Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

  1. #1

    Default What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Hello Everybody, so I was reading this thread "Bands to Avoid in order to Avoid Hipsters"

    http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44002

    And I started wondering; 'What the F' is a Hipster anyway?'

    I know the term hipster can be used derogatorily to define a group of people who are trying too hard to be cool, or are trying to be cool by trying too hard to be uncool, or basically for anyone in their 20's who doesn't have a career(this would make you a yuppie). Most of the time I see the term used by one group of people towards another as a form of pretentious banter. So I am wondering, What does it mean to you when A: someone calls you a hipster? and B: When you call someone a hipster?

    So eh, Basically, What the F' is a F'in Hipster??

  2. #2

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Talking about hipsters as some sort of social leech as you wax on about some other bullshit that is just as hipster is the quickest way to show that you're a shallow douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

  3. #3
    Member Vic Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

  4. #4
    old school CrimesceneCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,950

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??


  5. #5

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    At one point (50 years ago or so) the word had meaning, I guess, but now it's basically the above image. It means everything and nothing, and it's almost exclusively used as derogatory so it's mostly just a slur you use for (young, fashionable) people you dislike. It literally has no meaning whatsoever and I wish people would stop using it.

  6. #6
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,439

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    Look at the fucking lack of updates.
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go

  7. #7
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,418

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??


  8. #8
    Member Vic Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Look at the fucking lack of updates.
    fucking lack of hipsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by AnIMASTIcuS View Post
    Ok furnace le douche
    Re-read what I wrote before you start taking offense over something so stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    At one point (50 years ago or so) the word had meaning, I guess, but now it's basically the above image. It means everything and nothing, and it's almost exclusively used as derogatory so it's mostly just a slur you use for (young, fashionable) people you dislike. It literally has no meaning whatsoever and I wish people would stop using it.
    yeah after WWII all the young folks who were bums became hipsters.... Jack Kerouac and all that jazz.. right?

  11. #11
    Member GeminiDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The arctic circle
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    For me (and I suspect many others) there is a fine line between being young and hip and being a hipster. In other words, I've met many a fedora and/or vintage clothes wearing, PBR drinking, obscure thing appreciating person and not thought of them as a douche but rather a fun, cool person who likes express themselves. Then there's the hipster- it's all the above stuff with a huge portion of pretension, laziness (lives off his/her parent's accomplishments) and overall shitty attitude that annoys the fuck out of you.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched moonbeams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...

  12. #12
    old school Cheddar's Cousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    2,686

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    A hipster is anyone who
    A) Has been called a hipster.
    B) Has been offended by being labled as such.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

  13. #13

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    To me a hipster is basically someone pretending to be someone they aren't, because they have no real identity of their own. They attempt to become involved in relatively obscure and none mainstream parts of culture, but in reality they are just following the true trendsetters instead of thinking for themselves. They are basically consumers (of art, music, fashion etc), but they are not authentic in their "likes" despite how hard they try to convince you or themselves otherwise. It is someone that only goes through the motions, but gains no deeper understanding or insight into the things that they profess to like. Liking a certain band does not necessarily make you a hipster because it depends more on the reason you like the band. If you are trying to fit some mold or ideal you have in your head by liking said band, then you are probably a hipsterish. However if you truely connect with a message or feeling that the music expresses then you are not. So its not always easy to spot a hipster because you don't really know that person and are simply passing a judgement on them. That said, many are blatantly obvious about it.

    Are there alot of hipsters at Coachella? Of course. Are there alot of people there that are authentic and are really connecting with and enjoying everything this festival has to offer? The majority it seems to me, though that may be decreasing over the years. Who really cares though? This is just what I imagine when I think of "hipsters."

    Are YOU a hipster?

  14. #14
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,654

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    A hipster is anyone who
    A) Has been called a hipster.
    B) Has been offended by being labled as such.
    QFT

  15. #15
    Member dcbell05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    519

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    So attending or not attending a certain bands performance just because of the people that will be showing up (not because of what you actually think of the music) woudl then make you a hipster right? So if someone says all the hipsters are going to attend Arcade Fire and you like AF's music, but don't want to be around hipsters, then you yourself would be a Hipster for avoiding what you DO like?
    Don't worry about hipsters or you will be a hipster? Do what you do cause you like the music. Don't pay attention to who else is coming.

  16. #16
    Member MusicIsMyBoyfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    1,433

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    To me a hipster is basically someone pretending to be someone they aren't, because they have no real identity of their own. They attempt to become involved in relatively obscure and none mainstream parts of culture, but in reality they are just following the true trendsetters instead of thinking for themselves. They are basically consumers (of art, music, fashion etc), but they are not authentic in their "likes" despite how hard they try to convince you or themselves otherwise. It is someone that only goes through the motions, but gains no deeper understanding or insight into the things that they profess to like. Liking a certain band does not necessarily make you a hipster because it depends more on the reason you like the band. If you are trying to fit some mold or ideal you have in your head by liking said band, then you are probably a hipsterish. However if you truely connect with a message or feeling that the music expresses then you are not. So its not always easy to spot a hipster because you don't really know that person and are simply passing a judgement on them. That said, many are blatantly obvious about it.
    This and also, I think an indicator of someone being a Hipster (or the dirtiest version of the word) is a fickleness in what they are consuming as you say. Jumping from trend to trend, band to band etc., and then abandoning said band or trend at the slightest whiff of uncoolness. IE the whole "I am cooler than you because I liked that (insert band/artists/fashion trend) before it was cool to do so, but no longer do because you like them now, so it is no longer cool to like them and infact I now detest the very sight of them and your slow adoption of them, so I consequently detest you." attitude. I mean it's one thing to outgrow something you once loved, but to completely forsake it or erase it from your past because it could ruin your current cred is lame. I am a fan, and my (insert now seemingly lame band/artist/trend) are part of my history and who I have become today. I embrace them all.

  17. #17
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    A hipster is a kid who miserably attempts to act like us

  18. #18

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??


  19. #19
    Member shaggyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    949

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    For some reason if you Google "Hipster" and select Images you will find this picture of me from Coachella 2008 within the first 10 images. No joke



    I hardly remember this. I was wasted out of my mind... waiting for Roger Waters to come on. Good times, great oldies.
    U MAD?

  20. #20
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    hahaha! Congratulations!

  21. #21

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    To me a hipster is basically someone pretending to be someone they aren't, because they have no real identity of their own. They attempt to become involved in relatively obscure and none mainstream parts of culture, but in reality they are just following the true trendsetters instead of thinking for themselves. They are basically consumers (of art, music, fashion etc), but they are not authentic in their "likes" despite how hard they try to convince you or themselves otherwise. It is someone that only goes through the motions, but gains no deeper understanding or insight into the things that they profess to like. Liking a certain band does not necessarily make you a hipster because it depends more on the reason you like the band. If you are trying to fit some mold or ideal you have in your head by liking said band, then you are probably a hipsterish. However if you truely connect with a message or feeling that the music expresses then you are not. So its not always easy to spot a hipster because you don't really know that person and are simply passing a judgement on them. That said, many are blatantly obvious about it.

    Are there alot of hipsters at Coachella? Of course. Are there alot of people there that are authentic and are really connecting with and enjoying everything this festival has to offer? The majority it seems to me, though that may be decreasing over the years. Who really cares though? This is just what I imagine when I think of "hipsters."

    Are YOU a hipster?
    cool story bro.

  22. #22
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,671

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    The latest trend in pop culture

  23. #23
    Member emllik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Bernardino, Ca
    Posts
    655

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by AnIMASTIcuS View Post
    Hello Everybody, so I was reading this thread "Bands to Avoid in order to Avoid Hipsters"

    http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44002

    And I started wondering; 'What the F' is a Hipster anyway?'

    I know the term hipster can be used derogatorily to define a group of people who are trying too hard to be cool, or are trying to be cool by trying too hard to be uncool, or basically for anyone in their 20's who doesn't have a career(this would make you a yuppie). Most of the time I see the term used by one group of people towards another as a form of pretentious banter. So I am wondering, What does it mean to you when A: someone calls you a hipster? and B: When you call someone a hipster?

    So eh, Basically, What the F' is a F'in Hipster??
    Next thing, this anti-cres hipster is going to be asking what THA EFF crescent fresh is. Hep, giggity.

  24. #24
    Member emllik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Bernardino, Ca
    Posts
    655

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    For some reason if you Google "Hipster" and select Images you will find this picture of me from Coachella 2008 within the first 10 images. No joke



    I hardly remember this. I was wasted out of my mind... waiting for Roger Waters to come on. Good times, great oldies.
    Kola 99.9? Fuck man... I say "Good times, great oldies" whenever the "good times" thought comes to me.... and no one gets it. Bastards.

  25. #25
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,239

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    This picture fails. No headband, war paint, feather, dayglo, mucsle shirt wearin idiots in it. Looks more like a GAP ad than evolution of the hipster.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    641

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    flannel, trucker hats, and attitude. Yuppie Scum. The only original thoughts they have are how to be unoriginal. Peacocks flaunting ruffled feathers.

  27. #27

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    So, if you'd gather the info from this thread everyone from white kids in indian headdresses to jersey gore dbags to pbr beardos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

  28. #28
    Member lolswaglol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego/Fullerton
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    This thread is Ironic

  29. #29
    old school Stickjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

    Red-eyed and bleary, they sit hunched over their laptops, wading through a sea of similarity to find their own (momentarily) thrilling instant of perfected hipster-ness.

  30. #30
    old school frizzlefry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,684

    Default Re: What the F' is a Hipster Anyway??

    Hipsters give beards, flannel, Ray Bans, and PBR a bad name. I've liked all of these for completely genuine reasons and have not found them ironic for years. Beards make me look awesome and I hate shaving, flannel keeps me warm and cozy, I've been wearing Ray Bans for years (since my greaser phase in high school, embarrassing...yes) I think they fit my face best and are near indestructible, and PBR is one of the best dirt cheap beers you can find. And cracked has a good article on hipsters...surprised no one has put it up yet.
    http://www.cracked.com/funny-4573-hipster/
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Similar Threads

  1. Look at this fucking hipster
    By Young blood in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM
  2. LOL @ Hipster Olympics
    By Jankypirate in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 04:36 PM
  3. Look at this fucking hipster
    By Stefachink in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:32 AM
  4. Are you a hipster?
    By psychoc&ndy in forum Polls
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
  5. Hipster Moustaches?
    By malcolmjamalawesome in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •