Thread: Question about wanting to see a headlining band...

Default Question about wanting to see a headlining band...

Yes, I am a noob to Coachella this year and I can hardly contain my excitement. I've almost found my self explode at times just thinking about it. But I have had one burning question... how long ahead of time to should I get to the main stage if I want to be pretty much right up front to see my favorite headliner? Should I wait all day? Not? Arrive a little bit early or what? Because I want to be up front for my favorite headliner but I also want to enjoy my festival experience. Thanks!

Default Re: Question about wanting to see a headlining band...

It depends on the act. I've been able to get right up front by just waiting for the act before to finish, then as the crowd leaves for them you swim against the tide and get it. You'll get pretty close for most. That way you don't waste your time watching a bunch of acts you don't want to see. If you have to be against the rail near the center for a BIG name (Arcade Fire) better get there a few acts before.

I caught Oasis and Verve up front off to the side but against the rail by just moving up as the crowd before them left.

Quote Originally Posted by easyeddie View Post
    Yes, I am a noob to Coachella this year and I can hardly contain my excitement. I've almost found my self explode at times just thinking about it. But I have had one burning question... how long ahead of time to should I get to the main stage if I want to be pretty much right up front to see my favorite headliner? Should I wait all day? Not? Arrive a little bit early or what? Because I want to be up front for my favorite headliner but I also want to enjoy my festival experience. Thanks!
    Just be realistic - you may have to leave the prior act a little early (say 15 minutes) to get across the field and situated for the act you want to see next, and then wait during the setup/transition. Don't be one of those people that as soon as the first song starts goes rushing the stage and bowling over everybody ahead of you. If there is nowhere to go, you lost out. Just because you are dancing through the crowd doesn't mean that others will let you get closer either. Oh, and my girlfriend has no problem coldcocking anybody that shoves her.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I agree, try to catch either the entire act before, or at least the last half of the act before if it's a huge name you want to see (i.e. Kanye West). I'd also suggest making sure you hit the bathrooms and get some water/food beforehand so that you don't have any need to leave. You can just hunker down and wait for the magic!

For Tiesto in 07, I watched RHCP in the back when they were done I went to the front and I was raving in the front row. But yeah, you should be fine just sitting there an act or 2 before it.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Unless it's a big headliner and you want the front rail, then you gotta hunker down way before that and it's not all that fun.

screw trying to get up front for headliners - sit back and listen and watch the big video screens.

Thanks for your answers guys! It really is a big help. And if anyone else has any more tips or answers keep on posting as well.

It will be really interesting to see what The Creator's Project does to the stages this year; might be a better view from further back.

I can guarantee that if you wait for them one act before (which will probably still be a good act - it is the main stage after all) then you will have plenty of opportunity to push forward and also be satisfied with whoever you just saw play.

The night bands on the main stage are ALL AWESOME! Year after year it gets more crowded...so if you are dying to get to see your favorite band up front plan on showing up at the main stage 3 bands prior to your favorite...as many will set up their place after dinner at the main stage and they won't move.

Weaving your way to the front won't work after 7pm...it's just too thick.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

all depends on the band before the headliner. i showed up 3-4 songs before pavement finished last year and was on the rail for gorillaz....until i saw my friend and he brought me into the photo pit
    Last edited by JustSteve; 03-30-2011 at 11:51 AM.

In my opinion I think being on the rail isn't all too great. I think the best place to see a show is about anywhere in front of the engineer (FOH). I saw Jay Z there and was able to see everything from the show on the stage to the big screens without hurting my neck. The only reason I would want to be front row is if i was short. But I'm not.
    Shawty be gettin it in

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin da DnB Soulja View Post
    For Tiesto in 07
    hm.. maybe you really are the worst

Quote Originally Posted by thewoodenman View Post
    hm.. maybe you really are the worst
    I was drunk and following the group.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

This is all helping me out in different ways! Thanks everyone!

Dude if you're dying to see someone it can totally be worth it to get a spot very close, especially since while you wait you'll get to see other good acts. I got into the pit for Jay-Z at Bonnaroo and was maybe 5 people from the front and it was one of my favorite shows I've ever seen. There's a decent enough gap between the stage and the front rail that it's not like being up front at some venues where it fucks up your view and sometimes even the sound. Highly recommended you gather a crew to stake out a spot so you can take a pee or food break as needed. As an above poster said though any spot in front of the sound booth is usually very nice, but if you dedicate some time you will have no problem getting a good spot just weave closer after each act ends.

And I'm curious, who is your favorite headliner of the bunch?
    That which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

Hooked since '06

Check my latest music video

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin da DnB Soulja View Post
    For Tiesto in 07, I watched RHCP in the back when they were done I went to the front and I was raving in the front row. But yeah, you should be fine just sitting there an act or 2 before it.
    the main stage cleared out after RHCP, wasn't that hard to be up close for tiesto. just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by elChurro View Post
    Perry lives beneath the polo grounds. A ritual must be performed for his awakening but only after a band/dj/performance art cancellation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    Perhaps an appropriate conversation starter would have been: "pardon me sir, would you mind taking your finger out of your girlfriends asshole? We're trying to enjoy LCD Soundsystem."

Being on the rail is awful. I was on the rail for Spoon last year and I got freaking crushed. I pushed up front during De La Soul, then I had to sit through another (soul-suckingly boring) set, and finally I got to see Spoon. It wasn't worth the sweating and the getting crushed. I couldn't even move to dance.

For Vampire Weekend I was 8-10 people back from the rail and that was awesome. I had room to dance, and I was just squished enough to get the fun crowd feeling, but not so squished that I couldn't breathe.

For Jay Z, I stood really far away, watched the monitors and danced my fucking ass off. It was way more fun that the rail.

Gooftroop, since you asked who my favorite headliner of the bunch is, it is definitely The Strokes. I listen to them every day and have always died to watch them live. But I'm also very excited to see Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, and Interpol. So as you can see I plan on seeing all of the headliners so that's why this was a big question haha.

The sound often sucks at the rail.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

old school

Quote Originally Posted by easyeddie View Post
    how long ahead of time to should I get to the main stage if I want to be pretty much right up front to see my favorite headliner? Should I wait all day? Not? Arrive a little bit early or what? Because I want to be up front for my favorite headliner but I also want to enjoy my festival experience. Thanks!
    Kings Of Leon: you'll be able to walk right up to the rail at any point during their set.

Arcade Fire: i'd start getting as close as possible towards the end of whoever is before Animal Collective

Kanye West: noon. stay on the rail and don't pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Only bands I can imagine trying to get up close for are Gogol Bordello, Flogging Molly, DFA, OFF!, and Lightning Bolt. Most other acts I feel you can get the same experience from elsewhere in the crowd, but these bands will be fucking insane for the first fifteen rows of people.

EDIT: Let me slightly rephrase that, obviously being in the tent and outside the tent does count for something, but for the bigger acts I still stand by what I say.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 04-02-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    Only bands I can imagine trying to get up close for are Gogol Bordello, Flogging Molly, DFA, OFF!, and Lightning Bolt. Most other acts I feel you can get the same experience from elsewhere in the crowd, but these bands will be fucking insane for the first fifteen rows of people.
    Agreed!

KOL - you can walk up to the front at any point...you should be able to walk on stage as Security will surely be asleep and you can play the drums or keyboards if you want....no one will notice.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing