Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GV, please open up 51st and Monroe to bikes

Hybrid View

Thumbs down GV, please open up 51st and Monroe to bikes

Edit: I'm bring this thread back, because of the problems the closure of 51st caused for bicyclists last year (see below, but to sum up, we all had to ride through parking lots with snarls of cars and sandy, crowded pedestrian paths. In the past, 51st was open and provided smooth sailing to the festival entrance.

This part of the new FAQ had me especially curious:
    Please be advised, there will be NO festival access for pedestrians along Monroe Street between Avenue 49 and Avenue 52.
    Does that mean no bikes down that way either or can we still ride down that way? All the people staying in Indian Palms will be pretty screwed if we have to make an even longer detour.

Thank you GV/PF if you are reading this and taking it under consideration with the relevant traffic authorities. I now return you to the original thread...

Having to go on bike around through the day lots and up the narrow, sandy trail packed with walkers sucks. You've made bikechella way worse. Reopen 51st on the east side to bikers and make it safer for bikers and walkers alike!
    Last edited by mofomofo; 01-12-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: reminding GV of the mess they made for bikes last yr

Default Re: GV, please open up 51st and Monroe to bikes

...so they can get hit by cars biking home? I'm pretty sure the Indio PD made this call because they don't want 30,000 exhausted drivers dodging bikes on a dark highway at 1:00 am.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofmothera View Post
    ...so they can get hit by cars biking home? I'm pretty sure the Indio PD made this call because they don't want 30,000 exhausted drivers dodging bikes on a dark highway at 1:00 am.
    You clearly don't know what you're talking about, considering all traffic on Monroe was blocked. It's the absolute safest street to let pedestrians and bikers out onto. Instead, they told us that if we wanted to go to Monroe, WE HAD TO EXIT OUT OF THE PARKING LOT WHERE THE CARS WERE EXITING. How is that safer than letting us go down an empty street?

I know that the city of Indio's police department is the one that is responsible for traffic control, but it would be nice if they could organize it so that the bikers and walkers had a way out that was safe.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by mofomofo View Post
    Having to go on bike around through the day lots and up the narrow, sandy trail packed with walkers sucks. You've made bikechella way worse. Reopen 51st on the east side to bikers and make it safer for bikers and walkers alike!
    thank you. i'm a walker and now my walk back is an hour. guess they want us to drive?
    05,06,07,08,09,10,11, 12 #1, 13 #1

Yep. We are staying less than a mile from the venue, but with the new pedestrian routing the walk in becomes almost three miles. We are now driving the rest of the weekend.

tell me, where do all the bikes come from? i see them as i am walking out. do people bring their bikes to hotels etc, then ride to the venue? all those bikes cant be owned by locals. so is it a bike from your hotel thing for the most part?

And while youre at it, how about an express food line for stonerchella? wtf paul?

It wouldn't be safer, I can bet people would be hit by cars or cause traffic problems. I was driving over to the festival on Friday from my house and some idiot swerved in front of my car because he lost a grip on his red cup. Bikers at night are especially hard to see and I can see why GV didn't even want to take the risk this year.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1+2], 13[1+2]

Absolutely correct.
    Very unfriendly to bikers this year.

51st has no vehicle traffic since the parking lots don't exit there. The parking lots are much more dangerous for bikers to bike through which is what we have to do now in the dark! Open 51st to us or better yet give us a bike lane there.

GV (or Indio PD) doesn't have a clue how to manage bikers. C'mon Outside Lands has a FREE bike valet for god's sake. I know it's in the city but still GV makes it harder and harder to bike each year.

I'll stop bitching and moaning now.
    Go Green.
    Coachella '05-'13
    Outside Lands '12-'13

Quote Originally Posted by motherofmothera View Post
    You're not making any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sidsjiff View Post
    Absolutely correct.
    Very unfriendly to bikers this year.

51st has no vehicle traffic since the parking lots don't exit there. The parking lots are much more dangerous for bikers to bike through which is what we have to do now in the dark! Open 51st to us or better yet give us a bike lane there.
    Yes, 51st should have a narrow-coned off biker lane, leaving the rest of road open for official vehicle traffic. The nice thing is Monroe is empty - once you get out to it. But getting to it is a nightmare.

Last night they had the road we came in on (not quite all the way to day lots) closed off b/c it was "private property". So why the fuck was it open earlier in the day? Idiots. So we had to navigate all the chokepoints and scrambled vehicles coming from every direction in the day parking lots. Real fun.

Nice work GV and Indio

You're not making any sense.

Yes, 51st should have a narrow-coned off biker lane, leaving the rest of road open for official vehicle traffic. The nice thing is Monroe is empty - once you get out to it. But getting to it is a nightmare.

Last night they had the road we came in on (not quite all the way to day lots) closed off b/c it was "private property". So why the fuck was it open earlier in the day? Idiots. So we had to navigate all the chokepoints and scrambled vehicles coming from every direction in the day parking lots. Real fun.

Nice work GV and Indio
    really. navigating through those parking lots on bike looked like a nightmare. it was bad enough walking.
    i'm bringing crutches and a neck brace next year.

Lurker

Madison was the best route to bike in i found. Monroe was rediculous! I live 2 miles from the entrance, and on each day I had to take a different path because security didn't know what they were doing.

GV, you did better than last year on MOST things.

Had a great time this year, and the security & other staff were on their game and did a top job, but the one complaint was the pointless pedestrian routes.

There is no justifiable reason at all that pedestrians and bikes shouldn't have been allowed to enter/exit down ave 51.

This is my only 2011 complaint. Had no problems riding our bikes to and from the house we rent a few miles away last year. This year made no damn sense. We were sent all the way to the furthest fucking parking lot Saturday night. Really?! I assume security had something to do with all the detours, but how was it safer to send cars, bikers, and pedestrians all out the same tiny funnel? It's like we're being encouraged to drive instead. Which is what we did on Sunday, and what we will most likely do next year.

I would have complained to one of the guys in charge of getting everyone out of the parking lot, but he was a little too busy taking pics of underage ass with his cell phone. Yes, really.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    It's like we're being encouraged to drive instead. Which is what we did on Sunday, and what we will most likely do next year.
    this is definitely a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

*bump* due to edit in first post

wow, good find in that faq. so we're screwed? that's really, really shitty

Keep reading. It says that there are seperate paths for pedestrians on two different corners (corners of 49th and Monroe and 52nd and Madison)... This is good news, not bad.

Absolutely NO PEDESTRIANS OR PEDESTRIAN FESTIVAL ACCESS will be allowed on Monroe Street between Avenue 49 and Avenue 52. PEDESTRIAN ACCESS IS available at the corner of Avenue 49 & Monroe Street and at the corner of Avenue 52 & Madison Street.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

52nd and Madison is further than last year, and I'm not sure how 49th and Monroe helps. Isn't that basically the same distance away from the festival but north?

Our house is on 48th and Monroe, so basically we'll roll out of the neighborhood and right into the pedestrian area. I assume they'll have a direct path into the festival.

Ah, not bad for you. Our house is closer to 50th between monroe and jackson. So entering on 51st was always pretty ideal. So walking up to 49h, then back down basically to 51st is pretty shitty. Unless they'll have a new north side entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Our house is on 48th and Monroe, so basically we'll roll out of the neighborhood and right into the pedestrian area. I assume they'll have a direct path into the festival.
    This is fantastic news (in theory). I hope it plays out this way.

biking from IPCC..still OK?

also, reward bikers like u do carpoolers, passes yo

I'm sure the map is being discussed else where: http://www.coachella.com/festival-info/interactive-maps

But, god damn it, this makes no sense

Oh wow, this is way early.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Sounds shitty for bikers. Even if we can enter at 49th and Monroe via the pedestrian entrance it will be packed and not nearly as nice as the old 51st route. For a variety of reasons, we're skipping the IPCC stay and bike ride. Instead it's shuttles for us this year. Not as thrilling as the bike ride but Coachella certainly doesn't support us riders very much.
    Go Green.
    Coachella '05-'13
    Outside Lands '12-'13

It's perfect for the bikers staying in our 'hood.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    It's perfect for the bikers staying in our 'hood.
    and for the walkers in our 'hood : )
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Glad we went ahead and reserved our bikes again this year...looks like it will work out great.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.