Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Timberlake: 2012 Headliner

Default Re: Justin Timberlake: 2012 Headliner

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Great question. Kinda.

I think the thought process goes kind of like this:

First off, one may decide to lump all Top 40-ish, pop-ish R&B in one category of "no artistic integrity." The people doing that aren't going to want to have this conversation at all, and I assume the argument is something like "when you make music like this you aren't talented/creative/challenging enough to be taken seriously, and you would hurt the integrity of Coachella by headlining." I feel like this hypothetical group may still be ok with Jack Johnson headlining in the sense that, at least he's writing his own music, playing an instrument, etc etc.

Now, there's another group that says what I'm calling "pop" for purposes of this discussion can be divided up into a bunch of hierarchies. There's people like Ke$ha who (I assume, but may be totally wrong) are not really doing anything except being handed a sheet of lyrics someone else wrote that they sing (with the help of significant production) over music someone else composed and the final product sounds a lot like what 50 million other people on the radio are doing.

But then you get some acts that for one of a handful of reasons, appear to have more "integrity." Take Timberlake - the argument's there that he's got a great voice, great live 'entertainer,' and arguably makes some of the more interesting/challenging pop music out there (again, I'm saying it's interesting/challenging FOR Top 40, not for the whole universe of music). You've got Kanye, on the other hand, who has been kinda panned for being a weak live performer, but makes fairly interesting hip hop/pop with consistently interesting production (which he's responsible for). Plus, he's got the Pitchfork endorsement.

But then you get into a Chris Brown, for example. Some of the same elements are there - great voice, I guess, except he sounds like a lot of other people. Good dancer, but I'm not convinced the "dancing" alone is what sells Timberlake's live shows. But where he really falls short is the music aspect. Chris Brown hasn't really developed a unique sound - he's fungible with most of the other pop/R&B acts out there (and he certainly doesn't have the body of work of a Timberlake or Kanye).

Usher's the same way, musically - his songs are fairly formulaic with fairly run of the mill production value. I feel like I could hear an Usher song on the radio and be unsure as to who was performing it - on the other hand, nothing sounds like "SexyBack" (which is 99% attributable to Timbaland, but still).

As far as the Eminems and Li'l Waynes of the world go, it gets trickier, because I feel the same way as you, but I'm not sure why. Is it the lack of crossover into "ideal Coachella-goer" audience? Meaning: I have this feeling that a big bulk of the people who go to Coachella because they enjoy a large amount of acts playing at Coachella (rather than just a headliner) probably don't listen to Wayne and Em, but they've probably got Kanye on their iPod. Personally, I think it's because Kanye has consistently put out a better product than those guys, but it may also be because Kanye's sound is more "complex" -- Wayne and Eminem don't have an 808s and Heartbreaks in their discographies (though I guess Wayne did that alternative rock abortion). Li'l Wayne's kind of a Pitchfork darling like Kanye, too -- but, I agree, it's just "different."

I'm not sure this accomplished anything.

descent post but i have to disagree on a few things, first distantincing eminem from kanye as without depth im guessing, the marshal mathers lp was just as dark and as an emotional tale, as for lil wayne i dont know his catalogue, second im curious by your own reasoning (not that I want it) writes own music, performs well is changelling to the "top 40" listener what seperates someone like JT from linkin park headlining coachella?
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Someone please volunteer to address the question of what separates Justin Timberlake from Linkin Park headlining Coachella for Brycerosen, a man who still hasn't changed his signature concerning his Coachella trip. He went to Chile, guys. Jelly?

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Jamiroquai opens for JT .... Sexy dance party!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Justin would kill. I would be all over his ass.

On a related note. I was thinking today that it would be funny if *N'SYNC was the big reunion act next year. But I'd hate for them to follow in the footsteps on the atrocious Backstreet Boys.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

JT is a panty dropper, what more could you want from an artist?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Someone please volunteer to address the question of what separates Justin Timberlake from Linkin Park headlining Coachella for Brycerosen?
    well then what seperates them? humor me?
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    Justin would kill. I would be all over his ass.
    we dont have to tell your girlfriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I don't listen to his stuff all the much but his solo albums are pretty damn good. Depending on who else is playing I probably would even check him out. But guys we are missing an important factor here, think about the amount of females he would attract to the polo fields?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    I don't listen to his stuff all the much but his solo albums are pretty damn good. Depending on who else is playing I probably would even check him out. But guys we are missing an important factor here, think about the amount of females he would attract to the polo fields?
    Yeah, you're right. If he headlined 2012, girls would start going to the festival for the music and not just to get laid.

He's the black Michael Jackson of our time
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    we dont have to tell your girlfriend
    I think she'd be lenient on this one. That is if she's not on it first.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Hell fucking no, and the irony of someone that bitches about "bros" inviting Timberlake to the party is thick and tasty.

I'll give legitimate reasons.

1. He doesn't write most of his material. Coachella celebrates ARTISTS, not actors who can sing and dance.

2. You can't have an act that's bigger than the festival. Timberlake's fan base is loaded with rich high school girls who would gladly spend their folks' money on the biggest JT performance ever. A good chunk of the crowd wouldn't give two shits about most of the other artists. It'd basically be a collection of LA private school students.

3. You don't need to pay Justin Timberlake an exorbitant amount of money to perform at a festival that doesn't need him on it to sell out.

4. Justin Timberlake doesn't need the booking. He can book 4 nights at Staples Center and perform to legions of high schoolers (and pathetic adults) and sell out all of them.

I agree with you regarding #2 and #4 but it's my understanding that he writes most of his material, at least in collaboration with others.

#3 is an argument that could be made for a number of headliners past and present.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    Hell fucking no, and the irony of someone that bitches about "bros" inviting Timberlake to the party is thick and tasty.

I'll give legitimate reasons.

1. Madonna doesn't write most of her material. Coachella celebrates ARTISTS, not actors who can sing and dance.

2. You can't have an act that's bigger than the festival. Kings of Leons' fan base is loaded with rich high school girls who would gladly spend their folks' money on the biggest Kings of Leon performance ever. A good chunk of the crowd wouldn't give two shits about most of the other artists. It'd basically be a collection of LA private school students.

3. You don't need to pay Paul McCartney an exorbitant amount of money to perform at a festival that doesn't need him on it to sell out.

4. Jay-Z doesn't need the booking. He can book 4 nights at Staples Center and perform to legions of high schoolers (and pathetic adults) and sell out all of them.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I'd much rather see this than Madonna or Gaga or Tool or Foo Fighters or Deadmau5 or whatthefuckever.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I'd much rather see this than Madonna or Gaga or Tool or Foo Fighters or Deadmau5 or whatthefuckever.
    Soul Discharge: typical "bro".
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I'd also like to add that the majority of Justin Timberlake fans are no longer in highschool.

Soul Discharge: typical "bro".
    If I wrote you a symphony, just to say how much you mean to me, what would you do?

Also, Pitchfork gave Futuresex/LoveSounds an 8.1. Pitchforkapproved.

1 - I can't really argue with you on that one, though I'd say that the timing on the Madonna booking was a full two decades after she was everyone's beat-off material. 10 years from now, girls may not rub their nubs to Timberlake as much, and we may be able to celebrate him more as an artist. I don't think Madonna would have headlined something like Coachella at the height of her sexual iconography.

2. Comparing Kings of Leon to Justin Timberlake in this situation is stupid as fuck. Kings of Leon aren't teen idols, they're just a popular band who happen to be kinda boring.

3. Comparing Paul McCartney, a member of the Beatles, to Justin Timberlake, a member of N'Sync... once again stupid.

4. I'm sure Jay-Z has his own group of Jigga superfans who put his face on posters, write him creepy fan mail, etc. That group is not as affluent or large as Timberlake's group. A lot of people like Jay Z but won't pay $300 for a fest because he's on it. Rich white girls are a different story, rich white girls at LA private schools are a MUCH different story.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I love me some Lil' Boosie but Coachella is not a place for him (in a hypothetical world where he could bust out of jail to play).
    Boosie Bad Azz is more than welcome to play to a packed audience at the Outdoor same set time as Caifanes
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Could we just get a Timbaland retrospective concert with a ton of guests?

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    1 - I can't really argue with you on that one, though I'd say that the timing on the Madonna booking was a full two decades after she was everyone's beat-off material. 10 years from now, girls may not rub their nubs to Timberlake as much, and we may be able to celebrate him more as an artist. I don't think Madonna would have headlined something like Coachella at the height of her sexual iconography.

2. Comparing Kings of Leon to Justin Timberlake in this situation is stupid as fuck. Kings of Leon aren't teen idols, they're just a popular band who happen to be kinda boring.

3. Comparing Paul McCartney, a member of the Beatles, to Justin Timberlake, a member of N'Sync... once again stupid.

4. I'm sure Jay-Z has his own group of Jigga superfans who put his face on posters, write him creepy fan mail, etc. That group is not as affluent or large as Timberlake's group. A lot of people like Jay Z but won't pay $300 for a fest because he's on it. Rich white girls are a different story, rich white girls at LA private schools are a MUCH different story.
    So, part of your argument hinges on the ticket-buying power of rich white girls not attending LA private schools vs. the ticket-buying power of rich white girls attending LA private schools?

Based on your parameters for #3, no, I wouldn't say it's stupid to compare the two. In fact, if your whole basis for #3 is that Timberlake "doesn't need" to headline Coachella, I'm hard-pressed to find the difference from McCartney, again, in the category you defined.

I don't get it. Cry about dubstep because of "bros," demand less dubstep, say dubstep ruined your Coachella... then ask for Timberlake. Nothing would ruin my Coachella more than shrill shrieks and asking for ID's every time I met a chick worth talking to.

Uh, I never asked for less dubstep, nor did it ruin my Coachella. I think you have me mistaken with someone else. I commented on the atrocity that was Magnetic Man.

I'm also not asking for Justin Timberlake, which you could have ascertained by actually reading the first post, dum dum.

Further, I find it would actually make sense for someone who complained about too many "bros" to also request an act that would bring about more underage girls.

I love bros.

So, part of your argument hinges on the ticket-buying power of rich white girls not attending LA private schools vs. the ticket-buying power of rich white girls attending LA private schools?

Based on your parameters for #3, no, I wouldn't say it's stupid to compare the two. In fact, if your whole basis for #3 is that Timberlake "doesn't need" to headline Coachella, I'm hard-pressed to find the difference from McCartney, again, in the category you defined.
    Yes but I based it all on the grand total of those 4 parameters. That one parameter may work for McCartney but the sum of the parts does not. McCartney was in the Beatles and is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, people that like every form of music can appreciate him. It doesn't work that way for Timberlake.