Thread: Is Lake Eldorado camping worth the money?

Lurker

Default Is Lake Eldorado camping worth the money?

My booyfriend and I are looking at the possibility of camping in a 2 person teepee next year at Lake Eldorado. I am curious to hear about other's past espereinces. Was it worth the money? How was the tempature in the teepee? How were the showers? Are the gorunds spacious? Lake access? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Is Lake Eldorado camping worth the money?

I would suggest not going at all. The best idea is to stay home.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Lurker

lol Terrible advice. Simply terrible.

I dont think anyone who actually does Eldorado camping wastes their time on this forum
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    I dont think anyone who actually does Eldorado camping wastes their time on this forum
    I don't think anybody on this forum wastes their time/money on a teepee.

Those are my thoughts as well, although I would kind of like to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I know of one who does. no, it's not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

I have done it every year it's been available. For the most part, it is absolutely worth it.

PROS:
    - Crowd is older, and tamer, than general camping. It is a really chill, friendly, and relaxed vibe, and cleaner/safer than general camping.
    - Shower wait is 5 minutes at most, often times there is no wait.
    - Setting is gorgeous by the lake. Teepees often open up to it.
    - Toilets are air conditioned.
    - Absurd amount of charging stations.
    - They have great DJs who play chill lakeside sets during the day.

The only con I can think of is that there was only one entrance/exit this year, whereas last year there were at least three. It can also get annoying if you have friends that car camp, because they can't go to your site (security is really tough).

You are essentially paying the same price as a hotel, and yet are under 10 minutes walking distance to the festival, making it really easy to run back to get a beer or jacket or whatever. The amenities are obviously not as great as a hotel, but they are exponentially more comfortable than general camping, and it feels like you are staying "at Coachella" still.

Totally worth it, and you see a lot of repeats every year. Best kept secret about Coachella.
    Last edited by travelfan; 04-27-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Lurker

Thanks so much for the info, TravelFan! Sounds exactly like the experience we're looking for. We initially bought Eldorado for weekend 1 this year but had to sell it as our plans had to move to weekend 2. Was upsetting giving them up and after your pros/cons list there I'm thinking it's def in the cards for 2014.

Thanks!

I did Lake Eldorado both weekends last year. I generally agree with travelfan's list of pros and cons. The pretty much vacant hot showers (especially at night) were a treat, plus you could walk out the back gate right into the food court area looking over the main car camping area in Lot 8. However, WE1 last year was cold and windy as hell, which made the tent thing pretty uncomfortable. WE2 last year then turned out to be a REAL scorcher -- over 100 degrees during the day. That meant it got too fucking hot in the tent by 8am with the sun shining in the tent and already getting too hot. We were in a regular tent, and you could roll up the sides which helped. Those teepees were brutally hot, however -- nasty little sweat boxes. AVOID.

This year decided to get a room at La Quinta through Valley Travel -- 1000 times better experience. The shuttles ran pretty much constantly -- never had to wait more than a few minutes to grab one. The food options were way better too. If I can scrape together the $$$, I'm going shoot for a Safari tent next year.
    Last edited by Peter_Tork; 04-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I have done it every year it's been available. For the most part, it is absolutely worth it.

PROS:
    - Crowd is older, and tamer, than general camping. It is a really chill, friendly, and relaxed vibe, and cleaner/safer than general camping.
    - Shower wait is 5 minutes at most, often times there is no wait.
    - Setting is gorgeous by the lake. Teepees often open up to it.
    - Toilets are air conditioned.
    - Absurd amount of charging stations.
    - They have great DJs who play chill lakeside sets during the day.

The only con I can think of is that there was only one entrance/exit this year, whereas last year there were at least three. It can also get annoying if you have friends that car camp, because they can't go to your site (security is really tough).

You are essentially paying the same price as a hotel, and yet are under 10 minutes walking distance to the festival, making it really easy to run back to get a beer or jacket or whatever. The amenities are obviously not as great as a hotel, but they are exponentially more comfortable than general camping, and it feels like you are staying "at Coachella" still.

Totally worth it, and you see a lot of repeats every year. Best kept secret about Coachella.
    Ay did they put flooring in the tents this year? that was the worst part of El Dorado imo. So dusty. but now that they have floors (it looks like they did), I'm more down.

The tents had floors this year; the tepees did not. However, fire ants would come up through the cracks of the wood flooring. Not too many, but we also didn't have a lot of food sitting around. They did have golf cart people with spray, though.

If you're coming from out of state/country and don't feel like lugging around camping equipment or a car, etc. then Eldorado is certainly worth the money.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Ay did they put flooring in the tents this year? that was the worst part of El Dorado imo. So dusty. but now that they have floors (it looks like they did), I'm more down.
    Wood floors this year! Which was rad.

Yeah that's big. Setting down your stuff on dusty dirt sucked. And sleeping in it sucked even more. I hope they add it to the teepees... I loved my teepee, except for the dust.

Lurker

Flooring sounds necessary! Then again, I might have to look into La Quinta too. Starting to sound pretty good... thanks everyone!

Hi, you mentioned security is tough. Do you just flash them the TeePee Card that you received in the mail or is your wrist band also registered to the teepee? What kind of pass do you show to get to the TeePee?

I purchased the two person teepee. But my friend has extra tickets. So we're wondering if I should just sell mine and let her keep hers.

Quote Originally Posted by AAguilera View Post
    Hi, you mentioned security is tough. Do you just flash them the TeePee Card that you received in the mail or is your wrist band also registered to the teepee? What kind of pass do you show to get to the TeePee?

I purchased the two person teepee. But my friend has extra tickets. So we're wondering if I should just sell mine and let her keep hers.
    Hey man. I'm not staying in El Dorado this year, but have the past three years. In the past, you have to present your driver's license with your wristbands, and they have a printed list of all names that are registered as having tickets. You are then handed the appropriate amount of Eldorado wristbands for your tent type (which were essentially shiny metallic colored cardboard last year, more or less, and paper with a distinct color in 2011 and 2012). Our wristbands were not registered to the Eldorado tent directly, however, you are not allowed to check into your teepee until the person whose name purchased the teepee or tent is there. However, since this year all wristbands are registered, they may do it very differently. So I'd check with Coachella directly instead of asking us.

Im doing weekend 2 teepee. anyone else? whats some good stuff to bring?