Thread: Much respect to the EMT Team/Medical Tents

Default Much respect to the EMT Team/Medical Tents

woke up sunday morning with massive near doubled-over stomach pain. made my way to the medical tent in camp and was determined to be dehydrated. 1 liter of saline solution later and i felt like a champion (other than feeling hungry). i know this is a minor problem compared to some of the more legitimate medical emergencies people probably have, but i was so thankful to have met dr. ash, gabriel, and chris who were awesome dudes and helped me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Default Re: Much respect to the EMT Team/Medical Tents

They helped me out too big time on Saturday afternoon. The medic team was awesome.

Lurker

Unfortunately, I must disagree with their overall performance. Maybe they were helpful in urgent (in their mind) situations, but they screwed me.
    According to the FAQ - What about bringing in my medical prescription? example: Diabetic insulin?
    Security will locate the medical folks adjacent to the main entrance, and they will assist you in storing and providing a secure area for diabetics.
    There was no person in the tent adjacent to the entrance, I was then sent to the tent by the Outdoor Stage by a black shirt. That tent didn't exist. Then was sent to the tent by Sahara/Mohave by another black shirt (who was perplexed the tent on the map didn't exist in real life). Those medics had their hands full with overly-drugged idiots at noon on the first day (I participated, but used my brain). I finally got a word in with the guy that seemed to be in charge, he radio'd to someone and sent me on a wild goose chase for a secret staff entrance (literally what he called it). Finally ended up carrying around all my insulin all day and ended up leaving it in my cooler at camp the next two days. Thankfully I was too hot to want to eat during the day anyway, and danced enough to not really require insulin at night (heat and exercise drop bloodsugar, requiring less if none at all), but this is a MAJOR FAIL on Coachella's part. I would have brought the bare minimum of insulin if I had known I wouldn't have a fridge - could have easily thrown $300 out the window if something went wrong with my cooler.

They literally saved my life. I cannot thank them enough and I really wish I could thank each and every one of them in person but if I had the chance, I don't know how I could ever thank them enough. I am forever grateful, they are the reason I am here today.

Quote Originally Posted by mcrockett05 View Post
    They literally saved my life. I cannot thank them enough and I really wish I could thank each and every one of them in person but if I had the chance, I don't know how I could ever thank them enough. I am forever grateful, they are the reason I am here today.
    Seriously? You can't post something like that and not tell the actual story.

Two years ago I got extreme dehydration, despite having attended many many years prior and knowing fully well the importance of drinking tons of water/sports drinks. I shit 3 or 4 times, runny shit, within a couple hours, massive stomach cramps, dizzy, onset of a headache, etc. I bought 3 waters and 2 sports drinks. I spent the next hour or two laying on grass, pounded all five of those bottles in maybe 45 minutes or less.
    After those two hours of grass laying, I was solid. But those few hours of pain were thee worst coachella moments of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Seriously? You can't post something like that and not tell the actual story.

Two years ago I got extreme dehydration, despite having attended many many years prior and knowing fully well the importance of drinking tons of water/sports drinks. I shit 3 or 4 times, runny shit, within a couple hours, massive stomach cramps, dizzy, onset of a headache, etc. I bought 3 waters and 2 sports drinks. I spent the next hour or two laying on grass, pounded all five of those bottles in maybe 45 minutes or less.
    After those two hours of grass laying, I was solid. But those few hours of pain were thee worst coachella moments of my life.
    I'd like to hear more ... about the shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

This thread makes me happy. As a former EMT, I can only imagine what they go through at the festival for the little pay that they get. Much respect goes out to them.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

ITT: A bunch of pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I only needed a bandaid after ripping a nail off my finger, but I'm very grateful that they happened to be in one of the outdoor theater barricaded speaker towers when I needed them. Thanks EMTs!!!
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Probably because I didn't need them for anything, but I never even noticed their tents. Glad that they were there to help those in need though.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Do the medical tents give out free oranges and cigarettes like the Hold Steady song?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by emjay View Post
    Unfortunately, I must disagree with their overall performance. Maybe they were helpful in urgent (in their mind) situations, but they screwed me.
    According to the FAQ - What about bringing in my medical prescription? example: Diabetic insulin?
    Security will locate the medical folks adjacent to the main entrance, and they will assist you in storing and providing a secure area for diabetics.
    There was no person in the tent adjacent to the entrance, I was then sent to the tent by the Outdoor Stage by a black shirt. That tent didn't exist. Then was sent to the tent by Sahara/Mohave by another black shirt (who was perplexed the tent on the map didn't exist in real life). Those medics had their hands full with overly-drugged idiots at noon on the first day (I participated, but used my brain). I finally got a word in with the guy that seemed to be in charge, he radio'd to someone and sent me on a wild goose chase for a secret staff entrance (literally what he called it). Finally ended up carrying around all my insulin all day and ended up leaving it in my cooler at camp the next two days. Thankfully I was too hot to want to eat during the day anyway, and danced enough to not really require insulin at night (heat and exercise drop bloodsugar, requiring less if none at all), but this is a MAJOR FAIL on Coachella's part. I would have brought the bare minimum of insulin if I had known I wouldn't have a fridge - could have easily thrown $300 out the window if something went wrong with my cooler.

I went with my buddy who is also a Type 1 Diabetic and it couldn't been easier. Yes there was no tent by the entrance...but they sent us directly to the main medical tent between the main and outdoor stage, right in back of the beer garden. They had free sports drink and water for him....You were just not looking in the right place. Protip- They have the cleanest bathrooms back there too....
    Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    It's like KoRn and Aidz Needles make a crime to my ears!!

I forgot to add:

Saturday we were sitting at one of the lunch tables in the food area, I had my head down on my arms. I felt ok, just tired, maybe a small food coma, whatever. Next thing I know, a woman walks up to our table and says "Is he ok?" I looked up and then she asked me if I was ok. She had a emt or staff shirt on, don't really remember.
    I said, "yeah, just resting." She asked me once more if I really was feeling ok before she went on her way.

I just thought that was amazingly responsible of them. Well done
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 04-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

that sounds like a security fail, not an EMT fail

I've never personally needed an EMT but I really appreciated that they walked around and checked up on people (without being intrusive) that may or may not have been passed out or in need of medical attention.

did you look at a map? both were right as they were marked on it.

Sorry to hear you got a run-around, but it sounds like it had more to do with the people staffing the event than the actual medical professionals. Were they cool with you bringing in a blood glucose monitor with you (with lancets, etc.)?

I'm an RN, and for a hot second I thought it might be fun to work at the festival. Then I realized I would mostly be dealing with people who are dehydrated (which is fine) and/or way too stoned/dehydrated (which can be obnoxious). Glad to hear about all the success stories!

The EMTs I met were pretty awesome. After I bashed my chin on the rail during Buzzcocks and bit through my lip, they were able to verify I didn't need stitches and got me cleaned up fast enough that I was able to catch the rest of the set. Also saw a bunch of them by the main stage Saturday evening helping out the people who passed out while waiting for Radiohead.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryupmode View Post
    The EMTs I met were pretty awesome. After I bashed my chin on the rail during Buzzcocks and bit through my lip, they were able to verify I didn't need stitches and got me cleaned up fast enough that I was able to catch the rest of the set. Also saw a bunch of them by the main stage Saturday evening helping out the people who passed out while waiting for Radiohead.
    lol after all the morons pushed and pushed and pushed up to the front of radiohead as if space is unlimited, i saw at least like 20 chicks get taken out by security before the show even started. shit was hilarious