Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

I would love to do a weekly dance night somewhere, but unfortunately the only places I know are hole in the wall bars with crappy dj's. They can still be fun with the right amount of booze though. I would also be interested in doing a dance class if that is the only option, I just prefer to get my excercise with a beer in my hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

fun fun
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

are there ever any guys at these zumba classes, or is it women only? this kinda sounds like something i'd enjoy.
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 12 - Black Lips
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    are there ever any guys at these zumba classes, or is it women only? this kinda sounds like something i'd enjoy.
    My class does have a couple of guys, husbands joining wives or just guys that prefer to see a bunch of women shaking their booties for an hour vs. doing something mindless for their cardio. That being the guys generally lack rhythm and just follow as best they can. Some of the hip hop moves are tough, but if you can salsa, rumba, and that sort of thing you may really get into it.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 05-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Great opportunties for fun exercise this weekend in LA:

The Big Parade

This sounds great! If I didn't have such a busy weekend with Kylie at the Bowl, SD Symphony and Long Beach Pride (not to mention my damn injury), I'd totally do this. Are you going, Playa?

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    it's not much, but i've managed to walk almost every day since tuesday of last week. i didn't walk friday & saturday because i worked, went to urgent care & slept all day with a sinus infection and bronchitis, so that's pretty good.

i'm just glad to be getting back into the rhythm again. i forgot how much energy i have after my walks and i'm just in a MUCH better mood. it's also so much easier if i do it the second i get home. like yesterday, IFA was coming over, but i convinced myself to just do the 15 minutes around the area where my complex is. then once i got going, it was easy to just add another 15 minutes onto that. and it had been raining/sprinkling, so i'm even more happy i was able make it out in between rainfall.

hope everyone else is keeping up the fitchella!!!
    Way to go Ivy! That's awesome. I definitely also notice the energy and mood thing. It's such a positive feeling to know that I am making steps to do something good for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i'm starting to not hate green vegetables, so i think this is a start.
    Hahaaaaa. Yes, that is a start. I consider myself very lucky that I have always loved all sorts of healthy food. For me, it's more a quantity issue than a content issue. But yeah, things like lightly blanched sugar snap peas or fresh spinach sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic are so heavenly. I don't know what I would do without green vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    COME BACK HEIDI!!

Another 30 days in a row of fitness comes to an end next week. I think it's good that I managed to stay away from a scale for several weeks. My last weigh in was 255 just after Coachella and you know what? I feel the exact same weight, clothes fit the exact same and so on, so i'm thinking come next week when i do actually weight myself i'm going to be right around the same.

I felt good on the morning jog today, better than I have in a while. I was thinking my body was wanting a break from the every day but I felt good this morning. My times had been slipping to a couple of minutes slower than normal but I made up some time today so that was good. I like that I break my exercise up into two 20 minute sessions. I think that has to help with metabolism in the morning and the evening. I'm still taking the stairs every day.

During the next 30 days challenge I plan on making some changes. I've been doing the same routine for quite some time now.

So, in about 2 weeks I plan on keeping the jog, stairs and hiking all going. As well as the same basic balanced diet but here are the changes.

-I have been slacking with water, I will get more vigilant with making sure I drink at least 80 oz. of water a day.

-50 jumping jacks after my hike

-push ups I plan on starting with 10 and increasing little by little to see how many I can do by the end of the next 30 days

-diet green tea, I drink a lot of it, I want to limit myself to 1 glass a day

-breakfast, I have been living on raw almonds and bananas for breakfast each day, I think I'm going to start having eggs for breakfast every day and making the banana a mid morning snack.

-NO MORE LATE NIGHT CEREAL This is a big downfall of mine. I'm cutting it out completely and if i'm craving something right before bed I will have a peice of fruit.

-Buffet take out. I have stopped dining in at the buffet and started taking out a carton, I was saving a couple of dollars and it was less food than if I was sitting there. I have been eating it 2-3 times per week on average. New rule, once every two weeks no exceptions.

That's about it for the next 30 days. In fact I think it's more than enough change and if I can stick to them all I will be that much better off for it.

Because this isn't all about body health, but also mental health and education. Tonight I start summer school and another law class and in two weeks an online elective about liesure and society (seems right up my alley ha ha). While i'm continuing my education I want to add to that as well. I have wanted to start reading books for YEARS. It's sad. I have not read a novel or a full book from start to finish in over a decade! Terrible. So, an acquaintance who actually is on this board but probably hasn't posted in quite a long time just finished her first novel in a series and I decided to buy it, just to support someone who was doing something creative. I read the first two chapters the other night. My goal is to finish this novel by the end June or shortly thereafter ha ha.

So here is a plug. The book is called Darkhouse and it's by Karina Halle. Her board name is stubbadub or something like that. I won't imbed for the sake of space...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQhK3kyRRE

Anyone else changing things up or tweaking things for the summer? Anyone else want to get on board with getting healthy who hasn't been into this as of yet? I hope everyone continues to do well and we get some more people active!
    Faxy, you are kicking so much butt. It's awesome. It's really motivating to watch your progress, so thank you for sharing with us!

Personally, I don't see what the harm is in keeping breakfast simple. I do love eggs sometimes, but really, I find I mostly just have a piece of fruit and some nuts or yogurt or something for protein. I figure as long as I'm getting the nutrition in there, that's what matters. But to each their own.

I don't think the simple/light breakfast is harmful, but my personal experience so far is that if I eat breakfast, I am much less hungry for the entire day and tend to eat smaller portions for the rest of the day. Not suggesting it needs to be a huge breakfast -- eggs or turkey sausage, some wheat bread, fruit, maybe veggies (such as home-made "salsa" type stuff) has been working really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    -diet green tea, I drink a lot of it, I want to limit myself to 1 glass a day
    What about switching to real green tea in bags that you brew at home, not adding any sweetener, and drinking as much as you want? It's cheaper, too - a few bucks for a box of tea usually gets you 24 cups or so.

Made 2 gallons of the above suggestion on Monday. 4 bags to 1 gallon of water.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

And if you need sweetness, one thing to try with fresh leaf green tea is mixing in a little bit of a rooibos red or a good white tea. They'll add a bit of flavor and temper some of the bitterness that can come with green tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I find the trick to not having green tea get bitter is to make sure you are not using boiling water, and not to steep for too long. It shouldn't be bitter.

I don't find green tea to be bitter, but I suppose you get used to the taste over time. In fact if I add anything to it, it's usually a bit of lemon or lime juice.

Edit: and yea, what Courtney said. I never catch my kettle before it boils, so I just take it off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes before making my tea.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    What about switching to real green tea in bags that you brew at home, not adding any sweetener, and drinking as much as you want? It's cheaper, too - a few bucks for a box of tea usually gets you 24 cups or so.
    It has been a progression with me and I use these beverages as a crutch in a way for sweet flavor. I went from regular soda to diet soda to diet green tea. I'm crazy addicted to sweet. I have never enjoyed unsweetened tea though I know it's much better.

I do wonder if I was better off without the diet green tea at all. There was a point where I was strictly drinking water but every now and again I get a craving for a flavored drink. Now i'm just abusing it though.

Courtney, thank you for your continued encouragement. I think the reason I was going to try and have a real breakfast was to see if that would cut me back a bit on my appetite later in the day and early evening. I don't know that it will work or not. Plus I kept hearing about how important and good it was to have a big breakfast. I'm torn on this one and open to suggestions. Maybe i'll have eggs just a couple of days a week or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And if you need sweetness, one thing to try with fresh leaf green tea is mixing in a little bit of a rooibos red or a good white tea. They'll add a bit of flavor and temper some of the bitterness that can come with green tea.
    Not a bad suggestion. I'm just not sure how badly I need the tea. I figured cutting back to just one cup of diet green tea a day and i'll be all good.

Talk about challenges, I just got my dried fruit/nut snack out of the vending machine and out came a milky way with it. Both have the same amount of calories.

I stared at the labels long and hard and decided all the sugar in the milky way was a bad idea. Now to gift this candy bar to someone.

I don't think one diet green tea a day is harming you in any way. Just make sure you keep drinking plenty of water too.

Mark, the breakfast thing really helped me, and I suspect that's one of the reasons I've not really gained weight back, even though I stopped watching my diet otherwise. Portion size is my biggest challenge, and after eating a reasonably full breakfast, I'm just not hungry for the rest of the day. I eat lunch and a snack because I should/need to, but I am physically unable to eat very much and more over I find my interest in eating is quite less for the rest of the day. That's key for me -- I am not preoccupied with food or what I'll be eating later.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I find the trick to not having green tea get bitter is to make sure you are not using boiling water, and not to steep for too long. It shouldn't be bitter.
    I couldn't think of the exact description for the flavor I'm thinking: not quite bitter, it's more the dark grassy flavors (again, fuck if I know how to describe what I'm thinking of) that some people love in real green tea and that tends to turn others away. I brewed a cup of mixed green and white today and it's pretty damn heavenly.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Pungent earthiness.

"Diet" tea has always kind of pissed me off. Tea has zero calories - what the fuck are they adding to it that they have to make it diet?

Also, Mark, green tea is really good with just a little bit of honey in it. That way you get the sweet fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

iced-tea maker, faxy. invest in one. i drink a ton of tea and both twilight & amy gave me one for xmas. it's wonderful and a cheap way to get my caffeine fix, like hannah suggested.

also, faxy, they make these water bottles that i get at target for like $10. they have measurement indicators on the bottle & a dial on the top that you can adjust to show how much water you have drank. that might motivate you to keep track.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I couldn't think of the exact description for the flavor I'm thinking: not quite bitter, it's more the dark grassy flavors (again, fuck if I know how to describe what I'm thinking of) that some people love in real green tea and that tends to turn others away. I brewed a cup of mixed green and white today and it's pretty damn heavenly.
    Have you ever tried pu-ehr? Talk about grassy. I've always described it as tasting like the 4H booth at the fair.

I actually really like it, but it's definitely a tea lover's tea.

I'm worried about why you're running around licking 4H booths.

I should say, tasting like the 4H booth smells... kind of like liquid alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    iced-tea maker, faxy. invest in one. i drink a ton of tea and both twilight & amy gave me one for xmas. it's wonderful and a cheap way to get my caffeine fix, like hannah suggested.

also, faxy, they make these water bottles that i get at target for like $10. they have measurement indicators on the bottle & a dial on the top that you can adjust to show how much water you have drank. that might motivate you to keep track.
    Oh, I do have a water bottle at work. It's 24 oz. I drink from it daily and try to sip and make sure it's full at all times. I drink a minimum of 3 of these but I should be drinking at least four me thinks. At home, I have maybe 1 or 2 glasses of water at night as well. Up until recently when it's been replaced with 2-3 glasses of diet green tea. That's really the only adustment I need to make as far as the tea goes. Drink water all day and keep track of my oz's and then have one cup of diet green tea with dinner and just water after that.

Ice water burns more calories than room temp water.

Grrrr, I have to get in on the happenings of this thread. I was such an out of shape puss this year.

The old standard was 8-8oz glasses a day but now I usually read that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces. I definitely need more than 64 oz a day. Even when I was a scrawny little kid I drank water constantly. I use 1 or 1.5 liter bottles, drinking 2 of those a day is more than enough.

Yes, I was starting to dip below 70 oz a day. I probably need about 125 oz. a day right now. Drinking that much water also helps with portion control and appetite as well.

I have had some great great compliments about my appearance and weight loss the last couple of days. It's been really nice to hear so many compliments. I have to admit one co worker this morning was a bit too excited and made it rather embarassing. She was just so loud about it and she kept repeating it over and over again and saying things like "oh my god" and "you really really look great". I don't do well with those. I can take a compliment and say thank you but the whole spectacle she was making made me uneasy and probably sound ungrateful. It was also very exciting for her that I was wearing a shirt tucked in. I felt like a kid who was getting slobbered over before heading off to church on Easter or something. Awkward!

Anyway, tomorrow is the completion of this months 30 days in a row of exercise. I will finally weigh myself either tomorrow evening or Wednesday. I don't physically feel like i've lost any more weight since the last time I weighed myself a week after Coachella. I think i'll always have that fat boy mentality though no matter how much I lose. I will say I haven't felt this good and alive in a very long time. I had a fantastic weekend and ate a bunch of food I should not have but I don't even get angry about that stuff anymore. I know that 99% of the time i'm making the right choices and more importantly I know i'm exercising every single day and being active and having a not so healthy meal isn't nealry as bad as eating that way every day and never exercising.

When I went to L. A. this weekend I made it a point to get in a jog on Saturday morning in N. Hollywood. It felt great. The weather was fantastic and it kick started the day in a great way. I knew I was going to be eating some not so healthy food too so the jog was definitely a priority. I followed it up with my first ever chicken and waffles experience at Rosco's in Hollywood. I had 3 chicken wings and a waffle. Delicious. In the afternoon I had some great Mexican food while visiting my roommate in El Monte. I don't remember the name of the place but I had an all meat burrito and a hard shell deep fried shredded beef taco. Again, delicious and I was stuffed. Then I drove back to phoenix and obviously wasn't hungry the rest of the day and night. Then yesterday I didn't eat anything all morning and afternoon. I went to eat some tasty BBQ for dinner though and that was the most full I felt in a very long time. Absolutely stuffed. I got a sampler which was bbq chicken, rips, briquette and slices of pork, mac n cheese and cheesy potatoes and TWO giant cups of homemade rootbeer. Damn that was tasty. As stuffed as I was I unnecesarily ate some hot cappy and provalone cheese around 10PM on a low carb tortilla.

I did get my exercise in yesterday as well. I jogged for 1.5 miles on the treadmill in the late AM and then I spent a couple of hours in the pool in the afternoon. It was absolutely beautiful and perfect pool weather yesterday. I was doing laps and my arms are even a bit sore today. So i've found another active outdoor activity. I plan on swimming more this summer. I didn't step foot in the pool once last summer but it was such a great day, I would do laps and then read a book and get sun for a bit and then back in the pool some more and read some more. I felt like a million bucks after that.

I have been neglecting my bike for a bit, I was waiting to lose more weight before taking it out again and I think it's about time for me to do that again soon. Hiking, swimming, jogging and next biking! I feel like a different person with a whole new active lifestyle. It even sounds weird saying active lifestyle when i've been a non mover for so long. I have made my list of a few changes for this next month and I will review it. Tomorrow is day 30 so it's likely I will not push myself very hard during the week long break between 30 day challenges. I'm going to let my body recover a bit. I know for a fact though I won't be stopping everything during the short break.

How was everyone elses weekend? Hopefully you didn't eat as much as me but you got out and did some stuff!

Mark - I forgot to suggest earlier that if you don't want to give up your sweetened green tea, you could always dilute it with home-brewed tea and then your allotted one bottle would last you longer. The same method could be used to step down gradually from the sweetener, too.