Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadmau5 - Hollywood Palladium 8/25/11

Default Re: Deadmau5 - Hollywood Palladium 8/25/11

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    He has pre-recorded sets that are basically choreographed to his 750,000 dollars worth of LED screens. It gets old after youve seen it a few times.
    Couldn't you say the same thing about Daft?

/devil's advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I dig The Fiver.

He gets a bad rap because of his awful, underage following, and of course, the Mau5-heads. It's a terrible crowd that most, understandably, cannot stand to be around.

Musically he isn't brilliant by any means, but there are certainly worse options out there, i.e. Skrilly Vanilly.

Agreed
    Last edited by NachoCat; 08-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Daft Punk has been putting out quality jams since the mid 90's, please dont compare them to Deadmau5.

Ive watched the Mau5 progress and become more and more popular by the second. People hate on whats popular.... but lets face it. He has pre-recorded sets that are basically choreographed to his 750,000 dollars worth of LED screens. It gets old after youve seen it a few times.
    Like I said, I'm not comparing him to Daft Punk musically. However, this new setup is much more of a "live" setup than the last tour. He was manipulating and mixing a lot last night. Just sayin
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Couldn't you say the same thing about Daft?

/devil's advocate
    no... Daft Punk, believe it or not, mix their own tracks live.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

But it's essentially choreographed to go with the light show.

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    I completely agree with this post. I can't figure out where the hate for Deadmau5 started on this board, but his new setup is flat out brilliant. The visuals are seriously some of the best I've seen. He has $750,000 dollars in led screens for christ sake!! And to be able see him in a small round venue like the Palladium makes so you can have a great spot no matter where you stand. Think about it, he just played in front of 40,000 people at Lolla and now you LA folks can see him with about 1,500 people. He doesn't go on til midnight so those is no excuse for those of you who work in the evening. Go see this show!! He'll probably be main stage next year with this setup so this gives you a chance to get a great spot and see what it's all about.
    Have any of you ever gone back and watched the Daft Punk setup from 06? It kinda looks archaic now. It was groundbreaking and amazing but I'll take Deadmau5's visuals over DP's any day. Maybe they haven't toured again because of the pressure to come up with something as amazing as Deadmau5, Amon tobin's new set up, or plastikman's visuals so they are hesitant to come back. Don't get me wrong, musically Daft Punk is a different beast, but I am not ashamed to profess my love for the Mau5.
    Everybody on here loves Daft Punk but hates Deadmau5. It makes no sense. Give the fiver another chance this weekend!! You won't regret it.
    DeadmauFive is hated because of his arrogance and his fans. There are the few tracks I like from him but as a whole he's nothing too special and people act like he's the greatest thing in the fuckin world. Since music is the main thing I go out for I want to hear great music, something Deadmaus can't provide in my opinion.

Theres kids lined up outside the palladium already.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    DeadmauFive is hated because of his arrogance and his fans. There are the few tracks I like from him but as a whole he's nothing too special and people act like he's the greatest thing in the fuckin world. Since music is the main thing I go out for I want to hear great music, something Deadmaus can't provide in my opinion.
    I can honestly say I've never chosen to see or not see an artist based on their fans. I'm not there to hang out with the fans. Also, who cares if someone is arrogant? Aren't most rock stars? That bring said, if you don't care for his music I understand why you wouldn't pay to see him.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Deadmau5 tomorrow. Can't wait to watch all the little kiddies goin crazy for him. Will I feel old being 22 at this show? Yes. But that won't stop me from having a great ass time.
    2013: Tool first three time Headliner.

You'll feel a of a lot better than if you were 46.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Daft Punk has been putting out quality jams since the mid 90's, please dont compare them to Deadmau5.

Ive watched the Mau5 progress and become more and more popular by the second. People hate on whats popular.... but lets face it. He has pre-recorded sets that are basically choreographed to his 750,000 dollars worth of LED screens. It gets old after youve seen it a few times.
    ^^^ what this dude says..deadmau5 is ok..nothing wrong if you like him or not but shit gets old after 20-30 min
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

I completely agree with this post. I can't figure out where the hate for Deadmau5 started on this board, but his new setup is flat out brilliant. The visuals are seriously some of the best I've seen. He has $750,000 dollars in led screens for christ sake!! And to be able see him in a small round venue like the Palladium makes so you can have a great spot no matter where you stand. Think about it, he just played in front of 40,000 people at Lolla and now you LA folks can see him with about 1,500 people. He doesn't go on til midnight so those is no excuse for those of you who work in the evening. Go see this show!! He'll probably be main stage next year with this setup so this gives you a chance to get a great spot and see what it's all about.
    Have any of you ever gone back and watched the Daft Punk setup from 06? It kinda looks archaic now. It was groundbreaking and amazing but I'll take Deadmau5's visuals over DP's any day. Maybe they haven't toured again because of the pressure to come up with something as amazing as Deadmau5, Amon tobin's new set up, or plastikman's visuals so they are hesitant to come back. Don't get me wrong, musically Daft Punk is a different beast, but I am not ashamed to profess my love for the Mau5.
    Everybody on here loves Daft Punk but hates Deadmau5. It makes no sense. Give the fiver another chance this weekend!! You won't regret it.

i don't get how you can compare what daft punk did in 06 to what deadmau5 is doing now?
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

It's kind of like living in corona and being able to buy a 4 bedroom house for $400,000 instead of buying a 1 bedroom in soon to be silverlake for $600,000.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I can honestly say I've never chosen to see or not see an artist based on their fans. I'm not there to hang out with the fans. Also, who cares if someone is arrogant? Aren't most rock stars? That bring said, if you don't care for his music I understand why you wouldn't pay to see him.
    It's like seeing a drum n bass act at Respect as opposed to seeing them at a rave. Respect is going to be 10x better because the crowd itself adds a vibe to an event that plays a big part in my enjoyment. If I'm at an event surounded by 16-19 year old bro's and skanks rolling balls giving lightshows for the love of the glove it's not going to be as much fun as a show full of people who act like adults. At a rave it's expected, but at a one-off event showcasing a certain artist it's not something I want to deal with.

To sum up Deadmau5's show last night, the music was great, the crowd was somewhat tolerable, and the lights do get old after 20 or 30 minutes. I rate it at about a C
    2010 * 2011 * 2012.1 * 2013.2

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

It's like seeing a drum n bass act at Respect as opposed to seeing them at a rave. Respect is going to be 10x better because the crowd itself adds a vibe to an event that plays a big part in my enjoyment. If I'm at an event surounded by 16-19 year old bro's and skanks rolling balls giving lightshows for the love of the glove it's not going to be as much fun as a show full of people who act like adults. At a rave it's expected, but at a one-off event showcasing a certain artist it's not something I want to deal with.
    this kinda reminds me of the frustration that some people have with the festival crowds these days. kids who go to these things with the number one priority being to just get fucked up and the music is secondary.

November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

anyone have an extra sunday ticket they want to sell me for face value? inbox me!

If all else fails try the box office Sunday night, they were releasing a couple tickets on Friday night for face.

Quote Originally Posted by choice cat View Post
    If all else fails try the box office Sunday night, they were releasing a couple tickets on Friday night for face.
    this is great news thank u so much!

Exactly what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I think it's complete fucking bullshit to go from a year with Mount Kimbie, Ramadanman, Kode 9, Joy Orbison, and Goth Trad (not to mention all the dnb) to getting Datsik, Borgore, Flux Pavillion, and Doctor fucking P.
    2013 Wishlist:
    Joker - Matty G - Mala - Loefah - Darkside - Youngsta - Joe Nice - Biome - Burial - Compa - Pinch - Kryptic Minds - Zomby - Phaeleh - Skream (screw Benga) - Hatcha - Truth - Tunnidge - Lurka - Phace - Black Sun Empire - London Elektricity - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    this kinda reminds me of the frustration that some people have with the festival crowds these days. kids who go to these things with the number one priority being to just get fucked up and the music is secondary.
    I disagree. I'm 21 and have taken my brother who's 15 to Coachella the past two years. We don't get fucked up. We just chill out, bond, and listen to good music. /I'm probably in the minority for my age
    2010 * 2011 * 2012.1 * 2013.2

I had a blast on Thursday night. Palladium holds 4,000 and he just finished shows in Europe playing for more than 10x that. This was perhaps my 12th time since that afternoon Sahara set at Coachella 2008 and I think he's getting better and more playful. The sound is always fantastic there with big bottom and the audience went berserk the whole show. I don't care who comes to the show and I don't care if some of it is merely Press Play - deadmau5 makes me crazy when I get to see him live.

Why do people hate Deadmau5?

Skrillex may not be the main reason why, but he definitely adds to the fire. Even Skrilly Willy is lamenting this photo knowing he looks like that girl.

BUT I DIGRESS,

When I first discovered Deadmause, I had downloaded his "Goes to Vegas" mix, its got some great mixes (I love the "Complicated" track), but as the mix progresses, I find it very easy to get lost from the music and focus on something else. He brings it back at some points, but never fully kills it.

On the audience perspective, its way more fun to be around people enjoying the music not RELYING on drugs to enhance their experience and acting like dumb asses tripping over everyone and begging for water from strangers as they have stared at your water bottle like zombies for the last two songs. At least offer me a massage you rolly-polliis

Because its too hard to say - My body needs water, I'll be back in 5, Mr. Music.

I'll be heading in tonight for his set, and we'll see how he does..

I'm going to start attending Skrillex & Deadmau5 shows so I can sell piperazines to underage high school kids.

I went on Friday...had a good time. The crowd was mediocre but not as bad as I'd psyched myself into thinking they'd be. Deadmau5 wasn't overwhelming but I'd say going to this was worth it.

But geez, Deadmau5, please get some better warm up acts. Excision was intolerable.

He had Jason Bentley open over the weekend shows. So yeah, there was quality for at least 2 shows.

Did Tommy Lee and DJ Aero play as well on Saturday and Sunday? And Excision?

Tommy Lee definitely played on Saturday if you called it that...."

Does he still wear the mouse costume when he performs? I've seen him a couple times at festivals and that's really the only thing I remember. His music isn't really good or bad in my opinion, just not particularly memorable.

Went Sunday @ Midnight, got blessed with some VIP and went in. While waiting for my friend I could hear Deadmaus BOOMING from outside.

His visual setup was very impressive, also very similar setup to a certain prophetic robot stage. (Feed my trolls, feed!) He's definitely had some impressive visuals that fed my video game nostalgia, some other visuals weren't anything new for electronic music, some seemed even a little half assed.
    Whatever track he was playing that had the black pyramids scanning over and over, well I felt with the booming beat going on, some armies of pink elephants would've killed it, but that's me.

Now for the hate:
    Now what was with the female vocalist whom he reveals half way through her track that she's lip syncing?! As far as tracks go, I felt his mixing theory wasn't present, unless his preference is to go from one thing to another without thought of transition.

He had a trance/house track hyping up the whole Palladium for a good minute and then went to this odd dubstep stop in the music world.The mind felt more focused on the buzzing mouse animation more than the music at that point. Wish I had a better camera in to show the difference in the crowd from the trance/house to dubstep. When the dubstep came on, you saw a few single arms thrown up and lethargically praising the beat, you could see the crowd's energy being drained. The shufflers were not having it. At all.

He went back to trance/house whatever you wanna call his usual style and the booty shaking continued. The crowd was fun, and the people in the VIP area were really cool not to shove eachother out of the way, there was this one guy in a red shirt who was IN LOVE with the music the whole night. I didn't think a guy of that size could bounce so much. And thank you group of drunk girls who just wanted to rub their asses against whatever was near by. I dont think that ever offends anyone.

All in all, he was entertaining to see, I wouldn't say worth $50, maybe $30. In this economy, we must be choosy of who we throw our money at blindly.

Who has Amon Tobin tickets btw I'll pay anything for seats at the Music Box.
    (Fuck Pomona)

EDIT: @ Bobert: He switched up the mouse head a few times, he had a very impressive LED one that coordinated with the visuals in the background and for the last few songs he threw on a white one (looked like an unfinished head)

And I think he or someone else popped out as a ghost ala - sheet with holes cut in it for eyes. That was fucking random. Many were confused.
    Last edited by Mugwog; 08-31-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I love string cheese and I need you to know