View Poll Results: Did you approve of the 2011 Lineup?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve – I love it!

98 64.47%
  • Approve – It's OK

31 20.39%
  • Average

16 10.53%
  • I Disapprove

5 3.29%
  • I'm Disgusted

2 1.32%

Thread: ~~ Official 2011 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ APRIL (POST fest) VERSION

Default ~~ Official 2011 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ APRIL (POST fest) VERSION

Please vote in the APRIL version of the Official Coachella 2011 Lineup Approval Rating

How does the approval rating of the lineup change over time? Scale is 1 – 5, and I will publish the weighted average in each of the subsequent polls.

Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 05-02-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Default Re: ~~ Official 2011 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ APRIL (POST fest) VERSION

Even with the greatest performance I will probably ever see (Arcade Fire), Coache11a was meh for me in comparison to past lineups. The amount of late performers and disappointing performances from subheadliners made it even worse.

Default Re: ~~ Official 2011 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ APRIL (POST fest) VERSION

Best Coachella in years. Kudos, Goldenvoice.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Even with the greatest performance I will probably ever see (Arcade Fire), Coache11a was meh for me in comparison to past lineups. The amount of late performers and disappointing performances from subheadliners made it even worse.
    Coache11a was the best in years if you took the time to find the hidden gems in the undercard. You must not have. So many solid up-and-coming bands that annihilated the crowds this weekend.

^^^ agreed. If you couldn't find something awesome at any time, you clearly weren't looking hard enough. There were 7 stages after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandemind View Post
    Coache11a was the best in years if you took the time to find the hidden gems in the undercard. You must not have. So many solid up-and-coming bands that annihilated the crowds this weekend.
    Yes, this is so true.

Quote Originally Posted by foaminjectedaxlrose View Post
    ^^^ agreed. If you couldn't find something awesome at any time, you clearly weren't looking hard enough. There were 7 stages after all.
    How do you figure when I saw at least 13 acts on Friday and 11 acts each on Sat and Sun? Are you suggesting I skip the bands I'm actually familiar with and at least partly interested in to walk around and look for some people who might be randomly rocking? Obviously over three quarters of what I saw is from the undercard anyways, so I don't really get the point.

I had an awesome time, I'm just very disappointed with the lineup in general. I think it becomes a problem when most of your headliners/subheadliners are either apathetic/unengaging (strokes, interpol, DFA, Bright Eyes) or poppy and undeserving of their popularity (Mumford, KoL, Black Keys). Those are simply my interpretations and you're welcome to agree or disagree. Throw in the fact that so many artists were late and didn't seem to care and I'm just not fully satisfied with the venue this year.

You shouldn't assume just because someone has a different opinion than you they must have automatically done something wrong. People have different tastes in music, and I just hope that next year GV appeals more to the fans that appreciate intimate performers like Arcade Fire, The National, and Elbow, and older, more timeless bands as well. In 2010 we had a plethora of such amazing acts (Devo, LCD Soundsystem, Public Image Limited, Fever Ray, Thom Yorke, Jonsi, Pavement, Dirty Projectors, Spoon, Lrd Claypool, The Avett Brothers, Matt and Kim, Beach House, and more), this year there were only a few for me.

I think that this year had the most mediocre lineup of any year I've gone (since 2005). There were some good sets, and I did have a good time (mostly), but there was something lacking.

Sunday was packed, but there were long gaps with nothing interesting going on Friday and Saturday. I did try, but ending up walking away from many acts as they were lackluster. In past years I usually found something just by walking around.

This is the first year I didn't step foot in the Sahara. What was up with putting so many electronic artists on other stages? Chemical Brothers, Presets, Crystal Castles among others...

It's sad when the majority of the bands that are interesting are bands you've seen, possibly multiple times, and most of the bands you check out seem *meh*.

Although Saturday was a really mellow boring day at some points, I've learned to just enjoy the FESTIVAL. Your favorite artist can always disappoint you, keeping the bar so high for expectations can really ruin a vibe when a band/dj have a low point in their set.

EXPLORE and DANCE. That's what this festival has become for me.

I have been fortunate enough to witness and experience some of the most awesome live music that has been around for the last 16 years (I be 27 now). As this festival used to be a condenser of the best bands into a one weekend show, now its a group ritual of friends who don't live close by.

I hope all of you are able to reach that point one day if you are not there. If you have to, go by yourself, go without fear and go gonzo. Dr. Thompson would have wanted it that way.

PlayaDelWes.

Lumbergh didn't have you come in yesterday to complete April's TPS report?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Although Saturday was a really mellow boring day at some points, I've learned to just enjoy the FESTIVAL. Your favorite artist can always disappoint you, keeping the bar so high for expectations can really ruin a vibe when a band/dj have a low point in their set.

EXPLORE and DANCE. That's what this festival has become for me.

I have been fortunate enough to witness and experience some of the most awesome live music that has been around for the last 16 years (I be 27 now). As this festival used to be a condenser of the best bands into a one weekend show, now its a group ritual of friends who don't live close by.

I hope all of you are able to reach that point one day if you are not there. If you have to, go by yourself, go without fear and go gonzo. Dr. Thompson would have wanted it that way.
    True, but this thread is just about the lineup.

Looking back on 2011, after it's out of recent memory and doing several more Coachellas down the road, will I think of 2011 as a top 3 line-up, even top-5 in it's history? Not a chance. Headliners - par at best (Arcade Fire the only memorable show unless you include the Chemical Brothers), Sahara - sub par. The drops weren't too many this year but disappointing, while the adds were boring. There were some highlights in the undercard but not enough to give it an A or a strong B. And yea, the set delays/sets getting cut short were not the line-up's fault (edit: well I guess it was in Cee Lo's case) but won't help my memories of this year.
    Last edited by flowbee; 05-01-2011 at 12:37 PM.

The delays and short sets were very frustrating for me this year.

I agree that this is the weakest overall lineup since I have been going (2006). However, that did not translate into the weakest Coachella for me, far from it, this is actually my favorite Coachella ever, though I seem to say that every year. The headliners did not deserve there spots (except Arcade Fire), there were no huge adds, or Daft Punk level breakthrough performances. Overall though there were far more bands I wanted to see each day than possible and fortunately the set times worked out in such a way that I had very little gaps where nothing was going on (and really you NEED at least a few short ones to eat, rest, do lab during the day etc). Alot of what made this my favorite were people I was with and met there and the fact that we did Coachella right, meaning rested and not zombies, taking substances at the right times, making all the sets and getting good spots and then raging all night the last day. With 7 stages and the lineup we were given I saw some amazing acts on every stage and enjoyed every single show I saw (sans Glasser, for some reason she just seemed really awkward to me, but I still love her recorded material and Jimmy Eat World, it just isn't the same as being in middle school haha!). So yeah, overall the headliners weren't up to par, but Coachella was above par for me at least. I saw PJ Harvey, The Presets, Nosaj Thing and Sasha instead and couldn't have had a better time of it.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    THIS. I noticed more late starts and short endings this year than any other previous year

Quitter

Topped last year for me thanks to the Pure Filth Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    this was really the only thing that frustrated me this year. I feel like some of my favorite artists were forced to play shortened or just plain short sets. pissed me off.

erykah badu is a screaming example. who fucking cuts off badu...

What pissed me off the most was that she officially had one minute to go when they cut her off.

Welcome to Erica’s 49 minute Coachella set. Why only 49 minutes? Cause if the man gave her any more, it would be considered welfare!!!

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

They cut her off in the middle of a song. I understand wanting to keep the set times strict for setting up purposes, but I don't know, I was disappointed.

More or less final at 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    I agree that making readable posts is overrated.
    Clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

...and I'm just not fully satisfied with the venue this year.
    I'd like a clarification on this.

This. Coache11a 5 for me was utterly amazing. I wouldn't trade it for anything

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Are you suggesting I skip the bands I'm actually familiar with and at least partly interested in to walk around and look for some people who might be randomly rocking?
    yes

In 2009 was there an obvious reason for the pre-fest leap in approval?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Maas View Post
    In 2009 was there an obvious reason for the pre-fest leap in approval?
    Yep pretty obvious reason in March

http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/0...recy-and-more/