Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

Default Re: The Smiths and Stone Roses for 2012

Sure, they aren't nearly as popular here, but their popularity gives them a prestige that necessitates both star treatment and a considerable sum of money to make coming to another country worth their time. While they wouldn't get the millions they are making for the Manchester gigs and inevitable festivals (rumored to be headlining V), it would still be a large chunk of change. So they'd be on the main stage and the second or third name name down and have a modest crowd while the derps are in the Sahara, the beer gardens, or at the Outdoor watching some trendy indie synth band.

Can Pulp really be as popular in Slovakia and Australia as they are at home? No, yet they were the #1 or #2 act of every festival they played this year. Same deal if they came here. Acts like The Stone Roses or Pulp may not be the band that nearly everyone wants to check out, but they would be a much higher priority and deal maker for a small but considerable base of fans, and continue Coachella's prestige as the festival that brings in some acts that can't be seen at all the other fests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

At my most optimistic I see SR in the MBV or The Specials type billing/draw. Acts with about an album or so of well regarded material from the past. DFA79 are in a similar boat. Different being those 3 acts are musically relevant to current US music whereas I don't see that with SR.

Faith No More and Pavement were US debut mainstage reunions to shockingly small crowds.
    MBV is a great example of why Stone Roses would play the main stage. If I recall they had a pretty decently sized crowd and I would say that their music isn't as friendly to unfamiliar ears as Stone Roses would be.

The problem with Pavement has to do with set times as it's been said many times before. People opted to see Phoenix, who was riding high at the time and by doing so they could get a good spot for Thom Yorke. Now Faith No More on the other hand...I may get some flack for saying it, but I never understood why Coachella even got that reunion, there music seems dated and doesn't really fit the current Coachella crowd.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated when the intitial reunion reports came out that a "reputable promoter" had offered them money to reunite at a festival?
    To Supre:
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    MBV is a great example of why Stone Roses would play the main stage. If I recall they had a pretty decently sized crowd and I would say that their music isn't as friendly to unfamiliar ears as Stone Roses would be.

The problem with Pavement has to do with set times as it's been said many times before. People opted to see Phoenix, who was riding high at the time and by doing so they could get a good spot for Thom Yorke. Now Faith No More on the other hand...I may get some flack for saying it, but I never understood why Coachella even got that reunion, there music seems dated and doesn't really fit the current Coachella crowd.
    I heard MBV(shoegazer), Pavement(Alt country) and FNM(Tool/Rage) in present day music listened to in the US. Roses I don't see a connection.

FNM are also an example of a group that did huge business at Euro fests but didn't do that much business in the US.

I also thought MBV reunion had notority because of it's volume at shows. Total weirdo bait/curious seeker and some viewed their shows like completing a fairground ride without getting sick.

I will agree that Stone Roses have to play at night because of the light show.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated when the intitial reunion reports came out that a "reputable promoter" had offered them money to reunite at a festival?
    I think it's the same promoter who did Blur/Pulp/Suede. Can't find a name but they may have group together to make the band a single offer for a run of shows.

GV got MBV a year after ATP. Suede may have been a consolation prize for no pulp. Slim chance Pulp may do Chella 2012. Rose don't look good for 2012 and are a slim chance for 2013.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 10-21-2011 at 01:44 AM.

old school

To put this in perspective:

The money the Roses will make at their 2 hometown shows is roughly the same as what McCartney or Prince made doing their headliner Coachella slots.

The money the Roses will make at their 2 hometown shows is roughly the same as what McCartney or Prince made doing their headliner Coachella slots.
    And they will probably get a similar amount playing headlining V festival.

The Stone Roses are not worthy of being headliners at coachella?

ummm....

http://www.thestoneroses.org

Heaton Park, Manchester

Fastest Selling Rock Gigs in UK History:
    ALL THREE NIGHTS SOLD OUT!

220,000 tickets sold in 68 minutes with the first two nights selling out in 14 minutes.

don't get me wrong - i CAN'T BELIEVE they sold that many tickets, WOW, just WOW!

any idea of who the supporting acts will be?

Quote Originally Posted by oaktown_dimond View Post
    The Stone Roses are not worthy of being headliners at coachella?

ummm....

http://www.thestoneroses.org

Heaton Park, Manchester

Fastest Selling Rock Gigs in UK History:
    ALL THREE NIGHTS SOLD OUT!
    America ≠ the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the stone roses have less of a draw in the US than every britpop band put together. which is still negligible. you're fooling yourself if you think that's going to be a payday or even in the least bit alluring to the band.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 10-21-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

old school

Who knew ticketing systems could handle 10,000+ tickets/minute.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Today they made 12M ($18M) in under an hour by selling 240,000 tickets for 3 gigs in one weekend.

Good work if you can get it. I'm just mad cos I had 2 PCs and a laptop running at 9.30 this morning and I didn't get lucky.
    Last edited by Dede' Arneaux; 10-21-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    A Stone Roses reunion for Coache12a would be Goldenvoice's most epic accomplishment.
    One of the greatest bands most American's have never heard of.
    This would be a real gem of an addition.
    Make this happen!

I think the first Stone Roses album is a masterpiece. the second album was mediocre. Therefore I hope that when the Stone Roses play the USA, they only play songs from their first and (upcoming) third albums and forget they have made a second album.

i personally don't get the disdain for second coming. was it as good or as groundbreaking as the first album? no. but it was still decent.

the problem was that john wanted to be jimmy page and ian wanted to pursue what they started in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by oaktown_dimond View Post
    i personally don't get the disdain for second coming. was it as good or as groundbreaking as the first album? no. but it was still decent.

the problem was that john wanted to be jimmy page and ian wanted to pursue what they started in 1989.
    I still dug it ! Right on with the Jimmy Page comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

Love Spreads is downright nasty, but I tend to gravitate more towards the innocent and optimistic sounding stuff. 'Waterfall', 'All Across the Sands', etc. And Primal Scream's 'Gentle Tuesday'. Not the "do a line and listen to me brain fuck you with my monster guitar riff". I still like it though.
    100% Caffeinated

To everyone who said this Reunion and their status as headliner would never happen, I'd like to say, I'm fucking glad you were wrong!
    STONE ROSES and BLUR on Friday???
    Dream come true!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Ha. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I just listened to Stones Roses first album, and I thought it was great, particularly for the time it was recorded. They have a lot of great loop based stuff in the background and transitions. It sounds to me that Panda Bear and the rest of Animal Collective must/could have been inspired by this album.

The Smiths next year, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I think the first Stone Roses album is a masterpiece. the second album was mediocre. Therefore I hope that when the Stone Roses play the USA, they only play songs from their first and (upcoming) third albums and forget they have made a second album.
    The Heaton Park set list from June 2012

Roses Set.jpg
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Ohhh, can Stone Roses headline weekend 1??
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what