Thread: Coachella on a budget

Question Coachella on a budget

If anyone knows me, they know I save all year for Coachella. Thank Goddess that I bought my tickets and camping arrangements earlier, but in the past month, I had to move out, get my own place, totaled my car and had to get a new one (right after getting new brakes for my old one), and got a botched root canal. This year I owe on taxes instead of the sweet $2,000 I usually get and schedule to receive right after Coachella. Needless to say, this year is tight.

Just looking at the calendar, bills and whatnot trying to figure out how to optimize the little $$ I have.. like what to spend on with cash, and credit. How do ya'll do it? Do you use plastic the whole time, or save up all your cash and when it's out, its out?

I took out an extra credit card in case of an emergency, (lesson learned from last year.. got stranded in the camping area with no ride and lugging gear for 4 people), but confused as to which to pay for gas, and what a reasonable limit is.
    My only reference is my first year, back in 2002, but I didn't even know it was a festival back then. I went with complete strangers and it was on a whim. I took $150. and one change of clothes and called it a weekend! Now I'm responsible for 3 newbies.. this is going to be interesting.

so any suggestions from those of you in the money business, would be delightfully appreciated.

and for those of you who just can't help but post rude/sarcastic comments ... at least be funny.

Default Re: Coachella on a budget

Good luck on the humor department.

I am always limited in funds and for me it is usually whats left of my refund. But maybe shop for food before hand and limit to one churro for the whole weekend. Get some bicycle beer and call it a day.

Beef Jerky is your friend
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I honestly don't know how much to take since this is my first time. As of right now I only have to worry about gas, food and booze. Since I have two jobs (a full time and a part time) I decided to take my entire part time check with me which should be rougly $200 and some extra cash that I have set aside.

How much would you guys suggest on how much I should take? This is my first time and I don't want to come home broke.

If you're the type of person who has to eat a full meal (as in more than just a slice of pizza) for lunch and dinner, you're looking at probably $7-$13 bucks including drink/side per meal. Waters are $2/bottle and if you're good, you can find 10 empty bottles on the ground and trade them in for one new bottle. Beers I think are $8 or $9 a pop. Merch is usually $25-$30 for a tshirt and $50-$75 for a hoodie. If you camp, it's easier to save money cause you can buy all your food from a grocery story and just go back out to your campsite to eat your meals, if you're okay with leaving the festival for an extended period of time (I can't even imagine doing that). Just sit down and think about each individual expense. Gas is anywhere from $4.00 - $4.20/gallon in Palm Springs right now. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

i dont camp so im not sure how much a person camping can actually spend the entire weekend.
    as for taking money while in the festival, i always take $300 for the 3 days and usually i end up with $100 leftover.
    Mind you this is me eating one meal and one snack while inside, a coachella plastic water bottle so i can get free refills and about 2 or 3 beers per day. I dont buy merch and i always eat breakfast out side of the grounds before getting in...Keep in mind though with the heat, your not always hungry.
    meow

Thanks, guys. I think the motto this year is minimal.
    I usually go stacked to Coachella cuz of tax returns and phat end of season paychecks.
    not this time!

Ok, so I guess my big concern is gas to and from Salt Lake. It'll be tricky, because I am picking up 3 girls and all their gear in Vegas, so I can only take a stranger or two from Craigslist or whatever that far, and then I get help with gas there.. stupid turbo engine Forester.... I miss my Civic already. guess I'll use the new credit card for that.

Let's see, then I'm hoping $100 will cover grub for the whole weekend. To include store bought coffee, instant oatmeal, granola bars for the venue, and probably two Spicy Pies, after-hour snacks, booze and mixers. I'm sneaking in booze, so no need to buy expensive beer. Those big ass 5 gallon water things cost what, $10? Four girls will need two of those, right?
    I always get merch, so another $100 on that.. jesus..

Can I tell you how happy I am that I already bought all our sweet camping gear so at least we're set there?!

um, does anyone want to buy my locker for face value?

Dont get merch?

At my broker moments in life, it was better to get here and jam and not have to worry about a tshirt or a poster etc. That's an extra $60-120 - plus there is the warehouse sale (prepare to rumble) this year so you don't necessarily have to buy something brand new, you could find some good oldies.

Take pictures and videos, fuck everyone who looks at you like you're an asshole. Best time of the year ever.

Yes I am.

Never think you have enough water if you are camping, if end your sentence with "that should be enough" get more. The recycle program was a life saver last year but be weary about doing it later at night. They closed at eight or nine last year, and even ran out of water entirely on Saturday night. Without a doubt it's cheaper to to buy food beforehand and just eat at the campsite, same with drinking your own smuggled booze. You basically have it down, a hundred should easily get you through, maybe cut back on the merch?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

You're probably right about that too, considering I'm bringing a solar shower. but i'm not cutting the merch, I live for that stuff.
    dammit.
    I did pretty good last year with the water thing in the venue, however. Found the secret hoses back in 2006 and been going back ever since.
    Still have some last minute shopping to do, too. Wet wipes, shoes, booze, zip fizz, camera batteries, ... Ay. I hate being poor unexpectedly. Did I mention I will come back home unemployed?! I'm doing a pit stop in Vegas. Learning to play poker so I can win some rent money.

Being on a tight budget for Coachella sort of sucks, but the fact that you refuse to not buy merch makes me think that your situation isn't anything to worry about.

meh. I'm a girl. I'd rather buy a sweet, made-over dress from a past tshirt than eat.

I just hope I don't spend the whole credit card on gas, because that doesn't look hot on anyone.

Make them split gas cost with you. Bring your own food a lot of snacks, peanut butter, bananas, and a bunch of stuff like that. You can do the whole festival on $60 also get some protien bars.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    plus there is the warehouse sale (prepare to rumble) this year so you don't necessarily have to buy something brand new, you could find some good oldies.
    Wait, what?

from the camping page
    VINTAGE COACHELLA MERCH WAREHOUSE SALE @ DOWN & DERBY ROLLER RINK
    Friday - Sunday 8am - 12p on the Down & Derby roller rink.
    Shirts will be $5 and a hoodies will be $10.
    You have to skim the website frequently - they're not using the "News" feature to alert people to updates this year.
    Last edited by Stickjohn; 04-05-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    If you haven't already found someone, one of the board regulars was looking for a locker. You can PM him.
    http://coachella.com/forum/member.php?u=4084
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    from the camping page

You have to skim the website frequently - they're not using the "News" feature to alert people to updates this year.
    Oh man.

Clif bars, water, booze. They'll get you through a lot.

As a fellow girl I also just dropped most of my food/VIP shower money on clothes for Coachella.

WORTH IT
    Coachella 09.10.11...

Catch my set at Coachella 2011
    at the Energy FACTory Stage: Saturday 5:45PM!

Next to the Sahara Tent

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    I just sent you a PM. Pick me!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.