View Poll Results: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Farina

    22 46.81%
  • FlyLo

    25 53.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

  1. #1
    old school juloxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    4,072

    Default DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    This comparison came up from a debate I had with a couple of buddies. Just curious too see which one of these psychedelic affiliated artists are preferred by the Coachella boards (and I guess which of them is more popular). Both are cool in my book though.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

  2. #2
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,533

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    i'd rather listen to house than flying lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Not sure how these two are even comparable, but Farina.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  4. #4

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Comparing these 2 artists just makes no sense. Usually when comparing 2 things it's 2 things that are similar, the only similarity here is that they are both DJ's.

  5. #5
    Member darkjustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

  6. #6

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Dumb

    This is like comparing The NY Yankees with a high school baseball team. FLY LO by a mile.

  7. #7
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Farina. Rasooli you're a fucking moron who doesn't know his history.

    P.S. You're a fucking moron. If I didn't make that clear enough. And not because you chose flylo. Because of your idiotic reasoning.

    2nd edit: seriously, i'm in awe of how stupid that comparison is. Wow. Do you even know who Mark Farina is? High school baseball team? You're out of your fucking mind haha.
    Last edited by ods..; 05-18-2011 at 04:51 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Mark uses cdj's, flylo prefers his laptop and other equipment.

    Mark has been doing this since 1988.

  9. #9
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    8,675

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    Mark uses cdj's, flylo prefers his laptop and other equipment.

    Mark has been doing this since 1988.
    What are you saying tho?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

  10. #10
    Member wscmx13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Costa Mesa
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Fly lo!!!
    Friday Lou Reed, Modest Mouse,Beach House,Infected Mushroom, Johnny Marr,Wolfgang Gartner, Four Tet, TNGT, Earl Sweatshirt, Lee Scratch Perry, Dam Funk


    Saturday
    the XX, New Order, Knife Party, Violent Femmes, SMD, Major LAzer, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Booka Shade, Bingo Players, Pusha T, Trash Talk

    Sunday
    RHCP, Nick Cave, Vampire Weekend, Social D, Wu Tang,Eric Prydz, Lumineers, James Blake, Grimes, Raider Klan, Roni Size, Smith Westerns

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie fikus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    8,731

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    House >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bass music
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

  12. #12
    old school juloxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    Comparing these 2 artists just makes no sense. Usually when comparing 2 things it's 2 things that are similar, the only similarity here is that they are both DJ's.
    Come on dude, just think for a minute before you come to a stupid assumption like that. You dont associate listening to flying lotus tripping? How bout Mark Farina? He has a fucking album called mushroom jazz. We were just talking about a dj set of who we would rather have playing in the background in a theoretical trip.

    Anyways, it just sprung from a conversation I had and I was curious to make a poll. It aint that big of a deal
    Last edited by juloxx; 05-18-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

  13. #13
    Member GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    I could give a shit about history. I'll take Flying Lotus any day. Sober or tripping.

    Although the fact that I'm agreeing with Rasooli makes me question myself...

  14. #14
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    It really should.

    edit: listen to Mushroom Jazz 3. But make sure to take Lucy with you. I love Flylo. Mark's on some other.

  15. #15
    Member witham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    I've listened to Mark Farina but it's never really kept my attention, but Fly Lo has. I guess I'll listen to my Farina again before I vote. I didn't realize he was so acclaimed.
    '10, '11, '12.1, '13.1, '14.1

  16. #16
    Member kronz420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    palm desert/Pomona
    Posts
    773

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    San Francisco sessions Vol 1 FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,245

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Farina. Rasooli you're a fucking moron who doesn't know his history.

    P.S. You're a fucking moron. If I didn't make that clear enough. And not because you chose flylo. Because of your idiotic reasoning.

    2nd edit: seriously, i'm in awe of how stupid that comparison is. Wow. Do you even know who Mark Farina is? High school baseball team? You're out of your fucking mind haha.
    I had a feeling that you would have a strong reaction like this. Are you related to Farina or something because you get awfully defensive of him in just about any thread where he's mentioned.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

  18. #18
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by witham View Post
    I've listened to Mark Farina but it's never really kept my attention, but Fly Lo has. I guess I'll listen to my Farina again before I vote. I didn't realize he was so acclaimed.
    The guy is one of the greatest house DJ's to ever grace the decks. If you're a fan of dance music and don't realize how big of an impact Farina has made over the past 20 years then you need to start doing some research.

    I have nothing against Flying Lotus, but if you are a fan of house music (and I am not talking about the "house" music that acts like Swedish House Mafia and Dirty South play) and you didn't pick Farina then you need to go back and listen to his catalog. But if the house music you enjoy is club cheese or borderline trance, then Farina probably isn't for you.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,533

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    He has a fucking album called mushroom jazz.
    lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  20. #20
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I had a feeling that you would have a strong reaction like this. Are you related to Farina or something because you get awfully defensive of him in just about any thread where he's mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    The guy is one of the greatest house DJ's to ever grace the decks. If you're a fan of dance music and don't realize how big of an impact Farina has made over the past 20 years then you need to start doing some research.
    I guess I get defensive because I feel like he is very overlooked, even by people who claim know a lot about music.

    And I get defensive because Farina and his music mean a lot of me (Read: Lucy). He's an absolute legend on the decks and one of the most acclaimed CD-DJs ever.

    Fly-Lo makes great music, and he is a good DJ who uses Serato, but to me, he is not in the same league as Farina. The movement of Chicago/San Francisco deep-house and downtempo wouldn't be where it is without Farina, period.

    For the people who don't know Mark's music or reputation, I beg you to check out his Mushroom Jazz mixes. The best way for anyone to get into his music/mindset. Amazing hiphop/downtempo/jazz perfectly mixed. It's soundtrack to life music.


  21. #21
    Member Newro7ic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The LBC
    Posts
    1,198

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Yup- This thread is still retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

  22. #22

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Why are these two artists being compared again?

  23. #23
    old school juloxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    The guy is one of the greatest house DJ's to ever grace the decks. If you're a fan of dance music and don't realize how big of an impact Farina has made over the past 20 years then you need to start doing some research.
    Mark Farina Live in Tokyo is the best DJ set I have ever heard in my life. Its not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Yup- This thread is still retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phunkevil View Post
    Why are these two artists being compared again?
    Christ is it that wrong to make a poll? I was just having a conversation with some buddies about psychedelic influenced music and I wanted to know which of the two is more popular with these boards. There is a thread about music involving fucking monkeys, if your gonna whine and complain about random threads start with that, then make your way here.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

    Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

  24. #24
    Member Newro7ic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The LBC
    Posts
    1,198

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Christ is it that wrong to make a poll? I was just having a conversation with some buddies about psychedelic influenced music and I wanted to know which of the two is more popular with these boards. There is a thread about music involving fucking monkeys, if your gonna whine and complain about random threads start with that, then make your way here.
    I've seen both. They are both great at what they do. The poll doesn't say anything about which is better while under the influence, which just leads us to believe that it's a comparison of the two artists based on their work.

    Fail poll is fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    This is like comparing The NY Yankees with a high school baseball team. FLY LO by a mile.
    Look, FlyLo is great at what he does, but, seriously, get your head out of your ass. This is a terrible analogy.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  26. #26

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    What are you saying tho?
    im saying mark has been doing it significantly longer than flylo, so out of respect it would be wise not to compare the two.

    do you not understand why i mentioned the equipment?

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,245

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    im saying mark has been doing it significantly longer than flylo, so out of respect it would be wise not to compare the two.

    do you not understand why i mentioned the equipment?
    i agree that mark farina is better. but by your logic that'd like saying we should respect bon jovi because they've been around longer than radiohead.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

  28. #28

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    please don't compare mark to bon jovi.

  29. #29
    old school gmoneyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Re...no
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    I like them both, but Farina's show are more entertaining and varied.

  30. #30
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: DJ Mark Farina or Flying Lotus?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    I like them both, but Farina's show are more entertaining and varied.
    This. If you chose Flylo I doubt you've seen Mark spin.

Similar Threads

  1. Flying Lotus
    By evasquez7 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM
  2. Mark Farina @ Supperclub
    By juloxx in forum So Cal
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM
  3. Flying Lotus??? Really?
    By mikeycarbajal in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
  4. FLYING LOTUS
    By mbillings in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
  5. Add Mark Farina to the lineup please.
    By digitalmau5 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •