Oneohtrix Point Never
    Pelt
    Bill Orcutt
    White Rainbow
    Rene Hell
    The Rita
    Pulse Emitter
    Outer Space (John Elliott of Emeralds
    Spiral Joy Band (featuring members of Pelt)
    Telecult Powers
    James Plotkin
    Sickness
    Sword Heaven
    Leslie Keffer
    Sick Llama
    Dylan Ettinger
    Mike Shiflet
    Beau Wanzner

Schedule & Full Line-Up coming soon.
    Limited Edition NMF pin for anyone who buys a complete pass.

A few words about some the artists:

Morton Subotnick: Critically acclaimed American composer and the godfather of electronic music, best known for the legendary 'Silver Apples of the Moon', the first electronic work commissioned by a record company. Subotnick was among the first composers to work with electronic instrument designer Don Buchla. Buchla's modular voltage-controlled synthesizer, which he called the Electric Music Box and which was constructed partly based on suggestions by Subotnick and Sender, was both more flexible and easier to use, and its sequencing ability was integral to Subotnick's music. At a time when electronic music was highly abstract, largely concerned with pitch and timbre, with rhythm an afterthought or of no consequence and patterns largely avoided, Subotnick broke with the academic avant-gardists by including sections with regular rhythms. Its rhythmic energy perhaps has something to do with Silver Apples and 1968's The Wild Bull (another Nonesuch-commissioned work for tape; they have since been combined on a Wergo CD) being subsequently choreographed by dance companies around the world.

Oneohtrix Point Never: Brooklyn-based experimental musician Daniel Lopatin. By bringing the cosmic re-revolution to the forefront of modern day experimental music, Oneohtrix Point Never blends the old with the new. A modern purveyor of the unexplored and the unimagined, Lopatin's music is both constantly nostalgic, yet suddenly fresh. Subtle waves of gentle pads sea saw away into the abyss and leave the listener paralyzed and dreaming.

Pelt: Psychedelic noise, drone, folk band from Richmond, Virginia. They play dense, large-scale pieces of music that radiate inner warmth. They have released more than a dozen albums and a handful of minor releases primarily on the VHF Records and Eclipse Records labels as well as the band's own Klang imprint. The group toured steadily in the U.S. and referenced the work ethic of the Grateful Dead in the title of their album Rob's Choice. Notable tourmates included Harry Pussy, Charalambides and the Shadow Ring and opened for Sonic Youth.

Bill Orcutt: Guitar mastermind. Playing a four string guitar, Bill Orcutt takes blues, folk, noise, and avant minimalism to places it never dares to go. His sound is warped and mangled with rhythms that tuck and burst into an atonal orchestra. Similar the techniques used by John Fahey and other like minded musicians, Orcutts guitars has found a sound all of its own. Bill Orcutt was also a member of the highly influential noise group Harry Pussy.

The Empty Bottle: Established in 1992, this legendary Chicago venue has been hosting live music seven nights a week since it inception. With sounds ranging from rock, electronic, experimental, jazz, avant, punk, noise, EAI this venue has seen it all. It is also no stranger to festivals either. The Empty Bottle hosts the annual Wire Music Festival in conjunction with international music publication, The Wire. On top of that it has been host to the Million Tongues Festival, The Table of the Elements Fest, The Empty Bottle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music, Noise Pop Chicago, & many more. What started out as a dive bar is now a travel destination for music fans from all over the world. The Empty Bottle also has nightly drink specials and wide variety of draft & bottled beer, hard liquor, and wine.

Default Re: Neon Marshmallow Fest 2011

ridiculous lineup already. sure to get better. don't think I can swing it, but I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Yeah, too bad it's so far away. If it was somewhere that I could drive to in a day I'd definitely go.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

if i make it, it'll be just saturday and sunday... we'll see...

What? Morton Subotnick?! Fucking awesome. Although fucking booooooo to Empty Bottle. That place is tiny and has shitty sound despite being a great dive venue, especially compared to how cool of a venue they had last year. I really wish the Bottle would just be satisfied with being a sleazy rock club and stop trying to branch out.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

so Subotnick was kinda meh when i saw him a couple years back... that said, it's a pretty crazy get for a festival like this. i hope he totally rocks the joint. lots of additions to come...

Does Plotkin play out much these days? Seems like that's a pretty good get too. Also, whoa that's happening way sooner this year. I'm sure I can make some of it but I'm taking a week off at the end of May for DEMF so I don't think I'm going to be in a position to request a ton of days off around then (assuming I'm still employed).

i don't think plotkin plays very often, but i'm not sure. he hasn't released much recently either, although he masters all kinds of stuff these days. if i remember right he played one of the previous festivals, but I could be wrong.

So, decided I am going to do this instead of Movement. Really excited for OPN, Subotnick, Orcutt, and Rene Hell. I've heard good things about Pelt. Where should I get started?

Ugh. Can't afford this. I should really try to see if I can cover it. I'm trying to finish my Movement review ASAP in hopes that they're impressed enough with it that I can cover any fest I want around Chicago.

just send them an email and ask. i doubt they are expecting much press.

A version of this is happening at Public Assembly in Williamsburg next weekend (the calender has who is playing what days, etc.)

Friday Main Event:
    + Grouper
    + Kevin Drumm
    + The Men
    + Phill Niblock
    + James Ferraro

Afterparty:
    + Xeno and Oaklander
    + DJ Spinoza (Bunker)

Saturday Main Event:
    + Tim Hecker
    + Mark Fell
    + Phoenecia
    + Blues Control

After Party:
    + Rene Hell
    + Spinoza

Sunday, Special Day (1 pm) Show:
    + Rhys Chatham
    + Loren Connors
    + Alan Licht
    + Ryley Walker

Sunday Main Event:
    + Mandlebrot & Skyy
    + La Big Vic
    + Joe Lentini
    + Forma
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

They do a good job of splitting up the artists I know/have listened to/am interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

so that lineup is unbelievable. the Friday main event is the most stacked. if i had to pick one it would be that. the whole weekend is bonkers though.

Phoenecia