Page 63 of 99 FirstFirst ... 5859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2950

Thread: mnml --- tech

Default Re: mnml --- tech

Beammeup

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    Anyone on the east coast?

Check out VIA festival. Great fest, great staff, great music. Lineup August 1: http://www.facebook.com/VIA.Pittsburgh
    Oh shit, that's right, I forgot this thing happens. I was so disappointed I had to miss last year since it's only like 2-3 hours away, but I had just come back from ATP and had to start working. Underground Resistance! Donato Dozzy! etc.! Keeping my eye on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The people who throw the thing partied with us all wekend in Detroit. 8^) great dudes
    Rhythm is a dancer.

New Deepchord album on the way.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=16951

Sweet.

Back from music adventures. Had to pop in here and say how blown away I was with Blawan. Missed him (mostly) at Sonar, as his B2B with Mary Anne Hobbs turned out to be more like 30 minutes of him, 30 minutes of her (and I wandered over at least 20 minutes in), but caught his set at Fabric this weekend and he was terrific.

This is a bit negative and out of place in this thread, but here it is anyway: after going to Fabric and a bunch of parties in Spain, I once again have to wonder how people can dare claim the US crowds at clubs are so terrible in comparison. I've never seen people so fucked up, so unaware of what was going on around them, and so lacking knowledge and interest in the music. Fabric in particular, absolutely awful crowd, the sort that I'd associate only with bridge & tunnel crowds here. I suppose Berlin may be different (or at least a venue or two there), that may have to be my next pilgrimage.

Edit: That sounds overly negative, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't have a GREAT time. It's just such a disappointment that even some of the most widely talked about clubs are full of douchebags. My expectations must be too high. Thank god for good sound and good lineups.
    Last edited by chiapet; 06-25-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Fabric is a massive tourist trap with no door policy, what did you expect.

I didn't expect the crowd to be worse than the worst tourist trap/bridge & tunnel clubs here. That's all. There's a lot of talk about how terrible American crowds are for EDM shows. While I think that's true sometimes, almost every event I've been to overseas has had a worse crowd than I've seen at US shows. Starting to feel like in order to for venues to be popular enough to attract (and pay for) great bookings, it has to be supported by masses of idiots who've just come to get completely fucked and to pull.

Well, as I said, maybe the next trip I'll focus on Berlin and venues with door policies. (For what it's worth, I didn't go there specifically to go to Fabric - had a 11PM-10AM layover at LHR, so it seemed like a reasonable thing to do with the free time, and I'm not sorry I went since Shed and Blawan were quite good!). I saw a ton of great music while away but am so very glad to be back in SF where I can see good music with people who can behave like adults despite the substances they've swallowed.

Edit: also I was really dismissive of people who poo-pooed on Sonar, saying it was only good 10 years ago. From the comments, I inferred that they were talking about the bookings, not... the crowd. What a shit show. I saw some really good acts, and thought the venue itself was pretty good (sound-wise, set-up) but holy crap the crowds were worse than US massives. It was only "lacking" kids in kandy and costumes.
    Last edited by chiapet; 06-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Function speaking w/ LWE in a recent interview:

I actually like coming back to the States and playing. There’s sometimes where I have to step back and think to myself, like, when I go to New York and I play at Bunker, it’s like everybody knows what they’re hearing. They’re educated about the music, and there is this nice sense of hunger because they’ve been deprived of it, so they really make the most of it when they experience it. And they’re really educated maybe because they’re sort of deprived of it. Where in Europe sometimes you experience this shows where it’s just like — it becomes obvious to you, these people just want to go out and get off their tits. You have your fanbase and stuff like that, but I can definitely say that sometimes it seems a little bit watered down, especially in Berlin [with] the lengths of time that people are out and exposed to music. That experience gets diluted across 14 to 16 hours, where in the States it’s like it has to end by four or five, in some cities even earlier. So they’re soaking that up and really paying attention to it. That’s actually really inspiring to me, you know"

Huh. This is good for my grass-is-greener syndrome.

Ben Klock had similarly nice things to say about playing in Minneapolis (as opposed to New York or a big Euro metropolis) some time back.

Too bad that doesn't translate into more shows in smaller markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    Function speaking w/ LWE in a recent interview:

I actually like coming back to the States and playing. There’s sometimes where I have to step back and think to myself, like, when I go to New York and I play at Bunker, it’s like everybody knows what they’re hearing. They’re educated about the music, and there is this nice sense of hunger because they’ve been deprived of it, so they really make the most of it when they experience it. And they’re really educated maybe because they’re sort of deprived of it. Where in Europe sometimes you experience this shows where it’s just like — it becomes obvious to you, these people just want to go out and get off their tits. You have your fanbase and stuff like that, but I can definitely say that sometimes it seems a little bit watered down, especially in Berlin [with] the lengths of time that people are out and exposed to music. That experience gets diluted across 14 to 16 hours, where in the States it’s like it has to end by four or five, in some cities even earlier. So they’re soaking that up and really paying attention to it. That’s actually really inspiring to me, you know"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    Ben Klock had similarly nice things to say about playing in Minneapolis (as opposed to New York or a big Euro metropolis) some time back.

Encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Too bad that doesn't translate into more shows in smaller markets.
    True. FWIW though, Tucson has gotten some good acts in the past couple of years (Mark Farina, Aeroplane, the Twelves, etc.). Great crowds too. Nothing crazy good talent wise, but it's been nice.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 06-25-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

There are some events in New York where the crowd has been excellent (a great example being Omar S on Sunday - everyone was totally there for the music - just relaxing, dancing and having a great time), but there are also events where the crowd has ruined the event a bit for me. It really depends. I find generally that the smaller events have a better crowd. People are typically there for the artist and not because it's something to do/somewhere to get fucked up.

I haven't been to very many events and Europe so I can't really compare though.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I didn't expect the crowd to be worse than the worst tourist trap/bridge & tunnel clubs here. That's all. There's a lot of talk about how terrible American crowds are for EDM shows. While I think that's true sometimes, almost every event I've been to overseas has had a worse crowd than I've seen at US shows. Starting to feel like in order to for venues to be popular enough to attract (and pay for) great bookings, it has to be supported by masses of idiots who've just come to get completely fucked and to pull.

Well, as I said, maybe the next trip I'll focus on Berlin and venues with door policies. (For what it's worth, I didn't go there specifically to go to Fabric - had a 11PM-10AM layover at LHR, so it seemed like a reasonable thing to do with the free time, and I'm not sorry I went since Shed and Blawan were quite good!). I saw a ton of great music while away but am so very glad to be back in SF where I can see good music with people who can behave like adults despite the substances they've swallowed.

Edit: also I was really dismissive of people who poo-pooed on Sonar, saying it was only good 10 years ago. From the comments, I inferred that they were talking about the bookings, not... the crowd. What a shit show. I saw some really good acts, and thought the venue itself was pretty good (sound-wise, set-up) but holy crap the crowds were worse than US massives. It was only "lacking" kids in kandy and costumes.

Best layover ever? I think so.

Hah. Yea, as far as layovers go, it was pretty great. I came really close to bailing on the thing due to torrential rains, all of the friends I'd planned to meet up with bailing, and more tube closures/transit problems than I expected, BUT it sure as hell beat sitting in the airport for hours. I felt like a derelict though, coming back to the airport and boarding a flight on no sleep, no shower, (thankfully I'd thought ahead to stash a backpack with some clean clothes in left luggage at the airport), eyes still crazy. It was a very long trip home...

FWIW, I really have no problem with people getting fucked up or really drunk at shows, it's entirely a matter of how they're able to conduct themselves in that state. If they're there /just/ to get fucked up and to ensure everyone around them understands exactly how fucked up they are... that's really really annoying.

Hah. Yea, as far as layovers go, it was pretty great. I came really close to bailing on the thing due to torrential rains, all of the friends I'd planned to meet up with bailing, and more tube closures/transit problems than I expected, BUT it sure as hell beat sitting in the airport for hours. I felt like a derelict though, coming back to the airport and boarding a flight on no sleep, no shower, (thankfully I'd thought ahead to stash a backpack with some clean clothes in left luggage at the airport), eyes still crazy. It was a very long trip home...

FWIW, I really have no problem with people getting fucked up or really drunk at shows, it's entirely a matter of how they're able to conduct themselves in that state. If they're there /just/ to get fucked up and to ensure everyone around them understands exactly how fucked up they are... that's really really annoying.
    Oh trust me I have no problem with people getting fucked up. I only get annoyed when they can't handle their shit/only came for the sole purpose of getting fucked up and don't care about the artist at all. When I'm trying to dance/listen to a set and people fall all over me and start drunkenly yelling a bunch of nonsense I want to cut their fucking feet off tbh.

/end rant.
    Last edited by Natelevmofuggaz; 06-26-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Glad you had a good trip! Wish I could have gone to Sonar. Barcelona seems like a great city.

Hah. Yea, to be honest, overly drunk people annoy me more than high people. In that the super drunk people usually are less aware of their surroundings and their impact on other people, whereas -usually- I feel like people who are high as fuck make a little bit of effort to not be so obvious. There is more social and authoritative pressure to not be so obviously on drugs versus not being so obviously drunk.

I think most of us has the occasional situation where WE are the bad crowd, but when it's the majority of a crowd, or the same people doing it every time, that's very disheartening.

When you get too drunk, you're more disruptive. When you get too high, you mostly just want to hide or be generally left the fuck alone to sort out your own head (except for uppers).

Actually, at Fabric, I was at one of my sloppiest points ever in a venue (I actually puked for the first time ever in a venue - fortunately in the restroom, quietly, with some dignity left intact). And I still hated at least half the crowd for being a shit show. :P

Some killer summer releases coming out.

But what are everyone's favorite first half of 2012 releases. I've honestly been very distracted.

Shifted, Claro Intelecto, Lucy, Stellate... Those are the most obvious.. But what else have I mssed?
    Rhythm is a dancer.

What are some of y'alls mid-year favorites picks?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    Oooo I had been meaning to share that this weekend, I picked it up Friday and have been loving it. Definitely a refreshing take on the 303.

Favorites of the year so far:
    Voices from the Lake - Voices from the Lake
    Shifted - Crossed Paths
    Saschienne - Unknown
    Blondes - Blondes
    Levon Vincent - Fabric 63
    Recondite - On Acid
    Cassegrain - Plate EP
    Everything that Locked Groove has released. Shifted's album. Levon Vincent's motherfucking Fabric 63, Phase - Binary Opposition.

*for some reason I wrote Pulse Emitter's Aeons, initially, which I can't really get into. I don't know how or why I confused that with Phase.
    Not to be a dick or anything . . .

I've listened to almost no new music this year. Someone please download stuff, bring it to my place, tie me to a chair and make me listen to it all.

prepare for face fuckage

Rhythm is a dancer.

I've listened to almost no new music this year. Someone please download stuff, bring it to my place, tie me to a chair and make me listen to it all.
    See you Friday

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Not to be a dick or anything . . .
    I own you on the internet SD. Dont flex. 8^P

i obviously have not been reading this for awhile
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Stoked for emptyset -

Also Robag Wruhme made my day.

R_co's account has been emptied. Ugh.

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/

definitely hope that the emptyset set veers more towards the recent stuff... please let the sound system be sufficient, i have no interest in a ben frost-esque fiasco.