Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Filter's Culture Collide Festival 2011

Default Filter's Culture Collide Festival 2011

Countries will converge
    ...again.

...appearing at venues TBA.

A limited number of $20 wristbands are available, which grant entry into all shows (pending capacity) throughout the Culture Collide Festival.

Artists scheduled to appear include:

CSS
    Lindstrom
    Rainbow Arabia
    Liam Finn
    ...and many more!

For complete details, please visit culturecollide.com.
    Tickets on sale May 06 at 10 AM:

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...atthescenestar

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Filter's Culture Collide Festival 2011

Hooray! Last year was so much fucking fun!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Lindstrom! Gasp. I hope this means he'll stop by SF on his way down.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I bet. Ahhh it feels good to finally be able to plan for 21+ shows.

It's a day longer this year too. Sweet.
    Last edited by ficklecycle; 04-26-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    I bet. Ahhh it feels good to finally be able to plan for 21+ shows.
    Oh man, yeah. Last year was so well organized! The country-specific happy hours with free booze and acoustic performances in the afternoon at Taix were such a good kickstarter, tons of great food trucks, and bouncing between the Echo & Echoplex all night with no break between bands was just amazing. My girlfriend and i discovered so many great bands we had never heard of before. What a fucking deal for $20! We didn't even end up going to the block party on Sunday, too tired from the 3 days prior
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I have to be honest with you Andrew, all I saw was "free booze" and I was happy.

Seriously though, they had a great line up last year. I was really bummed about missing it all. I'll definitely be getting my ticket next weekend.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I'm in!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

im in. just bought my 20 dollar ticket. didnt think it would work but it did. suhweet

Just got mine too.

For anyone that didn't catch it yet, the tickets are already on sale. They've been up since late last night but still some available.

$20 for five days worth of music is just too good to pass up; tickets procured!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

$20 for this festival is a steal. Might have to come down from the bay area for it.

1 more year and I will be able to join all of this 21+ craziness.
    Friday Lou Reed, Modest Mouse,Beach House,Infected Mushroom, Johnny Marr,Wolfgang Gartner, Four Tet, TNGT, Earl Sweatshirt, Lee Scratch Perry, Dam Funk

Saturday
    the XX, New Order, Knife Party, Violent Femmes, SMD, Major LAzer, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Booka Shade, Bingo Players, Pusha T, Trash Talk

Sunday
    RHCP, Nick Cave, Vampire Weekend, Social D, Wu Tang,Eric Prydz, Lumineers, James Blake, Grimes, Raider Klan, Roni Size, Smith Westerns

"Big announcement coming next week..."

From Filter's twitter.

It's out

LOS ANGELES, CA - CSS (Brazil), LindstrÝm (Norway), Liam Finn (New Zealand), Isobel Campbell (Scotland), Buck 65 (Canada), Jason Falkner (US), Rainbow Arabia (US), and Young Liars (CA) are among the first acts to be confirmed for FILTER Magazine's second annual Culture Collide Festival in Los Angeles, CA October 6 - 9, 2011. Also confirmed are He's My Brother/She's My Sister (US), Spain (US), Snowblink (Canada), Handshakes (US), The Yellow Dogs (Iran), Martin Clancy & The Witness Protection Programme (Ireland), Indigo Tree (Poland), BrainStorm (Latvia), My bubba & Mi (Denmark), Ginga (Austria), Kassette (Switzerland), Please the Trees (Czech Republic), Paula i Karol (Poland), The Awkwards (Switzerland) and Disco Doom (Switzerland).

Presuamably, there are many more artists to come, including a few more recognizable names. Last year there were around 55 bands, including Klaxons, Tokyo Police Club, Black Lips, White Lies, Casiokids, Besnard Lakes, Fran Healy (Travis), Monotonix...
    There are only 21 listed so far for this year, and I bet Filter plans to outdo themselves the second time around (hopefully!!) Time will tell!

In any case, $20 is a STEAL for this event. They are still at that price now. I don't recall the price ever going up last time, though it may sell out eventually.

The block party on Sunday last year was free, though, and there was plenty of good music there alone.
    http://www.songkick.com/festivals/13...ock-party-2010

I got the weirdest email from the ticketing service, it said, "Update regarding your Culture Collide Festival 2010 event".

The update was that 2011 tickets were available.

Very strange alert to send.

It's so tempting to go down to LA for this. But I'm on vacation until Tuesday of that week, and I don't think work would go for me just going right back on vacation. Lindstrom better come to SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    I got the weirdest email from the ticketing service, it said, "Update regarding your Culture Collide Festival 2010 event".

The update was that 2011 tickets were available.

Very strange alert to send.
    TICKETWEB ALWAYS DOES THIS. THEY DO THE SAME FOR FYF FEST AS WELL.

woops, capslock. Too busy to fix
    last.fm

Lots more adds this morning, along with the already confirmed Gang Gang Dance!

LOS ANGELES, CA (June 28, 2011) - Twenty new artists have been added to the lineup for FILTER Magazine's second annual Culture Collide Festival in Los Angeles, CA October 6 - 9, 2011. Newly confirmed acts include Gang Gang Dance (USA), Datarock (Norway), The Asteroids Galaxy Tour (Denmark), Do Make Say Think (Canada), MEN (USA), Ximena Sarinana (Mexica), De Staat (the Netherlands), Chico Mann (USA), The Tender Box (USA), Suave As Hell (Mexico), The Death Letters (the Netherlands), Electra (Israel), Descartes A Kant (Mexico), Da Punto Beat (Mexico), Guineafowl (Australia), Black Box Revelation (Belgium), Los Hollywood (USA), Bodi Bill (Germany), Hundreds (Germany), Hedgehog (China) and For A Minor Reflection (Iceland). These bands will be performing alongside the previously announced CSS, LindstrÝm, Liam Finn, Isobel Campbell, Buck 65, Jason Falkner, and many other bands from 23 participating countries.
    last.fm

What does the day by day break down usually look like? (Meaning, how many of the acts will end up being on Weds/Thurs rather than on the weekend?)

This is the second year, but last year it was like this:

Regular fest from Thurs-Sat, split between 5 venues, about 5 bands per venue. So about 25 bands a night, but that also included some repeat performances at different venues, and doers not include the special acoustic performances done at the country-specific happy hours each day (which were all repeat performances by bands that later played electric). The regular festival was really laid out like a conference, there were tons of performances and things happening each day starting from 2pm and going on until 2am pretty much.

Then came Sunday, which was the all day outdoor block party. i didn't make it to this because I was destroyed from the previous three days, but it had 3 stages I think and around 30 bands, probably 10 of which had already played ea
    rlier in the fest.

EDIT: I doubt much will be happening on Wednesday, that's on the top of the festival site but isn't mentioned anywhere else - it's probably the pre-party. last year they had pre-party on top of the Standard Hotel for early ticket buyers and press, and had performances from like 1 band and 1 DJ i think. i ended up not going.

Also, the site says that there were 54 bands last year, so there were a lot more repeat performances than i thought there were.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-28-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    last.fm

Good grief, that sounds complicated. Well, complicated for people who don't live in LA and don't want to take half a week off work. I'm thinking of doing this if Lindstrom doesn't announce a SF date really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    What does the day by day break down usually look like? (Meaning, how many of the acts will end up being on Weds/Thurs rather than on the weekend?)
    Last year's schedule is still up on the site:
    http://culturecollide.com/index.php/schedule/

View a MUCH larger PDF version here:
    http://culturecollide.com/images/upl...ScheduleSM.pdf

Oct 7th - USA Los Angeles, Echoplex (Filter Culture Collide Festival)

Oct 9th - USA Los Angeles, Block Party (Filter Culture Collide Festival)

Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Artists joining our already scheduled talent will be Does It Offend You, Yeah?, Avi Buffalo, The Elected, The Morning After Girls, The Gift, Midnight Surfer, Laura Jansen, Hands, The Lanskies, Carina Round, Cosmic Kids, Sparkadia, Holger, Bixel Boys, You Say France & I Whistle, Trocpicool, Da Brasillians, Hypernova, and Surf Ambassador Hendo.

This year, Culture Collide will be held in multiple venues accross LA's East Side including The Echo, Echoplex, Taix, 826LA, Swinghouse Studios, The Church, Reform Academy and Stories Books & Cafe. Of course the festival will conclude with the FREE Toyota Antics Block Party in Echo Park on Sunday, October 9. Sponsors include Dickies, Dickies, Sony Computer Entertainment America, Guitar Center, Converse, Fender, S.O. Terik, Twonky, Whole Foods Market and Slacker Radio.
    http://filtermagazine.com/index.php/...re_join_2011_/

Ahh i remember stumbling upon this last year and not being old enough to go. Will definitely go this time.

I'm really unfamiliar with the lineup this year. Any suggestions on stand out bands.
    Last edited by ambient sounds; 08-16-2011 at 05:14 PM.

If my Disneyland weekend plans fall through i will be at this for sure! i'll continue to talk about how much fun last year was.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ambient sounds View Post
    Any suggestions on stand out bands.
    not bands, but lindstrom and gang gang dance are awesome