Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

Default Re: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    Been there many times. Best thing is the road out of there takes you to Liverpool.
    Haha, no, I know what you mean, I have family there though. I'm an old fart(37), but I was lucky enough to be there for a bit of the acid rock / early rave of the late 80's.

No suede's low turnout was due to the fact that very few people in the US have heard of them.
    Suede were probably quite cheap to book, however Stone Roses first gig reunion isn't going to come cheap. I don't doubt a lot of people would be interested, but Stone Roses would be more curiosity to the majority of Coachella attendee's.
    Yes, that's part of it. At the same time Coachella didn't really show case them. They have to place reunions rather high on the poster to make people that don't know them go...who the hell is that? and then go check it out. I'll never forget when I went to see Jesus and Mary Chain at Coachella when a crowd behind me had no idea who they were just that they were "some big reunion" and they were playing in front of Interpol.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    somebody isn't reading thoroughly enough. No mention that these will be their first shows back in fact it stresses that these shows will be part of an "extensive world tour". Coachella could very possibly be their first show back, they'd have to give Stone Roses a spot on the main stage though part of Suede's low turnout was the fact they were in the Mojave right before Arcade Fire.
    You are delusional. Main stage? Our love for a band doesn't equate to general popularity.

I have great hope that there will be several US shows since the article expressly mentions a "world" tour. But they're not going to play at Coachella before they play their reunion dates in Manchester.

Been there many times. Best thing is the road out of there takes you to Liverpool.
    You've got to be kidding me, Liverpool isnt anywhere near Manchesters level, if it wasnt for the Beatles no one over there would of even care about Liverpool.
    @dannycradden

Friday.
    Austra > Jagwar Ma > A$AP Ferg > Flume > The Glitch Mob > Bonobo > Haim > Broken Bells > Outkast

Saturday.
    Temples > Blood Orange > Warpaint > Banks > Washed Out > Solange > CHVRCHES > Lorde

Sunday.
    Jhene Aiko > AlunaGeorge > The 1975 > Classixx > Chance the Rapper > James V. McMorrow > Lana Del Rey > Disclosure

*please*

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I have great hope that there will be several US shows since the article expressly mentions a "world" tour. But they're not going to play at Coachella before they play their reunion dates in Manchester.
    That.

old school

No suede's low turnout was due to the fact that very few people in the US have heard of them.
    Suede were probably quite cheap to book, however Stone Roses first gig reunion isn't going to come cheap. I don't doubt a lot of people would be interested, but Stone Roses would be more curiosity to the majority of Coachella attendee's.
    Before the weekend, I viewed the SUEDE booking as GVs PULP contingency plan or cheaper alternative. it ended up being perhaps my favourite set of the weekend.

SUEDE toured the US MANY times between 1993 and 1997, with and without Bernard. Stone Roses NEVER set foot in the US with the classic lineup and only did a tiny handful of dates in 1995 with a ringer on drums.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 10-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

New site up and running. Cant see them playing anywhere else before the Manchester gigs in June.

http://www.thestoneroses.org/

Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

if it's "not about the money" and more about "playing music and reaching people", then maybe they'll erm put-their-money-where-their-mouth-is and do some discount gigs in the states for the fans over here who never got to see their heroes live in the flesh. I'm not saying a show at The Glasshouse or El Rey or something ridiculous like that, but hit up a couple festivals. Like Coachella for instance.
    100% Caffeinated

Yes, that's part of it. At the same time Coachella didn't really show case them. They have to place reunions rather high on the poster to make people that don't know them go...who the hell is that? and then go check it out. I'll never forget when I went to see Jesus and Mary Chain at Coachella when a crowd behind me had no idea who they were just that they were "some big reunion" and they were playing in front of Interpol.
    I'm not even sure that matters. I remember people leaving the sonic holocaust in droves, if not sooner. I also remember the Outdoor acts substantially outdrawing Pavement.

At a certain level, the reunions of seminal '80s and '90s bands at Coachella matters only to the musically initiated (including the people who post on festival message boards), the handful of diehard fans and legitimate nostalgia cases, and the people who scribble about music for a living. The average college kid who is paying $320 plus expenses for the weekend party simply does not care about these acts.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

old school

Pavement and Faith No More were first US reunion shows with high billing on the mainstage at night. Very modest turnouts for both.

The Pavement crowd would surely have been bigger if a lot of people weren't camping at the Outdoor for Atoms for Peace.

Even if it weren't for the allure of the Hot Chip->MGMT one-two punch of derp, I think the Faith No More crowd would still have been modest.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    The Pavement crowd would surely have been bigger if a lot of people weren't camping at the Outdoor for Atoms for Peace.
    Eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

yeah, yeah, yeah - their UK festival gigs coincide a bit close to coachella - but i would be SHOCKED if The Stone Roses aren't headlining coachella next year.

your know golden voice is gonna dump a bunch of cash at the lads' feet - plus the temptation to play to 90,000 people has gotta be tempting. especially since The Roses never really formally introduced themselves to the states.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

^ don't know where to starts
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

old school

Quote Originally Posted by oaktown_dimond View Post
    yeah, yeah, yeah - their UK festival gigs coincide a bit close to coachella - but i would be SHOCKED if The Stone Roses aren't headlining coachella next year.

your know golden voice is gonna dump a bunch of cash at the lads' feet - plus the temptation to play to 90,000 people has gotta be tempting. especially since The Roses never really formally introduced themselves to the states.
    You are referring to Coachella 2013, right?

I've seen no indication they are huge in the US. Promoters couldn't even get Pulp/Blur here. Stone Roses also choked real hard at Spike island and Reading.

Plus Ian Brown has to get a US work Visa after a couple legal run-ins and jail time about 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    You are referring to Coachella 2013, right?

I've seen no indication they are huge in the US. Promoters couldn't even get Pulp/Blur here. Stone Roses also choked real hard at Spike island and Reading.

Plus Ian Brown has to get a US work Visa after a couple legal run-ins and jail time about 8 years ago.
    well they don't have to be the final headliner - but if duran duran could play 3rd to last of the festival - i don't see why the roses can't. (not a knock on D2, i dig them).

from my understanding, spike island was a clusterfuck from the beginning. the place nearly flooded out during the concert. not to mention the gnarly winds.

reading was the end of the band - they were barely talking to eachother by that point.

the stone roses have the folklore behind them. even in the states - they would be a definite draw. not as big as in the UK admittedly. but if there was ever a band with unfinished business, it's the stone roses.

can't speak to ian's legal troubles.

You guys are delusional. Comparing the Stone Roses to Duran Duran??? Duran Duran, whether you're interested in them or not, were HUGE in the US... they had like half a dozen platinum records, at least a dozen hit singles, won a couple of grammys... Stone Roses have *nothing*. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they are just not well known or well appreciated at all on this side of the pond. That "folklore" you're talking about is really, really isolated to a small but loyal fanbase. I feel like we're going to be lucky to get a handful of shows in major cities on the coasts. Coachella 2013 seems really unlikely IMO... I guess I don't trust that they'll hold it for a year and a half...

I'd hope his criminal record doesn't prevent him from getting a visa. Seems so random these days.

You guys are delusional. Comparing the Stone Roses to Duran Duran??? Duran Duran, whether you're interested in them or not, were HUGE in the US... they had like half a dozen platinum records, at least a dozen hit singles, won a couple of grammys... Stone Roses have *nothing*. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they are just not well known or well appreciated at all on this side of the pond. That "folklore" you're talking about is really, really isolated to a small but loyal fanbase. I feel like we're going to be lucky to get a handful of shows in major cities on the coasts. Coachella 2013 seems really unlikely IMO... I guess I don't trust that they'll hold it for a year and a half...

I'd hope his criminal record doesn't prevent him from getting a visa. Seems so random these days.
    They had charted higher on the billboard charts than Jesus and Mary Chain ever did and they subheadlined.
    The White Stripes 9/18

as a huge fan of duran duran, i can tell you that their fan base is SHIT nowadays. it's almost disgusting. they barely sold 70,000 copies of their latest album - all you need is now (which is probably their best work since 7 and the ragged tiger).

so, the fame that DD had back in the day has been eclipsed by laissez faire fans and the fact that most "cool people" still think everyone in the band is gay (even though they've turned down more pussy than we'll ever get in our lifetimes ;-)

and being coachella is "hipster central" (no offense intended) - the stone roses would be a big draw.

True enough. They played like... 2 acts before the headliner, yea? So mid-tier. I just think it's laughable to compare them to a band like Duran Duran as justification for why they should be highly placed on a lineup... I mean, "i would be SHOCKED if The Stone Roses aren't headlining coachella next year"???? This is ridiculous.

Look, I love the Stone Roses. They're one of my favorite bands ever. But you're grossly exaggerating their fan base and their draw. I would love it if they appeared on that lineup, and if a whole new generation was exposed to them because of it. But I think in reality, if they end up playing, it's going to be a Suede-esque spot in a totally empty tent. (And that wouldn't bother me at all.... it's just you guys talking about headlining and playing main stage are nuts).

Seriously, I will be surprised if these guys are still getting along by April 2013. We'll see.

t's going to be a Suede-esque spot in a totally empty tent. (And that wouldn't bother me at all.... it's just you guys talking about headlining and playing main stage are nuts).
    why couldn't they play the main stage, Jesus and Mary Chain did, Bauhaus did etc.
    The White Stripes 9/18

why couldn't they play the main stage, Jesus and Mary Chain did, Bauhaus did etc.
    I don't know I see them more in the Big Audio Dynamite slot or better the Caifanes slot in the Outdoor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

so, the fame that DD had back in the day has been eclipsed by laissez faire fans and the fact that most "cool people" still think everyone in the band is gay (even though they've turned down more pussy than we'll ever get in our lifetimes ;-)
    Sounds pretty gay to me.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Sounds pretty gay to me.
    i guess some need clarification. of all the pussy they've bagged, the trolls they've turned down still amounts to more pussy you've ever had or will have in your lifetime.

get it now?

Look, I love the Stone Roses. They're one of my favorite bands ever. But you're grossly exaggerating their fan base and their draw. I would love it if they appeared on that lineup, and if a whole new generation was exposed to them because of it. But I think in reality, if they end up playing, it's going to be a Suede-esque spot in a totally empty tent. (And that wouldn't bother me at all.... it's just you guys talking about headlining and playing main stage are nuts).

Seriously, I will be surprised if these guys are still getting along by April 2013. We'll see.
    okay, absolute headliner is probably a little overzealous on my part. but TSR is still a main stage act IMHO.

in the UK, i am NOT overestimating their draw, but in the US, probably. but i highly doubt, even if TSR are courted to play coachella, will they agree to anything less than the mainstage. if not, then fuck 'em - they'll just stick to UK festivals.

old school

well they don't have to be the final headliner - but if duran duran could play 3rd to last of the festival - i don't see why the roses can't. (not a knock on D2, i dig them).

the stone roses have the folklore behind them. even in the states - they would be a definite draw. not as big as in the UK admittedly. but if there was ever a band with unfinished business, it's the stone roses.
    Duran would need 2 nights to play all their charted material. Roses MIGHT do an hour and change.

At my most optimistic I see SR in the MBV or The Specials type billing/draw. Acts with about an album or so of well regarded material from the past. DFA79 are in a similar boat. Different being those 3 acts are musically relevant to current US music whereas I don't see that with SR.

Please explain the musical relevance in the US? The band or solo stuff never did more than club business stateside. Not even much in Canada which has closer ties to the UK music scene.

Ian Brown toured the US in 2004 after his jail stint, but he had an assault thing later. IMO, if it's a high profile gig he'll get in.

They had charted higher on the billboard charts than Jesus and Mary Chain ever did and they subheadlined.
    JAMC was the first gig back so they may have been given artificially high billing(similar to DFA79) as part of the negotiation. I also don't think SR would accept any billing less than headliner. Add to that April 2012 is too soon, and things may have soured by April 2013.

as a huge fan of duran duran, i can tell you that their fan base is SHIT nowadays. it's almost disgusting. they barely sold 70,000 copies of their latest album - all you need is now (which is probably their best work since 7 and the ragged tiger).

and being coachella is "hipster central" (no offense intended) - the stone roses would be a big draw.
    Duran's ability to sell US tickets is still decently strong. Their album doesn't have publicity or airplay plus they did way too many bad albums in the past 15 years.

I'm still left looking for evidence SR would draw big numbers at Coachella or have some huge pent up demand like Pixies.

I think if the shows get solid reviews for UK shows will be a big factor on whether or not the "world" part of their tour comes to fruition. UK/Europe/Japan should be givens.

Faith No More and Pavement were US debut mainstage reunions to shockingly small crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Duran would need 2 nights to play all their charted material. Roses MIGHT do an hour and change.

At my most optimistic I see SR in the MBV or The Specials type billing/draw. Acts with about an album or so of well regarded material from the past. DFA79 are in a similar boat. Different being those 3 acts are musically relevant to current US music whereas I don't see that with SR.

Please explain the musical relevance in the US? The band or solo stuff never did more than club business stateside. Not even much in Canada which has closer ties to the UK music scene.

Ian Brown toured the US in 2004 after his jail stint, but he had an assault thing later. IMO, if it's a high profile gig he'll get in.

JAMC was the first gig back so they may have been given artificially high billing(similar to DFA79) as part of the negotiation. I also don't think SR would accept any billing less than headliner. Add to that April 2012 is too soon, and things may have soured by April 2013.

Duran's ability to sell US tickets is still decently strong. Their album doesn't have publicity or airplay plus they did way too many bad albums in the past 15 years.

I'm still left looking for evidence SR would draw big numbers at Coachella or have some huge pent up demand like Pixies.

I think if the shows get solid reviews for UK shows will be a big factor on whether or not the "world" part of their tour comes to fruition. UK/Europe/Japan should be givens.

Faith No More and Pavement were US debut mainstage reunions to shockingly small crowds.
    well said bumblebee. can't argue with anything in your post.

i do love the stone roses - but i guess i'm not the norm as an american.

and i've had somewhat frisky discourses with my wife, who is a HUGE duran duran fan that they got what they deserved for turning out mediocrity from thank you to red carpet massacre. i'm including the platinum selling astronaut - because, well... it just doesn't have "it" either.

but yeah, you are right - D2 has still sold like 100 million albums worldwide over their career. they are definitely in a different echelon than the stone roses.

old school

but yeah, you are right - D2 has still sold like 100 million albums worldwide over their career. they are definitely in a different echelon than the stone roses.
    Duran were probably underbilled at Coachella. But they are slightly unfamiliar to younger music fans, wanted to hock the new album, were desperate to be on the bill and have a "street cred" stigma.

I'll reiterate it, we're not saying these things because we don't like the Stone Roses or don't WANT them to play to a great reception at Coachella. I just think that most of us fans tend to over-state their popularity and importance based on how much we love them and how widely loved they SHOULD be.