Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1318

Thread: dB Festival

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Default Re: dB Festival

You shouldn't have to cab, it's not very far at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I know, it was more in the interest of seeing as much of both sets as possible.

Honestly it'll take longer to find a cab than it will to walk up the hill.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Cabs are hit or miss in my experience . Sometimes it will take two seconds, and other times 20 minutes.

And I'm skipping tonight in favor of a marketing interview and a finance case, but I'll be attwnding stuff starting Thursday evening.

Last year there were cabs lined up outside the venues. Had no problem at all on Weds/Thur of decibel.

I know the Optical is going to be great but after the day I've had I need to go home, eat some food, and chill out for a fucking second before going out and doing anything. I'll probs be at Slow Hands/Appleblim/Monolake.

Tonight I'm going to the optical at Triple Door -- will probably arrive around 6:30pm. I'm sitting in the middle of the bar/table thing that's in the front, connected to the stage. If you're there, come say hello!

I'm also going to try to make it to the Modern Love Showcase after, at Melrose Market Studios, but that's contingent upon energy/drunkenness levels.

I'm thinking I'll go from work to the film, home to pound a Red Bull, snag some foods somewhere, Orbital, then Modern Love. Unless I get off work early, in which case I won't need that middle chunk of time pre-Orbital to pull myself together - and in that case I'll try to catch Julianna Barwick.

I don't think any of us has been checking the board. Text us your whereabouts tonight, ladies.

Corinna, we were talking about going to part of the film, too. I have to go there anyway since my wristband has already come off.

Ok, will text

Yay! I hope to see you ladies tonight at Modern Love. God I am so excited for Andy Stott tonight (and everything else of course). Last night was so much fun and I'm so excited that we have 4 more nights to go!

I had such a blast dancing to FaltyDL last night. The last 30 minutes of his set were RIDICULOUS. He played ARP3 then just every track after that was WTF IS THIS, PROCEED TO GET DOWN HARD good.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I am 100% in love with this festival.

Wow, thanks Orbital. A great career spanning set with the obvious classics mixed with new stuff. I was front and center and glad to see them again after at least a decade. A nice kickoff to my db shows.

Orbital put on a masterful show and the DJ set was fun as well. Very impressed with the Q sound system and LED lights. Great night and festival overall.

Ariel Pink and friends last night was fantastic. I really didn't know what to expect from this guy and had heard of his notorious break downs on stage but him and his band were totally on point. Dam-Funk was a suitably funky opener that totally got the room moving, making way for the caped Ariel to strut and fully work the room. The Crocodile was a perfect venue for this and remains my favorite place in Seattle for a show.
    IMG_5691.jpg

Kangding Ray delivered a masterful set. I wish I could teleport to LA for his show w/Stott and Demdike Stare tonight (they were both excellent as well). So much great music so far!
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

I hope everyone got a chance to check out Nils Frahm's Optical set. I was stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

I missed Nils. Actually in general, I saw far less than I expected/planned to, but despite that could not be more satisfied with the festival. Slow Hands and the boat party sets were the only ones that were not really good. I'm still stunned by the entire Modern Love showcase (Cut Hands in particular rewired my brain), and there couldn't have been a better way to end the festival than with Talabot's set. This is hte first time I can recall skipping multiple after parties not because I was too tired but because I just didn't really want to hear any more music after the sets I'd just seen.

Skipping after parties? I hope there were children's movies involved.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I can't talk about it on the internet. Next Thursday.

Yeah I missed Nils Frahm as well. Dinner plans went longer then expected and seats were unavailable by the time I arrived. Jealous of all who made it in, I really wanted to see him.

Overall was really impressed with this festival. The local food scene/beer/coffee were all top notch and I enjoyed all the venues that I saw. First time I really had to use earplugs but the sound was crisp everywhere. My only complaint is the lack of alcohol at the after-parties (not much you can do about that as a legit festival). Also at times I felt bad that some well regarded artists were playing to an empty club but at the same time it was great as an attendee to have easy accessibility to those artists.

As usual I ended up seeing quite a lot that I didn't plan to see but was extremely happy with the diversity of music I was able to see. Orbital, Kangding Ray, Max Cooper, John Talabot, Dave Aju, Ripperton, Roman Flugel, Matt Tolfrey after party, and Public Lover were all highlights for me. Even Nina Kraviz threw down although she didn't play too much vinyl from what I saw. So much I know I missed out on too.. I'll be back next year.

Yeah, Nils set was fucking excellent. Despite the whole 2 hour delay with doors opening, I'm glad that they had him play his original time slot since there was no way I could stick around till 11pm. I wonder how they will proceed with Opticals next year. Personally, I missed Nordstrom this year. Triple Door was a cool spot but the whole restaurant type vibe to it kind of interfered with the whole feeling of what Opticals are, imo.

Even though the festival seemed to all be running late, it allowed me to catch shows that I didn't think I would catch - Demdike Stare's re-scoring for example.

I'm still processing everything I caught but the highlights for me were: Modern Love Showcase - Cut Hands, Demdike Stare, and Andy Stott were all very interesting and just on another level of music; Raster-Noton Showcase - Emptyset and Kangding Ray surpassed my expectations, I'm bummed I missed Byetone but sometimes you gotta find your friends. shrug. I still think I had the most fun dancing at FaltyDL but Objekt and George Fitzgerald played great sets as well.

Brock Van Wey, Biosphere, and Nils' Opticals were highlights as well as far as Optical shows are concerned. I only caught 3 of the 5 showcases though.

Peter Van Hoesen's after hours set was fucking gnarly as was the roided out tweeker swinging through the crowd. I'm not sure how many more after parties I can go to while on acid. That shit just trips me out.

Of course I will be purchasing an early bird pass when they go on sale early next year. I was happy to hear that the sound at Baltic Room was beefed up - every time I was in there, with the exception of the dnb showcase, it sounded great. I still don't think the sound was dialed in correctly at Neumos - that shit was painful, and Melrose Market could have used a couple more speakers further back in the room - the sound was great up close but got sucked up and muffled further back. Hopefully I can drag my ass out to Q one day soon since I didn't manage to make it there over the weekend.

As always, it was fun to see everyone having a good time. I hope to do it again next year!

Did anyone catch Fennesz? Glad to hear people liked Nils Frahm, he was amazing back in April in LA.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Fennesz wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I was happy to hear that the sound at Baltic Room was beefed up - every time I was in there, with the exception of the dnb showcase, it sounded great. I still don't think the sound was dialed in correctly at Neumos - that shit was painful, and Melrose Market could have used a couple more speakers further back in the room - the sound was great up close but got sucked up and muffled further back. Hopefully I can drag my ass out to Q one day soon since I didn't manage to make it there over the weekend.
    Agree, I actually thought Neumos's sound was painful, too, and at this point, I have trouble making myself go to shows there unless it's something I can't stand to not see. Talabot was fantastically fun on Sunday, but that was partially due to having fun friends/company and being out of my mind. The sound was a real distraction, though, and I ended up not even listening to most of Pezzner and Public Lover because it sounded so poor to me. Everyone talked about how much it had improved this year and to me it just seemed LOUD, not mixed properly. Oh well.

I really liked Q on the night I stopped in for Ripperton, but it's not the sort of venue (in terms of aesthetics) that I'd go to. It was interesting though. Lots of little design touches that don't remind me of anything I've been to on the west coast really. Here in SF, it would attract the worst people. I'm curious to see how things will turn out for it in Seattle, and could be tempted to come back for a weekend show there if anything good is booked.

I'm going to buy an early bird pass when they go on sale, but have a feeling I might pass on dB next year for a new festival. I know that's weird to say considering how much I enjoyed the sets I went to. When I fall into a pattern with a festival where I start to skip nights or not go to half of the things I planned to see, I start to think it's time for something new. (Of course if I lived there, I'd probably never skip it... ).
    Last edited by chiapet; 10-04-2012 at 07:35 AM.

cut hands ruled. demdike was solid. andy stott was unreal. miles was great. the sight below was laughable. biosphere was 1/2 good. eleh killed it. emptyset was unbelievably, stupidly good. kangding ray was a douche during emptyset's set. kangding ray sounded mediocre from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I really liked Melrose on the night I stopped in for Ripperton, but it's not the sort of venue (in terms of aesthetics) that I'd go to.
    Aren't you talking about Q?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    kangding ray was a douche during emptyset's set.
    lol, how so?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    cut hands ruled. demdike was solid. andy stott was unreal. miles was great. the sight below was laughable. biosphere was 1/2 good. eleh killed it. emptyset was unbelievably, stupidly good. kangding ray was a douche during emptyset's set. kangding ray sounded mediocre from outside.
    Yep, pretty much nailed it. Kangding Ray was a douche because he was standing right in front of Jared and me with an unbelievably obnoxious asshole who was shouting to his friends the entire time. I'm sure KR was culpable as well. I stuck around for his set, which didn't impress me much, but Byetone was great afterwards. I haven't been this excited about techno probably ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Oops, yes, I did mean Q. I liked Melrose a lot aside from the sound being a little iffy from further back in the venue, as you mentioned.

I wish I hadn't missed emptyset. I stopped in for kangding ray and wasn't really feeling it. *shrug* There are like 2-3 sets that everyone else is raving about that I thought were just so-so. Makes me wonder how we could have been at the same set.

Sleepingrock and myself talked to Kangding Ray during Andy Stott for a bit and he was very nice. His entourage was a bit drunk and i could see how some of them might get a bit annoying if they drank even more though.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again