Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Checking Ebay for hyperactive thyroids.

So that minor foot injury I had a couple of weeks ago just kept getting worse. May have to have surgery, but for now it's just physical therapy and staying off of it. I haven't done any cardio (outside of walking) in 5 weeks now. So frustrating. Thinking about upgrading my 24 HR Fitness membership so I can go to a club with a swimming pool. Despite all this nonsense, I started lifting again and I'm still cooking my lean protein/low carb meals at home. Down 3 lbs in the last month. Can't wait to get back to cardio again.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    Have you had your thyroid checked out? I went through the same thing about a year and a half ago. I unintentionally lost almost 30 pounds in less than 2 months, and it turns out I had a hyperactive thyroid.
    Jesus. Ok..I have a lab sheet from my annual physical that I still need to go do the blood work etc for, I think a thyroid check is on there. I have to fast and all that crap before hand so it's been a pain to find a time to do it. But I'll get on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

it's not much, but i've managed to walk almost every day since tuesday of last week. i didn't walk friday & saturday because i worked, went to urgent care & slept all day with a sinus infection and bronchitis, so that's pretty good.

i'm just glad to be getting back into the rhythm again. i forgot how much energy i have after my walks and i'm just in a MUCH better mood. it's also so much easier if i do it the second i get home. like yesterday, IFA was coming over, but i convinced myself to just do the 15 minutes around the area where my complex is. then once i got going, it was easy to just add another 15 minutes onto that. and it had been raining/sprinkling, so i'm even more happy i was able make it out in between rainfall.

hope everyone else is keeping up the fitchella!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

i'm starting to not hate green vegetables, so i think this is a start.
    July 12 - Matthew Dear
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

shit that's like half the battle.

I haven't been posting because I'm totally off the wagon. Will rejoin you on June 1 :/

The murder capital where we murder for capital

COME BACK HEIDI!!

Another 30 days in a row of fitness comes to an end next week. I think it's good that I managed to stay away from a scale for several weeks. My last weigh in was 255 just after Coachella and you know what? I feel the exact same weight, clothes fit the exact same and so on, so i'm thinking come next week when i do actually weight myself i'm going to be right around the same.

I felt good on the morning jog today, better than I have in a while. I was thinking my body was wanting a break from the every day but I felt good this morning. My times had been slipping to a couple of minutes slower than normal but I made up some time today so that was good. I like that I break my exercise up into two 20 minute sessions. I think that has to help with metabolism in the morning and the evening. I'm still taking the stairs every day.

During the next 30 days challenge I plan on making some changes. I've been doing the same routine for quite some time now.

So, in about 2 weeks I plan on keeping the jog, stairs and hiking all going. As well as the same basic balanced diet but here are the changes.

-I have been slacking with water, I will get more vigilant with making sure I drink at least 80 oz. of water a day.

-50 jumping jacks after my hike

-push ups I plan on starting with 10 and increasing little by little to see how many I can do by the end of the next 30 days

-diet green tea, I drink a lot of it, I want to limit myself to 1 glass a day

-breakfast, I have been living on raw almonds and bananas for breakfast each day, I think I'm going to start having eggs for breakfast every day and making the banana a mid morning snack.

-NO MORE LATE NIGHT CEREAL This is a big downfall of mine. I'm cutting it out completely and if i'm craving something right before bed I will have a peice of fruit.

-Buffet take out. I have stopped dining in at the buffet and started taking out a carton, I was saving a couple of dollars and it was less food than if I was sitting there. I have been eating it 2-3 times per week on average. New rule, once every two weeks no exceptions.

That's about it for the next 30 days. In fact I think it's more than enough change and if I can stick to them all I will be that much better off for it.

Because this isn't all about body health, but also mental health and education. Tonight I start summer school and another law class and in two weeks an online elective about liesure and society (seems right up my alley ha ha). While i'm continuing my education I want to add to that as well. I have wanted to start reading books for YEARS. It's sad. I have not read a novel or a full book from start to finish in over a decade! Terrible. So, an acquaintance who actually is on this board but probably hasn't posted in quite a long time just finished her first novel in a series and I decided to buy it, just to support someone who was doing something creative. I read the first two chapters the other night. My goal is to finish this novel by the end June or shortly thereafter ha ha.

So here is a plug. The book is called Darkhouse and it's by Karina Halle. Her board name is stubbadub or something like that. I won't imbed for the sake of space...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQhK3kyRRE

Anyone else changing things up or tweaking things for the summer? Anyone else want to get on board with getting healthy who hasn't been into this as of yet? I hope everyone continues to do well and we get some more people active!

heidi, you can do it!!! why june 1st?

and mark, those are some ambitious goals! you've been doing great so far, so i have no doubt you'll be able to do even better in the future.

I got a big success today: 30 pounds off since I've started my weight loss work. My dad and I started our weight loss competition mid August last year, and I weighed 213.8 at that time. My initial goal with all this was to get into the 170s, which is where I was at the end of High School, but now I'm at 183 and I still want to get rid of my gut, so it looks like I'll be hanging out in this thread quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

congratulations! that is quite an achievement. i've noticed when i'm fit it's easier to stay motivated because the goals become much smaller. what are you doing to say goodbye to the gut?

That's fantastic Bryan and welcome back to the thread, just in time for summer!

I've gotten to 125 crunches a day, I always take stairs rather than elevators, and I've almost completely cut fast and processed foods out of my diet. For me, the biggest things were all more little lifestyle changes than big dietary or exercise pushes. In the past year I've been really focusing on being more accountable to myself for my diet, my fitness and general well-being, and I've definitely seen the positive effects left and right.

Oh, and I've also stopped drinking so frequently. That was a big one. When you have two beers a night every night, at least, you're gonna get a gut eventually. When you do that for six years, you're gonna have a bowling ball sized gut.

Eh, I've managed to get sick again, and I go on vacation in a week, so right now I'm in self-preservation mode and not going to re-start exercising until my respiratory illness goes away. But I'm back from my trip by June 1 - and have that day off work - so it seemed like a good time to re-commit.

I never really got back on track after Coachella, but happily I've only gained back 1 or 2 lbs from where I was before the festival (despite 4 weeks of minimal exercise and not watching my diet!), so I feel really confident that I can pick up again in 2 weeks. Plus I'm going to burn a few million calories dancing my ass off at DEMF

that's the best way to burn calories i also noticed in the past year or so i haven't been going out dancing much, so that has contributed to the weight gain. there just hasn't been much to go dance to here unfortunately.

and bryan, lifestyle changes are the hardest to make, but probably the most beneficial in the long run. i'm happy to hear it's been working for you

We'll be here when you come back

Bryan, those adjustments can make all the difference in the world. I didn't recognize the most basic things for a very long time. I'm a bit slow though. Sounds lke you are developing the right habits based on what you have figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    that's the best way to burn calories i also noticed in the past year or so i haven't been going out dancing much, so that has contributed to the weight gain. there just hasn't been much to go dance to here unfortunately.
    The nothing to dance to thing has been a huge problem for me as well, since for a long while that was my main mode of exercise. I'll occasionally have solo dance parties in my living room, but it ain't the same.

I have managed to lose about 7 pounds since Coachella though, so that's good. Mostly though I think it's because I haven't had much of an appetite the last few weeks. I certainly haven't been exercising at all. Pretty much all I've been doing when I get off work is go home and paint.

I am looking forward to some serious dancing at Melt on Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

Great opportunties for fun exercise this weekend in LA:

The Big Parade
    The Big Parade is a two-day walk through Los Angeles that will start in downtown, at the famous Angel's Flight Stairway, and finish at the Hollywood Sign above Beachwood Canyon. Day One ends - and Day Two begins - at the famous music Music Box Stairs - site of the Oscar-winning Laurel & Hardy film of the same name - in Silverlake. It will take place May 21 and 22, 2011.

There’s also going to be a prologue on Friday, May 20, led by Bob Inman, covering the stairways between Eagle Rock and downtown.

Most important: This is a community walk. That means we stay together as a group, and it means that YOU CAN DO IT! Why? Because we break the walk into segments so that walkers of all ages and levels of fitness can join us at specific times (of course, anyone is welcome to meet us at any point along the way - and all are invited to join us at the end to celebrate the walk).

A core group of will be doing the entire event. But - as the name "Big Parade" implies - the true nature of the journey is community-based. In addition to passing dozens of landmarks, we will be joined by community members, both individuals and in groups, as we pass through the city's most diverse neighborhoods. The walk is broken into specific segments.

Among the other features of the walk will be:
    • A "backcountry" bushwhack along a secret dirt road between Silverlake and Echo Park.
    • A cross-country segment that runs through Griffith Park.
    • Landmarks that are famous, not-so-famous, infamous, and just-plain-weird (over thirty of them, mapped and ready for viewing)
    • Music.
    • Visits with community groups and local organizations.
    • And a movie, Saturday night, 8:30, at the Music Box Steps (that’s a still, above, from the film we’re showing.)
    • Open to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

i also noticed in the past year or so i haven't been going out dancing much, so that has contributed to the weight gain. there just hasn't been much to go dance to here unfortunately.
    I've been seriously noticing this. If there's dancy stuff going on around me, it tends to be brostep or kandykid-style boring stuff. Bands aren't, by and large, making me dance much anymore, and people are increasingly standing still at shows again. I definitely used to use dancing as my main exercise, so all that's been making me sad.

i'm glad to hear it's not just arizona that is feeling the great dance drought of the 2000 and teens.

I've found more stuff than ever to go dance to, but I've also been making more of an effort to do so. I think it's out there if you try. And if not, organize your own :P

i'm sure it's a bit easier in SF than phoenix

we used to have weekly drum and bass nights, not anymore. and most of the dnb scene has moved to dubstep. there were other weeklies that played good music. i don't even know where to find good hip-hop anymore except for the bottom floor of this one club that has practically zero room to dance because the dancefloor is essentiallyt he walkway to the bathroom & there's a giant staircase in the middle. those were usually cheap. i can't really afford regular concerts or anything.

i'm sure there's some stuff out there, but it's not like it used to be and i don't know as many of the promoters to get on the lists anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I've found more stuff than ever to go dance to, but I've also been making more of an effort to do so. I think it's out there if you try. And if not, organize your own :P
    If I couldn't dance every week, I'd probably jump out of my own skin. Zumba is a life saver for me because it's fun and expressive, and burns a crapload of calories. Plus it's a lot of fun and doesn't feel like a dreaded "oh god 60 mins on the treadmill" cardio workout.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

i would like to take dance classes.

I didn't mean concerts, Ivy, just club nights or whatever. I've been trying to branch out more, not just electronic stuff.

most of our nightclubs here are in scottsdale and generally play top 40s. you're right that there probably is SOMETHING out there worth going to dance to, but it takes real digging.

Salah and I went to a New Wave one last week, it was brilliant. There are various nights here like 80's, goth, britpop, etc, that have me thinking I need to go out dancing more.

i would like to take dance classes.
    Have you tried Zumba? It's like latin mixed with hip hop, African, Bollywood, all wrapped up into a giant cardio sweatfest.

I've been really wanting to take dance classes. Seems like a fun and hot way to get some exercise and meet people.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Salah and I went to a New Wave one last week, it was brilliant. There are various nights here like 80's, goth, britpop, etc, that have me thinking I need to go out dancing more.
    we used to have a night called hot pink that played that style of music. i would MURDER BABIES for a night like that. generally i can find like one dj that will play that stuff, but then it's like electrotrash before/after.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Have you tried Zumba? It's like latin mixed with hip hop, African, Bollywood, all wrapped up into a giant cardio sweatfest.
    i've heard so many good things, i may need to try this.

If you have a gym membership a lot of gyms offer Zumba now, or you can take classes at dance studios, there is even a Wii game that I have at home, but it's not got the same energy as being in a room with a bunch of people dancing. Another plus is that the instructor doesn't shout instructions during class - you just follow the movements. They sometimes do hand signals to tell you change from right to left, or go back to the top but that's it. No yelling over the music "1, 2, 3, 4" blah blah". It's great.