Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldenvoice Releases Record-Breaking Numbers for Coachella, Big 4 & Stagecoach Fests

Default Goldenvoice Releases Record-Breaking Numbers for Coachella, Big 4 & Stagecoach Fests

$$$$

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...05173752.story

Three mega-events in the California desert represent a remarkable accomplishment for California promoter Goldenvoice, the AEG subsidiary headed by Paul Tollett that, over the course of two weeks, produced three major festivals at the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Calif.: the Coachella Music Festival April 17-19, the Big 4 fest (featuring Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax) on April 23, and the Stagecoach Country Music Festival April 30-May 1.

The events posted a combined gross of more than $38 million and an aggregate attendance of more than 380,000, according to Goldenvoice officials.

The Coachella fest, with headliners Kings Of Leon, Arcade Fire, the Strokes and Kanye West, sold out again this year, accomplishing that feat in just six days. Coachella, one of the elite rock festivals in North America, drew 75,000 paid attendees per day over three days, for a gross of about $23 million and aggregate attendance of 225,000. The gross is up from $21.7 million last year and is a record for the festival.

The Big 4, the only gathering of the four major metal acts in North America, drew 49,400 paid, with a $5.5 million gross.

Stagecoach, headlined by Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood, drew 55,000 paid each day for two days, generating a gross of just under $10 million. That's another record for Stagecoach, which grossed $7.3 million last year and drew an aggregate of 88,243.

Default Re: Goldenvoice Releases Record-Breaking Numbers for Coachella, Big 4 & Stagecoach Fe

Gross.
    Less everything that costs money.

I'd like to know what the profit was.

Default Re: Goldenvoice Releases Record-Breaking Numbers for Coachella, Big 4 & Stagecoach Fe

This means Bowie next year right?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Gross.

Keep in mind, they are only counting ticket sales, no concessions AT ALL. You know thats a ton of money thats not even being thrown in the mix. If I recall correctly, they had a ''budget'' of 15 mil or so one year.
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Gross.

That'd be more helpful, but if it was the highest grossing fest on record (and featured less-expensive headliners than some years past), you can guess it was the most profitable one yet as well.

I guess they didn't scale back the Coachella tickets after all. I remember an article linked to on the board quoted Paul T. as saying they were going to sell fewer tickets something similar.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

I'd be interested to know how much profit they make off those $9 Heini's. How many kegs do you think they go through in a weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    this, and a White Stripes farewell show....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    I guess they didn't scale back the Coachella tickets after all. I remember an article linked to on the board quoted Paul T. as saying they were going to sell fewer tickets something similar.
    I am pretty sure they did. Wasn't there an article released the week of the festival (I can't seem to find it now, although I think GPS posted it) where Paul T. said that the actual attendance for 2010 was probably around 105k and that 15k were able to sneak in? That would mean a reduction of 15k in tickets available/sold from last year to this year.

EDIT: found the article and never mind, I misread it (the 90k was the maximum capacity Indio PD allowed, not the number of tickets sold; that appeared to either stay the same or decrease by 5k).

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48121
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 05-06-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    He only said fewer people onsite. Chop out most gatecrasher oppurtunities, tighten band guestlists and cut out the volunteers onsite.

Nope. It guarantees Daft Punk.

Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I'd be interested to know how much profit they make off those $9 Heini's. How many kegs do you think they go through in a weekend?
    About 14 trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Which weekend is a better question... We had a friend working the beer gardens and he said both the headbangers and the cowboys done drank your asses under the table.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

guessing the other 2 fests skewed towards an older crowd, so way more people that were able to buy drinks.

more people on drugs = less beer consumed. Makes sense to me.

The Stagecoach crowd is seriously drunk all day long. Morning to night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I think it means GV doesn't feel it'll have to shell out the big bucks for Bowie now that they can sell this fest out no problem with the biggest name being Kayne. womp womp
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    this, and a White Stripes farewell show....
    that would be so sick

whiney pain in butt

white stripes is never going to happen. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    white stripes is never going to happen. sorry.
    good.. it's just another band that's better suited playing whiskey bars than large outdoor venues.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Excellent. The more money GV makes the more they have to reinvest in the festival, which they've done for the past few years. GV keeps selling out festivals, we get an amazing show, everyone is happy.

Lurker

i say keep selling out too, if ur smart u buy ur tickets right away or on layaway or however and u dont wait for a lineup to roll out. the stuff they did with creators project was pretty sweet i thought, i say keep making it better. they definitely improved year over year in facilities. but throwing up kings of leon and kanye? i would have just rather seen more black keys on friday and more strokes on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by pa7156 View Post
    i say keep selling out too, if ur smart u buy ur tickets right away or on layaway or however and u dont wait for a lineup to roll out. the stuff they did with creators project was pretty sweet i thought, i say keep making it better. they definitely improved year over year in facilities. but throwing up kings of leon and kanye? i would have just rather seen more black keys on friday and more strokes on sunday.
    well said
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Way better than last year. Stupid fence jumpers almost ruined it. This year was much much much better. Still too many bro's though.

So how is this profit compared to other festivals?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Which weekend is a better question... We had a friend working the beer gardens and he said both the headbangers and the cowboys done drank your asses under the table.
    big4 and stagecoach don't have heine, they have bud/bud light, and stage has a microbrew tent and full service bars in the tents..

and you can walk around with your beer. you better believe that increases sales, watching bands AND drinking at the same time..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    So how is this profit compared to other festivals?
    I don't know how accurate this statement is, but last year when I saw Hot Hot Heat, I talked to their drummer for a while after the show about Coachella 2003 (The year they played).

Through the course of the conversation he stated that Coachella is the only big music festival in this country that turns out a profit more often than not. I'm sure someone can potentially debunk this, as it would not make sense to run some of these other big festivals on an annual basis without generating some form of consistent profit, but I found the comment to be interesting to say the least.

I have very little doubt that it makes the most profit.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    That's because Coachella has a greater percent of hard core music fans than Stage Coach. The friends of mine who go to Stage Coach don't even particularly care for country music- they just go to party and get drunk. While my friends and I like to party too, we spend a good part of the festival running from stage to stage trying to get in as many solid acts as we can. Beer gardens are for lulls.
    --->Living-Silver.com <---

Country music is also pretty well enjoyed by getting oversloshed and lying in the hot sun near the speakers until you can stand up again. Experimental genre-spanning bands layering intricacy over intricacy in complex harmony are less so.