Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bassnectar

Default Bassnectar Saturday @ coachella!

Has he ever played at Coachella?

I love him.

edit:
    his website says he'll be playing on the saturday night!
    http://tickets.bassnectar.net/evinfo...tid=13808&sid=
    Last edited by jayce; 04-07-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: Bassnectar

I doubt he'll ever do coachella. Bonnaroo maybe, but not for a couple years IMO.

bonnaroo predictions for next year and the years after are already rolling in

Maybe not coachella, but he is kicking off a tour tomorrow.

UPCOMING TOUR DATES
    03/15/07 Mercury Hall Church Austin, TX
    03/26/07 8150 Club Vail, CO
    03/27/07 Dobson Ice Arena Vail, CO
    03/30/07 Veterans Memorial Building Santa Cruz, CA
    03/31/07 DNA Lounge San Francisco, CA
    04/03/07 Ashland Armory Ashland, OR
    04/04/07 The Grove Bend, OR
    04/05/07 WOW Hall Eugene, OR
    04/06/07 City Repair Space Portland, OR
    04/07/07 Fenix Underground Seattle

^ I know. That's why I posted this. He'll be in Vancouver on April 13th. I also saw him here in December.

Banned

Lorin molested Jackstraw94086.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$ View Post
    Lorin molested Jackstraw94086.
    at 105 bpm

omg
    his website says he'll be playing at coachella
    @$$

http://tickets.bassnectar.net/evinfo...tid=13808&sid=

bass will be at wakarusa, but then most people here dont know what wakarusa is .. i am going there and then to the roo ... life is great .. cr****

whoa it does say he'll be at coachella

jesus fucking christ. who'd a thunk it.

If I didn't see him at least half a dozen times a year I might even consider going to coachella, although he'll probably be early and that would suck.
    This is it. Bassnectar is about to explode. He'll be the one of the prime buzz acts this year. His album release party last saturday was insane. The album is sick.

Congratulations valarie and justin.

Check out his new video.

btw for all the bay area people, make sure you catch him in at his next SF show at Mighty 5/11. I guarantee this will sell.

if there is no conflicts, i'll check him out in the gobi (assuming he'll be in there)

old school

thats a terrible name for a party. terrible.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    thats a terrible name for a party. terrible.
    trust me dude, I know. This is actually the second annual "freqo de mayo". I cringed when the votes were counted last year, but now the event is (hopefully) a regular thing. The name is stuck.

Fuck the name though, it's going to be one of the craziest parties in SF all year.

uhh what the fuck is a freqo?

AAAAAAAAAYYYYAHAHAHYAYYAYAWOOOO WHAT WHAT

you have to come to coachella

HOLYSHITDOGBATMAN!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    btw for all the bay area people, make sure you catch him in at his next SF show at Mighty 5/11. I guarantee this will sell.

if I was in SF that wknd, Id go...even though some of these DJs have some terrible names.
    I thought that one dudes name was SOULSALAMI.

racist.

i just noticed it says

"an evening of nuschool beats, latin flavored goodies, & loose morality".

what exactly is "latin" flavor?

old school

if you have to ask, you ll never know.

i'm supposed to be seeing him this friday in vancouver, but now i'm wondering if i should just wait for coachella?

i'll also see him this summer at shambhala music festival. he's been a fixture there for years.

can't get enough of this guy

I've never been to a show of his before! I have his cds and I love him from the sporkmixes. This is just another incredible addition that I can't miss.

Just pretty much the freshest sound to me from electronic genre.

plus Lorin just seems like such a good fucking dude, whatever he says that I read that he says is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    i'm supposed to be seeing him this friday in vancouver, but now i'm wondering if i should just wait for coachella?

i'll also see him this summer at shambhala music festival. he's been a fixture there for years.

can't get enough of this guy
    I'm not sure why you're even wondering. If they were 3 similar shows I'd say you could skip one or two, but see at least the vancouver and shambala shows. Those will be his freshest material because those crowds are familiar with him. Vancouver is a new album tour and shabmala, well it'll be shambala. God I would love to be there, but it's too close to the burn.

He'll be awesome at coachella too, but likely playing some older stuff, which will still be incredible. I almost wish I was going to be at coachella to see some of the reactions to him. I would love to see people freaking out to him for the first time. I'm not putting the coachella crowd down as being ignorant, just the opposite actually. The reason I hang around this board is that coachella fans are so open minded (some of them), and peeps who are open to music are usually smart and fun to mess with, and fun to be messed with by. I can already imagine the hipster crew on the outskirts with folded arms nodding their heads and eventually be drawn uncontrollably in to the fracas. Of course some will take off and call him a fake DJ. It's true a lot of his set is prepared beforehand, but I know exactly how hard he works on it, I've seen him dozens of times and it's always a unique show.

While it may not be a standard bassnectar show I think it'll still be an amazing experience. The guy plays 150 shows a year in roughly the same spots and still sells out every one of them, and he fetches a fucking hefty fee for most of them (although he could have been making far more at this point if that was his motivation). There's a reason for that. And he's given the underground way more than its fair share. He's due all that comes to him, and I'm thrilled that he's able to reach so many more people.

I know some people will hate on him, it's not for everyone, but he's the one performer I'll let it completely slide with. He's a solid guy personally too. There's a faction here that are upset by his recent explosion because he's going to be less accessible to us here in SF, but he's the hardest working guy in the business (yes, more than James Brown was) and he deserves ridiculous success and the opportunity to channel new energy. I'm happy for him, and happy for you guys who rarely get to see him, and especially those who've never seen him. He'll be upset by the fact that they won't let people on stage with him, but he'll deal. (this is one of the things I don't mind about a Girl Talk too). He once told me he feels like a skinny asshole standing up on stage by himself. He likes being in the middle of the party and feeling the music on the same level as everyone else. who doesn't? He's such a humble guy for being so worshipped in this scene. I hope he's in the mojave at least. second choice would be gobi. Sahara is just too big and not balanced well for the amount of bass that he'll be pushing. Whatever, just see him and hopefully you're interested enough to see him at a real show. Fuck the "scene", and the feather and leather and fedoras. You all deserve him. (valarie, that just might be directed at you, next time I tell you there's a bassnectar show you go do not pass go, you do not collect $200, you just go straight there. He'll be less common soon).

btw, I'll relay some of what he said at the album release. he's been around extremists (including himself) and intense energy around here to know that people can overextend themselves on too many causes and ultimately accomplish nothing (which those who know me on this board know that that's a concept I fervently agree with). In order to affect change you have to pick your battles. Lorin cares about a great many causes, but the subject he picked for his new album is net neutrality. It may sound trivial given all the other bullshit going on in this country, but keeping the net free of corporate control and keeping free and even subversive opinions, even the opinions of those you do not agree with, available to all is fucking essential. We take it for granted since we here are free thinkers and see past a lot of bullshit, but you have to remember that there are a great many people in this country who are fed opinions. The general coachella type crowd are going to be the prime figures in that battle.

fuck I just typed a lot of bullshit. I'm tipsy. this is the most love you'll ever see out of me. fuck you all. I'm going to find something else to keep me busy. dammit I hate you all.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 04-08-2007 at 02:53 AM.

Jack, what would you recommend to start with from Bassnectar, for a complete ignorant. I'll see him without fail, due to this recommendation, but it'd be cool to hear some of his mixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

His first "official" album is Mesmerizing the Ultra. It's a double CD, the second containing a lot of the old material that was previously only available on the old unofficial releases that you can only bootleg at this point. Mesmerizing the Ultra is probably the most value you'll ever get out of a CD purchase (my extreme biased opinion, of course)

His new album drops 4/24 I think, and it's perhaps a little less accessible, but still incredible. I'm really trying to add some criticism of his work here for balance, but I'm finding trouble. He's such a ubiquitous presence and still the only thing people fault him for is that his music seems somewhat unfinished, but that's part of his aesthetic. EDIT: actually come to think of it there actually are a significant amount of haters even here, but the hating is mostly directed at his "scene" and unconditional abject worship, but usually not the music itself. The fedora fashion club can be annoying, but when the music's playing you forget all about it and everyone's just happy. Believe or not, I can be happy and forgiving. Everyone I've turned on to him has loved him (but then again they're usually folks who are usually into that kind of music anyway).

Here's a couple tracks I've used in past sporkmixes that you won't find on his albums.

snakecharmer
    Not may people can pull off midtempo on a dancefloor. He's the fucking master at it. somewhere between 100-105 is truly the spanktempo. This was huge a couple years ago. He wrote it with Kraddy, but couldn't release it because of a sample.

So Butterfly
    This is one his mellow IDMish tracks. He drives dancefloors insane, literally (... in the almost literal sense), but he's can also do downtempo with the best of them. I kind of wish he did more.

EDIT: actually I'll add an uptempo track just for balance
    This is freq nasty's remix of Everybody.
    It's from Mesmerizing but I don't think he'd mind. Actually it's from the 12" release so it's got a really long intro and tail. You'll probably not hear this kind of stuff from him unless he's in the sahara late. If you get a show like I saw last saturday, it'll have a lot of hip hop mixes. Pray you get his jazz track. pray. he said he wasn't going to play it anymore at new years.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 04-08-2007 at 11:21 AM.

old school

Jack,
    Im really diggin' these tracks. Ill check him out @ Coachella.

damn... I missed him last night @ the fenix underground. Had to work. Couldnt get out of it.
    Alright... I regret the screen name.