Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough Mudder

Default Tough Mudder

So I just found out about this today. Has anyone done this in the past or plan on doing it? I'm going to start training tonight when I get home. I just bought a pack of cigarettes today so when I finish it tonight I'll quit smoking. 12 miles is a long way to run but I'm so down for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

Default Re: Tough Mudder

this is what the florida course is going to look like....oh man live wires at the end is going to kick my ass

http://toughmudder.com/events/florid...11-course-map/
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Holy shit, that looks like fun.

Coachella Junkie

How long a period of time passed between you seeing a Youtube video of people crawling in mud and your decision to quit smoking and start training? Are we looking at 5 minutes? An hour?

Holy shit, that looks like fun.

yeah check out the map the obstacles are fucking crazy

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    How long a period of time passed between you seeing a Youtube video of people crawling in mud and your decision to quit smoking and start training? Are we looking at 5 minutes? An hour?

i would say about 15-20 minutes after i found out some friends have been planning on doing this and I can join their team. I always wanted to quit smoking but never had a reason (besides cancer) to quit. I would quit if a girl I dated hated smokers....but all the girls I sleep with smoke. So this is my reason!!!

Brother did it last year in Northern California. I went and watched and it looked like fun. I'm signed up on his team this year. The rest of the team trains down in LA, I have to train on my own here in San Francisco.

what are you doing to train? I just plan on robbing places and running from cops

just found this one the website

The Tough Mudder Workout consists of 16 exercises that collectively work every part of your body. Some of these can be found in our favorite youtube Tough Mudder training video, shown above, though that one contains some extra crazy exercises as well. You’re a busy person, so each exercise is a 60-second station designed to challenge your heart and lungs as well as your muscles. The final product is a high-intensity circuit designed to torch everything from your chest and legs to your abs and arms, sending your fitness to an elite Tough Mudder level. You’ll sculpt a rugged, gritty, and classically athletic body that’s built Mudder Tough.

Do the Get Fit circuit 3 days a week and perform each exercise once, one right after the other, and spend no more than a minute on each one. Do as many reps as you can in that time, then move on to the next station, limiting yourself to 15 seconds of rest in between. Build your endurance to the point where you can comfortably do the circuit twice in one week before Tough Mudder. Make sure to use a weight that’s challenging for the 20 or so reps you’ll be doing for each exercise.

You can use dumbbells, kettlebells, or anything heavy with a handle for most if not all of the exercises below.

EXERCISE 1
    Running Man

To get yourself in peak cardio condition, you can either:

1) Get on a treadmill. Start jogging at a slow comfortable pace for the first 5 minutes, then increase the speed to a full sprint for a full minute before reducing the speed back down to a jog for a minute or two. Alternate speeds every minute between jogging and sprinting for 35 minutes.
    2) Free run. As you head outside for a jog, choose a point or landmark in the distance that’s reasonably far and sprint to it. Do this 10 or so times throughout the course of your run, paying attention to mixing in jogging and sprinting equally.

Related Obstacle: The Braveheart Challenge

EXERCISE 2
    TM PUSH-UP

Start out in a regular pushup position, arms straight, with two dumb bells in each hand. As you push your body upwards, rotate slightly at peak height and bring one hand up behind you so that your hands are in a vertical line.

Related Obstacle: Boa Constrictor

EXERCISE 3
    THE FIST AND THE FURY

Grab a dumbbell, kettlebell, or anything heavy with a handle, and let it hang in front of you. Lower the weight below your hips and let it swing between your knees and legs. Try to keep your core sturdy and straight, explode upwards and swing the weight up to about eyelevel in a fully upright position. With control, do this as many times as you can, spending about 45 seconds on each arm.

Related Obstacle: Berlin Walls

EXERCISE 4
    SCISSOR KICK

From a regular standing position, take one big step forward and lower yourself into a forward stepping lunge. This is the start position – jump and explode off the ground, getting enough air under you to scissor kick your legs and land with your opposite leg forward and ready to crouch down to the lunge position. Keep doing this, alternating your legs on each jump/repetition for 60 seconds.

Related Obstacle: Fire Walker

EXERCISE 5
    BACK ROW

Grab a pair of dumbbells or kettlebells, hold them in front, and bend over, keeping your back perfectly parallel to the ground with your weights hanging below you at each side. Keep your core steady and begin to pull the weights in a controlled manner up to your chest, hold at the top fo the rep, pause, and repeat.

Related Obstacle: Hold Your Wood

EXERCISE 6
    DUMBBELL SIDE LUNGE
    Grab your dumbbells and let them hang by your sides. Take a lateral step, stretching your leg all the way to your right, bend forward at your hips, and touch the dumbbells to the floor of the foot at finish position of your lunge.

Related Obstacle: Swamp Stomp

EXERCISE 7
    PUSH UP + ROW

Grab some dumbbells and assume a pushup position, with your arms straight. Perform a regular pushup, but as you fully extend your arms at the height of the push up, take one dumbbell and bring it all the way to the side of your torso. Lower your arm and descend back ot the start position. Repeat with the other arm. That’s one rep.

Related Obstacle: Devil’s Beard

EXERCISE 8
    LUNGE + TWIST

Grab a heavy object and clutch it tight to the middle of your chest as you stand with feet shoulder length apart. Take a step forward as you would with a normal lunge, but as you lower your body with weight in hand, twist your torso to the right, pause, and return to a full upright position. Do the same with the opposite leg. That’s one rep.

Related Obstacle: Sweati Yeti

EXERCISE 9
    SHOULDER PRESS

Grab some dumbbells or small kettlebells in each hand and spread your feet shoulder length apart as you would for a squat. Bring the dumbbells up to your shoulders as if you were doing a shoulder press. Lower yourself as you keep the weights cocked at the shoulder, as you explode upward from the squat position, push the weights up and above your head.

Related Obstacle: Cliffhanger

EXERCISE 10
    DECLINE PUSH UP

Simple, quick, and easy. Get into a normal pushup position, but put your feet on top of an elevated park bench or box, arms extended out in front of you so that your body is perfectly parallel to the floor above the ground. Begin to do as many pushups as you can in the next 60 seconds.

Related Obstacle: Kiss of Mud

EXERCISE 11
    Quick Feet

Staying in the pushup position, rapidly bring each knee towards your chest, as if you were sprinting in place or pedaling a ridiculously small bike.

Related Obstacle: The Bastard

EXERCISE 12
    Tough Chin Up

Just like your old man used to do, hang from a bar with either an overhand or underhand grip and pull yourself up – be sure to try and touch your chest to the bar, or get as close as you can. This will get progressively harder as the set wears on. Remember to do as many as you can for the full 60 seconds. Even if you have to take a slight break, be sure to finish the set.

Related Obstacle: Underwater Tunnels

EXERCISE 13
    Superman Plank

Get back into the pushup position you’ve grown accustomed to, placing your forearms on the ground and keeping your core – abs and hips – tight as possible. Hold this position for a full 60 seconds.

Related Obstacle: Greased Lightening

EXERCISE 14
    Drunk Superman Side Planks

Get on your side and hold yourself up by left forearm, creating a half triangle between your lats, forearm, and ground. Like a regular plank, keep your core tight – flex if you have to – and hold the position for 60 seconds, then alternate with your right side and repeat for another 60.

Related Obstacle – Walk the Plank

EXERCISE 15
    Angelina Jolie
    Get in between two chairs, bars, or if at a gym, a dip machine. Grab each bar or handle with each arm and lower yourself slowly and with control, as you push up with your arms try to explode up, lifting yourself completely off. Be sure to start out slow until you get used to jumping off and regaining control fo the bars.

Related Obstacle: Ball Shrinker

EXERCISE 16
    THE TOUGH SQUAT

Take a dumbbell, kettlebell, or large stone, anything you can find, hold it in front of your chest, stick your hips out behind you, bend the knees, and lower yourself until you’re in a full squat position, take a second and then push yourself back to the start position.

Related Obstacle: Death March

I'm sure that I would die doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I almost died just reading about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

A guy I work with just did one in North Georgia around a month ago. He said he would NEVER do it again. He didn't have a problem with the physical aspect but towards the end he had to run through live electrical wires that would almost knock him out when he touched them. There were guys laying in the mud unconscious.

It wasn't enjoyable for him. Apparently others enjoy it though because these races are a big hit right now. There's plenty of other obstacle course races that sound a little more fun loving..

Can't you just go on wipeout so the rest of us can at least laugh at you?

Some of my buddies want me to do this with them next month in Cali. I really don't think that a month of training is enough. I already do the "running man" every morning. Except I run @ 7mi per hour for 40 mins with sprint intervals every 5 minutes @ 8.5. I've also been working out but this looks really intense. I think that I might wiat until the next one in Phoenix.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

but he would get paid to go on Wipeout.

I really want to do Wipeout.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    but he would get paid to go on Wipeout.
    Wipeout looks funner too.

Also, MXC.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Wipeout isn't even comparable.

I just ordered a set of dumbbells online. So I'm giving myself two weeks of just normal working out at the gym I have in my community. I have 11 cigarettes left from the pack I bought today so once those are gone I'm done smoking cigarettes. Next week I'm going to GNC with this guy in my office building that gets 20% off next week. I'm going to buy a thing of weight gainer mix and beef myself up. Hell I might even cut my hair so it doesn't hold me down during this. Oh man this is going to be fun

the girls walking through are awesome!! i figure i would just run like the guy at 1:20

Cut Cigarettes, weekday drinking, soda, and cutting back on my weekend activities so I can get to the gym Monday and Tuesday. Its Spring/Summer too so I'll be riding my bike everywhere.

Besides that my normal workout routine which is training for Half Ironman Distance Triathlons. I've added in light weight training, Pilates and Yoga.

If I wasn't dead by the live wires, I'd probably run into the thick of them, twirl around and tangle myself, scream bloody murder, and pass out.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I want to send my mother through the wires with a tape recorder in her pocket and see if she says anything culturally insensitive about Germans. I've always suspected.

hahahahhaha

I know who's gonna have a victory cig at the finish line!
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

I think my brother and I are going to do the Northern CA date...looks like a blast and it's for a great cause.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    I know who's gonna have a victory cig at the finish line!
    going 7 months without a cigarette I don't think I'll have one. I might help myself to some other vice but we will see about that

just read this review from a guy that did this in November....holy shit this gets me scared and excited

Have you heard about the Tough Mudder? It's not a race. It's held over various distances in different cities across the US. I participated in the one held this past weekend, having never done anything like this before, and had trained since the summer. Here's the good, the bad, and the very, very ugly about Tough Mudder.

Summary: participate in a TM that matches your level of fitness if you want a challenge unlike any you've ever had before. You'l need to be strong, tough, and ready to help and be helped along the way. Leave your iPod, your PR quest, and your attitude at home.

My Training: I considered myself to be in good shape for this event. I didin't think of myself as a runner, so I had trained for, and run, the Patrick Henry Half back in August. You can read about what I did to train here (scroll down about half the page). I'm 44, 160, and not especially graceful.

Event Organization: be prepared to pay an arm and a leg, and for somewhat chaotic and occasionally contradictory communications from the organizers. Even spectators must buy tickets and everything has a service charge.

Race Day: the venue was well-chosen, a race track in northern New Jersey. It was easy to travel to, there were a lot of lodging options, and parking was ample (and, surprisingly, free). I was in the first group of the day, starting at 10:00. Registration meant long lines. Some participants had not filled out their waivers, meaning longer lines for them. The weather was clear, cold and breezy. Temp was 41 at 8:30am and forecast for a high of I think 47 or so.

Okay, Enough About That...What About the Race...? check out the course map, here. This tells you what we're in for. Also note the distance, 12 miles. Not 3 or 5 or 9. Skip this event if you can't tough it out through freezing cold, climbing, slogging through a lot of mud, running in extremely slippery conditions, fire, choking smoke, crawling through confined spaces, swimming underwater, and more. Here's a few notes and advice on some of the obstacles, should you want to know what to expect. After this section I'll offer opinions on how you can train to do one of these yourself.

As a preliminary note, despite concerns about wait times at the obstacles, I never waited--not even once. Part of that might have been due to positioning--I was in the first group and stayed near the front the whole time--but it looked like the groups were sized well. And there were times when I was running alone or with only a couple people in sight.

OK, the first thing to understand is that you are doing this entire course wet. You won't get dry, ever. Even the rope walk obstacle was made more difficult for us becaus we'd been thoroughly soaked to the waist just prior. I couldn't really feel my feet while doing it; they were freezing and my shoes and socks were soaked through. The rope walk, like the spiderweb, requires you to be strong and balanced enough to hold on and keep going while others are making your ropes swing and sway wildly. If you can't, you'll fall off.

Walking the plank and the 15' drop into the freezing cold water: just, wow. Plunging into that water was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I've led a pretty adventurous life. It was intensely cold, a cold that makes every part of your body contract and scream to shut down. Right there is when everyone around you starts using the F-word as every part of speech imaginable. Swimming/trying to walk across that pond in 45 degrees is awful, just awful. And the barrel obstacle at the end is even worse.

You can go around it to either side. You can simply avoid it. But to really do the TM, you force yourself to submerge and go under the barrels. Three times. Under the muddy, icy water.

The mud mile (not really a mile) and cliffhanger obstacles are where you may well need help. Most of the running you do here, you'll do in deep, slippery mud. Don't be shy about accepting help...and, here's a hint--it's a very satisfying feeling to extend a hand to someone who's struggling up a hill, and to help pull them up. It just feels good. Try it.

The Berlin walls are four 10' walls. You need upper body strength to get over them. Again, you could just go around...The boa constrictor is harder than it looks because the tunnels are smaller and they're lined with rocks and mud. Honestly this obstacle was the only reason I was glad I wore a shirt. My forearms got scraped up getting through. Also--we had to do it twice.

For the next several obstacles, I'll say: there is no comfortable way to run while carrying a tire; don't come if you can't handle about 30 seconds of fire and thick smoke; and the Devil's beard is much easier when done as a pair.

Then there was a lot of trail running and a few logs to get over or under. This was an almost serene part of the day...except for the unexpected waist-deep, steep, muddy-sided, water-filled trench. Honestly--you cannot hope to be dry for any part of this event.

I had epxected to do just fine on the monkey bars. Instead, this was my worst obstacle. I can do a lot of pullups, but I was pretty tired by that point. Those damn gloves removed any hope I had of traction on the smooth metal and I went straight into the water after about three rungs--pathetic! Immediately following was a plank obstacle, about 4" wide at most for about 25' or 30'. Sound easy? Not when you can barely feel your feet...and if you could, you'd realize that your shoes are full of little rocks and you probably twisted your ankle back in th slime somewhere. I fell off after a few steps (splash!), swam back, hauled myself out, tried again, fell off again. Swam to the other side and slogged on.

Anecdotally, one of the volunteers told a guy and me (Hi, Pat from Rutgers!) that out of the 50 or so people she'd seen come through so far, only 4 had made it across the monkey bars. Pat and I watched some very buff guys simply fail at the thing. That's a really hard obstacle at that point in the event.

The rest is running--sheer, dogged endurance. Our last obstacle was a nasty little device: a framework about 15' long with a forest of hanging wires that delivered electric shocks as we went through. It was pretty awful. On the final run I saw some guy trying to low crawl through the mud to avoid the wires...not a good idea. You can run a lot faster than you can crawl.

Finish and After the Event: have your spectator friends bring food, because all that was available was racetrack crap: burgers and hot dogs, and not good ones at that. There was also free Muscle Milk, which I don't like unfortunately. Firefighters are standing by to hose you off with nice cold water (remember, 45 degrees) but space blankets are plentiful. Bring a towel and dry clothes and for chrissakes change as quick as you can. Offer to help the guys puking in the men's room.

Gear: for this event, at this time of year, it truly doesn't matter what you wear. Nothing would've kept me dry and warm. Steel yourself and get through it; it's only a few hours. Plenty of dudes ran in just shorts, an option I'd seriously considered. Think twice about whether you really need gloves to protect your hands; I would've done better without. As for hats, swim caps, goggles, sunglasses, hydration packs...sure, bring them, along with your bunny slippers, leg warmers, and moisturizer. It'll give the other participants a good laugh.

Footgear: I saw several participants in Vibram Five Fingers. I had done some training in them and had been considering them for myself. If you're a practiced barefoot runner, I think you'd do fine. In bare feet or VFFs, be sure to consider the distance of the TM you choose. If this had been half the distance, I would've VFF'd it too, but I can't run in VFFs for 12 miles. Bare feet or VFFs would be a very real benefit in the mud.

Your Training: simple, though not easy. My advice: run hills. A lot of hills, steep hills. Run hills up to the length of your chosen TM event once a week. The majority of your time is spent running. Also, alternate the rest of your runs with good old pushups and pullups. The more of these you can do, the better. Practice running hills for a mile, doing sets of pullups and pushups to exhaustion or something, and repeating. Throw in a day or two of free weights, kettlebells or something. A few of the people I spoke to had never run 12 miles before--not a good idea. And: run in the rain at least a few times. Depending on the time of year of your chosen TM, run in the cold. Run cold and wet a few times. It's a confidence builder.

Go You! You'll do fine as long as you don't get intimidated easily. Feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck, train well, don't whine about your PR (which is meaningless anyway for this event since no two are alike), don't be a prima donna, help your buddy...and have fun
    edit: http://www.runnersworld.com/communit...omplete-review
    Last edited by caco0283; 04-29-2011 at 11:34 AM.

(i'm drunk)................ In my experience, you'd be better served to cut back on the advertisement that you're quitting smoking and just fucking give it a shot. Nobody here is going to hold you accountable. Just do it and brag about it later (because it is worth braggin about, for real).

Wow, i think i want to try this but im not sure i could get myself to train properly for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

stepup2stepout

I used to be a cross country/long distance track runner (4:35 mile in high school). I've had the TM bookmarked for years and I want to do it this year, but I havent put in any real training in months. Damn, I'm almost tempted to do this at my present training level+any training I could put in before the event, but I don't know if I would survive or not.

So today was my 2nd day at the gym this week. Oh man I'm hurting...weight training is kicking my ass. I rode the stupid bike machine for about 4 miles and then tried to run for about 2 miles...yeah I'm not feeling so great...this is going to be a long 7 months of training. I hope I can do this