Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Killing on AMC

Default Re: The Killing on AMC

Wow. I just watched Jimmy Kimmel's interview with Joel Kinnaman, I knew he was Swedish but I didn't know he was so effeminate IRL...quite the opposite of his character on the show.

7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Effeminite? Not sure I'd describe him as effeminate. What made you say that? The fact that he uses his arms a lot when he gestures? Have we heard anything about a third season? Seems less and less likely the more I think about it. And Kinnaman have Enos have big careers ahead of them regardless of what happens.

Receding in the horiss-ahn. Dude is adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Effeminite? Not sure I'd describe him as effeminate. What made you say that?
    He just seems so soft-spoken and polite. Again, I'm sure it's the contract from his character on the show that makes it seem that way more than anything.
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Not attacking - I promise - I just find it interesting that you equate being soft-spoken with effeminateness.

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

I'm sorry to any one who actually likes this depression-fest of a TV show, but it needed to be done:

AMC Will Not Be Renewing Original Series, The Killing, for a Third Season

AMC announced today it will not renew The Killing for a third season. The Killing first premiered on AMC on Sun., Apr. 3, 2011. Season 2 premiered on Sun., Apr. 1, 2012. The series was produced by Fox Television Studios.

Following is a statement on behalf of the network:

"After much deliberation, we've come to the difficult decision not to renew The Killing for a third season. AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast."
    http://blogs.amctv.com/the-killing/2...he-killing.php
    3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

No real surprise that AMC announced that there won’t be a third season. The network said it reached the decision after “much deliberation,” which is probably true because fans of the show were nothing if not loyal. Except, of course, for those who never got over the way the first season ended. Often, it’s easy to blame networks for failing to give decent shows a shot, but in this case, sad to say, the blame has to be with the show itself. Yes, the American version completely followed the story line of the original Danish version and a resolution to the murder of Rosie Larson was never planned as the season finale. That said, the problem really was that the show spent much of the first season casting suspicion on virtually every member of the cast, more than pushing the line between “tease” and “torture.” After all of that, ending with no resolution felt to many viewers like a slap in the face.

The Killing is an object lesson in what not to do in the area of managing expectations. The show led viewers to expect some kind of a resolution at the end of the first season. Maybe it didn’t have to be every detail of the murder and the back story, but something to make them feel as though they’d reached a plateau and were ready for the next part of the climb in season 2. Didn’t happen. And it is too bad because there was a lot of good in the show, especially the performances.

The Killing we hardly knew ye.
    Last edited by rasooli; 07-27-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Yeah, not surprising that AMC passed on a third season given the ratings. I'll never understand the outrage and sense of entitlement people felt about that season 1 cliffhanger, though. I love surprises and I loved how they pulled the rug out from under us. And the season 2 finale was a stunner.

While this is the end of the show on AMC, apparently Fox Television Studios is shopping it around. I wonder if DirecTV will pick it up like they did with NBC's Friday Night Lights and FX's Damages. Not likely, I know...

Entertainment Weekly:

Fox Television Studios quickly sent out a statement saying the studio plans to shop the drama series to other networks: “Fox Television Studios is extremely proud of The Killing, the extraordinary writing staff and crew, and what we believe is one of the best casts on television. We will proceed to try to find another home for the show.”

It's baaaaack. Apparently, AMC had a change of heart after a second producing partner (Netflix, it seems) agreed to share some of the costs for a third season.

Writers back at work on AMC's 'The Killing'
    Series eyes May bow as cabler, digital deals are being hammered out
    By STUART LEVINE
    Variety

The mystery of whether "The Killing" will be brought back to life has been solved: The show is returning to AMC.

Though neither the cabler nor producer Fox Television Studios would confirm, showrunner Veena Sud and exec producers Dawn Prestwich and Nicole Yorkin went back to the writers' room this week to begin work on a third season of the moody drama.

The new season will likely launch in late May, with production set to begin in a few months. Earlier reports had the drama also being made available on Netflix following its initial run on AMC, but those negotiations have not yet been finalized. Series, starring Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman as a pair of Seattle cops trying to solve the murder of a high school girl, was canceled in July. However, rumors persisted that the show might be revived on Netflix or another alternative platform. The lingering interest in "Killing" from outside outlets likely helped convince AMC to give the show a second look.

After a series premiere in May 2011 that generated strong ratings, numbers began to fall and there was an uproar from many viewers after the first-season finale failed to solve the show's central murder mystery. The "Killing's" second season ended in June with only 1.9 million viewers tuning in.

At that point, it wasn't looking likely that a third season would ever happen, but in the ensuing months AMC topper Charlie Collier and programming senior VP Joel Stillerman changed their minds, probably swayed in part by the prospect of a partner coming in to help shoulder the cost of licensing the show.

There's no word yet on which cast members will return, although undoubtedly producers aim to retain stars Enos and Kinnaman. Billy Campbell, who ended season two as the newly elected mayor of Seattle, could be a possibility, but Michelle Forbes and Brent Sexton, who played the murder victim's parents, may not be back.

WME, which recently signed Sud, was said to be instrumental in getting "Killing" back on the air.

Going to add this to my list of backlogged shows on netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

I guess I'm glad it's back. I liked the show enough that I'll watch again, and I'm guessing they've learned that having a whole season on one crime and then not solving that crime at the end of the season isn't a good approach.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    I guess I'm glad it's back. I liked the show enough that I'll watch again, and I'm guessing they've learned that having a whole season on one crime and then not solving that crime at the end of the season isn't a good approach.
    It is hard to understand how anyone thought that would be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

I was an ardent defender of this show's first two seasons, but I am not really feeling the this third season. Something's off. It's like Veena Sud got spooked by the cancellation and all the ridiculous, entitled whining about the slow burn and red herrings from the first seasons.

This new season feels much more like a conventional police procedural. I have a hard time imagining that they will be able to pack the same emotional wallop they did with the closing of the Rosie Larsen case. And the secondary characters are far less compelling this season. Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman are still giving wonderful performances but without that central ghost of the victim running through the season, I'm finding it difficult to care about any of these people -- the street kids, the falsely convicted killer on death row, the prison guards? Meh.

My recording of last night's episode got cut off with about a minute to go. Anyone tell me what happened in the final scene?

Shoot...I actually don't remember the final scene. Other than Holder was crying on his couch.

I'm pretty sure the killer is Holder's partner--the one he punched in the nose last night.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

My recording of last night's episode got cut off with about a minute to go. Anyone tell me what happened in the final scene?
    Last couple of mins:
    Linden returns to the station, notices all of the recovered victims' rings in several baggies on table. Her boss (Elias Koteas' character) walks by, tells her they've managed to match all of the rings to victims except for the four in the baggie that Linden is holding. Her boss asks her to join him and the team for some celebratory drinks. She says she doesn't feel like celebrating and she stares at the board with the victim's pictures and lingers on the picture of Callie, the missing girl. Cut to Holder coming home to a dark apartment after beating up his partner for not telling him Bullet called. Cut to Seward looking out the window of his cell on what appears to be the morning of his scheduled execution, cut to Linden sitting outside the prison in her car with the baggie of unidentified rings on her dash, smoking a cigarette and looking deep in thought as she looks up at the prison.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Shoot...I actually don't remember the final scene. Other than Holder was crying on his couch.
    I'm pretty sure the killer is.
    Yeah, that seems to be the obvious answer given that... [COLOR="#FFFFFF"]he didn't tell Holder that Bullet had called, but I hope it's not that obvious. If I recall correctly, when Bullet left a message for Holder she said that she knew who the killer was. This was after the girl who got away from the killer told Bullet something at the train station before she left town. So I'm taking it that means that the killer is someone Bullet knew or had some familiarity with, right? Given the amount of detail we're learning about the head prison guard's life -- especially that his wife said he doesn't come home for days at a time sometimes -- it seems the writers want us to consider him a suspect as well.

This was a stronger episode than last week's. I noticed that the opening credits listed Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs, Rachel Getting Married) as the director. I didn't realize he also directed tv, so went to IMDB to see what other tv shows he'd directed, but he isn't listed as the director of this (or any) episode of The Killing. A different director was listed. I wonder if he was brought in to take over direction on this ep. Kinda weird.

Last couple of mins:
    ... cut to Linden sitting outside the prison in her car with the baggie of unidentified rings on her dash, smoking a cigarette and looking deep in thought as she looks up at the prison.
    That's the scene I missed. Thanks for filling in.

I didn't understand why Holder was so mad at his partner for not telling him that Bullet had called given that Holder himself had ignored Bullet's calls and messages. It's OK for Holder to ignore Bullet's calls but not OK for Holder's partner to do the same?

Well, I think Holder was probably projecting his own guilt on his partner.

Projecting guilt is one thing. Projecting your fists on a guy in front of his family is a little more...

Hmm... lots of catching up to do.

Projecting guilt is one thing. Projecting your fists on a guy in front of his family is a little more...
    You're not suspecting Holder are you??

Haha, no.

Was last night's episode two hours long, or did it just feel that way?

Yeah, I dunno what to make of the season's penultimate episode. Fine acting -- especially Sarsgaard and Enos -- but a death penalty polemic? And the salisbury steak line at the end? Everything's pointing to this being a cop -- probably Holder's new sometimes partner. That just seems "off" for this show, though. There has to be something more to this case than that.

I guess we're to assume that Kallie's mom may be a fuck-up in general but is good at remembering dates her boyfriend was away three years ago or whatever and that he isn't actually the killer. And if the boyfriend isn't the killer, then yeah, it does seem like it could be Holder's partner since he was the guy who found (or planted) the box of rings in the boyfriend's stuff.

Any chance Kallie is still alive? Not sure why the killer would kill Bullet but keep Kallie alive.

Dunno about Kallie. Given the bleakness of this show (not a complaint), I'm guessing Kallie turns up dead or is never found.

I have a hazy recollection of Reddick (Holder's partner) having a bandaid on his face (or hand?) before he answered the door and got his lights punched out by Holder. Unless the actor himself had some injury which required a bandaid, I find it hard to believe that the creators would not have intentionally placed that clue there. In other words, he got clawed by Bullet. The coroner said Bullet fought fiercely to defend herself. Therefor, Reddick is the killer. End of case. Now you have next Sunday night free. Ur welcome.

I suppose it's a different approach than the Larsen case in which the killer was a character we'd gotten to know very well over the season(s). This time, what can you say about Reddick other than he appears to have a nice family life and seems to be a competent if dispassionate cop?

I have a hazy recollection of Reddick (Holder's partner) having a bandaid on his face (or hand?) before he answered the door and got his lights punched out by Holder. Unless the actor himself had some injury which required a bandaid, I find it hard to believe that the creators would not have intentionally placed that clue there. In other words, he got clawed by Bullet. The coroner said Bullet fought fiercely to defend herself. Therefor, Reddick is the killer. End of case. Now you have next Sunday night free. Ur welcome.
    I don't remember myself, but did the show specifically mention the calls being voice messages or otherwise asynchronous? If not, you've got the same guy simultaneously murdering Bullet and answering her calls for help at the station. I'm not sure that's the type of temporal anomaly this show is prepared to defend without the addition of some unlikely spaceships.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I don't remember myself, but did the show specifically mention the calls being voice messages or otherwise asynchronous? If not, you've got the same guy simultaneously murdering Bullet and answering her calls for help at the station. I'm not sure that's the type of temporal anomaly this show is prepared to defend without the addition of some unlikely spaceships.
    As I recall on the evening after the discovery of Bullet's body, Holder is at the station and finds out (from the front desk, I think) that Bullet called the station several times the night before. I think he asks who took the calls (or received the messages) and is told that Reddick did. Reddick never said a word of this to Holder, hence Holder's visit to the Reddicks' house in the middle of dinner (at which point, I do believe I recall seeing Reddick wearing a bandaid, suggesting he got injured the night before, the night of Bullet's killing).

While we see Bullet call Holder's cell a couple of times the night before, I think we're to assume that when she didn't reach him on his cell, she also tried him at the station. If you're referring to the scene in diner, I'm pretty sure that Bullet left another voicemail for Holder on his cell saying that she knows who the killer was. I would venture the calls to the station -- at least one of which was received by Reddick, it seems -- happened before this scene in the diner. Then of course, we see the driver/killer's perspective directly outside the diner.

So, yeah, my money's still on Reddick. Perhaps he worked in collaboration with Joe Mills. Joe picked up the girls, treated them "nicely", filmed the pornos and then Reddick killed them? I dunno.

Overall I liked this season. The show is mostly well-done and I'll be back if they do a fourth season. That said, a few complaints:

-- So much smoking. It seemed like the show never went five minutes without someone lighting up. I almost wonder if it was an inside joke response to those who complained that there was too much rain in the first season.

-- The prison guard stuff was pretty pointless. I guess we're supposed to have maybe thought the bald one was the killer or something?

-- The romantic scenes with Linden and her boss (the killer) weren't believable. There was no chemistry between them and they never established why she would ever have been attracted to him. When he was all "my marriage is done" and she instantly was all "let's bang," I was all "wait, what?"

Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen the s3 finale.

Man, what an ending. I love that they had such a harsh, brutal close to the season. Nothing sentimental there. I still think this is the weaker of the two cases. I not only loved the mystery of the Rosie Larsen case, I was emotionally wrapped up in those people's lives. Can't really say the same of this case, though Callie's mother certainly became a more sympathetic figure as the season progressed. Interesting to note that the finale (the second hour) was directed by Dan Attias. I don't know how this guy hasn't gotten a feature yet. He's directed some of the finest hours of The Wire, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Homeland and more, but I guess there's more interesting work in tv these days anyway.

Oh, and, now I feel kinda dumb for not thinking Skinner was the killer. Elias Koteas is a pretty well respected actor. I suppose every actor's gotta pay rent, but it would have been a bit odd for him to have been cast in a pretty inconsequential role as Linden's ex-lover, now boss.

I'm guessing we'll get at least one more season.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 08-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.