Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Filter's Culture Collide Festival 2011

Default Re: Filter's Culture Collide Festival 2011

I also really liked Paula i Karol, Rainbow Arabia, The Analog Girl, Black Box Revelation, Liam Finn, Yacht and Electra. The Block Party might have had the weakest lineup or maybe I was just too burned out.

I survived Yacht only because I was able to slip away to less crowded venue when Morning After Girls started sucking so bad and get in a quick power nap then just barely make it back in in time for their set.

Yeah, they had a super long wait, but they did still play a full set. It was a late night, but definitely fun. I danced.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by blazin View Post
    Never been good at winning money, but I swear I've won tickets to 30 or 40 shows this year. No kidding. I think maybe I will try my luck with the lotto again. I always tell my friends re: twitter and other methods of winning tickets
    "you can't win if you don't play" and I guess the same holds true for gambling! However, it costs nothing to retweet a message or fill out an online form.
    It's true, you can't win if you don't play.

Just do the lotto replay, you enter your friend's dead scratchers for a chance to win $1,000.

I had fun at the block party. It was interesting all the people that ran for the exit during Gang Gang Dance.

And there were so many drunk homeless guys and other weirdos harassing the women.

The vocals going out during Asteroid Galaxy and Datarock was annoying but it was cool that Datarock brought out Gerald Casale (of Devo) for one song. I think that was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    It's true, you can't win if you don't play.
    Just do the lotto replay, you enter your friend's dead scratchers for a chance to win $1,000.
    I used to play scratchers and then Replay with the losers, but eventually realized I was losing money so I gave up.
    However, after winning a Dickie's jacket and a SONOS Play:3 wireless speaker at Culture Collide (and all the aforementioned tickets,) I decided to buy a SuperLotto ticket on Sunday. I'll see if my luck has changed this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    I had fun at the block party. It was interesting all the people that ran for the exit during Gang Gang Dance.

And there were so many drunk homeless guys and other weirdos harassing the women.

The vocals going out during Asteroid Galaxy and Datarock was annoying but it was cool that Datarock brought out Gerald Casale (of Devo) for one song. I think that was him.
    Agreed on all counts. It also seemed that there were a disproportionate number of extremely chatty, pushy rude fucks left over for Gang Gang Dance once the masses fled the festival. I guess that's always going to be an issue at free shows, particularly ones with such diverse lineups, but it was nevertheless quite annoying. We were reasonably close to the stage but were completely surrounded by people who felt it was ok to have mundane conversations at full speaking volume (if not shouting over the music) even (especially?) during the more sedate parts of the set.

Oh well. Overall a really fun, exhausting week full of good to great moments of live music (and lots of free stuff.) CSS & YACHT @ Echoplex were predictably two of my favorite sets. Incan Abraham (locals?), For A Minor Reflection (Iceland), and Guineafowl (Australia) were a couple of my personal discoveries that I really enjoyed.

Most overrated - You Say France & I Whistle.
    Biggest letdown? Rainbow Arabia.
    Neither were outright terrible, but both came off as pretty gimmicky to me.

Who else caught Descartes A Kant? Wildly entertaining performance, though my boyfriend fled to the seats in the far back due to the intensity of the volume. I loved every second of it!

and yeah, that was Jerry Casale. Definitely a cool moment. Hopefully next year this festival will use the momentum it's gained to inspire more collaborations and guest appearances like that. I think that particular appearance was just a coincidence, I believe they said he was directing the video they shot that day.

Where did you win the Dickies jacket and the speakers? I only entered the contest that Toyota, the Luckman and Playstation had. I guess I wasn't looking close enough.

I saw lots of great stuff through the festival but honesty a lot of it was a blur.

I never found the VIP area for wristband holders.

And yes, there were lots of people talking super loud about really boring stuff. At least if you are going to interrupt my music, say something mildly interesting.

Honestly Rainbow Arabia sounded like the band Missing Persons on Valium to me.

2013 lineup is fucking rad

Phoenix*, Dinosaur Jr.*, Liars, The Raveonettes, Miami Horror, King Khan & the Shrines, Iceage, The Men, Rob Crow (Acoustic), Medicine, Alice Russell, No Joy, Plastic Plates, Mumiy Troll, The Great Wilderness, SiMoN, StereonoiZ, Iza Lach, Prāta Vētra, Chateau Marmont, Maya Vik, Funeral Suits, Mujuice, Hell Shovel, Wooster, Instrumenti, DENA, PanSTARRS, Okta Logue

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

There's a reason for those asterisks...Phoenix and Dino Jr are not really a part of the festival itself.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I think a number of people* will buy wristbands thinking $20 is gonna get them Phoenix and Dinosaur Jr.

I won't bother with the kick-off show. But I enjoy this fest quite a bit. I like what I see so far and they'll add plenty.

*stupid people
    Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 Fuck I'm Old Now.

Interesting never really cared for phoenix but the rest of the lineup is very nice

Lots of new adds...this is looking like a "must-attend" now!

last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Yeah, this is shaping up to be a great year for this fest. Makes me glad I got my early bird ticket for $20 - I'd have paid that just for the Iceage/The Men Echo show.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

The schedule is up!

I'll just post the link as the jpegs are really small, but they have a nice big pdf of everything

http://culturecollide.com/index.php/schedule/

Unfortunately I'll likely have to completely miss Iceage and The Men unless work schedule changes. i might ttry to catch No Joy on my way home. Otherwise, i'm gonna try and leave early on Friday and do the happy hours and the whole night, as well as all day Saturday. lots of bands I've never heard of, so it should be fun!
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 09-24-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    last.fm

whiney pain in butt

I'm still doing a giveaway for tix. Sign up until the 30th - http://www.thenationocean.com/2013/0...e-tickets.html

see ya there

Give them to me, I'm poor right now!

And yes, I already entered.
    last.fm

whiney pain in butt

Brandon Asher and Laura Witzig COME ON DOWN!!

You won a ticket for yourself and a friend.

~nation ocean

Got the email. Thank you! really stoked for this!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

I am now going to be there all 3 days. Will probably get there for the second happy hour at Taix on Thursday, 4pm on Friday, and will be in the area for lunch of Saturday
    last.fm

So I have a question about Saturday night. I RSVP'd for the Raveonettes through Red Bull Sound Select for free, what I'm unclear on is if I need a wristband as well. Is it separate? I'd hate to drive out there and I don't get let in and I have to pay 30 bucks just to see one band.

Who else is going to this BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    So I have a question about Saturday night. I RSVP'd for the Raveonettes through Red Bull Sound Select for free, what I'm unclear on is if I need a wristband as well. Is it separate? I'd hate to drive out there and I don't get let in and I have to pay 30 bucks just to see one band.

Who else is going to this BTW?
    Those Red Bull shows are either free or $3. It looks like you lucked out!

IF YOU HAVE A TICKET TO FILTER'S CULTURE COLLIDE FESTIVAL YOU CAN GET INTO THIS EVENT. SPECIAL ENTRY, SURPRISES, WITH RSVP.
    http://www.redbullsoundselect.com/ev...ollide-night-2

ps Don't miss Liars! New "new" songs they've been playing are seriously some of their best songs

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Ok thank you, I just wanted clarification. I was not sure for whatever reason.

I think I missed something, where's the block party?

No Block party this year. It's three days, and it's the regular format for all three days. It's better this way, the block party was usually full of idiots there because it was a free show. NOT FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post

ps Don't miss Liars! New "new" songs they've been playing are seriously some of their best songs
    Very happy to hear this!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

What are you guys seeing after Medicine/Bleached but before Fuck Buttons on Friday night?

I have no idea, I'll just be bouncing around I think. I've done no research
    last.fm

I really want to go to this but I'm off work at 7pm today and 5pm tomorrow. Probably a 1.5 hr drive from Ventura : /

Is there somewhere to buy a wristband at the fest if I decide to go?

7/16 The Field - Echoplex
    8/4 Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    8/9 Warpaint - Observatory
    8/10 Macca - Dodger Stadium
    8/20 Fucked Up - The Garage
    8/22 NIN - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    9/11 Swans - Roxy
    9/30 King Crimson - Orpheum Theatre
    10/31 QOTSA - Forum

Yes, I confirmed with The Echo on facebook. You can buy wristbands at Taix. The commute sucks, but lots of good stuff going on late if you can make it!
    last.fm

Yesterday was so much fucking fun!

This festival is extremely well run with lots of stuff to do, neat giveaways, and the overall feeling like you're part of something specia. It feel less like a regular music festival and more like some some kind of conference, which in part helps keep the crowd really motivated and interested in the music. i'd expect such a cheap event to be filled with talkative assholes, but on the contrary, the crowd is generally super attentive and enthusiastic about the music. There's a definite feeling that it seems like everybody think they're getting in on the ground floor of something special, like they're seeing acts right before they're about to blow up. but that's okay when it translates to extremely happy and positive crowds for people that are performing in the US for the first time, often really young and nervous.

The only major downside so far is that Taix is not really a music venue. The two rooms being used simply are not built for being packed to brim with people watching a rock show. The site lines are not the best, and there were a lot of technical problems, and the staff at the restaurant ( surprisingly is still operating and serving food to normal clientele despite hundreds of crazy drunk people running around) doesn't really know how to deal with everything going on. BUT, all this said, the sound in both rooms is generally good, as are the performances, and the overall vibe has been really great. I'll be really curious to see how the outdoor stage works out this afternoon.

And also, the Echo still manages to run 20-30 minutes behind schedule, even when their stage is among many in a huge time table.

ANYWAY

I got to Taix right about 5pm with plenty of time in the Latvia happy hour to drink 3 free 16 oz Tiger beers (not sure why a beer from Singapore was the giveaway, and it's pretty gross, but whatevs) as well as some Latvian liquor that had kind of a coffee finish to it. Enjoyed a set by Prata Verta, who sound to me, if this makes any sense, like a mix between Architecture in Helsinki and Patrick Wolf. They put on a very energetic set. Next up was the Israel happy hour, which provided free a another pretty gross beer, a really malty "dark lager" called Gold Star. The next act was an Israeli female rapper named Adi Ulmansky, who looks a little bit like and sounds excatly like, vocals, beats and all, Yo-Landi from Die Antwoord.

After grabbing some pizza from Two Boots to soak up all the free beer, it was still two early to get into the Echo so went back to the champagne room at Taix. This is where we discovered the schedule is the books they're giving away is not up to date SO MAKE SURE YOU PRINt OUT THE PDF FROM THE SITE for the most updated schedule. Ended up catching about 20 minutes of The Novocaines from Australia. They're kind of like a stoner rock/hardcore punk hybrid - fast drums with screamy, throaty vocals but with pretty sludgy guitars and they all have a lot of hair. Really cool stuff.

Next headed to the Echo and started with GRMLN, a fucking awesome OC punk-influenced rock band front by a Japanese dude. Next up were The Men, who were amazing as always. Only a 30 minute set, but they really manage to cover all the bases in that time. You get a really good idea of all the types of music they do from country to screamy punk to even a crazy 10 minute psychedelic trip. Then came Iceage, who I've been wanting to see for quite some time, and they really didn't disappoint. To top of everything, the event and Converse commissioned a really fucking awesome Iceage print that they gave away to everybody. I really have no problems with corporate-sponsored events if they're going to be cheap, be run well, have great talent, and give away free stuff.

Headed back to the front room at Taix to see Iza, a really wonderful singer from Poland. The sound check took a billion years, but when she finally came on it was quite glorious. On record, her stuff is kind downtempo, trip hop influenced, but her live band is much more jazz-influenced. her voice is kind of a combination of Bjork and Robyn. I highly recommend her stuff and she's fantastic live.

Finally I moved back to the Champagne room for No Joy, a fucking awesome shoegazer band from who put out a great LP not long ago. I was surprised to see both guitar players were females with super long blond hair, and they rocked really hard.

All in all, an amazing 7 hours of music. Can't wait to do it again today!
    last.fm

I'm glad the festival is being ran well! I was not able to make it last night since I got out close to 8pm and was exhausted. I'm definitely going tonight and hopefully can catch Medicine, Bleached, Keaton Henson, Kid Karate & Fuck Buttons.

btw, great review drinkey.

7/16 The Field - Echoplex
    8/4 Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    8/9 Warpaint - Observatory
    8/10 Macca - Dodger Stadium
    8/20 Fucked Up - The Garage
    8/22 NIN - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    9/11 Swans - Roxy
    9/30 King Crimson - Orpheum Theatre
    10/31 QOTSA - Forum