Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: FYF Fest 2011

Default Re: FYF Fest 2011

So poor sound, late gates opening, messy organization and all for probably something around $30 (I remember last year's early birds were $25 and I doubt they'll hike it up too much.) That's as punk rock as it gets, in my opinion. I can't imagine going to a fest that caters mostly to punk and hardcore bands and it not being run that way. I'd actually be offended if it weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoAge View Post
    So poor sound, late gates opening, messy organization and all for probably something around $30 (I remember last year's early birds were $25 and I doubt they'll hike it up too much.) That's as punk rock as it gets, in my opinion. I can't imagine going to a fest that caters mostly to punk and hardcore bands and it not being run that way. I'd actually be offended if it weren't.
    Actually, Fun Fun Fun Fest in Texas, which caters to that same demographic is run perfectly fine. I'll say early birds are $35 to start this time.....

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    Everyone talks a bunch of shit on how poorly fyf is run, but I've been for the past 2 years and have had absolutely no problems getting in.

Maybe it's just because all you guys show up later in the day and have to deal with that?

I've seen some great bands at FYF, and it's only 20 bucks. That's a sweet ass deal.
    I had no problems getting in last year either, but that was a tiny microcosm in the problems that fest had. You're crazy if you don't think there were major issues with organization.

I honestly didn't have a LOT of issues with 2009, but it seemed exponentially worse in 2010. But you're right, the quality of the bands for the price is enough to keep me coming back for more, despite all of the bullshit.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I had no problems getting in last year either, but that was a tiny microcosm in the problems that fest had. You're crazy if you don't think there were major issues with organization.

I honestly didn't have a LOT of issues with 2009, but it seemed exponentially worse in 2010. But you're right, the quality of the bands for the price is enough to keep me coming back for more, despite all of the bullshit.
    In that case, what are your specific complaints? The only complaint I can really think of is the lack of water and crazy amounts of dust.
    To Supre:
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

November 22nd - Morrissey @ Escondido Center For The Arts
    December 14th - Dinosaur Jr. @ The Music Box

the price of food and water is a big one.

In that case, what are your specific complaints? The only complaint I can really think of is the lack of water and crazy amounts of dust.
    So the Beer Garden thing didnt bother you at all? Where you had to get in line, so they could check your Id and let you in. THEN also not even wristbanding everyone who was 21 so you could just go back and forth, instead of just gettign back in the mile long line to get in? AND they ran out of beer by like 8pm?

I'll start with that, and I dont even drink!

-Lack of water/price of water was a HUGE thing.
    -food - selection of food was terrible, there weren't enough stands so lines were ALWAYS obnoxious, and the stands that were there ran out of almost everything by 6pm. And $8 for a hamburger bun with one slice of cheese and one piece of turkey? FUCK YOU.
    -Not having wristbands for 21+ and having faulty scanners that caused hugely backed up lines to get into the beer garden. it's the only fest where i've ever had to wait to get INSIDE of the beer garden. And not only did I have to wait, i had to wait 30+ minutes. So fucking dumb.
    -Bad sound issues at every stage.
    -Schedule was terribly off and made me miss several bands that i otherwise would have been able to see...one of the stages was behind by like 45 minutes in the evening.
    -They managed to fuck up the willcall option AGAIN and left many people stuck outside for hours. This didn't affect me personally, but this was a specific issue they said they would take care of, and they didn't.

The biggest kick in the balls was the fact that many of these issues were things that happened in 2009 that Sean specifically mentioned would be fixed, and not only were they not, but in many cases they were even worse. It was very disappointing.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

The thing is...I like Sean Carlson, i like FYF as an organization/promoter, i like the bands he gets at the fests and his local shows. I don't want to bitch about FYF because I like it, but it bothers me that something i want to support can be done so poorly. I know it's not on purpose, but sooner or later the fans are going to revolt if they can't be taken care of properly.
    last.fm

Alright, those are complaints I can understand, though they didn't specifically effect me because I can't drink and didn't buy any food. Though, I agree, I'd be pissed off if I'd paid that much for a burger.
    I think Sean should just probably stop saying things about how there's gonna be food trucks from great restaurants around the county and shit like that.
    To Supre:

Alright, those are complaints I can understand, though they didn't specifically effect me because I can't drink and didn't buy any food. Though, I agree, I'd be pissed off if I'd paid that much for a burger.
    I think Sean should just probably stop saying things about how there's gonna be food trucks from great restaurants around the county and shit like that.
    Do you not piss or shit either? There needed to be at least twice as many porta-potties at the festival than there was. I waited in line for close to half an hour to use the restrooms. I can only imagine how bad they would have been if the festival hadn't been completely inept at selling beer, which as noted before, ran out at 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Do you not piss or shit either? There needed to be at least twice as many porta-potties at the festival than there was. I waited in line for close to half an hour to use the restrooms. I can only imagine how bad they would have been if the festival hadn't been completely inept at selling beer, which as noted before, ran out at 8pm.
    funny you ask, for all the festivals I've attended, and the two years of Coachella, I've never once had to use a porto potty.
    To Supre:

So you use diapers then?

You realize that you've got to be the ONLY person that's at a festival outside for 12 hours not eating, drinking water, or using the bathroom at all. That's not normal.
    last.fm

Oh I ate at Coachella, and I drank, I just never had to use the bathroom.
    I guess I'm weird.
    To Supre:

Back to lineup discussion though, I posted that Spin Magazine scan on the FYF facebook asking if it any truth to it and it was promptly deleted.

Suspicious?
    To Supre:

funny you ask, for all the festivals I've attended, and the two years of Coachella, I've never once had to use a porto potty.
    Colostomy bag?

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Colostomy bag?
    yessir
    To Supre:

Back to lineup discussion though, I posted that Spin Magazine scan on the FYF facebook asking if it any truth to it and it was promptly deleted.

Suspicious?
    Its been discussed plenty, they are probably tired of hearing it.

So how does it feel to be the only person immune to the b.s of FYF Fest 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by DRcube View Post
    the price of food and water is a big one.
    What baffles me is how water cost more than a soda. $4 for a water, $2 for a soda, wtf?

If GV can come back after a clusterfuck with the best year ever in 2011, I don't see why FYF can't.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

They can't because early Fuck Yeah Fests are pretty damn hard to top, as they were in three venues and you could go get food at restaurants in Echo Park and watch No Age in the Echoplex then run upstairs to catch part of Monotonix and back down for Deerhunter. The new fest is a different beast, but it'll never be as much fun as the old ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    If GV can come back after a clusterfuck with the best year ever in 2011, I don't see why FYF can't.
    Who has more money to play with on fixing things?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post

So how does it feel to be the only person immune to the b.s of FYF Fest 2010?

I feel like I'm going to have a great time at FYF this year.

Seriously, to everyone complaining about the food and everything, is that really what you go to a festival for? Did you guys not see Dead Man's Bones, Sleep, The Mountain Goats, and The Rapture for 20 fucking dollars.

That's really god damned amazing. It should be about the performances not the food and shit.
    To Supre:

Seriously, to everyone complaining about the food and everything, is that really what you go to a festival for? Did you guys not see Dead Man's Bones, Sleep, The Mountain Goats, and The Rapture for 20 fucking dollars.

That's really god damned amazing. It should be about the performances not the food and shit.
    I'm looking forward to it, being my first and all. I always love the lineups and I'm keeping the mindset this is a barebones festival without all the frills and glossy benefits you'd get at something on a grand scale like Coachella where you basically have butlers fan you in the sun while girls get manicures as they watch Lightning Bolt.

Yeah, complaining doesn't do any good. Just look at Coachella 2010 and 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

If Tix are $20 this year, I think I'll buy a couple extras and just go down to china town every time I need to eat or drink.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

The lineups are always great, and it's always a great time. I'll agree, the food and water situation is shitty, but whatever, it's cheap.
    To Supre:

Here is the thing, first off, you havent been around that long doing this stuff. (its very apparent cause you arent even old enough to drink) Im sorry for complaining about things that should be second nature to anyone putting on a festival right now. Did you hear us say the performances lacked in any way? We are talking about every logistical nightmare that went down that day. And just so you know, it made people leave early cause they had enough of it. You cant always have a good time if something as mundane as getting a bottle of water takes an hour of your time, which means you missed music.

If you feel that getting shitty service is your argument along with ''thats what you get for $20'' think again. I never had a problem in 2009 with FYF. Yeah, the park wasnt totally finished yet, and it was dusty, thats something Ic an cope with because FYF cant control that. But again, things that seemed to have been taken for granted by the organizers will make the audience as a whole suffer, and thats not fair.

I hope Sean Carlson comes back from Primavera Sound next week and has his eyes truly opened on how a festival should be.

Got anything else to say mr ''festival expert''?
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.

First off, age should have nothing to do with anything.

I never claimed to be a festival expert, but I take your joke for what it is, I was simply stating that to me this, or any other festival for that matter, isn't about anything more than the music. Sure there are festivals that are run much more smoothly, sure FYF has a ton of room to grow in that field, I totally agree. But when it comes down to it FYF is a cheap fest with great acts that'd cost way more to see anywhere else, and for ME (not going to speak for anybody else) it wasn't a bad experience at all.

Then again, I guess I'm just not one for complaining.
    To Supre:

First off, age should have nothing to do with anything.

I never claimed to be a festival expert, but I take your joke for what it is, I was simply stating that to me this, or any other festival for that matter, isn't about anything more than the music. Sure there are festivals that are run much more smoothly, sure FYF has a ton of room to grow in that field, I totally agree. But when it comes down to it FYF is a cheap fest with great acts that'd cost way more to see anywhere else, and for ME (not going to speak for anybody else) it wasn't a bad experience at all.

Then again, I guess I'm just not one for complaining.

I hope one day you end up having a terrible experience somewhere and you can then be able to share some perspective on being with that group of people. Thats the only way you'll understand why we point out problems or make suggestions on how to make things better. We arent being selfish, we want everyone to have a good time, because we all know we werent alone when something bad happened. And age does matter, you aint got shit to worry about yet. Wait til the day comes when its either going to FYF or covering your share of the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I hope one day you end up having a terrible experience somewhere and you can then be able to share some perspective on being with that group of people. Thats the only way you'll understand why we point out problems or make suggestions on how to make things better. We arent being selfish, we want everyone to have a good time, because we all know we werent alone when something bad happened. And age does matter, you aint got shit to worry about yet. Wait til the day comes when its either going to FYF or covering your share of the rent.
    What a sad thing to wish upon somebody.

I understand everyones complaints, I'm just trying to be optimistic I guess.

Good talk, suprefan.
    To Supre: