Thread: Jon Brion at the Largo

Default Jon Brion at the Largo

Have any of you LA people caught any of Jon Brion's sets at the Largo? He plays there quite a bit, and I've always heard that his live shows are really cool. There was an article in Pitchfork, I think a few days ago about a show he played somewhere else. I'm interested to see what people with souls think of his act.

I found the article. Here it is: Jon Brion in Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

Default Re: Jon Brion at the Largo

jon brion rules like no other. beg, borrow, or steal to get a front row seat. you won't be sorry.

I agree with mob, his shows at the Largo are ridiculously entertaining. He's a one-man band, and some of the shit he can do is fucking amazing. And he's funny, too. Five stars, highly recommended. Make reservations (usually months in advance, for dinner seating... Or show up (early) the night of the performance to grab a seat at the bar near the back.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Yeah, I'm not from L.A. and I'm not 21. Haha. But its definitely on my list of things to do at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

I've always wanted to do a Jon Brion & Friends night at Largo but never made it up from San Diego. Now that I'm living in LA I've got to make it happen. I saw Rufus and Martha Wainwright and Jude play that tiny supper club and it was such a wonderful experience. Anyone see Brion lately? How's his show holding up? Any of his famous pals join him?

I've only seen Jon Brion once, and it was a set with Nels Cline. That was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I've only seen Jon Brion once, and it was a set with Nels Cline. That was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.
    Nice. Jon Brion + Friends shows at Largo coming up are...
    May 21 and 22
    June 25 and 26

I might be traveling for work June 25 and 26. If not, I'm definitely going to one of those shows with a few friends. RageAgainstTheAoki & Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by codytwo View Post
    Yeah, I'm not from L.A. and I'm not 21. Haha. But its definitely on my list of things to do at some point.
    It's not 21+ venue.

Brion is great. I Saw him at the old Largo and really enjoyed the show, even though my friends who saw him before said he was having an "off night"
    He always brings some great guests up. Kanye West and Fiona Apple have joined him, among many, many other
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyGuyRy View Post
    I agree with mob, his shows at the Largo are ridiculously entertaining. He's a one-man band, and some of the shit he can do is fucking amazing. And he's funny, too. Five stars, highly recommended. Make reservations (usually months in advance, for dinner seating... Or show up (early) the night of the performance to grab a seat at the bar near the back.
    luckily all that shit is over with. the new theater is great. its all seating. you can sit in the very back and still be able to see great. you should go to the new Largo. It's 10,000,000X better than standing almost in the kitchen like a schmuck
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

i got to see jon brion at the old largo a few times, and loved it. it was very intimate. still some of my favorite shows, not just of his, but of every show i've been to. would highly recommend to any music fan. you don't need to know his music, as he plays covers that people yell out later during his shows. and its fun just to witness his skill with instruments. as stated he starts playing one instrument, continuing until he has the sound of a full band playing. every night really is jon + friends, since he always brings on guests.

the only show i got to see at the new largo was flight of the conchords, it was before their second season, so they previewed some new songs. they called it "the international new zealand day" concert or something like that, and they had a bunch of new zealand artists and rhys darby do some comedy, as well as the conchords doing their thing. the place reminded me a bit like a middle school auditorium, but it was small enough not to take anything away from it. i guess it helps for those bigger shows, so they don't sell out as quick.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    It's not 21+ venue.
    it use to be 21+ at the old venue, if you didn't make reservations ahead of time. therefore, you couldn't try to watch from the bar.

God I'm dumb. I didn't even realize Largo had moved. For all its limitations (tiny, difficult to make a reservation, weak drinks), I thought that little supper club was incredibly charming. The July calendar isn't really populated yet. Does Brion tend to do his shows every month? Looks like I'll be out of town during his June shows.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Does Brion tend to do his shows every month?.
    yes. he usually does a few shows each month.

He plays one Fri and Sat every month and for most of his shows he does a post show jam in the 50 capacity little room. check here for up to date schedule www.largo-la.com. one of my fave venues in LA. andrew bird there last sat was amazing. close to 2 hrs of trying out new material, rarities, and classics not played in a decade.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moviebruin View Post
    He plays one Fri and Sat every month and for most of his shows he does a post show jam in the 50 capacity little room. check here for up to date schedule www.largo-la.com. one of my fave venues in LA. andrew bird there last sat was amazing. close to 2 hrs of trying out new material, rarities, and classics not played in a decade.
    DAMN YOU.

I really wanted to go to that Bird show. Apparently I didn't make the cut because I never call got a callback.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Ive wanted to go to this for as long as i can remember.

MUST make it to next show. Muuuust. jon brion is a fucking mastermind.
    Meow.Meow..Meow...