Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

If I had a patio, I'd definitely have a grill. To be clear, I'm considering climbing on to my neighbor's roof with a small camping grill and cooking up there (as we used to do a few ties a week...).

Raw is certainly better than cooked, but cooked veggies are better than none. I try to grill mine to still be slightly crispy (not completely cooked) but it takes some practice since some veggies cook very quickly on the grill.

loca, it's easy enough to light charcoal grills (of the kind we're talking about). I use a bit of paper or newspaper, that I light with a lighter rather than using matches. I used to have a old fashioned indoor electric grill, but I hated it. Food didn't taste right (using a grill pan would get a similar effect), and the amount of smoke it produced would set off my smoke detector. I use a George Foreman grill occasionally but it's really not the same.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I use a Foreman grill all the time and it's definitely not the same. I will say it's convenient though. I use it for boneless/skinless chicken breasts that I keep in the freezer. I never have to thaw them out. Straight from frozen to cooked on the Foreman grill in less than 10 minutes.

Loca, now I want pork and pineapple grilled on skewers. Yum. I love adding pinapple to stir fry/mongolian bbq as well.

Really? Do they actually cook through easily? I might try that. I've been trying not to use a lot of frozen meat, but realistically this results in me not eating meat at all.

Yep, sometimes halfway through the cooking i'll slice the chicken a bit but I have been tossing completely frozen right out of the freezer chicken breasts on the Foreman for years now. I season about halfway through as well since seasoning frozen would be silly but it's so easy. Less than 10 minutes and completely cooked. My issue with the Foreman is keeping it clean. My Foreman grill is the smallest one and it's about 6 years old now but still cooks like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I use a Foreman grill all the time and it's definitely not the same. I will say it's convenient though. I use it for boneless/skinless chicken breasts that I keep in the freezer. I never have to thaw them out. Straight from frozen to cooked on the Foreman grill in less than 10 minutes.

Loca, now I want pork and pineapple grilled on skewers. Yum. I love adding pinapple to stir fry/mongolian bbq as well.

We have an indoor grill that we use pretty much all winter. What I like about ours is that the plates come out and can go in the dishwasher. It's quick and easy and we do the same thing with chicken breasts, sometime we season or marinate them and grill them up. It's awesome. But since it's a nice day today and actually feels like summer in Cowtown, we have a 25 lb turkey in our smoker in the backyard. Turkey sammies for the next 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

What grill do you use, ThatGirl? I used to have a really old fashioned one but it tended to produce a lot of smoke. The original Foreman that I have (and Mark too I think) does not have plates that come out so I usually just wipe it off rather than really clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    What grill do you use, ThatGirl? I used to have a really old fashioned one but it tended to produce a lot of smoke. The original Foreman that I have (and Mark too I think) does not have plates that come out so I usually just wipe it off rather than really clean it.
    It's a Hamilton Beach - not sure if it's a Canadian brand or not, but I have to say it kicks ass for clean up. My friend had one with fixed plates and it was a bother to get it clean in all the crevices.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

This guy (Drew's Thai Sesame Lime Dressing & Marinade)...

... is an amazing marinade. It actually has a very neutral flavor (meaning it's not entirely "Asian" tasting), it has 80 calories, 1g saturated fat and 1g of carbs per tablespoon. Most importantly, if you marinate chicken breasts in this stuff overnight (with some added garlic, ginger and chili paste) they grill up incredibly moist. Seriously, never had chicken breasts this juicy in my life. And this is on a damn electric grill. They're going to be even better on my propane grill when I finally buy it. I marinate 4 or 5 breasts, grill them up in one day, chill them and then chop them into pieces to use on salads throughout the week. The flavor is, as I noted, neutral enough that it can work on Asian, Mediterranean, Southwestern, Californian style salads.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Got the results finally, turns out the thyroid is fine. And I'm not losing weight anymore, or gaining really. When I was on holidays I did a ton of walking but was missing my Zumba classes, and the heavy cardio I'm so used to. It felt good to get back in a routine going 3 or 4 times a week again.
    I'm glad your blood-test results came back fine. It's good to get that kind of thing checked out. Good luck with sticking to your routine.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    I'm glad your blood-test results came back fine. It's good to get that kind of thing checked out. Good luck with sticking to your routine.
    Yes and I hope you are doing better too!

I ate too much on Sunday and Monday but i'm back on track. I didn't exercise at all yesterday and I felt like crap because of it. I almost get depressed or feel as though i'm missing something in my day when I miss one completely. I jogged this morning though and it felt great. It wakes me up better than coffee has ever done at this point. I plan on hiking after work today as well. I created excuses for missing yesterday like my dog is sick and I had to watch the debates last night.

Oh and lets talk about how ridiculous I get when I over eat. This is what I ate yesterday.

Breakfast-A banana and raw almonds

mid morning snack-a vending machine bag of dried fruit and nuts

Lunch-a healthy choice steamer bowl with raw almonds

mid afternoon snack - a bag of peanut m&m's

Not terrible up to that point but this his where it gets crazy.

Dinner and throughout the night...

1 lamb chop
    1 bowl of broccoli/green peppers/onions and shredded cheese (bowl was probably 2 cups)
    6 baked chicken thighs yes you read that right.

3 bowls of honey bunches of oats with real strawberries. 1% milk, spenda and two giant spoonfulls of kroger brand light wip cream

1 tortilla w/ wip cream spread across it and cereal sprinkled on top of that and folded into a taco of sorts.

munchies munchies munchies I also had a glass of diet green tea and some flavored water but those aren't too terrible. I obviously don't eat like this often or I wouldn't have lost as much as I have so far. The funny part is I was planning on coming home and drinking. If I got drunk, I probably would not have eaten at all which would have worked great since I didn't exercise and the alcohol wasn't crazy high in calories or anything. Oh well. I stumbled and I have moved on. The only thing i'm dwelling on is how bad I felt eating it all without exercising yesteray and how great I felt after my jog this morning.

Also worth noting is I did my jog without any headphones or music this morning. I think i've done that twice since i've started this. It wasn't all that bad, I get sick of hearing myself breath though.

I'm having a really bad week, and don't want to go into it except to complain that I am eating anything I can get my hands on. Fortunately I am still at least sticking to the exercise routine. Those hand weights I bought 2 weeks ago are actually getting used 4 times a week so far.

Also worth noting is I did my jog without any headphones or music this morning. I think i've done that twice since i've started this. It wasn't all that bad, I get sick of hearing myself breath though.
    Nice! I used to only be able to run with my ipod, but gave it up and now run without any tunes. I think it distracts me a bit as I associated the time of the song with the distance I was running.

Running without tunes leaves you to your thoughts. And I'm totally with you on hearing your own breathing, but eventually you just say "fuck it" and keep motoring on.

Keep it up, everyone!

...and I nearly passed out after a 4 mile run this past weekend. Success!
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

3 bowls of honey bunches of oats with real strawberries. 1% milk, spenda and two giant spoonfulls of kroger brand light wip cream
    was the whip cream really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    was the whip cream really necessary?
    As if any of if the 3 bowls of cereal and 6 chicken thighs were?

Quote Originally Posted by bucketofpower View Post
    Nice! I used to only be able to run with my ipod, but gave it up and now run without any tunes. I think it distracts me a bit as I associated the time of the song with the distance I was running.

Running without tunes leaves you to your thoughts. And I'm totally with you on hearing your own breathing, but eventually you just say "fuck it" and keep motoring on.

Keep it up, everyone!

...and I nearly passed out after a 4 mile run this past weekend. Success!
    I have read a lot about people who jog outdoors and how they shouldn't use any headphones. I would like to think I could do that but it's part of what makes it enjoyable. On the trails I can see it being a bad idea so you can hear other people on the trail coming from behind whether they be bikers or people jogging faster. Outside of that there is the general thought that you need to be aware of your surroundings. I'm stubborn though and I do rely on it most of the time. I used to refuse to exercise without music though and then I realized that's completely ridiculous so i've at least graduated from that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'm having a really bad week, and don't want to go into it except to complain that I am eating anything I can get my hands on. Fortunately I am still at least sticking to the exercise routine. Those hand weights I bought 2 weeks ago are actually getting used 4 times a week so far.
    At least you're using those weights! Eating is my biggest problem. I just don't like to stop sometimes and it's all about taste and has nothing to do with being full or not. I know you will get back on track with the food though, usually a trip to the grocery store gets you back on track or that tricky game of making time to make a meal. Portion control is a big obstacle for me still. I win most days so that's a plus. Hang in there Heidi and remember your not giving up on anything and we're working on life long health. Forever is a really long time and we can win most days! A stumble should never frustrate so much we give up for weeks or a months. All we can do is muster some effort most days.

As if any of if the 3 bowls of cereal and 6 chicken thighs were?
    it seems reasonable considering you had a lite breakfast & lunch.

I think its time I dip my toe into this pool. I used to work out and jog daily. I've let it all go on the back burner for too damn long and it's time I get back on track, literally speaking. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been in my life right now, and I don't like it one bit. Thanks all for the inspiration.

I've jogged with music both playing and not. I got to the point where i couldn't use it anymore because it would dictate my pace and that would throw off my routine. Maybe I shouldnt have been listening to Rage so much.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Welcome EastLos, your name is Clever right? Or am I confusing you with someone else who camped with us in the past? It's been a while and my memory gets foggy ha.

Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    it seems reasonable considering you had a lite breakfast & lunch.
    Alright then. I just figured the couple table spoons of light wip cream were far less damaging. Like, why couldn't I just have 3 thighs and 1 bowl of cereal. To answer your question, of course the wip cream wasn't necessary. It just made it taste better.

Thanks for the Welcome. Wasn't me Camping. Next year will be my first year camping. My name is Beto.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

Ah ok, I just realized the person i was confusing you with was LostSoul. Damn board names and real life names confuse me. Anyway, welcome beto!

Gracias... I know its easier to get back in shape when you're not alone.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

when on trails, i turn my headphone volume down low enough so that i can hear my surroundings. i don't jog though; i walk. same thing with riding a bike. i'm sure that's not "ideal", but i'm generally biking on designated bike paths without cars, or in a neighborhood area so i'm not too worried about it. i'm not advanced enough to be riding with traffic on major streets.

i picked the perfect time to south beach again, because i have been so sick with no appetite the past week i've been doing it. i haven't been snacking and have been eating very small portions. unfortunately this brutal bronchitis has made it so i can't really be outside walking and my complex's fitness center is being remodeled, so that's not an option (and i wouldn't want to cough all over everyone). i'm trying to fit in 15 minutes when i can, but it's tough to even do that. gotta just focus on getting well.

unfortunately i am not a grill master it seems. i can't seem to get the grill to stay hot. i'm going to try one of those canister lighter things when i can get to the store to get one. very disheartening though.

and i don't have any good advice on portion control or stopping eating. i know we've all talked about options like waiting a half hour or drinking a glass of water. we all know what to do, we just don't do it when we're in a funk. i certainly have been there this past year.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I have a cheap $15 grill from walmart that is really small. I purchased the cheapest lighter fluid and the cheapest coals (not pre soaked or anything). What I do is pour out one layer of coals on the bottom of the grill. Soak them. Then start making my pyramid and soak them as I build each layer. Then when it's all done, I soak it all one more time. Then I go inside and let it sit for about 10 full minutes. I go back outside and light the coals at that point. I figure i'm letting the lighter fluid soak into the coals good by waiting. Then I light the coals and double check that all the little vents on the side and top of the grill are open. I light the coals in several areas, bottom and all around. Then I go back inside for another 15 minutes until coals start to get gray. I destroy the pyramid and spread the coals and throw the meat on and close the lid still keeping all those vents open. Then let it cook. The coals seem to last so long I usually start going through the freezer and finding more and more stuff to throw on the grill because I don't grill often. I figure I better take advantage while the coals are still hot lol.

It's also worth noting I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I first got this grill a few months ago. I hadn't grilled in a few years and thought it would just be as simple as pouring some lighter fluid on and immediately lighting it and stepping back. It would never stay lit. I kept relighting and relighting and it took like 2 hours for me to get a steak grilled. Very frustrating. I got it figured out now though.

I need to get back on South Beach, Ivy. I've been deluding myself that I could just "sort of" do it, but it's clear to me now that I need to do Phase 1 again. However, I can't think of any time that I want to stop drinking for 2 weeks :P Maybe right after July 4th....

The eating should be completely within my control and I'm just not exercising any will power at all. I'm not even eating huge portions just eating ALL. THE. TIME. And I've had dessert like.. every day. I'll get it together soon. :/

yeah, this time frame was easy for me because i drank a LOT around my birthday and my next big event is in LA next thursday for donald's respect showing.

thanks for the tips faxy, i'm sure i just need practice i'm at least trying different things each time i grill so i'm not banging my head against a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    same thing with riding a bike. i'm sure that's not "ideal", but i'm generally biking on designated bike paths without cars, or in a neighborhood area so i'm not too worried about it. i'm not advanced enough to be riding with traffic on major streets.
    I've ridden in the past and I noticed I never had a problem when I would only use one earphone. depeending on the setting sometimes the song would sound fucked up, but it was generally a good distraction from my legs burning. lol.

Good God I need to get back in shape. my bikes just rusting at home.

i feel ridiculous on a bike. for whatever reason, it takes me a lot more effort than everyone else to get my speed. granted, i don't ride very often, but when i first get started pedaling, i really, really want to give up.