Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Stone Roses Reunion - 2011 edition

Default Re: Stone Roses Reunion - 2011 edition

Ahhhh I'd just patiently typed out a long revise on my kindle's terrible keyboard, when my browser crashed...

tl;dr version
    saw them last night in barcelona They were much better than i dared hope they would be, though yes, Ian's voice is poor (He was not ad bad as I'd heard he would be or as old live recordings show he was, and the rest of the band more than made up for him).

Really hoping a/some US shows come up. Would love to see them again.

Do you have a setlist, Heidi
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I want to see them so fucking bad.

Agreed. Let's hurry up with some dates stateside, please.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Recent Rolling Stone review of the reunion said something along the lines of; The Stone Roses sounded rusty their first gig back but with more shows coming up they should be warmed up for Coachella next spring.
    Anyone make anything of that lol.
    September 20: Fleetmac Wood @ Los Globos
    September 23: Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    September 27: Merchandise @ Echoplex
    October 17: Massive Attack / TV on the Radio @ SB Bowl
    October 21: Metronomy @ The Regent
    November 13: Run the Jewels @ The Echo
    November 18: Real Estate @ The Belasco

Probably just speculation/wishful thinking. I doubt RS knows anything we don't.

'This is the One'?! I need this. Just not stateside, because I know the crowd wouldn't be full on. Let's go foreign areas we've never been.

That might have been the first time they played "This is the One" live. Sick.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...us-tour-dates/

You may be in luck if this is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

...or maybe not.

Millsy ‏@JsMills
    Maybe I've just witnessed the end of The Stones Roses. Ian Brown came out & said no encore "cos the drummer has left & he's a cunt" #wtf
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Robbie Mannix is probably available. For that matter, Bill Ward's summer is a lot less busy than he thought it might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Josh Freese to the rescue!

NME takes a break from compiling a list of the greatest whatever of all time to report on the "cunt" incident.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 06-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Sigh. C'mon Stone Roses. Toughen up.

guess Reni couldn't take eleven or so more minutes of pounding during 'Resurrection'. Have some sympathy, Ian.

Fuck, I love the intro to that song with Mani. I can accurately finger tap the table and hum the bass part. Should put that on my list of good traits somewhere.

Well, they lasted 3 shows without starting to quarrel it seems. :P

I was at the Saturday night Barcelona show, so this was the set list (no "This Is the One" for me):
    1. “I Wanna Be Adored”
    2. “Sally Cinnamon”
    3. “(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister”
    4. “Where Angels Play”
    5. “Shoot You Down”
    6. “Waterfall”
    7. “Don’t Stop”
    8. “Tightrope”
    9. “Fools Gold”
    10. “Standing Here”
    11. “Something’s Burning”
    12. “She Bangs The Drums”
    13. “Made Of Stone”
    14. “Love Spreads”

15. “I Am The Resurrection”
    Mersey Paradise and Elephant Stone were the only the only songs I could think of that I'd have liked to hear, that they didn't play.

Overall, they were MUCH better than I'd expected, based on what I'd heard (both discussion - and from older bootlegs). Ian's vocals were a weak throughout. The only time that I thought they were going to completely fall apart was on Fool's Gold. They started into a super jammy version, which started out quite well... then it started to fall apart, having gotten way too sloppy (and Ian sounded terrible). Fortunately Squire's solo pulled it back together and they finished strong from there. The the set list was only 13 songs, quite a few of those were really extended versions.

The crowd was so rowdy, so drunk, so into it. Mostly Brits, dancing and singing along the entire time. I'm so glad I went. I have a bad feeling they either won't stick together long enough to do a US tour, or that there simply won't be the interest.

PS they opened with I Wanna Be Adored, the entire crowd singing along first (relatively) softly, then practically shouting. I'm not a very emotional person but I was in tears when they opened :P

Normally the excessive crowd singalongs annoy me, but Ian's voice is so poor that it doesn't really do any harm to the show, and plus, people were SO excited to be there that it was pretty charming.
    Last edited by chiapet; 06-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I hope you're wrong about the potential US tour. Thanks for the review!
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Why Photographers are Boycotting The Stone Roses

Something has happened to The Stone Roses and it’s not good. Over the past week a battle has been taking place over who owns the rights of any professional photographs taken of the band during their forthcoming reunion concerts.

The original contract offered to photographers stated:

(For) the payment by us to you of the sum of 1 The group (to keep) all Rights in perpetuity throughout the world so as to enable us to exploit the Photographs and the Rights as we (and/or they) deem fit without further reference or payment to you. You agree to provide us with digital copies of any or all of the Photographs upon request.

Photographers and artists own the rights to their images unless they sign those rights away. The Roses wanted them to sign all future rights away for a lousy quid, or around a buck-fifty.

As acclaimed photographer Ian Tilton told Dangerous Minds, ‘This kind of contract maybe standard when a band pays for a dedicated professional photographer to shoot a performance, but not for invited Press Photographers.

‘A standard contract would always agree to credit the photographers name.

‘A photographer employed by a top band to take photos at a gig, to be used by the band for publicity purposes only would earn 350-1000 to take the photos. If the band then want to use the photos in a book the payment would be 80 to 250 per picture. If they wanted to use it on a CD or DVD cover the fee would be an extra few hundred pounds. The Stone Roses were just willing to pay 1 for an ALL RIGHTS buyout. This is insulting exploitation at its worst. - sign the contract and give the Roses ALL RIGHTS or they won’t allow the photographer to take any pictures at the gigs.’

Outraged by The Stone Roses’ contract demands, Tilton organized a campaign via his Facebook page, for press photographers to boycott The Stone Roses tour. After a flurry of texts of emails, a new photo release form was issued on behalf of the band, which now included the following:

The license hereby granted to you to photograph the artist is limited to the above grant only and NO right to sell, license or reproduce the material for advertising or commercial purposes (e.g., for use as posters, calendars, T-shirts, biographies, etc.) either to be sold, to be distributed free or to be otherwise exploited in any manner whatsoever. Nor may any material arising from the said session be reproduced in any publication devoted exclusively or predominantly to the artist unless prior permission has been obtained from THE STONE ROSES and their management.

It would seem that The Stone Roses have become so greedy that they not only want to control their image, but want to exploit others’ work.

As Tilton explained to DM, the reason it is important for photographers to own copyright of their work is because:

‘Photographers employed by magazines get paid only around 40-80 per shot. Most online magazines pay expenses only. If photographers sell their images on after this ‘first use’ (called syndicating via an agency) they can earn between 20 and 250 per image - and the agency takes 50% of this amount. So you see how important it is to be able to syndicate images after their first use. The better the photo - the more chance it will get used again and again in the future.’

In a statement posted on his FB page, Ian Tilton explained why he and other photographers are against signing this new contract:

‘No - not signing it as it stands. It gives away most of our legal rights to earn future money off our photos. I refuse to sign their contract. I refuse to be made to ask the Stone Roses if my photos can be published in books or used in exhibitions in the future. They should not have control over my ‘art’ - I am the creator and I will control who uses it. That is what the current British law says so why do they want to change it and control our photographs, and control our financial income, outside of the British laws.

They were going to spring the original ‘exploitation contract’ on us when we arrived at Heaton Park but we found out about it. Their new replacement contract is controlling, immoral and takes away our rights that have been hard-won by brave people over the past few decades.

We have the choice to carry on with the boycott and be empowered now and for the future or….we set a precedent to be controlled and disempowered by greedy people.

EACH OF YOU is individually responsible for your own future as photographers and the future of all working photographers YES YOU ARE.’

Ian has also sent the following letter to The Stone Roses Press and Publicity Agent, Murray Chalmers:

Letter to STONE ROSES Press/Publicity Agent - Murray Chalmers at 1pm on Tuesday:

Murray,

It gives away most of our legal rights to earn future money off our photos. I don’t want to sign a contract that means I will have to ask the Stone Roses if my photos can be published in books or used in exhibitions in the future. They should not have artistic control over my art - I am the creator and I will control who uses it. That is what the current British law says so why do the Roses want to change that and control our photographs, and control our financial income, outside of the British laws.

Most photographers who will be photographing them live at Heaton Park will only be earning between 40 and nothing for their efforts. They rely on being able to syndicate their images to earn extra monies to pay the rent and afford that expensive equipment needed to take great pictures. Surely having great photos of the band freely circulating this can only be good for the band.

They were going to spring the original ‘exploitation contract’ on us when we arrived at Heaton Park but we found out about it. Their new replacement contract is still controlling, immoral and takes away our rights and income that have been hard-won by brave people over the past few decades.

Please will the Roses open communication with us and share their thoughts and feelings. They too are artists so surely, there are no major differences between us.

I’m finding it hard to reconcile that this contract has come from the band I know and love. It is inconsistent with the characters of the individuals I worked with, respected and was friends with when they were on their rise.

They were exploited by record companies and managers so I hoped they would have empathy and understanding for us photographer/artists, borne out of their difficult past personal experiences.

I love the Roses and feel saddened by all this.

Ian Tilton

The Stone Roses, or those representing them, have got this wrong, and the sooner this error is corrected, then the better it is for the rights of photographers to earn a living from their work.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/commen...he_stone_roses

12/18 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Good Room
    12/19 Matthew Dear/Paco Osuna @ Verboten
    12/20 Solomun/Adriatique/David August @ TBA

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.