Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between '10 and '11

Default Differences between '10 and '11

I just got back and wanted to share some observations around the horn. I haven't read a single thread on here since returning so I wouldn't taint my own sentiments right now, but I'd obviously like to hear your thoughts on some of these.

1. There were a BUNCH of hit-song omissions from bands, and I didn't really understand why. The Chem Bros and Block Rockin' Beats, Animal Collective and My Girls, The Drums and Down by the Water, Cold Cave and Life Magazine, Elbow and Switching Off, Tallest Man On Earth and Wild Hunt (and Kids on the Run and Like the Wheel), The National and Runaway... there were many more that I'm not thinking of, but I found it quite odd and upsetting.

2. While Arcade Fire put up the best show I will probably ever see in my life (and perhaps one that will go down in history? I haven't checked the boards or the media on it, but this is how I felt), I was disappointed with a number of the acts that I was most excited for and thus made the experience a lot less memorable than last year's. Some disappointments for me were Animal Collective (I thought it was miserable), Cee Lo (I think everyone would agree that this was a very poor performance), The Strokes, Death From Above 1979 (though my friends loved it and I'm sure some did here), Interpol (though I guess I half expected this)... it's too bad because the bands I don't care for and skipped supposedly rocked, like Black Keys and Kings of Leon. It's weird to think about last year's and have such a hard time making a list for my favorite acts, as there was at least 8 ones that just blew me away. This year there were a only a few of these for me, personally.

3. It was A LOT easier to get to the front for big events this year. Last year I literally skipped Thom Yorke to try to get as good seats for Gorillaz as possible and still was three times as far back as I was for Kanye AND Arcade Fire this year (almost the rail for both, and only started moving forward after the previous sets). It seemed generally more crowded at night however, so I almost want to attribute this to the fans just being a whole lot more stupid (and douchey; almost beat the shit out of a handful of assholes a few different occasions) in not even caring as much about seeing the artists in the first place.

some more arbitrary ones...

3. It seemed a lot darker at night than it did last year, did anyone else notice that? There also seemed to be light and sound issues at nearly every single set, though I heard others saying it was more coordinated this year...? I never really cared about it, save for the new Sahara lights not working on Friday night during Sasha's set (this really pissed me off, as I was excited to see them in effect for Sasha since he was the only EDM act I was going to see in the Sahara all weekend)

4. A lot more late appearances by artists and shortened sets than last year. I wouldn't have minded had the artists minded themselves, but most seemed nonchalant about it.

5. I didn't think I'd write this, but I missed the 15 dollar water bottles and the surplus of water stations from last year. It's shitty to think about how much trash we produced from all of those bottles when we could have just had the same system of last year and saved thousands of tons of plastic.

Here's some personal lists while I'm at it:

Biggest expectation exceeders:
    1. Lauryn Hill
    2. Delorean
    3. Crystal Castles (I don't even like them, but damn...)
    4. Nas (whenever DM would not interfere)
    5. Robyn

Failed to meet my expectations:
    1. Animal Collective
    2. Cee Lo
    3. The Strokes
    4. Death From Above 1979
    5. Interpol

Favorite sets:
    1. Arcade Fire
    2. Elbow
    3. Lauryn Hill
    4. The National
    5. Kanye West (beginning was absolutely flawless but thought he kind of blew his load too early after the first three songs; I'm not familiar with most of the middle setlist too though so perhaps this was just my fault. Ended nicely though, and having Pusha T show up was MONEY)
    6. Chemical Brothers
    7. Delorean
    8. Crystal Castles
    9. Robyn
    10. Joy Formidable

Thanks for letting me get all of this off my mind, had to document it!

Default Re: Differences between '10 and '11

I also should note that Odd Future would be atop my disappointment list but I don't think it's fair to list them since I left after only the second song. I felt a bit underwhelmed with Sandwiches and the second song was just fucking awful so I bounced, though I was in the back and heard that it was a great time in the front.

Does anyone know if the set got any better?

- From the webcasts you could tell that Arcade Fire was putting on a legendary show. The power and energy they put into their performance, the ordering of the setlist (never seen them put Rebellion (Lies) so early to spark the plug with a bang), the out-of-nowhere happy birthday singing from the crowd, the incredible light up balls coming from the sky during Wake Up then lighting up during the encore songs, the little tidbits from Win about how important of show this was for them, etc. As I have stated previously, I've seen AF live a handful of times, including once at Coachella in 07, but by their third song I knew this show was going to be different and was going to be one for the history books. Absolutely incredible...VERY ANGRY I missed it live.

-Was Julian Casablancas drunk during the Strokes set??? From the webcasts it seemed like he was slurring his songs and mumbling between songs. They would of been one of my top acts of the weekend to see if I went this year, but from the webcasts it seemed like it was a medicore performance at best. I was surprised to see people put them as one of the top 5 best acts of the weekend in the other threads.

-I too noticed from the webcasts that seemingly 50% of the acts were late or there were some type of technical issues that had to be shored up. This has never been a problem in previous Coachellas.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    - From the webcasts you could tell that Arcade Fire was putting on a legendary show. The power and energy they put into their performance, the ordering of the setlist (never seen them put Rebellion (Lies) so early to spark the plug with a bang), the out-of-nowhere happy birthday singing from the crowd, the incredible light up balls coming from the sky during Wake Up then lighting up during the encore songs, the little tidbits from Win about how important of show this was for them, etc. As I have stated previously, I've seen AF live a handful of times, including once at Coachella in 07, but by their third song I knew this show was going to be different and was going to be one for the history books. Absolutely incredible...VERY ANGRY I missed it live.

-Was Julian Casablancas drunk during the Strokes set??? From the webcasts it seemed like he was slurring his songs and mumbling between songs. They would of been one of my top acts of the weekend to see if I went this year, but from the webcasts it seemed like it was a medicore performance at best. I was surprised to see people put them as one of the top 5 best acts of the weekend in the other threads.

-I too noticed from the webcasts that seemingly 50% of the acts were late or there were some type of technical issues that had to be shored up. This has never been a problem in previous Coachellas.
    I'm so happy you agree. Honestly, now that I'm reading the rest of these threads, I find it absolutely mind blowing that other people aren't giving that performance more love... I mean, like you said, when Rebellion came on so early I looked at my sister and just said "oh my god, this is going to be fucking insane" and it just kept getting better and better... when the balls slowly descended onto me in the front middle, I remember thinking "This is the happiest moment of my life...". The balls represented the song and the set and the band so perfectly: holding onto the heart and spirit of our youth. And Win's voice sounded AMAZING! I had written on these boards earlier that I wasn't as excited for AF as I should be (even though they're one of my favorite bands) simply because I don't care for his voice live, but it sounded completely clearer and even hit a lot of the higher octaves he usually doesn't try for. I wish you could've been there with me, it was amazing... i'm going to watch them all again right now on youtube (or is there a better place to watch them?)

Casablancas mentioned alcohol a few times in general, but I didn't know if he was just drunk or being as self indulgent as ever in his "i'm so sexy and talented" act. The way he was all apathetic and too cool for school really bugged me, and the "just play the song, whatever" routine got old. I was like "I get it, you don't care, neither do I now". But I'm happy a lot on here enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    I also should note that Odd Future would be atop my disappointment list but I don't think it's fair to list them since I left after only the second song. I felt a bit underwhelmed with Sandwiches and the second song was just fucking awful so I bounced, though I was in the back and heard that it was a great time in the front.

Does anyone know if the set got any better?
    I listened to about 75% of their set before I had to leave. They were everything that's wrong about live Hip Hop.

Also, why so many damn hype-men this year? The guy at Magnetic Man shoulde been yanked off the stage. Then again, so should have Magnetic Man with their terrible performance.

Best Performance Of The Weekend = Chromeo.

Why was Crystal Castles so good?

Quote Originally Posted by kushwig View Post
    They were everything that's wrong about live Hip Hop.
    Couldn't agree more. This is the same reason I have not seen Wu Tang live yet, even though they might very well be my favorite musical act of all time; I just don't want to be disappointed when everyone's just running around out of breath and fucking up their own shit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Why was Crystal Castles so good?
    Alice or whatever (don't remember her name) was just out of this world, dude. Ask anyone who caught it... I was just walking by to go to the beergarden in what was my only break between bands for the day, and then they started. The first song was just absorbing with the beautiful red lights and the smoke, and then she comes out of nowhere through the smoke like some sexual demon from hell or something. I can't really explain it, but she was just going crazy and realllllly feeling the moments.

I thought it was absurd to book them at the Outdoor that late when I first saw the setlist, as I think they're pretty mundane and meh in general and don't have toooo big a following. But goddamn was I wrong... apparently she can do some really fantastic shit when she feels up to it.

Completely agree about Crystal Castles. I went and checked them out of a pure recommendation from a friend. Got pretty close and was blown the eff away. Funny thing is...I don't think I understood one lyric the entire show but it was pretty impressive overall.

Arcade Fire made me feel like a kid again. I've never danced so much at a rock show and I can't remember the last time being so happy in general. I thought something special was going on that night. It makes me feel good to see so many people feel the same sentiment. After every song a rush of cool air would sweep by. Dammit the polo fields are such an amazing place at night.

Chromeo was an absolute dance party. Whenever I looked around (which wasn't much...too busy dancing) there wasn't a single person not getting down. Such a pleasant surprise on Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeoley View Post
    Arcade Fire made me feel like a kid again. .
    This pretty much sums up my sentiments as well. During Wake Up I actually thought to myself "I absolutely NEED to get a tattoo to remind myself of this moment, something about being a kid forever..."

I'm gonna do it too.

Arcade Fire playing Wake Up is going to be one of my favorite memories in life. Absolutely beautiful.

I don't think I can even read most of what you posted, after you revealed in a paragraph your sentiments on Arcade Fire. I was there. Animal Collective fucking killed it. They should have headlined, being opened by those snot shooting cunts Arcade Fire. That was seriously one of the weakest shows all weekend. I'm glad that you guys had fun there, and I didn't mind catching a few of their songs, before realizing that the night had actually ended upon completion of Animal Collective's set and wandering back to my tent. Just like on Sunday, The Strokes and PJ closing out the night, while Kanye was blowing his top for another hour after everyone (with sense) had already evacuated. Just like Crystal Castles killing it Friday night before Chemical Brothers pulled out an epic forty-minute-late appearance to boldly close out my night while I zipped my tent up, drained the last of the night's beer, and passed out. This, without a doubt in my mind, was the worst year for closing bands. Moving Units at 2:30? That was the most idiotic move I can think of regarding set times. They deserved at least an hour long night time set. Bright Eyes should have been the headlining act on Saturday. I can't stress that enough. Considering they didn't miss a beat, played some old hits, played some new, I'm still stoked to have seen them.... BUT THEY'RE THE ONLY REAL HEADLINING ACT THAT PLAYED ON SATURDAY!!!! Have you ever heard of Arcade Fire being compared to Dylan? Maybe, if you read idiot-drivel. Conor Oberst.... not Bright Eyes, but ONE MEMBER of the band Bright Eyes, has been compared numerous times to Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and is considered to be one of the greatest living songwriters (by some, tehe). It's pretty insulting that they put Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu on during the day. Lauryn Hill fucking sucked, so I suppose that didn't matter.... but Badu put her raping shoes on, and walked to Fuckyouinyourear Town, in the heat. I never understood why great acts would be placed in retarded time slots. It'd be like putting Paul McCartney on before Arctic Monkeys. Michael Jackson opening for Justin Timberlake. Seriously, Pail Toilet needs to get on that horn you spoke of. Maybe put his ear to the ground (the story's in the soil), and give the people who pay for these tickets, the people who walk over a mile from tent to venue, the people who're going to eventually stop going to things like this, the chance to voice their opinions. Yeah, I was actually dead tired from walking so fucking much by the time the headliners rolled through, so I wasn't really too disappointed in them sucking and being extremely late like it's the right of the "artist." Yes, it's up to me to fix it. You, and me, and I. If Beardyman wants to allow DJ Whothefuck? to play an extra five to ten minutes into his set, okay. That's Beardyman not being a prick. That's DJ Wheredidthiswiperofasscomefrom? being a prick for thinking that people were digging his set like dirt. Me, personally? I don't care how hard Kanye bounces to the beat. I still enjoy quite a few of his tunes, and was happy to hear Gold Digger, in an odd way, BUT I'M NOT PAYING FOR POMPOUS BULLSHIT. Why would I pay for it when I can write it out, and post it freely on the internet, or read any of you doing the same? There's no fashionably late when people are burnt out and just wanting one good last show. I just heard on the radio that Cee Lo Green was over thirty minutes late to his set, and Coachella told him they didn't need them. Funny.... not how I heard it from the people who were there. "Cee Lo had a super short set. He came out, played a couple songs, then got mad and left." Now Coachella is the man for sticking it to the artist? If they didn't want him to play, no one would have seen him. This is just another instance of how GV is a fucking nazi. How appropriate. I may go next year, after I've had time to cool off, let the blisters heal, and forget the negatives in favor of the great shows I did indeed attend. Slightly ignorant on my behalf for not reading the entirety of your initial post, but I hope this list of man-bitches I'm compiled will help you with your e-bitching compilation.

P.S. Crystal Castles was fucking amazing... and I'm pretty sure it's because they turned Alice's mic down. I saw them in '09, and it was total shit. Her mic was turned way higher than the music (yes, much like Kanye West's unforgettably gay performance last night), and she was doing more unintelligible screaming than anything else. I had heard that they'd gotten better since '09, and decided to believe in the hype (considering my options????? duh) and check their show out. One of the best acts of the weekend.

I'm so happy you agree. Honestly, now that I'm reading the rest of these threads, I find it absolutely mind blowing that other people aren't giving that performance more love... I mean, like you said, when Rebellion came on so early I looked at my sister and just said "oh my god, this is going to be fucking insane" and it just kept getting better and better... when the balls slowly descended onto me in the front middle, I remember thinking "This is the happiest moment of my life...". The balls represented the song and the set and the band so perfectly: holding onto the heart and spirit of our youth. And Win's voice sounded AMAZING! I had written on these boards earlier that I wasn't as excited for AF as I should be (even though they're one of my favorite bands) simply because I don't care for his voice live, but it sounded completely clearer and even hit a lot of the higher octaves he usually doesn't try for. I wish you could've been there with me, it was amazing... i'm going to watch them all again right now on youtube (or is there a better place to watch them?)

Casablancas mentioned alcohol a few times in general, but I didn't know if he was just drunk or being as self indulgent as ever in his "i'm so sexy and talented" act. The way he was all apathetic and too cool for school really bugged me, and the "just play the song, whatever" routine got old. I was like "I get it, you don't care, neither do I now". But I'm happy a lot on here enjoyed it.
    Definitely brotha. When the lineup cameout in mid January I was extremely disappointed with the artists, but then I slowly got into many of the artists I wasnt too familiar with (Strokes, Foster the People, Afrojack, Trentmoller, Nosaj Thing...etc.), and from the webcast it seemed like there were "for the history book" performances with Arcade Fire and Kanye West in particular.

On the webcasts you could tell that the members from AF were extra happy and excited to be performing, which I had never seen the the last couple of times I've seen them. They were definitely giving it their all this time around.

Julian Casablancas was definitely drunk...you could tell from the way he was moving his body and his slurring. At least thats how it seemed on the webcast. One of the other members was drinking beer throughout the performance too (the bassist?).

You should definitely checkout Wu Tang live man? They're incredible in a live setting. I saw them at Rock the Bells and they were REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by emllik View Post
    Funny stuff in need of paragraphs
    Thanks for your thoughts, some funny stuff. It's crazy how oppositional our opinions are; you liked The Strokes, Animal Collective, Badu and others that I disliked while disliking Lauryn, Arcade Fire, Kanye, and some others that I particularly liked. I also think comparing Oberst to Dylan is a bit absurd, but funny given the context of your acerbic tone.
    Last edited by JamesMills; 04-18-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Lauryn Hill fucking sucked
    This one sentence invalidates anything else you might have said in that rambling rant. I'm pretty sure Lauryn Hill was my favorite set of the weekend.

Here, this is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    You should definitely checkout Wu Tang live man? They're incredible in a live setting. I saw them at Rock the Bells and they were REALLY good.
    Yeah, I surely will one of these years. Thing is even when I was in my early teens and OBSESSED with hiphop, I still didn't care for going to live performances (outside of the super smooth mcs ala Mos Def). It's just so hard for a hiphop group to pull off a hyped show without coming off crummy and exhausted. Outkast used to be able to pull it off when I was younger and, to a more reserved extent, Kanye held his own in this regard this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This one sentence invalidates anything else you might have said in that rambling rant. I'm pretty sure Lauryn Hill was my favorite set of the weekend.

Here, this is for you.

Exactly. Lauryn Hill was one of the better sets of the weekend. I don't get how anyone can say she "sucked".
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I dunno. I think I'm with James on this one.

Plus, with ODB gone you can't truly get a Wu experience. He wasn't one the best rappers in the group, but he was every bit as hyped as any of the Odd Future kids.

I've seen quite a bit of Rap in my day, from Ice-T and Ice Cube at Lollapalooza's (back when they were relevant) and even though I've been a fan since a kid, it's really hard to do a live rap show that's better than a well-produced album played on a good system.

One of the rare recent exceptions-- Snoop Dogg with his Funk Band. He's managed to switch his style up in a way that avoids some of the pitfalls of live Rap concerts.

I don't know if Julian Casablanca was drunk, I think he was just trying too hard to play the whole "look at how little I give a shit" card.

Some disappointments for me were Animal Collective (I thought it was miserable), Cee Lo (I think everyone would agree that this was a very poor performance), The Strokes, Death From Above 1979 (though my friends loved it and I'm sure some did here), Interpol (though I guess I half expected this)
    I pretty much agree with this. I left DFA79 and Interpol because I was bored. I left Cee Lo before he started because who's got time for that shit? AC was ok though I thought the video graphics were really mundane. The Strokes weren't really a disappointment because I didnt' expect much from them, they're kind of a flat live band in my experience. Their set didn't make me leave though, it was pleasant enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Exactly. Lauryn Hill was one of the better sets of the weekend. I don't get how anyone can say she "sucked".
    Sorry I missed that one. Saw her on her Mis-Eduction tour and she was great.

It sounds like the meltdown everyone was expecting her to have, actually happened to Cee-Lo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    I don't know if Julian Casablanca was drunk, I think he was just trying too hard to play the whole "look at how little I give a shit" card.

He was doing to much, and by that, I mean he came off as a tit.

Quote Originally Posted by kushwig View Post
    Sorry I missed that one. Saw her on her Mis-Eduction tour and she was great.

It sounds like the meltdown everyone was expecting her to have, actually happened to Cee-Lo.
    Lauryn hill killed it on stage. When she broke out old Fugees' tracks that sealed the deal for me. One of my favorite sets of the weekend. The only slight gripe was that she didn't stick around until Sunday to do "If I ruled the world" with Nas, but I am sure she had something else already scheduled and couldn't be there.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I don't think I can even read most of what you posted, after you revealed in a paragraph your sentiments on Arcade Fire. I was there. Animal Collective fucking killed it................
    Are you fucking kidding me??? I read about two paragraphs (if you had used the motherfucking return key) worth of your nonsense then stopped because of how ridiculous it was.This guy MUST be trolling...Animal Collective and Bright Eyes should of been the headliners....thats laughable. This must be a "joke" post.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Lauryn hill killed it on stage. When she broke out old Fugees' tracks that sealed the deal for me. One of my favorite sets of the weekend. The only slight gripe was that she didn't stick around until Sunday to do "If I ruled the world" with Nas, but I am sure she had something else already scheduled and couldn't be there.
    I was super bummed about this as well. I didn't think Nas would even play it unless she was going to come out for it, so I was extra bummed for having my hopes up when it started...

Why were so many people disappointed with The Strokes? I don't think Julian was drunk. That's just how his stage presence is. He went through his drunken years already as a young man in his 20's.

I thought they absolutely nailed every song. The only reason it wasn't just as good as the Outside Lands set is due to the crowd. I thought overall people were pretty lame and non-responsive to many of the songs (even the big hits like You Only Live Once and Last Nite). At Outside Lands, I had never seen so many people going so crazy over a band just simply playing their songs with no crazy show or anything.

It was one of my favorite sets of the weekend. Mind you, from around 7 PM till the end of the night for all three nights I was rolling haha. Still, I can distinguish everything pretty well.
    -Zach

Animal Collective and My Girls...
    And this would be why you didn't enjoy their set.

Quote Originally Posted by thetonio View Post
    And this would be why you didn't enjoy their set.
    Not even close, I don't really like that song particularly all that much. I was actually just stoked we got Did You See the Words?, that might be my favorite track ever by AC.

I was more upset at the fact that it really seemed like they were trying their best to make the whole experience miserably unlistenable, as if it was some sort of statement. Ugh, I'm getting pissed just thinking about this again...
    Last edited by JamesMills; 04-19-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zachyd View Post
    At Outside Lands, I had never seen so many people going so crazy over a band just simply playing their songs with no crazy show or anything.
    For sure, the crowd was definitely into it. Perhaps I'm just not as big a fan of theirs as I thought I was. I mean, I always say that Is This It? is one of my favs of the 00's, but even then it's more of a relaxing relationship that I have with it opposed to one tha gets me excited or anything. And outside of that album, there are only a few songs I even like by them.

And all of this was exacerbated by the fact that they had that whole "i'm so talented and awesome that it's ridiculous, you lucky shitheads" attitude. I actually think the fact that the audience was indulging this routine got me a little ticked too.

I would agree about the Strokes being solid but not overwhelming. Julian amused me just because it was just part of the act. While it wasn't my favorite of the weekend they did play Reptilia and Take it or Leave it so I walked away giving it a thumbs up.
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit