Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

^Welcome!

I must be the outlier here in that it's gotten to where I hate flavored yogurt and always buy plain. I think that once I made the switch and got used to not needing yogurt to be sweet (at first, I'd put brown sugar in it, but now I don't even do that - usually just some kind of fruit and maybe some flax seed), now really sweet yogurt kind of weirds me out.

I'm going through a funk, and definitely off of the fitchella routine, but at least I haven't gained any weight back. I did have to walk a mile to the light rail this morning, since I had a flat tire, so I guess at least I can count that as exercise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

The murder capital where we murder for capital

WELCOME SONR801! Sounds like you're doing great. Nice to see another person who started at around 300 dropping so much and doing it the right way. My goal pretty similar to yours as well. Under 200 by Coachella! I have only been under that weight once since high school and it was not for more than a few weeks i'm sure.

Yesterday was the final day of the 30 days of fitness (min. of 20 minutes of exercise per day). This was the 4th one I have done I think. I definitely started to fizzle at the end. Yesterday I jogged in the morning and totally skipped the after work hike. I'm on a break until next week when it starts up again. After skipping the hike AND the jog this morning I feel pretty guilty and have a total fear in the back of mind that i'm doing something very wrong or that by taking a couple of days off i'm going to be ruined. It's so odd feeling anxiety over this. I also did next to nothing last night. I cooked dinner and layed in bed watching the West Wing for hours as I dozed in and out of sleep. I felt bored and restless too like I should have been doing something but rather than give in I just stayed in zombie mode. I did that on Monday too but that's the end of that. I have things to do this evening, school tomorrow night and off to Vegas on Friday so I kind of enjoyed the doing nothing even though it felt very wrong. Skipping the jog was especially awkard this morning. It's such a routine and I skipped it for no good reason but I kept telling myself it was a little reward for how well i've been doing. It just doesn't compute that a reward is somehow skipping something that makes me feel better. I'm taking all of these feelings as a positive and it should be that much better when i start back up with a routine on Monday and i'm planning on checking out the gym in Vegas and getting in some jogging or hiking tomorrow as well.

Lunch today is salmon and green beans. I've done a really good job of eating fish weekly ever since I had my health assessment at work and was told to add more fish to my diet. I'm starting to get curious about how much my cholesterol levels have improved too but i'm very much putting off making that doctors appointment. I have to do that by the end of summer or at least that's another goal.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

faxy, i think it's normal to fizzle out a bit. there are days where i would push myself to just walk around for 10-15 minutes. it's not exactly vigorous exercise, but it's simply something to keep the habit going. you have lost a lot of weight and may be at more of a maintaining phase right now. keeping up with the morning jog and missing the evening hike isn't the end of the world though and at least you did something
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

You all are not strange - I don't like flavored yogurt very much. The kind with fruit at the bottom is OK, but tastes more dessert like to me than something to eat with breakfast. However, I usually pass on yogurt in favor of cottage cheese. Sometimes with honey, so good.

i use plain yogurt and add a little honey for sweetness. The other stuff that usually gets mixed in there are strawberries, granola and raw almonds.

For those of you struggling to keep a regular fitness routine I recommend a goal. I like to run, so when my sister called wanting to run a marathon next winter with me, I started training. This after being a bit sporadic over the last 6 months and putting on a few pounds. IMO it is so much easier to keep a routine if you have a goal in mind. It might not be a marathon, but a 5K or a bicycle race, whatever it takes to motivate you.

Go on, vibesandstuff...

Looks like I might FINALLY be able to start regular workouts again next week. So happy. It's amazing what a lack of exercise can do to one's mood and feeling of well being. I'll get the final ok next week.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    God damn, Courtney. You are going to make the most amazing wife someday.
    Haha thanks. Let me know if you're ever looking for one kick-ass, meal-making beard

Quote Originally Posted by SONR801 View Post
    This thread is awesome and after seeing it last year it really inspired me to work out and get in shape before the next chella.

I started last week on the 16th and have already noticed a change in my mood, energy levels and how productive i can be in a day. Been switching between rest days and days where i do H.I.T's to help boost my metabolism. In a notebook ive been keeping track of my activity and food intake which has helped me realise how much i use to eat that i didn't need and how much could easily be replaced with healthy food like fruits and veggies (which i already love, so its great)

this time last year, i weighed in at 302 lbs, heaviest ive ever been. I weighed myself in when i started my "Fit-Chella" program and was 275.1.....after a week of working out and just getting out more(the park/walking around the mall...etc) i came in at 268.4. My goal is to lose close to 10 pounds a month before chella and try to get under 200 pounds for the first time in my life since i was 14. 75 more pounds and 11 months to go

Knowing this thread is even here gives me that much more want to keep it up and share my experience with those who have inspired me..hopefully i can get a camera soon to start tracking my progress visually.
    Welcome SONR801! Congrats on all your progress thus far. It sounds like you are well on your way to your goal. So awesome.

I find keeping the notebook is definitely a good technique for staying accountable. Thus my digital notebook in this thread. Hopefully it will work out, but normally I'm good with the old-fashioned notebook kind.

And yes, photos please! Progress pictures are the BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i think we're going to need some "cooking with courtney" videos. preferably in a cute apron.

yesterday i was supposed to walk with rick, but we got some glorious news at work and my boss took us out to celebrate. still though, when i got home i managed to walk for a half-hour which was good. i've been trying to eat more yogurt in the morning. i got sick of hard boiled eggs & i need to stop going to fast food for breakfast. unfortunately i apparently got coconut yogurt instead of vanilla and it is fucking foul. so hungry am i!!!

and welcome, SONR801! best of luck
    Ha! I love cute aprons. And people love giving me cute aprons for gifts too. This may have to be a thing.

Congrats on your work news. Sorry about the coconut yogurt -- that sounds foul. I am not really understanding this whole coconut craze right now with foods. I keep on seeing the coconut water everywhere, and people are saying stuff about substituting coconut oil because it turns out that although it has saturated fats, it's healthy saturated fats? I dunno. I like my coconut in frozen popsicle form and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    ^Welcome!

I must be the outlier here in that it's gotten to where I hate flavored yogurt and always buy plain. I think that once I made the switch and got used to not needing yogurt to be sweet (at first, I'd put brown sugar in it, but now I don't even do that - usually just some kind of fruit and maybe some flax seed), now really sweet yogurt kind of weirds me out.

I'm going through a funk, and definitely off of the fitchella routine, but at least I haven't gained any weight back. I did have to walk a mile to the light rail this morning, since I had a flat tire, so I guess at least I can count that as exercise!
    Amy, I wish I was like that bout the plain yogurt. I will buy it because I like the versatility of being able to cook with it, substitute it for sour cream in mexican dishes, etc, but I definitely need to add some sort of sweetener. Maybe I will try to wean myself off of it.

Bummer about the flat tire. But I guess it's a start!

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Lunch today is salmon and green beans. I've done a really good job of eating fish weekly ever since I had my health assessment at work and was told to add more fish to my diet. I'm starting to get curious about how much my cholesterol levels have improved too but i'm very much putting off making that doctors appointment. I have to do that by the end of summer or at least that's another goal.
    I love, love love fish. What sorts have you been incorporating in your eating? And, out of curiosity, what is the cholesterol benefit of eating fish as opposed to just taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements?

Quote Originally Posted by vibesandstuff View Post
    For those of you struggling to keep a regular fitness routine I recommend a goal. I like to run, so when my sister called wanting to run a marathon next winter with me, I started training. This after being a bit sporadic over the last 6 months and putting on a few pounds. IMO it is so much easier to keep a routine if you have a goal in mind. It might not be a marathon, but a 5K or a bicycle race, whatever it takes to motivate you.
    This is great advice, and something I already know, but haven't been very good at putting into action. I should try to think of something. Unfortunately, with my current fitness level, I'm in no shape to run the races I used to do because a half-marathon or even just a 10K is probably too much for me right now. But a 5K would be a good place to start. Or maybe I'll register for one of the open-water swimming races that happen over the summer here.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Looks like I might FINALLY be able to start regular workouts again next week. So happy. It's amazing what a lack of exercise can do to one's mood and feeling of well being. I'll get the final ok next week.
    That's really exciting. You must be incredibly antsy. Let us know as soon as you hear!

Ok, so today was better than yesterday. Yay!

I slept through my alarm clock. Of course. Which meant no gym this morning and no fancy breakfast. But I did survive one more day of bicycle commuting to work, I ate pretty well all day, and I did also make it to the gym after work (unfortunately, only briefly though because I got pulled away from the machines by an urgent phone call). But still, the fact that I made it there is a step in the right direction, so I'm celebrating it.

I was also delighted to realize that after a week and a half of bicycling every single day, my butt finally isn't sore anymore. I mean, there's still a little residual soreness when I get up after having bumped along a pothole-filled road, but it's nowhere near as bad as before, and not really noticeable unless I'm thinking about it. Hurrah!

WORKOUT

elliptical machine, 20 minutes
    bicycle commuting, 40 minutes round-trip

FOOD

Breakfast: Vanilla yogurt with sliced strawberries and wheat germ, black coffee, 276 calories

Lunch: Sourdough with asian pear melted brie, mixed greens, topped with pistou, 479 calories

Snack: Papaya with lime, roasted almonds, 193 calories

Dinner: Panko and cumin-crusted pork chop with pineapple, red onion, ginger salsa and a bed of mixed homegrown greens, 517 calories
    Last edited by Courtney; 05-26-2011 at 12:40 AM.

No love for coconut??? I don't love it in my yogurt, but in general, coconut is amazing. As for the fat being healthy, I think most of the studies around it come from Pacific Islander populations, where, even when their diet is high in fat, most of the fat is from coconut/butter/oil, and even where people are obese, there is really low incident of heart disease. The acids in it are also supposed to be natural anti-fugal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral remedies.

But whatever the true benefit, I just think it tastes lovely. I love raw, unsweetened coconut, and occasionally put coconut butter in cooking.

I like coconut in limited doses. Like, I enjoy buying a local brand of organic granola that has toasted coconut flakes in it. I really like that coconut-based vegan ice cream substitute stuff that's made in Oregon.

But I still think the coconut-water-as-health-drink trend is super odd.

I've never had coconut water, so I'd agree that it's odd for a health drink. I'm not sure the "water" is really THAT healthy. It has potassium, but I think you'd have to add sodium to get a sports drink type balance out of it.

I actually don't really like toasted coconut... something about the toasting changes the flavor and texture so much that to me it starts to resemble tree nuts (to which I'm really allergic so anything that remotely resembles nuts in flavor makes me uneasy). I'm more of a raw coconut mixed in the salad kind of person.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I love, love love fish. What sorts have you been incorporating in your eating? And, out of curiosity, what is the cholesterol benefit of eating fish as opposed to just taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements?
    I was eating fish probably less than once a month so I started buying bags of salmon that are frozen and individually vacuum sealed. It made it easy to take one fillet out and put it in the fridge to thaw over night and leave the rest frozen. It's also substantially cheaper and smaller portions than fresh salmon. I have it at least twice a week for lunch. I'm not sure there is a benefit over the supplements, i just didn't want to start buying and taking supplements. I figured I would rather add fish to my diet than start taking a pill (s) every day. I don't like to complicate things too much and I actually like salmon so it works. I'll know how well it works at that doctors visit.

I was just looking at the history of my cardio trainer app for my android phone. I have recorded every jog and hike except maybe a dozen because of battery or not having my phone on me but since December 26th I have recorded 176 workouts for 206.5 miles.

I am also finally doing a mile in under 15 minutes. That was a goal that seemed to take forever to reach and I knew I was right around there but outdoors this morning I did a mile in 14:25. I've probably been at that time for almost a month now and just hadn't really realized it.

congrats, faxy! it probably helps motivate you to keep track of everything.

and i'm happy to hear rage is getting back on track! the exercise definitely improves mood.

i went on a short walk yesterday, then decided to ride my bike to return some video tapes, deposit a check at the bank and get more yogurt. i was inspired by courtney it was rough at first, took me 40 minutes (including stops) to get to the store. i stopped at subway and had a sandwich because i simply could not wait to eat. but the way home only took like 15-20 minutes. i love paths where the way there is harder than the way back. i'll have to do that again.

Fuck it, I am walking to Coachella next year. Who's in?
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

So, today fucking sucked. For various personal reasons. I pretty much just want to do something really violent and personally harmful right now. Fuck I hate today.

WORKOUT

None

FOOD

Breakfast: Fried rice made with brown rice, scallion, ginger, edamame and pineapple, topped with fried egg, 440 calories

Lunch: Sliced steak and dijon mustard on sourdough with tomato and parsley salad, 474 calories

Snack: Asian pear and cashews, 160 calories

Dinner: Roasted eggplant, chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and garam masala, 341 calories

Liquid therapy: beer, scotch, 651 calories

Whatever crummy day i was having, these meals would have been glorious oasises. Sorry about the shitty day.

I am hitting the beach in August and want to be in better shape for it. Not just losing weight but building up some more endurance, my leg still bothers me quite a bit after any long walks or dancing. It has been a year, it shouldn't hurt as much as it does. So the girls I work with and I are going to start planning healthy lunches instead of going out for fast food and I am going to start hitting the gym. Hopefully the fact that I put this in writing here will force me to actually do it. Does anyone have any advice for excercise that will not bother my leg and possibly strengthen the ligiments so it hurts less?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Try the recumbent bike, Audra. Low impact, and your leg isn't bearing your body weight. Your leg might benefit from yoga, as well. Lengthening and strengthening all at once.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

just watch your ass, my butt hurts so bad from bike riding the past two days lol.

I have been throwing the yoga idea around quite a bit lately but keep chickening out, after the move I am doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    just watch your ass, my butt hurts so bad from bike riding the past two days lol.
    lol, I think I have a lot more cushion back there than you do though.

you do have more, but the area that hurts generally doesn't have a lot of cushion. it gets better, but at first it HURTS.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Whatever crummy day i was having, these meals would have been glorious oasises. Sorry about the shitty day.
    Thanks All I really wanted last night was mountains and mountains of ice cream with my sympathy scotch. It's a good thing that I was too drunk to drive to the grocery store and Honolulu does not have grocery delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I am hitting the beach in August and want to be in better shape for it. Not just losing weight but building up some more endurance, my leg still bothers me quite a bit after any long walks or dancing. It has been a year, it shouldn't hurt as much as it does. So the girls I work with and I are going to start planning healthy lunches instead of going out for fast food and I am going to start hitting the gym. Hopefully the fact that I put this in writing here will force me to actually do it. Does anyone have any advice for excercise that will not bother my leg and possibly strengthen the ligiments so it hurts less?
    Yay Audra! I agree with Becca about the recumbent bike. Swimming too, if you have access to a pool.

So on my front, today marks the completion of my second full week of successful bicycle commuting. Hurrah! And I'm also only mildly hungover from last night. So there's that.

WORKOUT

bicycle commuting, 40 minutes

FOOD

Breakfast: Vanilla yogurt with wheat germ, grapefruit, 267 calories

Lunch: Unagi over brown rice with side salad and miso soup, 534 calories

Dinner: Minestrone and sourdough, 468 calories

I need to read this thread for inspiration.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Grilled up some lean coconut lime pork chops with a green papaya salad this evening. Finished with a tablespoon (and that's all) of Lychee Pinkberry. God damn is that some good yogurt. If only it wasn't loaded with sugar! That being said...?

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Haha thanks. Let me know if you're ever looking for one kick-ass, meal-making beard
    GSAM seeks K-A M-M B

I have found that I actually have a much easier time sticking to eating healthy and working out on the days when I have the structure of a 9-5 job. Which I realize is ironic, because on Saturdays and Sundays I have so much more time. But somehow, I never seem to utilize that time well. That's definitely one of my big goals forward is to get better about that.

WORKOUT

none

FOOD

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with chives, sourdough, grapefruit, herbal tea, 368 calories

Lunch: Sardines over quinoa with kahuku sea asparagus, red onion, dill and lemon, 414 calories

Snack: Orange, roasted peanuts, 198 calories

Dinner: Kalua pig, poi, lomi lomi salmon, okinawan sweet potato, long rice, and salad, 566 calories (I forgot to take a photo)