Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Timberlake: 2012 Headliner

Default Re: Justin Timberlake: 2012 Headliner

So hypothetically, who would be your three headliners, sonicc?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    So, to recap: If an act has a library of material you enjoy, but has a pending album of new material, that act would make for a BAD headliner, because of the chance the new album will be bad. Which, I guess, negates the previous material.
    Looks like someone has a hard-on for JT.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Looks like someone has a hard-on for JT.
    JT, logic, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I have seen JT in concert, he performs a benefit gig for his Shriners every year-my wife is involved with the charity so we go every year. What he does is kind of entertaining, but it isn't my thing. Nice guy though.

BUT...if it comes down to a choice of JT or Kings Of Leon headlining, I'd still take JT.

Ain't nobody love you like I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    I have seen JT in concert, he performs a benefit gig for his Shriners every year
    IN THE TENT:

you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

this could actually be a pretty big get for coachella if this were to kick off his first tour in 5 years
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    this could actually be a pretty big get for coachella if this were to kick off his first tour in 5 years
    Yes but it's stupid of you to suggest that his subsequent tour might be any good. What if it blew chunks? Then what?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

The selection criteria for potential Coachella headliners are so subjective, it intrigues me. Why does Justin Timberlake make sense in my head, while Chris Brown and Usher do not? Why does Kanye West make all the sense in the world, while Lil' Wayne or Eminem would be an absolute mess? I think there are a couple pop acts that would work for Coachella because their music pushes the envelope more so than other pop artists. JT is realllly stretching it for me, but it wouldn't be catastrophic if he did headline and I'd probably really enjoy myself. It would have to be balanced out by somebody more on the Radiohead/The Cure/Tool end of the spectrum however.
    Last edited by travelfan; 04-29-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: My grammar is not always the best

i meant that it's a big get because he hasn't done anything since 2007. as to the quality of the tour, i have no idea if it'd be any good. i just imagine it would be what's expected from him.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Justin Timberlake/Neil Young/Radiohead

his live show is supposedly really fun. he has a good band, dances like crazy, even plays some rhythm guitar.

if his next album is a hit and yields some stuff that translates well live it could make sense

I don't think anybody would care if he played Coachella. I wouldn't see him most likely anyway, but I don't care if he's there. But I think you'd get a huge uproar from these boards if he headlined. Sub-headliner fine, don't make me look at a Coachella poster that has Justin Timberlake at the top.

In fact, let's just go one step further. We all know Coachella gets reunions. Let's get an NSYNC reunion at Coachella next year. Might be more awesome than Rage and Pixies combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    I don't think anybody would care if he played Coachella. I wouldn't see him most likely anyway, but I don't care if he's there. But I think you'd get a huge uproar from these boards if he headlined. Sub-headliner fine, don't make me look at a Coachella poster that has Justin Timberlake at the top.

In fact, let's just go one step further. We all know Coachella gets reunions. Let's get an NSYNC reunion at Coachella next year. Might be more awesome than Rage and Pixies combined.
    if this actually happened i'd have to see it
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I don't support this

What the hell is going on in here...How did this even get close to 2 pages?

So if he headlines, there will actually be threads giving valid reasons as to why he should be there?
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

^it's not support so much, it's just a logical argument for why he could headline
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Actually, a Madonna style Sahara set could be kind of rad because let's be honest, the Sahara is no longer the Sahara anyways. If Rye Rye, Skrillex and Odd Future can do it, I think I could groove to Rock Your Body in there.

what has happened to this message board? that former mickey mouse club and boy band nsync members are thought of as possible headliners and have actual support?
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

It is true that no other headliner has been a member of a bad, ineffectual, or cheesy band before coming into their own as an artist. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Why does Justin Timberlake make sense in my head, while Chris Brown and Usher do not? Why does Kanye West make all the sense in the world, while Lil' Wayne or Eminem would be an absolute mess?
    Great question. Kinda.

I think the thought process goes kind of like this:

First off, one may decide to lump all Top 40-ish, pop-ish R&B in one category of "no artistic integrity." The people doing that aren't going to want to have this conversation at all, and I assume the argument is something like "when you make music like this you aren't talented/creative/challenging enough to be taken seriously, and you would hurt the integrity of Coachella by headlining." I feel like this hypothetical group may still be ok with Jack Johnson headlining in the sense that, at least he's writing his own music, playing an instrument, etc etc.

Now, there's another group that says what I'm calling "pop" for purposes of this discussion can be divided up into a bunch of hierarchies. There's people like Ke$ha who (I assume, but may be totally wrong) are not really doing anything except being handed a sheet of lyrics someone else wrote that they sing (with the help of significant production) over music someone else composed and the final product sounds a lot like what 50 million other people on the radio are doing.

But then you get some acts that for one of a handful of reasons, appear to have more "integrity." Take Timberlake - the argument's there that he's got a great voice, great live 'entertainer,' and arguably makes some of the more interesting/challenging pop music out there (again, I'm saying it's interesting/challenging FOR Top 40, not for the whole universe of music). You've got Kanye, on the other hand, who has been kinda panned for being a weak live performer, but makes fairly interesting hip hop/pop with consistently interesting production (which he's responsible for). Plus, he's got the Pitchfork endorsement.

But then you get into a Chris Brown, for example. Some of the same elements are there - great voice, I guess, except he sounds like a lot of other people. Good dancer, but I'm not convinced the "dancing" alone is what sells Timberlake's live shows. But where he really falls short is the music aspect. Chris Brown hasn't really developed a unique sound - he's fungible with most of the other pop/R&B acts out there (and he certainly doesn't have the body of work of a Timberlake or Kanye).

Usher's the same way, musically - his songs are fairly formulaic with fairly run of the mill production value. I feel like I could hear an Usher song on the radio and be unsure as to who was performing it - on the other hand, nothing sounds like "SexyBack" (which is 99% attributable to Timbaland, but still).

As far as the Eminems and Li'l Waynes of the world go, it gets trickier, because I feel the same way as you, but I'm not sure why. Is it the lack of crossover into "ideal Coachella-goer" audience? Meaning: I have this feeling that a big bulk of the people who go to Coachella because they enjoy a large amount of acts playing at Coachella (rather than just a headliner) probably don't listen to Wayne and Em, but they've probably got Kanye on their iPod. Personally, I think it's because Kanye has consistently put out a better product than those guys, but it may also be because Kanye's sound is more "complex" -- Wayne and Eminem don't have an 808s and Heartbreaks in their discographies (though I guess Wayne did that alternative rock abortion). Li'l Wayne's kind of a Pitchfork darling like Kanye, too -- but, I agree, it's just "different."

I'm not sure this accomplished anything.

mja, hah there is no way I'm quoting that long of a post but I agree completely. Your posts are always thought out (even about Mr. Alien Keytar extravaganza himself). I think you said everything I wanted to say but was too lazy to. I agree with pop, JT has consistently pushed the boundaries (especially production wise) and has always seemingly had his hand in his own creative process, unlike a Rihanna who has pushed the boundaries but has had it all manufactured for her.

The only thing I'd add is that I think with rap it becomes a little more nebulous...I think there is just as much crossover appeal with Eminem as with Kanye, but I feel Eminem is entirely inappropriate for Coachella whereas Kanye made perfect sense. Then I think it comes down to the vibe. It may honestly be just as shallow as "Could Pitchfork endorse this?" as a litmus test. Don't get me wrong, hip-hop/R&B/soul are my favorite genres and I loved GV booking such a wide variety this year, from Nas to Lil' B to Ms. Badu herself. I think it all paid off and there were no complaints about any of those sets (minus Odd Future, but they'll get there). But there is a very fine line between festival appropriate hip-hop and hip-hop that is not...I love me some Lil' Boosie but Coachella is not a place for him (in a hypothetical world where he could bust out of jail to play). Same with the super poppy stuff (Travis Porter, Cat Daddy, whatever) that is fun to dance to but utterly inappropriate for Coachella. Leave that to A-Trak to drop during the closing end of his set.

And for the record, Eminem has been past his prime for some time. And that includes Recovery.

em's prime was the eminem show and it's been downhill ever since
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

em's prime was the eminem show and it's been downhill ever since
    Truf.

Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    what has happened to this message board? that former mickey mouse club and boy band nsync members are thought of as possible headliners and have actual support?
    I don't think anyone's supporting the Mickey Mouse Club or N'Sync as headliners.

em's prime was his self titled and the Marshal Mathers LP and it's been downhill ever since
    There we are.
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Justin Timberlake/Neil Young/Radiohead
    Plausible. More than enjoyable. I like it.

FOUR TET. HOT CHIP. SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO. BOOKA SHADE. LEE SCRATCH PERRY. BEACH HOUSE.

Richie Hawtin. James Blake. Loco Dice.

I would watch the shit out of JT at Coachella.

And Ke-dollarsign-ha writes her own stuff...pretty sure she co-writes with her mom.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

abso-fucking-lutely. 100%.

"FutureSex/LoveSounds" was a massive success but still very underrated and his live shows are so much fucking fun. Jesus christ people, this is eons better than King of Leon or Kanye and the pool of possible headliners (who havent played before) isnt exactly massive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Jay-Z and Kanye were one thing, but I'm sorry - Justin Timberlake is just too black for Coachella.