Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Default Re: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I thought Squire and Brown had kissed and made up a while back.
    I dont believe they are in contact however. Both have gone their separate ways. That was the jist of an interview in June in a scottish paper, prior to one of Squires exhibitions.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Brown and Squire haven't seen eye-to-eye since the debut album years (1989...do the math). Ian hated all that Zep-ish Second Coming riffage direction ("The Unforgettable Squire", "John didn't like Bob Marley", etc.). If they did cave in for the money I doubt Coachella would be on the list of primary targeted gigs as they'd sell out Glastonbury, Reading, or whatever is going on in Britain being way more popular over there than they are here.

But I also hold out hope.
    100% Caffeinated

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Premium Roast View Post
    Brown and Squire haven't seen eye-to-eye since the debut album years (1989...do the math). Ian hated all that Zep-ish Second Coming riffage direction ("The Unforgettable Squire", "John didn't like Bob Marley", etc.). If they did cave in for the money I doubt Coachella would be on the list of primary targeted gigs as they'd sell out Glastonbury, Reading, or whatever is going on in Britain being way more popular over there than they are here.

But I also hold out hope.
    GV have more money to offer than Glasto for SR. UK stuff like Reading would be top. Or they just do their own festival up north again.

Would GV offer more money to the Stone Roses even though no one but me and you care for them?

They did put Suede on a late night Saturday Night slot, which I still find bizarre and mind blowing. Maybe Paul T. and the band choosers can just pick whomever they want at this point without worry because of a guaranteed sell out show. I kinda like that, cus it leaves the unexpected possible.
    100% Caffeinated

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Premium Roast View Post
    Would GV offer more money to the Stone Roses even though no one but me and you care for them?

They did put Suede on a late night Saturday Night slot, which I still find bizarre and mind blowing. Maybe Paul T. and the band choosers can just pick whomever they want at this point without worry because of a guaranteed sell out show. I kinda like that, cus it leaves the unexpected possible.
    While I love SUEDE and thought their "intimate" Coachella set was perhaps the best fo the weekend it's a harder comparison budget wise. I also viewed it as being a "no-pulp" consolation prize booking in some ways.

SR or Smiths would have a much bigger price tag. Weirdly, doing America properly may be an incentive for Squire that would get him out of his cave. Not that i think either reunion is happening anytime soon.

As for speaking terms, weren't all 4 members together in one place at a funeral recently? http://www.chartattack.com/news/2011...ately-squashed
    Though it's hard to figure out where the BS and facts begin/end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    While I love SUEDE and thought their "intimate" Coachella set was perhaps the best fo the weekend it's a harder comparison budget wise. I also viewed it as being a "no-pulp" consolation prize booking in some ways.

SR or Smiths would have a much bigger price tag. Weirdly, doing America properly may be an incentive for Squire that would get him out of his cave. Not that i think either reunion is happening anytime soon.

As for speaking terms, weren't all 4 members together in one place at a funeral recently? http://www.chartattack.com/news/2011...ately-squashed
    Though it's hard to figure out where the BS and facts begin/end.
    The BS fantasy starts and ends in this thread. I don't believe "sorry your mum has passed away" constitutes a reunion.
    You seem to believe Messrs Brown, Squire, Morrissey & Marr can be bought. You're mistaken.
    Dede' Arneaux

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    The BS fantasy starts and ends in this thread. I don't believe "sorry your mum has passed away" constitutes a reunion.
    You seem to believe Messrs Brown, Squire, Morrissey & Marr can be bought. You're mistaken.
    That article did confirm that SR members have all spoken to one another in some capacity within the last year. Other groups have zero direct contact for decades.

I don't think any of them are particularly loaded, even Moz. Moz reissue of solo material and some press comments seem to indicate hinm being swayed by money. I htink both groups have unfinished business when it comes to legacy maintenence or popularity being somewhat "regional" to certian parts of the world.

They "spoke" for the first time in god knows how long so now they automatically reunite for a show. Not happening guys.

Is Rene even alive? It's always Mani who speaks to him and I think Mani may have just been on drugs and making up shit. Probably a ghost in his room one night.

I don't think it is ever happening either. For the Roses at least. Smiths are much more likely.
    100% Caffeinated

Exclamation Re: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

coachella is to busy booking top 40 acts as headliners. I would love to see both acts but it will never happen, it'll be u2,coldplay, and lil wayne... or something of that sort.
    pixies
    make-up
    pavement
    stooges
    television
    velvet underground

That article did confirm that SR members have all spoken to one another in some capacity within the last year. Other groups have zero direct contact for decades.

I don't think any of them are particularly loaded, even Moz. Moz reissue of solo material and some press comments seem to indicate hinm being swayed by money. I htink both groups have unfinished business when it comes to legacy maintenence or popularity being somewhat "regional" to certian parts of the world.
    It was Mani's mum's funeral for goodness sake - not a chat about reforming the band.

You guys dont get it do you? - it's nothing to do with money. It's about music.
    Both bands are dead and buried. The members moved on over 15 years ago. John Squire is a painter. Whether you think there is unfinished business in the US or never-started business in Sri Lanka - the bands are finished. This isn't America's Got Talent, it's real life.
    Dede' Arneaux

old school

It was Mani's mum's funeral for goodness sake - not a chat about reforming the band.

Both bands are dead and buried. The members moved on over 15 years ago. John Squire is a painter. Whether you think there is unfinished business in the US or never-started business in Sri Lanka - the bands are finished. This isn't America's Got Talent, it's real life.
    Same was said for THE CARS reunion dates and album, with half of the band having never toured in any capacity since the 80's. Drummer hadn't played drums in 22 years.

Same was said for THE CARS reunion dates and album, with half of the band having never toured in any capacity since the 80's. Drummer hadn't played drums in 22 years.
    Indeed, similarly Hell froze over and the Eagles got it together again.

I dont believe Johnny Marr & John Squire can be bought. From what I've read the idea can be filed under 'next question please'. About as likely as Waters & Gilmour getting the Floyd back together.

On a lighter note, I would obviously arrange my Coachella wanderings around such an appearance. I've never forgiven John Squire for falling off his mountain bike and breaking his collar bone just prior to Glastonbury '95, causing the band to cancel. Instead of Oasis on the Friday followed by the second coming of The Stone Roses on Sat ... we got Pulp
    Last edited by Dede' Arneaux; 08-10-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Dede' Arneaux

On a lighter note, I would obviously arrange my Coachella wanderings around such an appearance. I've never forgiven John Squire for falling off his mountain bike and breaking his collar bone just prior to Glastonbury '95, causing the band to cancel. Instead of Oasis on the Friday followed by the second coming of The Stone Roses on Sat ... we got Pulp

I forgave that, I have never forgiven John Squire forming The Seahorses though.

It would have to be a ridiculous offer for them to reform. Each guy would want at least a million pounds so $1.5m each. John Squire would probably want even more than that. I can't see GV spending in the region of $6-10m to get The Stone Roses to play a gig in the US.

Indeed, similarly Hell froze over and the Eagles got it together again.

I dont believe Johnny Marr & John Squire can be bought. From what I've read the idea can be filed under 'next question please'. About as likely as Waters & Gilmour getting the Floyd back together.

Yep, got one of the festival's most legendary performances and the better band.
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

You got Pulp . . . . doing this:
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

But the ideal scenario would have been the douchiest gallagher falling off a cliff and then oasis not performing ever again.
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by DropletsOfYes&No View Post
    angular angst
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

You are simultaneously claiming "it's nothing to do with money" and "it's real life". And this is not an intentional contradiction done for the sake of irony. Did I get that right?
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You are simultaneously claiming "it's nothing to do with money" and "it's real life". And this is not an intentional contradiction done for the sake of irony. Did I get that right?
    A big pile of cash wont get them back together - that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yep, got one of the festival's most legendary performances and the better band.
    Take yourself back to the UK of 16 years ago. I was rather looking forward to an Oasis / Stone Roses double header. It was Glastonbury's 25th Anniversary and a dry, hot and sunny weekend. Having missed them the first time round, missing the 'second coming' was a disappointment.
    Dede' Arneaux

old school

The 3 living Floyd members are insanely wealthy, a year ago Marr was playing months on end in clubs and travelling in a van around the country with 3 brothers in their 20's. Joyce used a legal aid lawyer(ie: he couldn't afford one) to sue his bandmates. Rourke sold his royalties and has since declared bankruptcy. I've seen Marr and Mozz whine about modest money in recent interviews.

While I can see issues with using the name "Smiths" and playing with Joyce, I don't believe Marr would decline an 8 figure check with only his name on it, even for "Moz-Marr" dates. Same with Squire.

Indio won't be the first show, but I could see several major festival joining up to offer either them a package deal. No full tour, but select dates like RATM plays. With momentum from Europe, A headline at Coachella could be possible if it was North American exclusive(maybe with a Strokes type subheadliner)

Check it out ! Let's see where this goes.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/59660
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

old school

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/1...hy-fools-gold/

Plus the Roses ae writing a book together.

From Wikipedia.org

To this day Morrissey refuses to reunite his old band, going as far as to say that he would "rather eat [his] own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."[27] In March 2006, Morrissey revealed that The Smiths had been offered $5 million to reunite for a performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which he turned down, saying, "No, because money doesn't come into it." He further explained, "It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn't feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. [Marr] wanted to end it. And that was that."[28] When asked why he would not reform with The Smiths, Morrissey responded "I feel as if I've worked very hard since the demise of The Smiths and the others haven't, so why hand them attention that they haven't earned? We are not friends, we don't see each other. Why on earth would we be on a stage together?"[29]

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    Check it out ! Let's see where this goes.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/59660
    Yay! I hope Moz responds to this quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    From Wikipedia.org

To this day Morrissey refuses to reunite his old band, going as far as to say that he would "rather eat [his] own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."[27] In March 2006, Morrissey revealed that The Smiths had been offered $5 million to reunite for a performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which he turned down, saying, "No, because money doesn't come into it." He further explained, "It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn't feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. [Marr] wanted to end it. And that was that."[28] When asked why he would not reform with The Smiths, Morrissey responded "I feel as if I've worked very hard since the demise of The Smiths and the others haven't, so why hand them attention that they haven't earned? We are not friends, we don't see each other. Why on earth would we be on a stage together?"[29]
    Old shit, old Wikipedia shit at that.

Just sayin'. Ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    Just sayin'. Ain't gonna happen.
    Never said it would but you know what? Anythings possible.

I hear there's a thread for that.

Ahahaha! Why you lil Twattycake !!!