Thread: Questions about Lightning in a Bottle

Default Questions about Lightning in a Bottle

I know there's already an LiB 2011 discussion, but I have some specific questions, so I thought it'd be best to start a thread. I'm strongly consider going to LiB for the first time this year, but I know very little about it.

What are the odds that it will sell out? I want to buy a pass, but I won't know for a while whether I will be able to take Friday off, so I might do the 2-day pass.

What's the camping situation like? Sounds pretty similar to Coachella. Does everybody at the festival camp? Are there showers for campers? Is alcohol allowed in the camping area?

What's the food situation like? Are there vendors like at Coachella, or do I need to plan on bringing food?

Most importantly, what would your opinion be about going to this festival all alone? I'm trying to convince some friends, but it just might not work out, and I'd hate to miss it just because everyone else flakes on me. It sounds like the vibe is pretty friendly and inclusive, but I'm sort of a shy guy, so I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.

Any other advice for a first-timer would be great as well. Thanks guys!

Default Re: Questions about Lightning in a Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I know there's already an LiB 2011 discussion...
    You "know" there is an LIB thread, but you started a new one? Idiot.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    You "know" there is an LIB thread, but you started a new one? Idiot.
    Ooooooooooobviously, the OP is way more important than any of us lowly festival goers.

I'd like to respond with something snarky but crazzz already did.

Should I create a new thread?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I'll be nice in keeping with the LIB spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post

What are the odds that it will sell out? I want to buy a pass, but I won't know for a while whether I will be able to take Friday off, so I might do the 2-day pass.

Hard to say really. Last year did not feel full or crowded in the least. Last year also had incredible word of mouth and there was an e-mail saying they are selling better than ever, or something to that degree. I honestly don't think it will, but ya never know. Really try and do the full weekend, you wont regret it.

What's the camping situation like? Sounds pretty similar to Coachella. Does everybody at the festival camp? Are there showers for campers? Is alcohol allowed in the camping area?

camping at LIB is a huge part of LIB. Everyone camps. THe festival has a lot of burners from Burning Man so the whole sense of community and sharing is in place. You'll see lots of interesting camp set ups, lots of flowing booze and food. There is this communal shower thing that is pretty wild and pretty hippie. last year it was in the shape of a bath tub. they have a DJ spining while 50 hippies shower together, clothing optional. It was pretty wild, but i went three days without a shower, no biggie. Alcohol is allowed. not sure if they say no no to glass but it doesn't matter cause they don't search anyways. bring enough to share with your neighbors! Only thing that sucks about camping is if you get there late, as i did, you might get stuck camping on a slope. most of the camp grounds are slanted, and its strange sleeping like that. also the ground can be a bit rocky or filled with spiky little things that get stuck in your socks. Certainly not the nice grass we are used to at Coachella

What's the food situation like? Are there vendors like at Coachella, or do I need to plan on bringing food?

the food is vegetarian only, or at least it was last year. There are various food vendors and I gotta be honest, the food was damn good. I didn't miss the meat at all. Some really tasty, fresh stuff. Feel free to bring your own food. My neighbors friends cooked this huge breakfast I was luck to be a part of. Fresh bacon + doughnuts. I don't think they want open flame grills but check out the website. Bring some of your own snacks and drinks for sure though.

Most importantly, what would your opinion be about going to this festival all alone? I'm trying to convince some friends, but it just might not work out, and I'd hate to miss it just because everyone else flakes on me. It sounds like the vibe is pretty friendly and inclusive, but I'm sort of a shy guy, so I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.

I went alone last year and had the time of my life. After Clusterfuckchella '10, this was the most refreshing, wonderful experience I could hope for. I instantly became close with my neighbors, who essentially adopted me into their group. Bring things to share with your neighbors and you will be well rewarded. I'm going with friends this year, but I would do it alone in a heart beat.
    Any other advice for a first-timer would be great as well. Thanks guys!
    Hope you have a great time man. I can't wait
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

^^he basically just took the words out of my mouth.

The silverado canyon venue is so rad. It's easily favorite venue. It's perfect for LiB. Great vibes, sound, art, activities, people.. I suggest going no matter what. Plus if your up to it Blackstar Canyon is right up the street. a small town built in the canyon that is supposively haunted / holds KKK meetings. It's always a fun scare

Probably not selling out.

Camping is first come first serve take as much space as your shit permits. Get there early if you want grass... or at least people get to camp by the lake this year where it's flat. Bring a cushion or airbed n it's all good.
    That^ communal shower was done by Dr. Bronner's soap crew (Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!) And, how can you beat getting soaped up and rinsed off by attractive members of the opposite sex...haha, I couldn't believe the greatness of it all...

Pretty positive that there were a couple vendors w/ meat. Portions are massive, energizing, and healthy.

Don't be shy. My first LiB I was pretty shy and I didn't really get those deep connections that I had at Symbi & last year's LiB. Use the golden rule.