Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Killing on AMC

Default Re: The Killing on AMC

While I am disappointed to not find out who killed Rosie this season, I'm intrigued by the storyline coming about how the whole thing was a frame-job from the beginning.

I do wonder if there was a different ending prepared for if they didn't get renewed.

There are people whining about this finale all over the place online. I like that they took a risk with this ending and man are they taking a lot of heat for it. A lot of complaints I read online were centered around disappointment about Holder being a "bad guy". Have these people not been watching the show all season? If it's not abundantly clear already, nothing is as it seems on this show. I'm sure there's more to this finale that Holder simply being a bad guy. He could be an FBI mole working to solve a larger crime or he could even be pretending to work for the person who picked him up in the car in order to gather more evidence, or one of dozens of other possibilities. He's obviously not averse to unconventional police methods. There's no way they're getting rid of this guy in season 2. He's too good (an actor).

PS - Another article from EW says that the finale was written about half way through production of this season.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Oh gee Rage, I guess it's just cuz were a bunch of hatarz
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

I dunno, man. I guess it's cool that people get so invested that they get this sense of ownership. I just don't understand this deep sense of disappointment and even betrayal I seem to be reading everywhere; not just on here. It's not as though we've all entered an exact contract with the creators. Upon investment of 13 hrs, creator shall reveal identity of murderer. They took a risk. I kind of admire that.

The problem isnt that we all need everything tied up in a bow. Its that there was clearly not enough story here for the 13 weeks that they had, which led to a very padded-out drag of a 3 month slog only to not really take us anywhere.

Yes, last nights conclusion was really intriguing. But it should have been the end of episode 12 not the season.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Yes, last nights conclusion was really intriguing. But it should have been the end of episode 12 not the season.
    I completely agree. When Holder and Linden were walking around in the forest I was thinking "I can't believe this is the season finale and they're just now at this stage."

But AMC officials say they won't make viewers wait until next spring to find out what happens. They're planning to bring the show back early next year.
    Oh, so they're not making us wait until next spring (April or May) to find out what happens, but instead we get to find out early next year (January or February)? HOW GENEROUS.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

A few reviews have nailed the Twin Peaks thing already though.
    With Twin Peaks the murder was almost beside the point. There was so much to enjoy watching.
    The Killing is ONLY a vehicle for this mystery. There is literally nothing else to recommend it. Tho that swedish actor is really good.

On the upside, there wasn't very much rain in the finale.

Have any of you played the video game Heavy Rain? I can guarantee that anyone who enjoys this show would love it, which has a vastly more interesting case and many different endings depending on how you play. Basically a 10 hour+ interactive movie. HIGHLY recommended.

Consider me as one of those who is happy with the latest developments in this show.

The problem isnt that we all need everything tied up in a bow. Its that there was clearly not enough story here for the 13 weeks that they had, which led to a very padded-out drag of a 3 month slog only to not really take us anywhere.

I think you're looking for a different kind of show. I guess I'm the type who actually really enjoys a slow burn, but I understand that can be incredibly frustrating for a lot of people. If you don't care for the way in which the story is being told (or, really, stories) then you're probably just focused on the destination. I enjoyed the journey. And you wouldn't be off-base in saying that AMC's marketing of the show was a tad misleading, but that's marketing...

The Killing is ONLY a vehicle for this mystery. There is literally nothing else to recommend it. Tho that swedish actor is really good.
    I disagree with you here. The killing of Rosie Larsen was the spine of the show for sure. BUT a shocking act like the violent killing of a young girl is almost an excuse for us to peek into the private lives of a town of characters. You can either say that this show did nothing but tease you with 13 hours of red herrings or you can be of my view that Rosie's death and the subsequent investigation exposed the sometimes painful, intriguing and surprising private lives of characters that would not have been explored without that single, violent starting point. I loved all of these diversions. I think that's part of what made this show so much more compelling that a regular police procedural.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    On the upside, there wasn't very much rain in the finale.
    Ha. I read something in which the creator said that the rain machines they had to use for the show had two settings: Off and Downpour. She's going to try to get them modified for Season 2 so that she can get an occasional light drizzle in there instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    Consider me as one of those who is happy with the latest developments in this show.
    One of the two of us, then?
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 06-21-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Yes but you see all these characters and their stories were boring.
    They were vessels by design. That's why the destination became all that mattered.
    You can make a story work in the way you're suggesting with strong scenes, interesting characters, dialogue that strays off path. They didnt. The mayoral race was massively inconsequential, the parents were vessels for constant grief (and in the end, awful people), the detective was a frowny one-note character who BTW sucked as a detective, the victim was...a girl that may have been a hooker but really who cares, the partner was sort of interesting but ultimately grating in more than small doses.
    So it's a bunch of uninteresting robots bumping into each other in shitty weather and mumbling utility dialogue. That's why it's ALL about destination here.

Quick! Name a scene from this season that was engaging that DIDNT have to do with the murder. Can you? MAYBE the vegetarian-with-a-fish-sandwich scene. Maybe.

This just in: Sasha Grey thinks The Killing ended like Twin Peaks!

Handbanana is 100% right about this. The show is called the Killing, its supposed to be about the murder of Rosie. The danish show told you who the killer was at the end of season one. Why wouldn't we expect that to be the case.

By the time the viewers realized that this show was just going to be a bunch of long shots of seattle in the rain and a bunch of grieving people looking sad, we were invested in finding out who the killer was. We just had to get through 13 weeks and then we would have some pay off. But no payoff, instead we get a double cliffhanger that just seems forced.

Bill Simmons wrote a nice article on this here - http://espn.go.com/espn/grantland/st...y-first-degree

Speaking of which, they throw in the whole hooker plot line, but they don't really do anything with it. It could have added some extra juice to the season but they just gloss over it, like its normal for this Rosie girl to be a hooker.

I should have cut bait at episode three when my wife did.

You are all just a bunch of haters (though I do respect the opinions of Bill Simmons).

The Simmons article nails it.

And wtf? Google image search Mireille Enos...she cleans up very nicely. Doesn't even look like the same person with a nice dress and makeup on.

Edit: WHOA SHE'S MARRIED TO ALAN RUCK IRL?! hahaha
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 06-21-2011 at 11:59 AM.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm already lol'ing and I've only read the headline.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yes but you see all these characters and their stories were boring.
    They were vessels by design. That's why the destination became all that mattered.
    You can make a story work in the way you're suggesting with strong scenes, interesting characters, dialogue that strays off path. They didnt. The mayoral race was massively inconsequential, the parents were vessels for constant grief (and in the end, awful people), the detective was a frowny one-note character who BTW sucked as a detective, the victim was...a girl that may have been a hooker but really who cares, the partner was sort of interesting but ultimately grating in more than small doses.
    So it's a bunch of uninteresting robots bumping into each other in shitty weather and mumbling utility dialogue. That's why it's ALL about destination here.

Quick! Name a scene from this season that was engaging that DIDNT have to do with the murder. Can you? MAYBE the vegetarian-with-a-fish-sandwich scene. Maybe.

I think we both kind of agree here. If you don't find the diversions, sub-plots, red herrings and side characters compelling then, yes, the only value this show has to you is the final answer. I have a question, then, why the hell did you watch all 13 episodes? Why not just look up who the killer was after the it was (or will be, in this case) revealed? And I agree with you, the marketing of the show was misleading, but just because AMC produces gold like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, it doesn't mean they're above some questionable marketing practices. Where we disagree is that I actually did find all the sub-plots and diversions compelling. I will agree that the mayoral election sub-plot was a tad dull at times and only REALLY heated up when the Richman decided to start playing dirty and we got to see he was capable of more than just being a sad, honorable man.

Also, I don't think finding Linden to be a compelling character translates to me instantly thinking she's a good detective. What makes her compelling is sometimes what makes her a less than perfect detective. Her flaws. Her stubbornness, her deep seated anger and trust issues, her inability to separate her personal life from her work life.

As for small moments I enjoyed? There are actually many of them I can think of without going back to watch episodes....

• The tender way in which Belko (the family friend and employee) cleaned the kids sheets after he wet his bed.
    • The way the aunt was so devastated by getting the cold shoulder from Jasper's dad at the funeral (hmmm... maybe it was Jasper's dad after all!)
    • The entire "lost" episode in which Linden's son goes missing that seemed to enrage so many of you. That was one of my favorite episodes and had just about nothing to do with the killing of Rosie. What it did was show us how and why Linden was able to finally start trusting Holder, something that would unfortunately lead to her miss that he had pulled the wool over her eyes.
    • In the finale, watching Stan trying to atone by comforting the teacher's pregnant wife, the wife of the man he almost killed.

That's enough for now. Bottom line is, I don't think the creator of a tv show owes you guys anything. Stop acting so entitled. If you just wanted to know who the killer was, you should have stopped watching and looked it up online.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    [*]In the finale, watching Stan trying to atone by comforting the teacher's pregnant wife, the wife of the man he almost killed.[/LIST]

That's enough for now. Bottom line is, I don't think the creator of a tv show owes you guys anything. Stop acting so entitled. If you just wanted to know who the killer was, you should have stopped watching and looked it up online.
    It was stupid that the wife did not know he was the man who put her husband in the hospital. Really?

And yes, the writers do owe the viewers something if they want us to come back. I suspect the ratings for next season are going to be dismal. We took a leap of faith thinking that we were going to get some sort of pay off and they fucked us, and said come back next year. I'll just get the info on line next year like you said, like many others.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    I think we both kind of agree here. If you don't find the diversions, sub-plots, red herrings and side characters compelling then, yes, the only value this show has to you is the final answer. I have a question, then, why the hell did you watch all 13 episodes? Why not just look up who the killer was after the it was (or will be, in this case) revealed? And I agree with you, the marketing of the show was misleading, but just because AMC produces gold like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, it doesn't mean they're above some questionable marketing practices. Where we disagree is that I actually did find all the sub-plots and diversions compelling. I will agree that the mayoral election sub-plot was a tad dull at times and only REALLY heated up when the Richman decided to start playing dirty and we got to see he was capable of more than just being a sad, honorable man.

Also, I don't think finding Linden to be a compelling character translates to me instantly thinking she's a good detective. What makes her compelling is sometimes what makes her a less than perfect detective. Her flaws. Her stubbornness, her deep seated anger and trust issues, her inability to separate her personal life from her work life.

As for small moments I enjoyed? There are actually many of them I can think of without going back to watch episodes....

• The tender way in which Belko (the family friend and employee) cleaned the kids sheets after he wet his bed.
    • The way the aunt was so devastated by getting the cold shoulder from Jasper's dad at the funeral (hmmm... maybe it was Jasper's dad after all!)
    • The entire "lost" episode in which Linden's son goes missing that seemed to enrage so many of you. That was one of my favorite episodes and had just about nothing to do with the killing of Rosie. What it did was show us how and why Linden was able to finally start trusting Holder, something that would unfortunately lead to her miss that he had pulled the wool over her eyes.
    • In the finale, watching Stan trying to atone by comforting the teacher's pregnant wife, the wife of the man he almost killed.

How exactly can you agree with the marketing being misleading but then go on to say someone's acting entitled?

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

i'll keep watching next season.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    How exactly can you agree with the marketing being misleading but then go on to say someone's acting entitled?
    Well, it's not 1987. I think we're all a lot more media savvy these days and more aware of how marketing is used to manipulate us. Or at least we should be. The show's far from perfect, but I found much to admire and was engrossed every week. Anyway, again, if you weren't enjoying the show, you should have stopped watching. I don't understand devoting 13 hours of your life to show you can't stand. Something compelling, beyond the prospect of learning who the killer was, must have made all the haters tune in every week.

I saw this article this morning. The LA Times critic does a better job of defending the show than I ever could....

Critic's Notebook: 'The Killing' provokes murderous response
    By Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times Television Critic

For better or worse, the season finale of the AMC series generates the kind of reaction usually reserved for the final episode of long-running shows. Never mind who killed Rosie Larsen. The mystery I want solved is how AMC shows continue to have cultural footprints so much larger than their audience. It began with "Mad Men" and continues now with "The Killing," the season finale of which left many cross-eyed and panting with rage.

Their words all but quivering in cancel-my-subscription frustration, critics, fan bloggers and tweeters could not believe that after all the show had demanded of them (13 whole episodes), after all the "red herrings" and shots of Seattle looking like a rain-soaked ghetto instead of the hipster birthplace of Starbucks and Nirvana, we didn't even get to find out who the real bad guy was. Or at least not for certain. Although it appeared that detectives Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos) and Stephen Holder (Joel Kinnaman) had nailed mayoral candidate Darren Richmond (Billy Campbell) for the crime, the last-minute revelation that Holder falsified evidence seemed to indicate otherwise.

What?!? Thus was Father's Day shriven with howls of protest from those who desperately Needed to Know. Some desired it to justify a show they had, apparently, found increasingly fragmented and slow-moving. Others, if the levels of fury were any indication, sought something deeper — a reassurance, perhaps, that our fascination with all things Scandinavian ("The Killing" is based on a successful Danish series) is still a legitimate trend.

Score another point for AMC, which managed once again to turn TV watching into obsession. For better or worse, "The Killing" season finale generated the kind of reaction usually reserved for the final episode of long-running shows. Reminiscent of the climactic scene in "Murder by Death," in which Truman Capote's Lionel Twain blasts famous literary detectives for withholding clues and introducing key characters at the last minute, the hyberbolic outrage over "The Killing" seemed aimed at a cultural phenomenon like "Lost" or "The Sopranos" that had disappointed or confused its viewers with a strange or inconclusive ending.

Some of this is a matter of medium rather than message — as criticism, especially TV criticism, grows more conversational and immediate, the language has become increasingly overwrought. "The Killing" was neither cultural phenomenon, nor was it, despite what you might read on the blogosphere, a crime against the art form and humanity. Creator Veena Sud promised an anti-police procedural, and that is what she delivered, dismissing, sometimes brilliantly, sometimes regrettably, the most basic conventions of murder on TV. As any lover of murder-mystery novels knows, the solving of the crime is usually secondary to the various secrets and subplots the investigation reveals.

Writers love a good murder because great violence is a clarifying agent, permission to peep into our neighbors' windows. Each "red herring" of "The Killing" revealed something dark and disturbing — the need of a young girl to find acceptance through humiliating sex, the fine line between fondness and overfamiliarity many young teachers walk, the separate enigmas and glossed-over miscommunications that make up even the most loving families, the bestial violence that hunkers down deep in every father's soul. The uber narrative of "The Killing" is not the death of Rosie Larsen but the revelation of Sarah Linden, a woman so obsessed with and damaged by her career as a detective that she is marrying a man she clearly does not love and moving to Sonoma to escape it.

The Killing" was far from perfect. Sud did herself no favors by adopting many of the hallmarks of a procedural, especially confining the action of each episode to the corresponding day of the investigation; the Sonoma subplot was absurd, the escort service trope maddeningly trite. But the pacing and narrative detours were no more bothersome than those of "Mad Men" and for the same reason: If the moments did not string together in a perfect Add-a-Bead TV narrative, they were compelling to watch.

That Rosie's mother, Mitch (Michelle Forbes), neither rallied nor collapsed; that Sarah's mother figure is her social worker; that the investigation made its way through the insular worlds of a mosque, a reservation, teenage cliques and mayoral politics and sent all manner of messy truths to the surface as it did so; that Holder speaks a patois of street and recovery slang, all made up for the feeling that after stubbornly rejecting the rules and regs of TV crime drama, Sud occasionally had to simply keep walking until she got herself going in more or less the right direction.

No show is going to live or die by its season finale. When you try something new, you're going to make mistakes; if you don't, you're not trying hard enough. For those who need closure, there are all manner of admirable crime procedurals on the networks.

This is pure gold:

“What if we DIDN’T find out who killed her?” is the kind of breakthrough concept I would expect from a college sophomore smoking Djarums in the dormitory courtyard after not even drinking half of the tiny juice glasses he filled up with all the different milks and sodas in the cafeteria.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah. I love the writing o'er at Videogum
    That site is worth your time on a mostly daily basis

I jus printed the emmy nomination and press kit for the killing

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

the finale sucked. i don't care, there is just not enough drive behind this show to make me honestly give a fuck who killed her anymore. nothing. what a depressing and useless waste of 13 hours.
    3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

The Meh-ing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.