Thread: the thread for Phoenix residents to yell at Dan Harkins to get his shit together

Default the thread for Phoenix residents to yell at Dan Harkins to get his shit together

INLAND EMPIRE, MOTHERFUCKER, WHERE IS IT?

you sanctimonious PRICK.

kidding.

but you know better, Dan. you know you're all we got in this fucking cinematic wasteland out here. we count on you. you're the king and you fucking know it. so don't sell out on us now, buddy. where the fuck IS this film already? i'm asking you for real. we already waited over a MONTH for you to bring us children of men. and we appreciate it, believe me. but you could have done it sooner. and i know for a FACT that you could have. i know the people on your buddy list. the term "wide release" meant absolutely NOTHING here and you know it. and for what it's worth, i'm not even sure if brick or lazarescu or even tristram shandy ever played here AT ALL. there are others that i'm forgetting to mention right now, but you get the point.

listen up all of you goddamned phoenix cookie cutter developers. all of you goddamned little napoleon LAND BARONS. sheer quantity does not a city make. you're forgetting quality here. you're ignoring the fucking CONTENT. quit building subdivision upon subdivision and put some energy back into the city's core where it belongs. it's just waiting for you, literally bursting at the seams. if you choose to ignore it, don't blame me when your citizenry takes to the streets in another thirty years or so. your unbelievable lack of foresight is building us another fucking paris here, ready to burn up from the inside fucking OUT. and so what we don't need is another wal mart. or another shopping center. or another GODDAMNED MULTIPLEX showing the same GODDAMNED FIFTEEN CRAP MOVIES OVER AND OVER AGAIN. we just don't. dan, you got the fucking camelview. now USE it player, for crying out loud. what are they even showing this week? somebody check. i bet you ANYTHING that at least one of the five screens is showing something that you could catch somewhere else. and it's not about the money dan. you know it and i know it. i can't even begin to count the number of screens you hold sway over in the east valley. the money's fucking ROLLING in. so you could really be taking RISKS with the camelview if you wanted to. you know, like you USED to. you're being an ass dan harkins. get back to where you once BELONGED.

courage means taking your heroes to task when they deserve it. kimber lanning is my friend, and one of the good guys, but i'll call her on her shit too, any day of the fucking week. phil gordon too. ass. let's get it together people. you talk big game. you talk big street dreams but where the fuck they at? put your money where your mouth is and then we'll support you. in fucking DROVES. but this half-assed shit just ain't gonna cut it. it just WON'T. let's get it together already.

okay sorry for the lengthy rant. it's monday. thank you.

Default Re: the thread for Phoenix residents to yell at Dan Harkins to get his shit together

I know this is old, but I saw it at the bottom of the Phoenix thread, and thought it deserved a bump.

Up here in Flagstaff, Harkins is the place that KILLED the good theaters. OK, they were shitty theaters, but they showed good movies. Wherenberg owned all the theaters (there were 5 different ones) and they all had different personalities. The twin at the mall got all the Disney movies, the twin in "the hood" got all the action and horror movies. There was a giant old theater downtown that got the "big" movies, and every once in a while they'd do something like show Gone With The Wind on a Saturday afternoon. There was a tri-plex by NAU that would have standard fare, but they would have midnight movies on the weekends, and art films on Wednesdays. And then there was a remodeled twin with stadium seats and all the state-of-the-art sound for the hot new releases.

Then Harkins built ONE 11 screen on the far west side of town, and ALL the other theaters died. No midnight movies, no art films, no giant screens where you can watch Star Wars from the balcony. One guy re-opened the mall theater and booked mostly art films for a couple years, and then the mall threw them out to expand the food court.

Fuck Harkins, we thought they were going to bring in more art films like they do in Phoenix, and instead they drove out the few we had. There's an AMC going in next year on the east side, we're hoping Harkins will have to get their shit together to compete.

Default Re: the thread for Phoenix residents to yell at Dan Harkins to get his shit together

Wow. I didn't know that about Flagstaff. I used to work for Harkins, and I thought he was cool because he had Camelview and showed the art movies and because he renovated the Valley Art "for one million dollars!" even though it was a one-screen theatre.

Also, I'm pretty sure Brick and Tristram Shandy played at Camelview. Don't know about that other one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It's not Dan Harkins' fault. He builds suburban multiplexes because that's what makes money. If building art houses in the central corridor was what people were willing to pay for, that's what he'd do instead. Dude's not a philanthropist, he's an entrepreneur.

You want to rail at somebody, rail at the County Board of Supervisors. Yell about the lack of mass transit. Vent at the Arizona Republic, which is more interested in writing stories about the latest Safeway opening than they are about the arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

there are 12 uses of the word "fuck" in the initial post to this thread.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Wait, Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    there are 12 uses of the word "fuck" in the initial post to this thread.
    is that a good or a bad thing?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

It's not Dan Harkins' fault. He builds suburban multiplexes because that's what makes money.
    But in my example, Flagstaff had 10 screens, all owned by Wherenberg corporation. (Actually, there were 11 at one time, they remodeled a tri-plex into a twin.) There was plenty of variety on those 10 screens.

When Harkins built an 11 screen theater, it drove out the other theaters because, apparently, Flagstaff couldn't support 21 screens. That's business. But that doesn't explain why the variety went DOWN. It's still the same number of screens.

The difference is, Wherenberg wouldn't show something like "Wild Hogs" for 7 weeks in a row. They wouldn't put "The Rock" on three screens. They showed the same damn shitty movies as Harkins- and packed 'em in, I'm sure- but they left room for more interesting things as well. And I'm not talking about obscure foreign films. I'm talking about stuff that's opening in 5th, maybe even 4th place at the box office. Stuff that's opening on 1400 screens. Harkins in Flagstaff won't touch it most of the time. (Though, to be fair, I was surprised they had the new Cronenberg last weekend.)

Also, for the couple years they turned the mall theater into an independent art house, they WERE doing OK. Most showings I went to were pretty full. The demand is there, but the developers drove them out. And the Flagstaff Harkins does have a few low capacity screens that were obviously intended for smaller films. But they just use them to hold over some pile of crap over for the 6th week.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    But in my example, Flagstaff had 10 screens, all owned by Wherenberg corporation. (Actually, there were 11 at one time, they remodeled a tri-plex into a twin.) There was plenty of variety on those 10 screens.

When Harkins built an 11 screen theater, it drove out the other theaters because, apparently, Flagstaff couldn't support 21 screens. That's business. But that doesn't explain why the variety went DOWN. It's still the same number of screens.

The difference is, Wherenberg wouldn't show something like "Wild Hogs" for 7 weeks in a row. They wouldn't put "The Rock" on three screens. They showed the same damn shitty movies as Harkins- and packed 'em in, I'm sure- but they left room for more interesting things as well. And I'm not talking about obscure foreign films. I'm talking about stuff that's opening in 5th, maybe even 4th place at the box office. Stuff that's opening on 1400 screens. Harkins in Flagstaff won't touch it most of the time. (Though, to be fair, I was surprised they had the new Cronenberg last weekend.)

Also, for the couple years they turned the mall theater into an independent art house, they WERE doing OK. Most showings I went to were pretty full. The demand is there, but the developers drove them out. And the Flagstaff Harkins does have a few low capacity screens that were obviously intended for smaller films. But they just use them to hold over some pile of crap over for the 6th week.

well, whatever. Dan Harkins did not perform voodoo magic to make the competition close. For whatever reason people chose to go to his theater instead of the other one. Better popcorn maybe?

What is this all about?

M

well, whatever. Dan Harkins did not perform voodoo magic to make the competition close. For whatever reason people chose to go to his theater instead of the other one. Better popcorn maybe?
    Totally not the point. Harkins has nicer seats, and stadium seating, and they didn't constantly burn/rip the film. The Wherenberg theaters were awful.

THE POINT- When Wherenberg was operating only 10 screens with no competition, they had plenty of variety. Now that Harkins operates 11 screens with no competition, we have no variety. That's a management choice.

If anything, it should have been harder for Wherenberg to offer so much variety. They were operating 5 theaters with 5 staffs. Each one had to turn a profit. Harkins is all in one place. It's not going to kill them to play Darjeeling Limited in the smallest auditorium if they're packing the big auditoriums with a Will Smith movie.