Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 949 Independence Jam 2011

Default Re: 949 Independence Jam 2011

Oh, bummer.

The event itself was pretty cool. Awesome location and the ocean backdrop is perfect. The bands yesterday were sorta ehhh in my opinion. I got there as Surfer Blood was playing - I like them a lot, have seen them before, and thought they were great. The Soft Pack sounded pretty good. Band of Skulls were okay to me, and I didn't care for Peter, Bjorn & John at all really...their music is sorta lame in my opinion. Cold War Kids were fantastic though. Unfortunately they only had time to play about eight songs because of Oceanside's city sound ordinance or whatever. CWK really put on an excellent show.

There were definitely some glaring sound and technical issues on the main stage. I wasn't expecting it to be flawless.

Overall the event was a good time. I'd go again next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Mostly I agree with icedkeg, I was a panicky idiot and forgot to check my spam folder for the confirmation email so I ended up missing Everest, that Hawaii band, and Surfer Blood so I was kind of bummed. I will disagree though and admit that Peter Bjorn and John was the best performance of the night for me, even though they only played two tracks from Writer's Bloc. The absurdly short set times were a bit of a bother, thank god most of the acts went on time or else that would have been a nightmare. I think they could have done well either starting a little earlier or booking a little less. Cold War Kids were good but I've never been a huge a fan, no encore though blows. Especially with the pandemonium that was Edward Sharpe's encore last year. I also noticed plenty of main stage hiccups, mainly in PB&J's set
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

I thought PB&J had the set of the day. I left after them, cause I'm not super into CWK. I mainly went for Everest, but that crowd was just not having it at all. There were too many high schoolers who didn't care about who was playing, so they stood around in the front of the stage and talked about all the drugs they took before they came in. I only made it over to the side stage for The Soft Pack and they were pretty solid, I thought they were better than when they played Coachella. Perhaps the main highlight was the chicken tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer333 View Post
    I thought PB&J had the set of the day. I left after them, cause I'm not super into CWK. I mainly went for Everest, but that crowd was just not having it at all. There were too many high schoolers who didn't care about who was playing, so they stood around in the front of the stage and talked about all the drugs they took before they came in. I only made it over to the side stage for The Soft Pack and they were pretty solid, I thought they were better than when they played Coachella. Perhaps the main highlight was the chicken tacos.
    I swear the majority of the crowd was 16-18 year olds. This event has definitely shifted to a much much younger audience in the past two years; 2009 was totally different.

Overall it was pretty good though, I thought Peter Bjorn and John were the best. Hang Me Up to Dry was the highlight song of the night. I don't get how 949 does not understand how dumb the short sets are, they need to cut a few bands off the mainstage or start earlier or something.

and the burger vendors didn't have any bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

any reviews of the Silent Comedy set? I saw them open for Ryan Bingham earlier this year and thought they were amazing. I wanted to see them, but with Lykke cancelling, i opted to get the refund instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

I didn't go... but The Silent Comedy never disappoints. Seen them at least 6 times, always a blast. It's been a while though, I think I'm going to go to their upcoming Casbah show.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    The event itself was pretty cool. Awesome location and the ocean backdrop is perfect. The bands yesterday were sorta ehhh in my opinion. I got there as Surfer Blood was playing - I like them a lot, have seen them before, and thought they were great. The Soft Pack sounded pretty good. Band of Skulls were okay to me, and I didn't care for Peter, Bjorn & John at all really...their music is sorta lame in my opinion. Cold War Kids were fantastic though. Unfortunately they only had time to play about eight songs because of Oceanside's city sound ordinance or whatever. CWK really put on an excellent show.

There were definitely some glaring sound and technical issues on the main stage. I wasn't expecting it to be flawless.

Overall the event was a good time. I'd go again next year.
    +1 Exactly my thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird404 View Post
    I want to go but fuck, thats a lot of money...

Besides Surfer Blood, Soft Pack, and Crocodiles (fantastic set), I thought the rest of the bands were pretty bland on Sunday. I don't really get the hype surrounding Everest and Band of Skulls or continued praise of Cold War Kids. Their whole "blue eyed soul" thing is a complete bore.

Why did I go? Free tickets, food, and beer in the sun.

the silent comedy had a fanfuckingtastic set. loved them. and when the well started it brought up a few extra people on stage to collaborate and fuck around. really awesome set.
    Coachella 03, 04, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.1, 12.2...