Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV/Movie pet peeves

Default Re: TV/Movie pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
    ALL dvd's should have the widescreen version on one side and the fullscreen on the other side
    No, I hate double-sided dvds. Just package two dvds together for crying out loud!

• The MPAA - F***ing hate them!
    • I hate watching movies on television, especially if they were rated-R.
    • Jittery camera shots (as if you were running with them) - mentioned earlier
    • Fight scenfs close up. I love Batman Returns, but the fight scenes were too closely shot - I like wide shots (such as Hong Kong cinema) that way you see all the moves, etc...
    • Low volume on vocals/high background noise (happens a lot with DVDs)
    • Stupid TV shows #1: that continue to be shown, when great shows, that take some intelligence and humor are canceled (i.e. Arrested Development). Or, great shows that lower ratings than dumb shows (i.e. The Office, Extras, Reno: 911, Real Time with Bill Maher)
    • Stupid TV shows #2: Franchise shows, CSI, Law & Order, etc..., I personally can't stand them
    • Most of the new horror films over the last 5 years or so, are exactly the same, especially in their advertising (posters and commercials). Take a look and compare them - it's the same dark background with reddish-orange writing, perhaps "dripping down" or "a tattered look. They may show a girl with her boobs sticking out, making a scary face, or some kind of weapon the killer may use. It's pretty pathetic, but i guess it hits the right demographic.
    • Continuity problems in movies (or TV shows)
    • People comparing every gangster/heavy dialog type movies with Tarantino - I love his movies, but can't stand him.
    • Crappy editing - too many cuts making a scene hard to watch; jump sequences

I think that's enough for now.

Great thread chairmenmeow47
    "Yeah chicks go nuts for that... the male camel toe."
    "Yea yea! The camel tail."

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

Pet peeve. George Lucas not leaving the fuck alone and making 3 unneccesary abominations of movies in the Star Wars series.
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    No, I hate double-sided dvds. Just package two dvds together for crying out loud!

Better yet, provide 3-4 movies on 1 DVD via Blue Ray. Is the movie industry scared at the thought that someone's movie collection could be stored on a couple of 100 capacity spindles?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by John Peel is My Co-pilot View Post
    Pet peeve. George Lucas not leaving the fuck alone and making 3 unneccesary abominations of movies in the Star Wars series.
    I actually liked episode 3...or maybe I just liked natalie portman...

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeverMyopic View Post
    • Stupid TV shows #1: that continue to be shown, when great shows, that take some intelligence and humor are canceled (i.e. Arrested Development). Or, great shows that lower ratings than dumb shows (i.e. The Office, Extras, Reno: 911, Real Time with Bill Maher)
    • People comparing every gangster/heavy dialog type movies with Tarantino - I love his movies, but can't stand him.

I think that's enough for now.

Great thread chairmenmeow47
    arrested development just came around at a bad time and fox fucked up the marketing. I'll bet it'll get a second shot just like Family Guy did.

I used to carry a Tarantino chip on my shoulder, but then I stepped back and looked at what he's done and how ubiquitous in modern pop culture his shit is. It's a schitck but it's not talentless. He's at least as talented as he is annoying. I'm glad he's done what he's done, both because it was amusing the first time around, and also because it will hopefully prevent others from doing it again for fear of being derivative. Actually in the proper context, he's alright. He was annoying in pulp fiction, but when he's supposed to be irritating he's an alright non-actor. I'm excited to see him play a rapist in Grindhouse.

I hate that mewing screeching cat that appears in nearly all horror movies.
    Or when something gets smashed and you hear a cat mew.
    I don't get it.

Is there an overpopulation of kitties ?
    ...and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now you’ll say, “Wow, we LIVED!"

Oooh another one.
    When a character runs in and tells someone to turn on a channel, ie the news, it's always the beginning of the bulletin when they switch it on.

Also, they never have to switch channels, the right channels is already on the tv when switched on..
    ...and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now you’ll say, “Wow, we LIVED!"

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    He was annoying in pulp fiction, but when he's supposed to be irritating he's an alright non-actor. I'm excited to see him play a rapist in Grindhouse.
    I actually thought he was spot on in From Dusk til Dawn
    We're not becoming friends

Actually not a peeve about a movie per se....but about watching them.

So you come out of Star Trek blah or Superman x, and the inevitable crap/great conversation ensues......

Then someone says...."but why does the enterprise bank like that when it turns in space? There is nothing to bank against"

"How can superman lift the continent into spaces...surely gravity is too much?"

IT'S A FOOKIN MOVIE......we're talking about things that don't exist...I'm pretty sure that Newton's 3rd may not apply!!!!!

I don't think anyone argues that Superman isn't strong enough to lift a continent into space. Its the fact that his character IS strong enough to do lift a continent that pisses me off. Fuck Superman. Fuck him. That movie was basically the filmic equivalent of a guy poking you sidelong with his elbow and saying "Hey, y'know Superman is kinda like Jesus." for two hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    anyways, what's YOUR TV/Movie pet peeve?!
    Well, it's more of an industry pet peeve. And it's only a pet peeve because the general public is so fucking stupid, fickle, and borderline mentally retarded, it benefits the industry to do it.

I don't watch trailers. I don't watch tv spots, listen to radio spots, look at posters, want to know who is in the film, who made it, who got together to make the soundtrack, nothing. I don't want to know anything about the film I am going to watch. NOTHING.

The reason why I have reached these extremes in ensuring a spoiler-free environment for me to enjoy film:

For years I had films spoiled by the cocksuckers at the distribution studios who make these horrible trailers [previews] that show the whole goddamn plot. Everything ... to including surprises, mysteries solved, shit .. even the ending. I got sick of it. So I tried going to watch film in a blindbuy type manner. Greatest theater-going experience ever.

Now I don't allow anyone to talk to me about a film I haven't seen. I don't want plot spoilers, cast spoilers, nothing. Don't talk to me.

And usually it's easy; because I'm such an elitist prick.

E

Banned

Oh, and is this thread official??

E

I hate it when they join parts of the film together in trailers that have nothing to o with each other.. to make it a punchline..

But then you see the film and the bit you thought was funny isn't because it's nothing to do with it..

I agree, trailers suck. I also hate it when they show the best/funniest bits of the film in it... so you think the film is all like that but in reality it's not funny at all..

arrested development just came around at a bad time and fox fucked up the marketing. I'll bet it'll get a second shot just like Family Guy did.

I used to carry a Tarantino chip on my shoulder, but then I stepped back and looked at what he's done and how ubiquitous in modern pop culture his shit is. It's a schitck but it's not talentless. He's at least as talented as he is annoying. I'm glad he's done what he's done, both because it was amusing the first time around, and also because it will hopefully prevent others from doing it again for fear of being derivative. Actually in the proper context, he's alright. He was annoying in pulp fiction, but when he's supposed to be irritating he's an alright non-actor. I'm excited to see him play a rapist in Grindhouse.
    I agree with you on both accounts - Fox totally f'ed AD. AS far as Tarantino, his movies are great and I like them a lot, it's more other people, critiques and what not that compare every similar (even if far off) to his. I agree he has established an almost completely new genre (not quite that far, but I think you know what I mean), and many movies might follow that formula or copy certain points form it.

I am actually looking forward to both Grindhouse films, they should be pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by bumper31 View Post
    I actually thought he was spot on in From Dusk til Dawn
    Yes, I agree...let me state what I said about Tarantino better... He is a great director and story writer, but every time you see him in another setting; interview, directors commentary on DVD, etc... he just talks endlessly. Beyond what most people do (including director's commentary). He just seems obnoxious. It doesn't mean I don't like his movies or his "acting" in some.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    Well, it's more of an industry pet peeve. And it's only a pet peeve because the general public is so fucking stupid, fickle, and borderline mentally retarded, it benefits the industry to do it.

I don't watch trailers. I don't watch tv spots, listen to radio spots, look at posters, want to know who is in the film, who made it, who got together to make the soundtrack, nothing. I don't want to know anything about the film I am going to watch. NOTHING.

The reason why I have reached these extremes in ensuring a spoiler-free environment for me to enjoy film:

For years I had films spoiled by the cocksuckers at the distribution studios who make these horrible trailers [previews] that show the whole goddamn plot. Everything ... to including surprises, mysteries solved, shit .. even the ending. I got sick of it. So I tried going to watch film in a blindbuy type manner. Greatest theater-going experience ever.

Now I don't allow anyone to talk to me about a film I haven't seen. I don't want plot spoilers, cast spoilers, nothing. Don't talk to me.

E
    -its his sled
    -hes actually dead
    -he doesn't really have multiple personalities
    -the butler didn't do it
    -the butler did do it
    -water kills them
    -the weak guy kills people to find his counterpart
    -he would have gotten away with it, if not for you meddling kids.

E
    And how about some twat posting an animated gif that spoilt the fooking departed for me......you shall all burn in hell and drown in your own fecal piss

E

I am the same way at movies with previews. I will keep walking in and out of the theater until the actual movies starts. I mute the TV during commercials, turn the channel on the radio on commerials. I do not wear clothing with any logs or endorsements. Why should I spend 75.00 to display and advertise the company that makes the alligator shirts?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

For films, I hate directors who think it's "artsy" to use a tilted camera angle. I also hate it how all daughters who look 20 have mothers who look 28.

For TV, I hate most things. There are only a select few television shows that I'll even bother to watch anymore. I'm a grumpy bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    For films, I hate directors who think it's "artsy" to use a tilted camera angle. I also hate it how all daughters who look 20 have mothers who look 28.
    tilted camera angles are generally not used in an attempt to be artsy.

The angle of a shot is one of the most basic tools a director can use to convey meaning. It is less artsy than necessary in every sense. Maybe you meant to say something else.

No, I'm pretty sure I meant to say a tilted camera angle. Otherwise known as a Dutch angle, Dutch tilt, oblique angle, German angle, or canted angle. I feel that it's terribly over-used by unskilled directors in some misguided attempt at conveying emotion or meaning.

Granted, it can be used well. But I think it's much more common for it to be used poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure I meant to say a tilted camera angle. Otherwise known as a Dutch angle, Dutch tilt, oblique angle, German angle, or canted angle. I feel that it's terribly over-used by unskilled directors in some misguided attempt at conveying emotion or meaning.

Granted, it can be used well. But I think it's much more common for it to be used poorly.
    I'm still with cody on this one. It has nothing to do with skill or pretense. There's a very specific reason for using it, as is stated in the article you posted. A director isn't trying to be "artsy" by skewing the angle.

Can you provide an example of you find inappropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Jack Bauer has a truly miraculous bladder, and never gets stuck in traffic in LA.
    If that bothers you, 24 is not your show. Part of the fun and awsomeness of 24 is how unrealistic it could be. Whenever they do something totaly rediculous, it makes the show even more fun!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Banned

I'm still with cody on this one. It has nothing to do with skill or pretense. There's a very specific reason for using it, as is stated in the article you posted. A director isn't trying to be "artsy" by skewing the angle.

Can you provide an example of you find inappropriate?
    I'm trying to think of an example, but failing miserably. I guess the obvious one would be something like American Pie or Battlefield Earth, as noted in the Wikipedia entry. In those cases it's not necessarily artsy, but it's certainly obnoxious.

I do think that the Dutch angle had an important place in the early films of German expressionism, among others. But film students watch films like The Cabinet of Dr Caligari and get carried away with camera angles or even just shaky camera work, and it ends up looking more like an MTV Cribs episode.

Anyway, it's something that I personally find annoying, but it isn't something that everyone universally dislikes, and it certainly isn't a very serious infraction -- hence by definition a pet peeve.

you can't really get carried away with "camera angles." that is like a painter getting carried away with "a brush."

ya you can...film students are the worse at it...i've seen it first hand

my point is that using camera angles isn't artsy. It is necessary. And if you don't like the way someone uses camera angles, then you probably do not like their movie. Its not a pet peeve, its a matter of taste.