Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 394041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,318 of 1318

Thread: dB Festival

Default Re: dB Festival

Hey miscorrections, what is the name of the good torta place you mentioned in the sandwich thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I don't know if any of you were planning on seeing Luke Abbott, but he appears to have canceled all of his US dates.
    Was wondering about that because he didn't show up on the showcases once they added the set times.

Also where the fuck is Diamond Version?

When did Mosca drop from the lineup, too? Is it just me or does decibel not even bother acknowledging the cancellations?

Yeah very strange that they are silent about any lineup changes at this point.

Did some browsing on the Facebook comments and found this to be interesting. Some hopeful news among the drops and unknowns.
    Sean Horton: See you soon Crystal! Max live is divine! Heard a rumor he may be performing with Nils Frahm.

I guess at this point, we should have assumed that anyone not on the showcase schedule has been cancelled.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Hey miscorrections, what is the name of the good torta place you mentioned in the sandwich thread?
    Barriga Llena.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Was wondering about that because he didn't show up on the showcases once they added the set times.

Also where the fuck is Diamond Version?

When did Mosca drop from the lineup, too? Is it just me or does decibel not even bother acknowledging the cancellations?
    I am grumpy about this as well. And looking at the scheduler...I don't even know what I wanna do with that weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

nvm Sold
    Last edited by unknown; 09-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I'm really anxious about the Diamond Version situation as well. Their website and RA also still say so though...

Also, since I'm clearly a first-timer for Decibel, what's the consensus on the Optical showcases? I could only make the Saturday and Sunday ones and I'm a big fan of Raime's album (wouldn't mind Zola Jesus either). Are they unique/intriguing enough to justify the rather spendy admission price since I'm only buying individual tickets?

Lilia and Reid, I'd imagine you guys will have no problem finding someone to unload your pass for face value, but in case not, I'm just planning to go to 4 showcases but haven't actually bought the tickets yet. So if for some reason you CAN'T find someone to buy your pass for face value, I could buy it for the $115 I would have spent on the 4 individual tickets so that at least you don't lose the full value.

Quote Originally Posted by ratatatfan View Post
    I'm really anxious about the Diamond Version situation as well. Their website and RA also still say so though...

Also, since I'm clearly a first-timer for Decibel, what's the consensus on the Optical showcases? I could only make the Saturday and Sunday ones and I'm a big fan of Raime's album (wouldn't mind Zola Jesus either). Are they unique/intriguing enough to justify the rather spendy admission price since I'm only buying individual tickets?
    I personally think the Opticals are the highlight of the festival. They're the reason I buy a pass.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Barriga Llena.
    Nice. Thanks. This will be one of my highlights Saturday. Maybe I'll combine Pharmakon with a torta.

They are really, really large, so I'd plan for a break post-torta or you'll fall into a food coma at a show.

nothing more satisfying than eating a torta to the screams of the world ending by machines

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    nothing more satisfying than eating a torta to the screams of the world ending by machines
    Uhm. That sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ratatatfan View Post
    Diamond Version cancelled per their Facebook.

Their Facebook post made it sound like dB cancelled the booking... hopefully that is not true. (dB had said Diamond Version had a scheduling conflict). What a hard year it's been for cancellations this year.

I can't believe dB is only 4 days away. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you. What do your schedules look like?

Mine's going to be something like this:
    Wednesday: South London Ordnance -> Peter Hook / Ben Klock (splitting night between the two)
    Thursday: Oliveray -> Blondes -> Vessel -> Evian Christ -> Ame -> (bouncing between) Jimmy Edgar/JETS + Cajmere/Green Velvet + maybe sweatbox after hours
    Friday: boat -> Nils Frahm -> Olafur Arnalds -> Dauwd -> Machinedrum Vapor City -> XXYYXX or Henrik Schwarz -> (bouncing between) after hours
    Saturday: Jeno -> Zola Jesus -> The Orb -> (bouncing between) after hours
    Sunday: Raime -> The Sight Below -> Oren Ambarchi -> Archie Pelago -> KiNK -> Tiger & Woods -> Aeroplane

There's no way you're going to make it to all of those, dreamer.

That was actually my really scaled down version of what's going to happen. I have ways of not sleeping.

Ha, it'll always find you.

Either way, I'm jealous. Have an awesome time.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Their Facebook post made it sound like dB cancelled the booking... hopefully that is not true. (dB had said Diamond Version had a scheduling conflict). What a hard year it's been for cancellations this year.

I can't believe dB is only 4 days away. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you. What do your schedules look like?

Mine's going to be something like this:
    Wednesday: South London Ordnance -> Peter Hook / Ben Klock (splitting night between the two)
    Thursday: Oliveray -> Blondes -> Vessel -> Evian Christ -> Ame -> (bouncing between) Jimmy Edgar/JETS + Cajmere/Green Velvet + maybe sweatbox after hours
    Friday: boat -> Nils Frahm -> Olafur Arnalds -> Dauwd -> Machinedrum Vapor City -> XXYYXX or Henrik Schwarz -> (bouncing between) after hours
    Saturday: Jeno -> Zola Jesus -> The Orb -> (bouncing between) after hours
    Sunday: Raime -> The Sight Below -> Oren Ambarchi -> Archie Pelago -> KiNK -> Tiger & Woods -> Aeroplane
    I will, as usual, probably be seeing a lot of you.

My schedule looks pretty similar as well. Going with some friends so need to see what they are thinking as well. My must sees are all pretty much on your list so Ill see you around a bunch I'm sure.

Ambarchi will be great. He'll probably have one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_speaker

Hadn't noticed, but South London Ordnance has been cancelled as well (visa was denied).

Last night was a good start to the festival! South London Ordnance was cancelled, so there was nothing I wanted to see early in the night, which left a little more time to catch up with friends.

When heading out for the night around 11:15, I started getting messages saying Neumos (for Peter Hook) was over capacity and they weren't letting any festival wristband/pass holders in, only single show ticket holders. Huge bummer because I had really been looking forward to seeing at least part of that set, but I think it was a blessing in disguise, because Ben Klock was a really good way to kick the festival off. Factoring in the cancellation, he had a 3.5 hour set -- pretty generous by US festival standards -- and while I only saw about 2.5 hours of that, I have to take back the negative things I've said about him in the past. It won't end up being one of my top sets of the festival, but it was a really solid way to kick things off

Today - optical, Blondes, Vessel, ?, after hours. Definitely will be spending some time at the Leisure System one.

Good time this weekend. As always, it was wonderful running around the city with out of town friends, checking out a wide range of music. This year did involve a bit more logistical planning compared to last year but in the end it wasn't too bad. I still missed re-bar/baltic/melrose but just like Nordstrom was missing last year and returned this year (thank god), maybe those venues will be included next year.

Top set of the weekend for me was Raime. Holy fuck. Sitting in that booth at triple door completely engulfed in that audio/visual experience is something I keep thinking about. I would love if they released a DVD with those visuals. I was really looking forward to that set but the way it translated live completely exceeded all of my expectations. I am also really happy that it was part of an Optical showcase where everyone was seated. 45 minutes wasn't nearly enough!

Although it wasn't an official part of dB, Rrose's live set at ETG early Friday morning was also a highlight for me. Growling, gnarly, hard hitting techno. It was fantastic.

I also really loved the Nils/Olafur showcase and Dauwd. Speedy J, the rest of Optical 4 (The Sight Below and due to flight delays, Oren Ambarchi was rescheduled and Nosaj Thing debuted a new A/V set), Blondes, Machinedrum, Juan Atkins, and the Timetable Showcase were all really enjoyable as well.

The not as good as I hoped - Ben Klock, Actress. The bad I caught - Lapalux.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Okay. I haven't quite been able to collect my thoughts together about this year's decibel festival, but I wanted to at least put this out there:

You know I've had a lot of less-than-complimentary things to say about decibel festival this year, in the weeks leading up to the festival. The overall strength of the lineup. The beloved venues that were not used this year. My most anticipated acts one by one dropping from the lineup, mostly without any comment from the festival organizers. If I had not booked non-refundable flights and lodging, I may have just sold my ticket. Heading up to Seattle on Tuesday, I was viewing this as an opportunity to see "some" acts but mostly spend time with friends and enjoying Seattle.

My expectations could not have been more off base. While there were a few more issues (some unannounced schedule changes, another cancellation, venues hitting capacity extremely early in the night, and terrible experiences at that shit hole Neumos -- and hell, I sat out Saturday completely due to my own mistakes and misadventures), overall the music I saw was mind blowing-ly good.

I ended up seeing over 25 sets. Three of them were just "OK" (Ben Klock, Speedy J, Evian Christ). Most of them were fantastic. Over half of them will end up in my "favorite sets of the year" list.

What I saw.. those in bold were my favorites of the festival
    Wednesday - Ben Klock only (Neumos was over capacity ~30 minutes after the doors opened, and that still pisses me off because I really wanted to see Peter Hook. This should have been at the Paramount. I hope there was a lesson learned by the promoters).
    Thursday - Peter Broderick, Oliveray, Hauschka, Blondes, Martinez Brothers, (a really unfortunately small part of) Vessel, Evian Christ, Ame, Cajmere, Green Velvet
    Friday - (skipped the boat party which I heard was great), Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, Dauwd, Machinedrum, Henrik Schwarz, Max Cooper, Speedy J, Pearson Sound, (a small amount of) Pangaea
    Saturday - (skipped completely)
    Sunday - Raime, The Sight Below, KiNK, Mano Le Tough, Art Department (Kenny Glasgow only), Nordic Soul, and a Maxxi Soundsystem / Mano Le Tough / Kenny Glasgow b2b

^^ Yes, really, every single thing I saw on Sunday was stellar, like... I don't even have words to state how good it was. Sunday was probably the best day of music / best day of a festival I have ever experienced, and you guys know how much I go out and how many festivals I've been to. I'd even go so far to say it was one of the best nights of my life, between the music, the good vibes, and having so many friends there to share it with.

Since I have like a dozen acts highlighted as "best" sets, I'll say the Raime & the Sight Below optical was definitely the best optical I've ever been to, and maybe the best show I've seen.

I'm bummed I skipped the boat party and skipped all of Saturday (I really only wanted to see the Orb), but in retrospect, am completely OK with my decision, since there's no way I would have gone out for 12 hours on Sunday if I had not slept on Saturday.

Had an even better time this year then last which I was worried coming into but the execution was much better this year and the enthusiasm of the attendees and Seattle community seems to be growing nicely. All the showcases I attended were very well attended, even early in the evening, except Showbox Sodo for Blondes. Missed out on Sunday which seems like a big mistake now but saw lots of great things as everyone else has mentioned.

Highlights: Oliveray, Vessel, Ame, Jimmy Edgar, Nils Frahm, Henrik Schwarz, Max Cooper, Hessle Audio, Poolside (dj set), Smash TV , Kyle Hall, Matias Aguayo .

Good: Blondes, Ben Clock, Hauschka, JETS, Olafur Arnalds, Green Velvet, Dauwd

The Poolside DJ set was a big surprise for me. Just good day time party selections. Re-bar was full but not too packed and tons of fun which they extended an extra hour but getting drunk again early instead of sleeping was my ultimate downfall for missing Sunday. Even my bad decision was lots of fun (just not the most fun) so I say it was a successful festival.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 10-01-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: moving smash tv up

I don't know what it is about decibel, but every year I've missed an entire day of the festival due to bad decisions.

All the micro beers from the week hurt me