Thread: Kate Bush for 2012 (The annual ritual - this time with a whiff of hope)

Default Kate Bush for 2012 (The annual ritual - this time with a whiff of hope)

http://www.gigwise.com/news/62726/Ka...-To-Tour-Again

Kate Bush has revealed that she has plans to play live again.

The singer, who releases new album ‘Director’s Cut’ next month, said that she wanted to tour again before she got too old.

Bush, 52, has not played live since her only tour over 30 years ago.

She told Mojo: "I'd like to think I'll do some shows before I get too ancient - turn up with my Zimmer frame.

"I don't give up hope I'll do some live work but I don't quite know how it would fit with my life. Let's just see, shall we?"

‘Director's Cut’ is released on May 16 and sees Bush re-visit some of her most famous songs from the albums 'The Sensual World' and 'The Red Shoes'.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Default Re: Kate Bush for 2012 (The annual ritual - this time with a whiff of hope)

If she is going to cross the pond, Coachella should be all over this show. One of the few I have always wanted to see.

Default Re: Kate Bush for 2012 (The annual ritual - this time with a whiff of hope)

I hear her hee bee gee bees for the stage are as bad as andy partridges. Love to see her.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

She's coming home to wuthering, wuthering, wuthering heights
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesye s.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Goes without saying it is a huge yes. But I can't see her doing anything like this. Maybe a small TV/radio show. A festival show would be way too much too pressure and expectation.

As of May 2011, Bush was working on an album of new material.[6][7]
    In 2011 Bush told Classic Rock Magazine "I do hope that some time I get a chance to do some shows. Maybe not a tour, but something"
    This would be one of the great gets of all time.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Yes, please!!

New album releasing on Nov 21
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

God no.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Amy!! Don't make me break out the Coldplay jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    New album releasing on Nov 21
    Hope she's not self-producing, but it's Kate, I'll take what I can get! Playing live probably means two nights at the Royal Albert Hall or something. One can dream, though...

So this is us old folks' version of the annual Radiohead wish list, eh.

Pfftt....a Talking Heads reunion is more likely than Ms. Bush appearing on the Outdoor stage. Ain't gonna happen.

First single from the new album was on BBC radio today.

As on Aerial, the production feels a bit dated; perhaps she's too old to ever be "innovative" again and it seems like "quirky" is almost a requirement these days. Would be really interesting to hear her work with someone like Nigel Godrich; he did wonders with McCartney. I bet they'd make amazing music together. Those reservations aside, I really like this. It's a lot better than most of the tracks on Aerial. Like the oddly warped chorus voices.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I hear her hee bee gee bees for the stage are as bad as andy partridges.
    Really? I always wondered why she toured so much for her earlier albums and then....just stopped.

I'd see her at a festival. Not really a fan of her work, but 'Running Up That Hill' still kills.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

From wiki...

Bush's only tour took place 2 April – 13 May 1979, after which she gave only the occasional live performance. Several reasons have been suggested as to why she abandoned touring, among them her reputed need to be in total control of the final product, which is incompatible with live stage performance, a rumour of a crippling fear of flying,[87] and the suggestion that the death of 21-year-old Bill Duffield severely affected her. Duffield, her lighting director, was killed in an accident during her 2 April 1979 concert at Poole Arts Centre. Bush held a benefit concert on 12 May 1979, with Peter Gabriel and Steve Harley at London's Hammersmith Odeon for his family. Duffield would be honoured in two later songs: "Blow Away" on Never for Ever and "Moments of Pleasure" on The Red Shoes. Bush explained in a BBC Radio 2 interview with Mark Radcliffe that she actually enjoyed the tour but was consumed with producing her subsequent records.

Voice is still amazing when she lets it go, but yea, the production needs a lot of work. Drums need a lot more body. Would still love to see this in the US.

50 Words for Snow is streaming at NPR Music this week. Like most of her albums, it's an uneven work, but it's so different from what I was expecting. Although, I suppose, expectations with Bush are a silly proposition. The first three songs - "Snowflakes", "Lake Tahoe" and "Misty" - are absolutely captivating. They feel like time is standing still. It's kind of funny because of all the tracks, these three are the longest and as such tend to... wander the most. And, yet, I think they're the most vividly drawn of the seven songs. They're certainly much stronger than anything on Aerial. Just gorgeous.

Coachella would also be a terrible place for her to perform this material. Not that there's even the remotest of chances that we'd see her name on the poster.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Coachella would also be a terrible place for her to perform this material. Not that there's even the remotest of chances that we'd see her name on the poster.
    I think the 1 song on SNL was her only non-interview TV appearance on North American soil.

AFAIK, she's only done a pair of 1 song cameos since the late 80's. Her last interview on camera was 20 years ago.

MUSIC

NOVEMBER 23, 2011.Saying It With Snowflakes .

By JIM FUSILLI

When you consider that Kate Bush has gone as long as a dozen years between albums, the appearance of "Director's Cut" earlier this year and "50 Words for Snow" (Anti) this week is a bonanza. Both discs remind us that Ms. Bush is rarely less than very interesting and often quite superb.

John Cardner Bush

Kate Bush has gone as long as a dozen years between albums, so two new records in a year is a bonanza.
    On "Director's Cut," Ms. Bush revisited 11 previously issued tracks, recorded anew on tape instead of digitally, with new vocals and some new arrangements. The new versions are inviting, thanks not only to acoustic instruments and old-fashioned analogue studio techniques, but to a drop in key to accommodate her voice as it is now. None are overburdened by of-the-moment arrangements.

"I wanted it to sound like an album of new material," she said via Skype earlier this month. "It's an interesting personal exercise to take old songs and approach them as if I were working them up now."

Ms. Bush, 53, said the process of stripping down her songs and making space in the arrangements had a direct impact on the recording of "50 Words for Snow." Steve Gadd is the drummer on six of the newest album's seven tracks—"Among Angels," which closes the album, is a solo performance by Ms. Bush—while Danny Thompson and John Giblin share duties on bass. Their work gives the music a supple underpinning that works well with Ms. Bush's piano and dramatic vocal style. So do the orchestral arrangements by Jonathan Tunick. "He's absolutely fantastic, a big part of the textural feel," she said.

Listen
    "50 Words for Snow"
    "Snowed In at Wheeler Street"
    "Snowflake"
    "I wanted to make a record with a wintry theme, but it became apparent quite soon that I was writing about snow." Ms. Bush recalled. "I was surprised that it was such a great thing to write about. But I asked: 'Is there that much to say?'"

As you might imagine, Ms. Bush uses falling—and fallen—snow as setting and metaphor. Melodrama reigns in the tone poems Ms. Bush and her musicians create. The leisurely pace of "Snowflake" and "Lake Tahoe," the first two tracks on the recording, supports the mysterious stories they tell: The former may be from the point of a view of a single piece of falling snow or it may be from the memories of an old dog that belongs to a woman or ghost who is in turn the subject of "Lake Tahoe." "Misty," the third song, may be about a snowman that comes to life or a cold-hearted man who warms under a woman's touch. Each performance echoes with a sense of longing in an icy, surreal environment, a constancy here that raises the theme well beyond the level of gimmick.

Ms. Bush studs "50 Words for Snow" with a cleverly chosen collection of guest vocalists. Her son Bertie McIntosh sings the verses on "Snowflake"—his phrasing is identical to his mother's: "That's because he has to listen to me nagging him," she joked. Classically trained singers Stefan Roberts and Michael Wood join in on "Lake Tahoe," providing a formal counterpoint to Ms. Bush's free-flowing lead. British rock veteran Andy Fairweather Low is featured on "Wild Man," a tale of the Yeti in which Ms. Bush speak-sings in a manner reminiscent of Patti Smith. In the title track, with Ms. Bush gently exhorting him, the actor Stephen Fry enunciates 50 words for snow; the song is a modal bit colored by squeals from Dan McIntosh's guitar and driven by Mr. Gadd's brushes chugging on the snare and hi-hat.

The most striking guest appearance is by Elton John on the dramatic ballad "Snowed in at Wheeler Street." It's the story of two lovers who can't quite reunite as they journey throughout history—in Rome as it burned, London during World War II, New York City on 9/11; Ms. Bush sings: "I saw you on the steps in Paris / You were with someone else / Couldn't you see that should've been me?" In a conversational style, Mr. John sings at the bottom of his range, but as the music builds and the lovers finally come together, he suddenly yowls "I don't want to lose you again" as if he dreads the abject pain. It's a statement so raw that it startles.

"Elton is such a hero of mine," Ms. Bush said. "When it became obvious that it was going to be a duet, I thought of him. It was kind of a dream, really."

The level of intimacy is what connects "Director's Cut" and "50 Words for Snow." Technology is applied subtly. For all the fine work of her guests, the albums put Ms. Bush and the listener in close contact. In both instances, it's a wonderful place to be.

Mr. Fusilli is the Journal's rock and pop music critic. Email him at jfusilli@wsj.com or follow him on Twitter: @wsjrock
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I've always said that if Kate were to ever play another show, anywhere in the world, I would fly to it.

If she were at Coachella, I would cry so many gayboy tears of joy.

Is there Kate Bush chatter going on in some other thread or does this board have its collective head up its ass? This isn't some idiot dubstep producer who'll working as a "concert promoter" in Oklahoma in a couple of years. This is Kate fucking Bush. With a new great (at least for the first half) album.

The gays and their icons....so cute.

As with most Kate Bush, this one is hit/miss for me. I stick around because the hits are pretty awesome. We'll see if this new one grows on me, but I wish it was more Kate and less Elton et al.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    The gays and their icons....so cute.

As with most Kate Bush, this one is hit/miss for me. I stick around because the hits are pretty awesome. We'll see if this new one grows on me, but I wish it was more Kate and less Elton et al.

Is she really a gay icon? I suppose any strong-willed woman can be. But she's such a beloved individualistic artist. Hasn't she sold, like, 50 million albums? Yeah, the majority of which were probably sold in Europe, but I think it's a stretch to suggest her appeal is limited to the fancy boys. And I'd agree that most of her albums are fairly uneven. For me, the first three tracks are what make the new album; they're some of the best work she's done. I guess I was just surprised by the apparent lack of interest on this board. Maybe she should play HHM.

Yeah, she is. Esp for the older gays. Maybe not so much for the Lady Gaga/Kylie Minogue/Robin set, but anyway.

Speaking of gay icons...what about the new Tori Amos album. I actually think it's better than Kate's. And, her daughter wins the battle in the offspring showcase, hands down.

I'dDoItAllAgain

PJ Harvey spot?

Anything's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    Yeah, she is. Esp for the older gays. Maybe not so much for the Lady Gaga/Kylie Minogue/Robin set, but anyway.

Speaking of gay icons...what about the new Tori Amos album. I actually think it's better than Kate's. And, her daughter wins the battle in the offspring showcase, hands down.
    Well, that's probably the US, then. I think she's more universally beloved in the UK. Yeah, I imagine her audience in the US probably has a larger percentage of gay dudes than her UK audience. You're probably right about that. Still... she seems like the perfect artist for this board.

As for the Amos, I hate to derail this thread, but really? I love her first three albums, but since then --with an occasional song here or there -- she's slid further and further into soft rock banality. I miss the fire, the urgency, the edge. I guess middle age and motherhood will soften you. It's funny you mention her because listening to those first three tracks on 50 Words for Snow I thought to myself Tori would kill to be able to write like this. Any particular tracks you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by I'dDoItAllAgain View Post
    PJ Harvey spot?
    Anything's possible.
    Not happening.