Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

My post-Coachella fitness regimen has been yielding results, though a terrible cold mixed with allergies has kind of knocked me on my ass since late last weekend. I've tried to at least do something every day, which this morning meant a combination of running and walking through around two miles of my neighborhood.

The other important thing for me, one which I've performed a bit less successfully, is keeping a fully stocked refrigerator. We had a couple of months where even my local fruit stand had phenomenal oranges and grapefruits I could snack on, but the quality has taken a pretty significant nosedive over the past week or two. Even reliable spots like Fairway and Whole Foods have let me down (I peeled a grapefruit from the latter last night, and the first penetration through the skin sounded like I'd poked a hole in a balloon.) Still, bananas and apples have been pretty tried and true.

The refrigerator has also been a major player for meals, too. I work from home, and unless I've got something I can put together for lunch, I sometimes find myself making old mistakes like running out to a local Chinese place. These slips don't happen nearly as often as they used to, but I still need to make a concerted effort to put myself in a position to succeed so they don't happen at all. My girlfriend is also super healthy, so that doesn't hurt.

This weekend is the official start to my second season of Nerd League basketball. I fucked my knee up a little bit during a pickup game two weeks ago, though I attribute some of that to my still being heavier than I'd like and some of that to being 41 years old. But hopefully sticking to my guns regarding fitness will help remedy that and will reduce some of the other aches and pains I've felt after playing for an hour or two.

I was pleased to learn that I'm still fairly quick, in spite of my heaviness and age, and I imagine that will only get better as I continue to get myself into better shape. I'm also as agile and skilled a basketball player as I was when I was young, unfortunately that means I still kinda suck. But I'm tall and like to rebound, so I still serve a purpose in a semi-organized rec league.

I've really appreciated everyone sharing their own experiences in here, and I want to congratulate all of you who have taken steps both great and small in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I suck at trying to diet. Mostly because I have never really tried to diet. Plus, I have a hard time denying myself anything I really want. If one day I work late and don't want to cook, well damnit I am going to stop and get myself something quick and easy. That usually means fattening. With that in mind, I am really trying to make better choices when I do go out to eat, cutting some of the calories/fat that I normally wouldn't even think about. But since I have never really counted calories or even paid attention to food labels I am not sure if I am even doing that right. For instance, last night we stayed in but I didn't really feel like cooking so Nick went and got us Pei Wei. I would have normally ordered kung pao beef with fried rice (probably a million calories plus 1000 grams of sodium?), but opted for the curry chicken over brown rice, then I forced myself to only eat half of it instead of gobbling down the whole thing. Then after dinner Nick decided to have an ice cream cone, I was suffering from the munchies (probably a good idea to quit smoking if I want to be serious about losing weight) so I decided to have one as well, but I only made a very small one, instead of the 2.5 scoops I would normally eat. Man, I totally suck at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Audra, I still smoke the herb and I am losing. I'm not saying it's easy, just that it can be done. For instance for a while I substituted the half a quart of ice cream I was eating with a bowl or two of cereal with 1% milk and plenty of splenda. It's hard but you just have to start making substitutions and I imagine it's harder when you have a partner who isn't on the same plan as you. This all takes real work and doing things that you aren't in the habit of doing and doing things that aren't simple. Work is a battle for me every single week. They are constantly popping popcorn, bringing in doughnuts, ice cream, root beer floats. It's ridiculous and I finally decided I am going to be an absolute asshole about it because they don't let up. To me being an absolute asshole is saying no and absurd number of times while rolling my eyes and loudly explaining why I am not eating those foods. I can be obnoxious like that but it's the only way I know. I do something like this "listen people, I was 300 pounds and i'm making some progress here and I see you all have food you are willing to share and i'm aware of it, I see it, so I don't need you coming to my cubicle every single day announcing that food is here, I got it".

I win most weeks but this week they won. I was weak, I was tired and I finally said fuck it, i'm having some fried chicken, cake oh I can go on and on. It was someone's baby shower so we had leftovers floating around the office all week long. It sucks but you really have to make people aware of what YOU want. It's not that they don't care it's that they are used to always offering and you can't change their behavior. Unless of course this is just a passive thing and you'd just sort of like to lose 10 pounds and it's not a big deal to put it back on. It was hard for me to really commit. It involved changing so many habits but it's not as difficult if you do these a little at a time. Make sure a habit sticks before making another change. Be patient with yourself too. Don't throw your hands up in the air when you stumble. That was a really hard one for me. I still get frustrated big time.

This week i'm getting frustrated. Every single time I pick up to a jog I am getting a cramp in the exact same spot. It's distracting me, it's uncomfortable, I can't always jog through it and it's discouraging. I WANT to jog and to be comfortable. This morning was great, a little slower on my time than normal but NO CRAMP. I was so happy about that but this evening it was back and and my normal 12 minute mile was about 15 and it was uncomfortable and distracting the entire time.

I'm making sure I drink water, i'm stretching, i'm breathing well. All I can do is keep doing these things and keep trying to jog through it but at some point if this persists i'm going to have to go to a doctor and boy I hate that as i've made clear here. I wondered it if had to do with all the alcohol I drank last weekend followed by all the crappy food I ate all week at work. Is it just muscles that need to rest? The pain is at the bottom of my right rib cage right where the abdomen starts and it sometimes can get sharp for a moment but normally it just nags like a cramp. Walking and it goes away. If I stand in place and jump up and down I start to feel it. I wonder if the bouncing up and down of my belly has twisted or caused something internally to be off kilter. I'm grasping at straws. It's just day 4 of the exact same pain in the exact same part of the body.

Got back from the gym about an hour ago. Lord, I hate my gym. Always several machine broken down. Effing K'town. Anyway, anyone know of a club in LA with an indoor track that doesn't require raiding one's 401k?

This was my 5th day back in the saddle after nearly 2 mos of doctor mandated inactivity. I usually make myself wait a week before checking weights, but I cheated and I'm down 6lbs since Monday. I think my body's just in shock from the sudden return of HIIT. I certainly don't expect to continue dropping at such a rapid clip.

Stupor, congrats on all the progress so far!

locachica, you definitely have the desire. I'm sure you can make this happen.

Alright, i'm done bitching about my cramp. At least for today. I just did my routine hike that hadn't done in over a week and was right back up to my best times. I searched my cardiotrainer app to see when I first started this hike and how long it took me. It looks like in late February and it took me about 32 minutes. Today I did it in 20:15. My fastest time yet. I felt awesome out there too, totally made up for how shitty I had been feeling all week. I hope to add some diversity today and do some biking and swimming as well or at least one of the two.

Hope you all have fit weekends!

loca, baby steps. If you normally would have had 2.5 scoops and had a small one, that's probably at least a couple hundred calories you cut. I feel like depriving yourself of everything you want is probably the quickest way to fail at a diet.

Rage, glad to hear you're on the mend and back to the gym. Congratulations on a great week!

I've been avoiding this thread because I've kind of been in a bad place mentally for a while, and at some point, just decided I was not going to keep dieting or working out. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily the sort of person who eats due to depression, but I definitely am prone to drinking and then hibernating in bed or on my couch for days. Anyway, I just kind of gave up on myself again, and frankly, didn't really want to read any of your encouragements or successes.

I've had a terrible week but finally on Thursday decided that exercising is the only thing that would really help improve my mental state. I've been on the exercise bike the last few days, and yesterday had a 2.5 hour workout with exercise bike, run on the beach, crunches/situps/etc, yoga, some freeweights, and a long stretch. I felt amazing after and had so much energy left over. TMI: Last night, I drank too much, ended up inviting over someone I shouldn't, and... normally the morning after this sort of decision, I'd be beating myself up and would hole up in my apartment feeling sorry for myself, most likely with a carb fest in front of the TV. I'm trying to learn to change my reactions in stressful or emotional situations. This is really tough for me to control, but I finally feel like I could be ABLE to get a handle on it.

Getting on the scale this morning was a bit scary, since I've not had a work out in weeks. I've lost a couple of pounds since my last weigh-in, which was definitely better than the gain I expected. Anyway, I'm back on the wagon.

Hugs Heidi. You had an amazing weekend last weekend and it's hard crash re-entering the daily grind. Just relax and ease your way back in. Read and you'll be back in no time.

I'm making up for my completely sucky week today. After hiking this morning I just got back from a 7 mile bike ride. It was really nice and enjoyable. It took me about 50 minutes but that's stopping to sip water and take a photo or two.

When I first got this bike I was probably in the upper 280's and I couldn't do much of anything on it or last more than 15 minutes. It felt great actually going further and being able to peddle a lot more. My bike is a shitty used mountain bike but after todays bike ride I feel like I got my $40 out of it already ha ha.

I'm off to swim and read by the pool. Going to get some laps in, I mean how else will I be a tri-athlete if i'm not hiking, biking and swimming? J/k but i'm feeling really good today and it's just what I needed after the terrible week.

Oh and food is getting back to healthy again too as of yesterday. It's odd I have all this energy because it just occurred to me I have not had a single bite to eat today and i'm not hungry at all. I think i'm burning the fuel from last night still. Anyway. I'm off to the pool.

PS after posting that, I went and signed up for that gym membership I've been bluffing about, did a quick weights workout, and am waiting for a trainer to call me back about setting up some personal trainer sessions to get started on a routine. New goal is exercise bike 5x a week (whether at gym or at home), gym for toning type stuff 3x a week, and yoga at least once a week. Hope I stick to it.

You CAN do it Heidi and WILL do it. Just use that same ambition we have for music festivals! Awesome job on signing up for the gym membership too You are going to feel so much better in no time.

Well this weekend I FAILED at going to yoga every day (sometimes life just gets in the way), so today I did 3 classes to make up for it. 6am, followed by a quick swim and breakfast, 9:30am, followed by a quick swim and lunch and 12pm followed by a shower! I bet I will be sore tomorrow, but man do I feel accomplished today

3 in one day? Someone's hardcore. After my first full week of HIIT in 2 mos. my legs absolutely hate me. I forgot what running or "elliptical-ing" at such a fast speed does to one's legs. Does anyone take any supplements (natural or otherwise) specifically for muscle recovery? I know there's no substitute for lots of rest, plenty of water and balanced nutrition, but that's why they're called supplements.

I've not, but I also don't push myself as much as you do. I've been trying to remember to take a B vitamin supplement (whether I work out or not), vitamin C, and lots of water, but nothing specific for muscle recovery. The Vit C seems to help with my tendency to start catching minor illnesses (colds and such) whenever I get back into exercising or exercise almost every day.

Yeah, I take a multi vitamin, glucosamine chondroitin and calcium. That's it.

Coachella Junkie

Just stop eating so much.

Thanks, Pot.

I took a week off of exercise. After spending nearly every conscious minute moving / cleaning our old house over Memorial weekend, I decided to take a rest for a few days. I generally work out 5-to-6 days a week and the last time I took a week off was my honeymoon in January. Before that it was sometime in January 2010.

Got back into it today and it felt pretty good. I gained roughly six pounds in that week and I put on the pounds quickly, so I had to get back into my routine.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 06-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    3 in one day? Someone's hardcore. After my first full week of HIIT in 2 mos. my legs absolutely hate me. I forgot what running or "elliptical-ing" at such a fast speed does to one's legs. Does anyone take any supplements (natural or otherwise) specifically for muscle recovery? I know there's no substitute for lots of rest, plenty of water and balanced nutrition, but that's why they're called supplements.
    I just take a whey protein mix within 20-30 of the conclusion of my workout. The amount of protein for the serving I consume is 40-50 grams.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Fact, i've been eating like a pig for well over a week now. I realized I hadn't ate anything on Saturday after hiking, biking and swimming and then I couldn't stop eating. I ate an entire rotisserie chicken, an additional grilled chicken breast, an entire container of strawberries with half a container of lite kroger whipped cream.

Sunday I hiked again but then...I ate 2 eggs scrambled with red/green peppers and onions, salsa and sour cream around 10:30am. Then around 5:30PM I went to the buffet and ate plate after plate of meat. Probably 4 plates. Then I still wasn't done. Later that night I had a tortilla with peanut butter and splenda sprinkled on top. Then 2 bananas and the rest of the kroger whip cream.

Today, banana and almonds for breakfast, lunch was a cafe steamer. I jogged this morning and I will hike after work and then a lamb chop and green beans for dinner.

It appears the tortilla w/peanut butter and spenlda has replaced cereal. Seriously though, what a fucking appetite. I need to get that under control asap.

I've had the opposite problem... I realized yesterday that I definitely am not eating enough, and that it was probably one of the reasons I've felt so moody. Here's to both of us getting back into a more normal routine!

i haven't posted in this thread but have been reading it and appreciate everything that everyone has been accomplishing. i applaud everyone!

a little history about myself: i went through a difficult time personally about 1.5 years ago, and was down on myself and not wanting to do anything.
    while i love to compete in sports and the like, i couldn't bring myself to do anything. i've always been relatively skinny, but i carry fat in my stomach and my face gets a bit pudgy. after a while, i realized i needed to do something with myself. i became extremely bored, so i started training for a triathlon. for a month straight, i ran on the treadmills and rode the exercise bike at my gym and would run and bike in my neighborhood. the next month, i alternated days between swimming and running.

i never classified myself to be a runner, but i've evolved into one. the most difficult obstacle to overcome is the mentality; the exhaustion settles in and you tell yourself and that you're done, yet there is that small part of you that tells you to keep going. magnify that voice that tells you to keep going, and you will build your endurance and confidence. the mentality aspect also plays into the fact with your diet. i had set my goal and wasn't going to let anything stand in my way, so i stopped drinking alcohol and eating desserts. the diet became difficult since my birthday occurred during my training, and while the temptation was there, so was my stubbornness to accomplish my goal.

i competed in a triathlon on a cold, rainy day in scottsdale, and couldn't believe how much fun it was. it was nothing too crazy, 250 yard swim, 9.5 mile cycling, and 2 mile run. i did really well, and because of how much fun i had, i actually signed up for another triathlon 2 weeks later.

i haven't competed in any triathlons since, and decided to focus on doing some weight training and running. i've been lifting weights for 9 months straight now, and go 4 times per week and try to run at least once a week. i recently did the warrior dash in florence, and will be doing the *gulp* tough mudder in january.

i just wanted to share with you that if you set your mind to it, you can meet your accomplishments. i was down in the dumps about a lot of bullshit, but this helped me both physically and mentally. keep at it, and know you have my support!
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Thanks for sharing bucketofpower. I was joking about my tri-athlete abilities because I did some hiking, biking and swimming on Saturday but you're the real deal! I know what you mean by listening to that small voice that says keep going. It's totally mental and breaking through those fears and shallow expectations. I hope you post a bit more here too and update us on your competitions. I know most of us aren't as much of an athlete as you but it's still helpful to read about coming through the otherside of tough times and seeing the success that it brings!

Cheers to you and yes Heidi, normal routine it is!

Tough mudder? You're nuts!!!! Congrats on the self-transformation though.

I actually found it easiest to be a runner. It was simple, straight forward, and effective for/to me. You don't have to go to the gym to do it nor buy any fancy equipment (other than a pair of good shoes). I was thinking about this last week, and I can trace my weight problems back to the first time I blew out my knee. I stayed in shape through PT, and as soon as I was done -- not being able to run like I used to -- almost immediately started putting on the pounds.

I knew I couldn't go back to running every day, but I've been fighting that for like 15 years. When I was younger, I'd just work through the pain (having been raised to work out in the manner of... if it doesn't burn, you're not working hard enough). As I've gotten older, not only is it simply not possible to work through it, I'd been winding up in the orthopedist's office too frequently and sidelining myself from an active life in general. A week of running usually meant hobbling around for a month after.

It has been an interesting journey these last 4 months to find replacements for running and to fight the urge to go on runs. I've yet to find anything else that gives me the same mental/emotional satisfaction, in addition to the physical benefits.

I just had a great workout, I can't believe how much I've sweated and how awful I smell, like awful chemical ugh. Feels like I expelled everything bad I've put into my body in the last few weeks. And I'm so full of energy I'm tempted to go back for more later.

thanks faxy! and i honestly feel that if i can do a tri, anyone can. whether it be a mile, 3 miles, or whatever, it's an incredible feeling to breakthrough the barrier. judging by your previous posts, you're competitive with your times that you're running and that is awesome to see; keep on breaking down those walls!

yeah chia, i was kind of roped into doing it. i'll admit, after seeing 'electric shock therapy,' i was sold. it'll be 11 miles with 23 obstacles. i can't tell if it's going to be one of the better things i've done in my life, or just the opposite. when i registered, it was imperative to purchase insurance for the event. wtf?! regarding your knee, have you done any swimming? there is a lot less impact, but it's still intense!
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Swimming would be perfect, but there are not a lot of public pools in my city, and sadly, I am too vain AND too out of shape to go to a gym and wear a swimsuit where I may run into people I know. That's one of my goals - to get over myself or get really fit. Right now I've been doing a lot of stationary bike riding, I've been able to do 50-70 miles per week on a bike without any knee problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    These are some big time calorie burners, good job.
    Thanks! Today's morning workout seemed a lot easier then it was. I could not get my double unders. (jump roping but the rope goes under twice instead of once)

3 rounds for time: 20 wall ball 20 double unders 20 pullups

I've been thinking about getting into some swimming since there's a swim facility in my restaurants complex but finding time seems impossible. Gonna go for another workout after the work. Gotta burn off the meat lovers pizza I ate =\
    "common sense is not so common." - mark twain

Yeah, 45 minutes of cardio today. Then, I did some SERIOUS stretches and then some free weights and core training. I want to be as flexible as I was when I was a cheerleader and lose some weight. 10-15 pounds. Something in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Second workout of the day:
    As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes
    5 20" box jumps
    10 kettle bell swings (35#)
    15 wall ball (14# 8 ft target)

Got 9 rounds plus 5 box jump 10 kettle swings and 5 wall balls. Definitely kicked my ass harder than the first one today. I work at the gym tomorrow so I'll prolly work on some strength and olympic lifts. I'm definitely ready for bed.
    "common sense is not so common." - mark twain

Today was supposed to be my day off, but I managed to get about 45 minutes in. And I made an appointment for a session with a trainer on Saturday morning bright and early...

Great work Heidi.

jog this morning and 5 flights of stairs. My goal was to start ignoring numbers and it was for good reason. They psyche me out and I confuse myself. I could swear I was doing 13 minute morning jogs but now that I look at my history I nev...er was. I was doing 12-13 min. miles on the treadmill but never the outdoor morning jog. So i've been recording times of 15-16 minute miles in the morning and wondering what gives?! Nothing gives, those morning jogs used to be 17-18 minutes. The after work hike had me concerned but not as much. I know my absolute best time on the hike was just over 20 minutes. Yesterday I was at about 21:30 so i'm barely a minute off of those as well. I have to stop focusing on the numbers so i'm not fixated during the actual workout. I'm doing fine and I don't need to get discouraged. I also had zero cramps the last two days but this morning i felt it creeping back a bit. Nothing that stopped or slowed me but I felt it rearing it's head a bit. I think it was the lack of stretching though. I'm also really starting to understand more and more that the food choices I make totally effect my workout. The lighter and healthier I eat, the better I feel on that jog or hike. I got hydration down at least and i'm drinking my water regularly. Finally food. Today breakfast banana and a handful of smoked almonds with 24 oz of water. Lunch will be salmon w/ green beans with smoked almonds sprinkled on top. Dinner will be ground turkey tacos on low carb small tortillas (5 net carbs per tortilla) with cut up red/green peppers, onions, a bit of salsa and shredded cheese. How is everyone else doing today?

Yesterday I jogged in the morning before work, hiked after work and then did about 10 underwater laps in the pool and also read some more of my book. A third of the way through my first novel in over a decade. I gave myself the entire summer to finish. Just finishing it will be an accomplishment and with school, work, fitness and travel that gives me plenty of time.