Thread: I mourn the bands before RATM

Default I mourn the bands before RATM

You know I love Rage live. Was at the first Coachella when they played, good stuff. Though I mourn that hardcore RATM fans have to be in the audience before they take the stage, as the other bands will be playing before them. Now don't get me wrong, out of ANY group of people there are the open minded. Still I expect it will end up something like last year before Tool:
    Massive Attack plays their set, and rarely is it that a band puts together such a massive (no pun intended) group of people, with unique music and great visuals for a show. It was a real treat.
    YET the crowd was flooded with Tool-heads. Sadly one of the most intelligent and interesting bands of this era has some of the most stupid and narrow minded fans. Instead of getting to enjoy the show, it was an erruption of "Get off the stage," or "Hurry up, we want tooooool (in drunken voice)," or ofcourse the simple and characteristic angry/drunken chant of "Tool Tool TOOL," which ofcourse seems so appropriate considering who's chanting it.
    Like I said, not all fans of more agressive music are like this. And many of them save it for when THEIR band is on. Though I see it SOO much as I got to mostly agressive or ecclectic concerts. It's almost embarrassing when these people are in the crowd though. Good rule of thumb: Have some tact, go f-in crazy when YOUR band comes out, but if someone else's is on the stage show a little freakin respect.
    -e

Default Re: I mourn the bands before RATM

i most certainly agree.

i was in the middle of the crowd for MA but didn't care to be stuck with an insane pit with Tool so my friend and I hiked back up to where the first vendors started. it was pretty open. lots of people chilling, laying down, just relaxing. we smoked a j and watched tool from a far. I enjoyed it a lot more than being down in there.

I was actually only there for tool and had never heard anything from massive attack, but damn was I happy to be there. Massive Attack was fucking mind blowing and I would pay big money to see them again.

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by toolisbomb View Post
    I was actually only there for tool and had never heard anything from massive attack, but damn was I happy to be there. Massive Attack was fucking mind blowing and I would pay big money to see them again.
    Same here, I mean I was really there to see all kinds of bands but seeing Tool for the first time in so long was the hook. I was completely taken with what massive attack put on the stage. Though like this other poster... my friend and I got tired of the a@@holes, and it seemed like no matter where we went, same crap. So we went back by the vendors, threw down a towel and just chilled to them.

Beautifully put.

First of all let me say that I completely agree with your sentiments. I am a "hardcore rage fan" but I definitely won't be doing crap like hurrying off the band right before them. I'll just be standing there awestruck that that I'm getting to see them play live

gracias, apreciate the kudos and glad to hear that there will be many people there to enjoy music, not just to heckle those trying to entertain you

It's not just Tool or RATM fans. Bjork fans were by far the rudest group *ever* at Coachella. I'd never witnessed such levels of assholery as the throngs of "I'm here for Bjork and only Bjork" jerks at that Coachella

...probably the Roots or Manu Chao in the pre-Rage slot, no? They could both be a good warmup.

...actually, the issue is when bands have tried to go on AFTER Rage. Tool was always the only band who could do it. I remember the Chili Peppers coming on after Rage had blown the first Tibetan Freedom Fest in SF to pieces....just feeble. One reporter later referred to it as - "like jerking off after great sex."

Quote Originally Posted by toggle View Post
    ...p One reporter later referred to it as - "like jerking off after great sex."

Thats whats going to happen after Chili Peppers have to follow Arcade Fire...

could be, but at least if people leave, they aren't really bothering anyone.

I wasn't aware that Bjork fans had that sort of attitude. Probably not the worst out there though... lets just be glad there are no Juggalos

I totally agree.... Tool fans almost ruined MA and Tool for me (note:ALMOST). I was yelling "Massive Attack!!!" in a feeble attempt to counter their rudeness

Manu before Rage seems like the right way to go, and trust me Manu is not a warm up, you get exhausted during his set.

I think a lot of people are going to leave after Arcade Fire.. My friend who is a big Chili Peppers fan loves that but is still confused as to why that will happen...

yeah it sure doesn't seem like there is much enthusiasm for RHCP this year, i mean I am curious because I've never seen them... but ever since BSSM they seem to have gone steadily downhill. but hey, maybe they will rock, i have been suprised many times.

Blood sugar sex magic...I hope too that they will play more old stuff, I don't even know any songs from their last two albums...

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I think a lot of people are going to leave after Arcade Fire.
    I'm kind of expecting Arcade Fire to headline the second stage.

i hope arcade fire plays during sunset again no matter where it is. it's just the right time for them--even if theyre sub-headliners

Yeah Yeah Yeahs wew AWSOME at sunset last year, not that the horizon added ambiance really, they just rocked rocked rocked into the night

the red hot chilli peppers should just quit or relapse or something. their music is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by b4ipineaway View Post
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs wew AWSOME at sunset last year, not that the horizon added ambiance really, they just rocked rocked rocked into the night
    Totally agree. It was perfect...the temp dropped to a comfortable level, everything got that dusky just-before-sunset look to it, and my wine buzz was at the perfect level. And to top it off, I'm watching YYY's play live. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Man I can't wait for this year's Coachella!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post

I want to be on the forefront of change, so when the nippless revolution starts, I'm going to lead the charge.

rofl, you know, i didn't even GO to the mainstage untill the second day last year... this year... second day might end up being the only day i neglect it

I was pretty far back for Massive Attack and I didn't witness any of this obnoxious stuff people are claiming. I was just lying down on the ground after the post-Madonna train wreck, listening to the distant sounds of Mogwai (they were THAT loud), stoned out of my mind (had started freaking out in the Sahara tent before Madonna), and Massive Attack finally came out, and "False Flags" was so good that I had to somehow manage to stand up and watch their set, despite not having energy or a view.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I was pretty far back for Massive Attack and I didn't witness any of this obnoxious stuff people are claiming. I was just lying down on the ground after the post-Madonna train wreck, listening to the distant sounds of Mogwai (they were THAT loud), stoned out of my mind (had started freaking out in the Sahara tent before Madonna), and Massive Attack finally came out, and "False Flags" was so good that I had to somehow manage to stand up and watch their set, despite not having energy or a view.
    sounds nice, yeah, you didn't see them BECAUSE you were far back, they were all compressing and pushing their way to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by b4ipineaway View Post
    You know I love Rage live. Was at the first Coachella when they played, good stuff. Though I mourn that hardcore RATM fans have to be in the audience before they take the stage, as the other bands will be playing before them. Now don't get me wrong, out of ANY group of people there are the open minded. Still I expect it will end up something like last year before Tool:
    Massive Attack plays their set, and rarely is it that a band puts together such a massive (no pun intended) group of people, with unique music and great visuals for a show. It was a real treat.
    YET the crowd was flooded with Tool-heads. Sadly one of the most intelligent and interesting bands of this era has some of the most stupid and narrow minded fans. Instead of getting to enjoy the show, it was an erruption of "Get off the stage," or "Hurry up, we want tooooool (in drunken voice)," or ofcourse the simple and characteristic angry/drunken chant of "Tool Tool TOOL," which ofcourse seems so appropriate considering who's chanting it.
    Like I said, not all fans of more agressive music are like this. And many of them save it for when THEIR band is on. Though I see it SOO much as I got to mostly agressive or ecclectic concerts. It's almost embarrassing when these people are in the crowd though. Good rule of thumb: Have some tact, go f-in crazy when YOUR band comes out, but if someone else's is on the stage show a little freakin respect.
    -e
    I couldn’t agree More!! MA absolutely blew me away last year. But the chanting of tool became annoying very quickly. I was able to come across the bootleg of the MA set after. The audio was incredible but the non stop tool tool tool ruins it. However I’m not sure who’s following can be worse in a setting like coachella. I guess only time will tell

hey, a bootleg eh? could you tell me what were the names of the first 2 or 3 songs they played? i've been wondering ever since

I have been telling myself since that band broke up that if they ever got back together i would fly basically anywhere to seem them.

Im glad I get a chance to do it in three months.

manu will be the perfect opener for rage, just because his extreme fanbase will show up by the thousands. however, i bet he gets stuck on the outdoor stage.

this guy still has to tell me about his bootleg