Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Change this, don't change that

Default Change this, don't change that

For the most part, Coachella was a huge improvement from last year. There are still a few things about the fest that they could do to make it even better. Yet, there are many things that I wouldn't change at all about the fest. What are your thoughts?

They layout this year was a HUGE improvement. The food court up top by the ferris wheel made for so much more room to walk. Only thing I would change around up there was put the dome where the bathrooms are and the bathrooms where the dome was. This will take care of the sound bleed issues in the sahara beer tent and for people in back in the mojave. Plus it give people better access to bathrooms for more people on the field. Or just get rid of the dome because really lets be honest, the music in there is terrible.

I like the idea of the Do-Lab but something needs to be done about the sound bleed issues. It is the only "stage" that affects about 3-4 other stages. There needs to be a way to direct the sound further away from the tents and other stages. Also, go back to an open atmosphere. The purple tent did nothing but prevent anyone from seeing the entire polo field. Kinda an eyesore. It did provide great shade for people but there has to be a way to create shaded areas without covering up the entire Do Lab.

Creators Project - Brilliant. Never stop using them.

Don't try and sell any more tickets than you did this year. Rarely did I feel that it was crowded (unless I was really close) and it was very easy to get from stage to stage.
    Last edited by shotglass75; 04-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: Change this, don't change that

I thought the Do-Lab design was much improved. I don't think it bled over too much to Mojave/Gobi, but it did seem like sound bleed was more of an issue this year than last. Stages were larger, sound systems obviously bigger, but I felt there was more bleed to the Outdoor from the main. The Gobi got it from three sides, from the Do-Lab, the tape truck, and Mojave. Phantogram was basically inaudible, and Scala was getting a lot of interference, even though we were super close.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Phantogram was basically inaudible
    This was really depressing :/

Either dump the Pure Filth stage or completely overhaul it. That stage seemed completely half-assed.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 04-19-2011 at 05:19 AM.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Either dump the Pure Filth stage over completely overhaul it. That stage seemed completely half-assed.
    this ^ ... i walked over and was not impressed, someone needs to rethink/redesign

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Either dump the Pure Filth stage over completely overhaul it. That stage seemed completely half-assed.
    Plus, it was the most brutal stage to be at during the day... Was dying from the sun beating down on me during High Contrast.

food court design was great this year

easy entrances from all sides plus a large shaded place to eat

One thing I'd suggest changing: wristband design. the benefit of the cloth wristband over the plastic ones, from a comfort standpoint at least, was completely negated by that damned clasp. Scratchy as hell. Made it pretty irritating over the course of the three and a half days we needed to wear it. (that said, I think the switch to cloth + the RFID is great, it's just the clasp that was an issue)

The only change I can think of right now is making this an event that happens more than once a year.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

how about GV gets sound guys who aren't mentally handicapped. My friend and I left black keys early (one of the sets I was most looking forward to) because the sound was so butchered.

Although the speakers at the front of the outdoor stage for the people in the front row were fucking rad. put those in all the other tents please.

Lose the dome?

Dome was so much fun. this is the first year i was more impressed by the music/energy in the do lab and dome than the sahara
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

You guys do realize this is a festival and there will always be some sound bleed from somewhere, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

you need to learn to love the sound bleed
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    You guys do realize this is a festival and there will always be some sound bleed from somewhere, right?
    this.

Honestly, I found that the bleed wasn't really bad at all for any of the stages... sure if you're walking in between them, or at a beer garden near one of them bleed should be expected. But if you were actually at any of the stages, it wasn't really a problem at all.

I would dearly love designated smoking areas, but I doubt that would be all that enforceable.

One or two more Hydration Stations would be nice. And another Recharge Bar (or make the one more efficient).

Quote Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
    I would dearly love designated smoking areas, but I doubt that would be all that enforceable.

One or two more Hydration Stations would be nice. And another Recharge Bar (or make the one more efficient).
    I used the recharge bar once, on Sunday, around 6PM. Picking up the phone was quick and easy... dropping it off on the other hand took forever. Why? Was it cause the line was ridiculously long? no... it was cause the girl who was taking phones was too busy walking away from her station and talking to people... I mean, I'm a pretty patient person... but there was no excuse for that!

More showers!!!!

More toilets by the sahara please.

Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    you need to learn to love the sound bleed
    This.
    Honestly, I like sitting down and taking breaks in areas with intersecting sound bleed. I've never had a sound bleed issue that wasn't solved by going a little deeper in the crowd.

Outdoor
    Theater
    shade
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Security searches got a little too thorough this year. Opening every tiny little pouch and pack of gum in a bag seemed a little excessive in the 2nd and 3rd day. Did the ferris wheel incident cause the escalation of the searches?

I don't know, but my stash was discovered on Saturday....he asked what it was, I was honest and told him, and he put it back in my bag and told me to have a good time.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    The only change I can think of right now is making this an event that happens more than once a year.
    This.

I loved this year. They completely fixed everything I had issues with last year. It was pointed out to me, however, that the spotlights didn't move like they did in 08 and 10. I miss those. I was too awestruck by the festival to notice until late last night, when it was mentioned to me by someone else. I also didn't like being a 20 minute walk from all of my other friend's campsites, though, but that's Continental Airlines' fault for making me miss my flight and arriving late.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    Security searches got a little too thorough this year. Opening every tiny little pouch and pack of gum in a bag seemed a little excessive in the 2nd and 3rd day. Did the ferris wheel incident cause the escalation of the searches?
    I just got a basic pat down. I was even allowed to bring in the filled water bottle they caught me sneaking in.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Outdoor
    Theater
    shade
    This and for the main stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
    THIS! I fucking hate people that smoke and completely blow it all over the people in front of them. I almost had an asthma attack last year because of all the 2nd hand smoke I had to inhale.

Awesome things this year (I THINK all these were new)

-Screens at every stage was great. I know some people don't like them because it draws the eye away from the stage. But I found that if I was close enough to see the stage, I didn't look at them, and if I wasn't, I was thankful for them. Also, some bands really put them to great use. (Aquabat's video show was insane.)

-The new signs in front of the food stands...easy to read all your options without having to walk by them all.

-Well marked street signs in the campgrounds along with a map. (Just put them on both sides of the poles next time.) Also, the slanted streets were great if you were in that area...having them all lead to the entrance was neat.

-Just in general, they finally came up with a "lobby" area that worked, with just lockers, merch and information.

-Was it my imagination, or did the beer garden fence between the Outdoor and Main come out more? It let you actually view either stage fairly well from within the garden.

-Darker campgrounds! Almost too dark, but I'll be prepared next year. This isn't really "new", just a return to form.

-No reason for me to go to the Sahara! I know some people were unhappy by the schedule, but I enjoyed never having to trek down there. All of the acts I would have normally gone to the Sahara to see were in the Mojave or Gobi.

-Using the old Gobi as food court seating...brilliant and thrifty.

-Newcastle Brown Ale!

And a few minor complaints/suggestions...

-As great as the Terrace area was, I miss being able to listen to (or watch, in the case of the Outdoor) a set while eating dinner. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, though Also, there were a lot of picnic tables still out in the sun even though there was room for more on the grass under the tent. No one wants to sit in the sun any more than necessary, and the majority of people eating on the grass do it because there are no tables, not because they choose to.

-The dome placement still seemed...weird. Also, The Do Lab was constantly packed, while the one time I checked the dome, it was virtually empty. I'm sure that changed later on, but are both really necessary? I'm probably not the guy to ask. Also, I usually go in the Do Lab once or twice even though I'm not into the music, but this year's design was not inviting. I felt like there were just 1000 people who holed up in there all weekend and it just felt like someone else's club that was plopped in the way and bled Ntzzz all over the main stage.

There's more, but I'm falling asleep...

I really enjoyed the cameras being pointed outside towards the mountains while stages were being changed.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

My only beef was with the Do Lab this year. It was such a bitch to go get wet in there. Had to push your way through the crowd to get blasted with the 2 or 3 water guns they had going up in the front. The water-shooting pillar things that were outside didn't work for most of the day on the first day, and when they started working again, they were aimed towards people walking past the Lab. I simultaneously felt like a dick for squirting people who didn't want to get wet and disappointed for not being able to quickly get wet and nasty. Last year it was easy to get drenched.

Oh well, still a great year.

The dome needs some more shade and grass, the plywood floor felt really gross after being on the grass all day. The netting and leaf ceiling did not cut it for afternoon sets, the heat was intolerable. Or get some water sprayers for the dome like the do lab. I really overall like the new food court area.