Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 57585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 1999

Thread: FYF Fest 2011

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: FYF Fest 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post

EDIT: is this a boardie?

No. It's Dale Gribble's chunkier cousin, Dave Gribble.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I need to see SMD live again. They were so much fun at Coachella a few years back. I've missed them every time since.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Serious? The only song I didn't hear from them was I'm Not A Loser? Weak...
    I could of swore I'm not a loser was earlier in the set.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Also, did anyone see those two guys get knocked out during Off? Their faces completely covered in blood? Craziest pit I've seen in a while...
    I was a few feet away from this. The one guy with the curly hair had one, maybe two teeth knocked out of his mouth and was insanely pissed.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

None of you bastards saw the dead milkmen? Jerks. I should be going to Alex's bar tonight.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Simian was the best of the night. Glass Candy was awesome but Ida No's vocals were so quiet. Four Tet was really unique. No Age was a big surprise to me. So much energy.

We didn't get there til late and left early because Explosions in the Sky was super disappointing and DFA was, as predicted, incredibly annoying.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    None of you bastards saw the dead milkmen? Jerks. I should be going to Alex's bar tonight.
    I did I walked up half way thru Punk Rock Girl...They basically played almost everything I wanted to hear expect the thing that eats hippies and smoking banana peels.

Did anyone else try out those tasty fried Cuban banana's?I
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

They played smokin'. Closed out with a Surfin' Cow encore.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Olivia Tremor Control did not sound good, bad sound and it sounded like someone was out of tune.
    Four Tet was fun and probably my favorite set of the day.
    Knew nothing about Guided By Voices and left kind of annoyed and bored. My friends loved them though.
    Simian Mobile Disco was alright. It sounded like the same set I saw years ago at EDC, cliche'd false endings and all.
    Gave Explosions a chance and left after 5 minutes. Good god, people are into this noodling go nowhere shtick? I can understand it as background music, but anything else, ugh.

I didn't hate the fest like I did last year, but I didn't really care much about it. It was just kind of there. I still think that park sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I could of swore I'm not a loser was earlier in the set.
    Nope, definitely last.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin170 View Post
    Nice vids Suprefan. Anyone know what time DFA go on tonight?
    PF updates the set times thread on the goldenvoice forums fairly often. Tonight:

Death From Above 1979 9:15 PM
    Funeral Party 8:00 PM
    Doors 7:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Olivia Tremor Control did not sound good, bad sound and it sounded like someone was out of tune.
    Four Tet was fun and probably my favorite set of the day.
    Knew nothing about Guided By Voices and left kind of annoyed and bored. My friends loved them though.
    Simian Mobile Disco was alright. It sounded like the same set I saw years ago at EDC, cliche'd false endings and all.
    Gave Explosions a chance and left after 5 minutes. Good god, people are into this noodling go nowhere shtick? I can understand it as background music, but anything else, ugh.

I didn't hate the fest like I did last year, but I didn't really care much about it. It was just kind of there. I still think that park sucks ass.
    The VIP updgrade wouldve made you happy, with all the free ice cream they were handing out.

Uh oh.......

2 Days of FYF next year?

Niiiice.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

WOW. Yesterday was incredible. They definitely did their job to make this fest a LOT better. The layout of the stages worked surprisingly well. The very large beer gardens, as I suspected, did a great job of displacing the crowd. LOTS AND LOTS more food this time! Even when i stood in a super long line later in the evening it only took less than 15 minutes.

Their effort to fix the water problem was almost comical in how much they overcompensated for it. I saw booths with dozens of cases of water located directly across from each other not even 15 feet apart with the guys in them singing songs about how people need water. There were guys walking around in the bit during Guided By Voices selling water and enormous lemonades. It was awesome. ALSO, pretty much everything was right on schedule! This is something that not even Coachella can accomplish. I was impressed.

I never had to wait in line for a bathroom, which was awesome, but WOW did those thing get disgusting in the night.

Anyway, besides all of that here's a bit about the day. Traffic at the Hill exit off the 110 sucked and it took us like 30 minutes to get from the exit to the venue. After that we spent 45 minutes circling around to park, cursing ourselves for not taking the Metro. Oh well. We FINALLY find a $20 lot and were happy to dump our car off. Walked right in with no line at 1:45.

Caught about 20 minutes of Mister Heavenly, and they were a lot of fun! Ran into some boardies and then caught about 15-20 minutes of Title Fight, who I'd never heard but were very good. Moved over and got a good spot for Ty Segall, whom I had only heard good things about. Fuck, that was one of the best performances I've seen in a long time! The energy was just blistering. So good. the crowd was so nuts too. We ate a lot of dust during that one.

Next up the plan was to check out Smith Westerns but ended up relaxing and ate lunch and just listened to them from the picnic area. Got a beer and got ready for Olivia Tremor Control. I only recently started listening to these guys because of Bryan's suggestions, and not only do I love the albums but they put on a hell of a show! After that I quickly grabbed another beer and then ran right back for The Weakerthans, who also properly blew me away. So good!

Ran right over to No Age and watch from the back with some friends for the last 20 minutes of their set. They're good as usual. Ended up spending the next hour and a half in the beer garden because we just kept running into people. Sucks about misisng BSS but we were just having a good time relaxing. Four Tet was good background music.

After that Guided By Voices and Descendents both fucking killed it! I've been wanting to see both bands for a very long time and neither disappointed! I was singing along like a maniac during Descendents' entire set.

Moved over after realizing Descendents ended 5 minutes early and got a decent spot for Explosions In The Sky. They were totally on point, rocking out, sounding great, and loud as fuck! Could not ask for a better performance by them. Unfortunately at this point I was just dying. We left 45 minutes into the set and took off hoping to (and succeeding to) beat the crowds moving out.

Overall, an amazing day and a great weekend! The Friday night Blue Palms hang out was a total blast and it was great hanging out with and generally running into friends all day and at almost every set!
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 09-04-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

They played smokin'. Closed out with a Surfin' Cow encore.
    Was it early in the set or was I just memorized and didn't realized it while they were playing it.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

Thanks Cutterbutter!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Padres hat
    Shoulda been sportin Dodger Blue!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Was it early in the set or was I just memorized and didn't realized it while they were playing it.
    Well punk rock girl was like their 3rd song and they didn't play it by then. so you must of been appropriately high for Smokin'.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

so you must of been appropriately high for Smokin'.

Mostly...I was really surprised to hear Nutrition.It brought me back to ten years,which was probably the last time I even hear that song.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

You were probably just memorized.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

oopss I meant mesmerized.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Almost there.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

urgh facepalm for myself
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

DFA1979 ROLL CALL

So pumped for tonight.

anyone else going to dead milkmen tonight?
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

CB's Review -

got there at 4 because of work, but felt like I didn't miss much. Japandroids were ok but not quite what I expected. Left to go watch OTC. Their sound was off and trying a bit too hard to be like Arcade Fire. There was one point near the end of the set that the feedback was so horrific that it literaly made me have to poop. After this I preceded to become extremely high, as there was a total absence of security (good thing of course). Caught the majority of Cold War Kids. Even after all the years of seeing them live, it still hasn't become old. Very much looking forward to their future as musicians. Next was Fourtet... Wasn't sure what to expect as some of the mixes and live sets I had heard deff end up too abstract. But this one in particular blew me away. Expectations through the roof, will def catch him again in the future. YACHT was ehh... But met up w/ a ton of boardies at this point. Nosaj went on late, sounded dark and slow. SMD knocked me off my f'in feet. Wow, do those two throw it down or what...? Best set of the night. Explosions in the Sky were also incredible. Not sure what some of the haters were expecting, but they seemed to be on point note for note. It takes years of perfecting your sound and chemistry to make noise like that and still move people. Left early to beat the croweds.

Overall I felt the music was a big step down from last year, but they did fix the majority of the overall issues. Dust and lack of grass are my only complaints. Boardies make the world go round. Thank you, all of you, for being such music enthusiasts.

Notable First Time Boardie Meets -
    Dale Gribble
    the Scenestar

PF... Always a pleasure
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

I need some help with a song from OFF! and the Broken Social Scene song.

And we saw the dead baby

Last edited by TheRotten42; 09-04-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole. Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

I think they should spread some rubber mats throughout the park. I liked the fest this year, but the dust was unbearable!

I totally saw the Dead Baby too! I think it was at OTC, but I could be wrong. Good work with the Simian video too; the audio is really good.

Oh, and that BSS song you posted is "Meet Me in the Basement."
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Didn't they say they were going to water the grass this year? It looked even worse than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.