "There is something hard about this," Tollett said. "Some people will buy two or four tickets, or maybe even six, and they do plan to take their friends. They may not know which friends. They just know they’re going and they’re hoping they have a girlfriend in three months. So if you make everyone put the name on the ticket, it changes the flexibility.

"So that’s hard," he continued, "but then you see everyone re-selling them."

If we're going off the Glastonbury system still, they'll have a return system. The last payment is made after the lineup is out. Those people who pull out get 90% of their money back, and the tickets are then released on a lottery system to customers still interested.
    This I can at least accept, though I still don't like not being able to buy a ticket for a friend, nor do I like not being able to sell my ticket to a friend that I know really wants to go. If I can't go, I want my ticket going to a cool person, not Tommy Techno Elitist who stands around bitching about Odd Future being in the Sahara.

This I can at least accept, though I still don't like not being able to buy a ticket for a friend, nor do I like not being able to sell my ticket to a friend that I know really wants to go. If I can't go, I want my ticket going to a cool person, not Tommy Techno Elitist who stands around bitching about Odd Future being in the Sahara.
    They're aware of it. It's a valid concern. Read the article beartrash dug up.

I imagine transfers before a certain date in March would work, with refunds the week before. Sounds fine to me. People will just have to plan better and early. Price you pay for the experience which is becoming quite limited with the amount of people wanting to attend in the world.
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 05-30-2011 at 03:25 PM.

They're aware of it. It's a valid concern. Read the article beartrash dug up.

" "Looking ahead, Tollett said he is investigating options, including tickets that could potentially have the buyer's name and photo on them. "There is something hard about this," Tollett said. "Some people will buy two or four tickets, or maybe even six, and they do plan to take their friends. They may not know which friends. They just know they’re going and they’re hoping they have a girlfriend in three months. So if you make everyone put the name on the ticket, it changes the flexibility.

"So that’s hard," he continued, "but then you see everyone re-selling them." "
    was it really necessary to repeat the post 2 above yours nearly word for word?

Quote Originally Posted by manalive! View Post
    was it really necessary to repeat the post 2 above yours nearly word for word?
    I realized this, then edited it. Yah.