19 37.25%
  • David Gilmour

14 27.45%
  • There is no difference...

18 35.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best? Pink Floyd

Default Who's the best? Pink Floyd

I've had this battle with myself and others. Not to take away from the genius that is Pink Floyd, but really, who is the man? Post Syd.

Roger Waters or David Gilmor?
    I'll take you. I can't promise to stay soft the whole time, though.

Default Re: Who's the best? Pink Floyd

the two are the best musians ever!!! i love pink floyd!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa pea View Post
    I'm missing school Friday and Monday for Coachella...and I'm the teacher!

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

I like Pink.
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

Who is up for a Pink Floyd reunion at next years Coachella?

tough call but gilmour's still got the voice
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

I agree with the scrivener up there. Roger just sounds way too old now. Gilmour might be a fat old codger but he still sound excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Who is up for a Pink Floyd reunion at next years Coachella?
    i'am!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa pea View Post
    I'm missing school Friday and Monday for Coachella...and I'm the teacher!

If Coachella had Pink Floyd, then the audience would have people the parents ages of typical Coachella attendees there to see them. I do not get Pink Floyd and would see another stage if they were there. I just don't pictue classic rock at Coachella, but today's bands will be classic rock in a couple more decades.

Frankly I'm surprised to not see Floyd in the poster contest so far. Just based on the P.U.L.S.E. DVD, it's gotta be the best live act ever, GV should book them with or without Waters. Waters is responsible for all their great shit, but he just doesn't perform it worth half a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Pink Floyd wasn't allowed in the poster contest.

Why not? Couldn't it have counted as a reunion show?

Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy View Post
    I've had this battle with myself and others. Not to take away from the genius that is Pink Floyd, but really, who is the man? Post Syd.

Roger Waters or David Gilmor?
    I would be happy seeing either.. David Gilmour has a great voice, but I don't like much of what he has released with the band since Momentary Lapse of Reason... I'd rather see Roger solo than David solo. Now if they would put their petty shit aside and reunite than all would be right with the world. Pink Floyd at Coachella would work, but i doubt GV would ever have enough money to offer them, since they would sell out any arena, anywhere.
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

I somehow doubt that lack of offers is the reason that Pink Floyd are off the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    If Coachella had Pink Floyd, then the audience would have people the parents ages of typical Coachella attendees there to see them. I do not get Pink Floyd and would see another stage if they were there. I just don't pictue classic rock at Coachella, but today's bands will be classic rock in a couple more decades.
    I've seen Pink Floyd in concert 4 times. They put on the best rock show known to man. You don't even need to be on drugs to feel like your having an out of body experience at a Floyd concert. You don't get it because you have never experienced it.
    A Pink Floyd reunion concert would be huge and a perfect fit for the Coachella vibe.

Black or white, its all pink.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

I can see there are no actual Pink Floyd fans in here, because the answer is Gilmour a thousand times over. Roger might create a lot of the lyrics, but Gilmour is the sound of Pink Floyd. And not only is his new solo cd incredible, not to mention a thousand times better than anything Waters released in his solo career, i saw gilmour live in 06 for his On an Island tour and it was impecable. all you need to know is that he played Echoes, and it was phenomonal. Not to say that i wouldnt see Roger Waters live, which i have, and am seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl in June. He's a great perfpormer, but its all about David Gilmour baby. Pink Floyd as a whole is the best. but if i had to choose, its gilmour. and from someone that has seen them all perform live, trust me

You should have made the results of this poll public.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

im seeing roger waters on friday...so i guess ill only be able to judge after that
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

This topic is a mindfuck, i didn't get enough time to anwer the question .

It sounded like a Pink Floyd appreciation thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

Quote Originally Posted by chuckwalla View Post
    I've seen Pink Floyd in concert 4 times. They put on the best rock show known to man. You don't even need to be on drugs to feel like your having an out of body experience at a Floyd concert. You don't get it because you have never experienced it.
    A Pink Floyd reunion concert would be huge and a perfect fit for the Coachella vibe.
    I was lucky enough to do this once...but you need enjoy that ride nice 'n slow...no rushing to get to or from another stage...

old school

I've seen both Roger & Dave in the past year & I have to honestly say that it felt more like Floyd when I went to see Dave. Gilmour just has that ethereal voice & his guitar playing is the soul of Floyd. I loved Roger's show & was impressed but Gimour's show just blew Roger's out of the water (no pun intended). I respect Roger for his politics & social standpoints as well as Dave's. I just don't understand why they can't hug & make up & once again become the most powerful band the world has & dethrone the Rolling Stones. I know Gilmour has young children now that he wants to be there for as they grow because he wasn't with his grown children when he was on tour. He could take them on tour though. Floyd will never play together after again unless the cause is noble & for the benefit of the world according to them. The Floyd issue of guitar world (that came out about a year ago) has two must read interviews with both & its a must read for any Floyd fan & will answer many burning questions you have about one of the greatest bands of all time.
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 05-14-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Goldenvoice should just donate $5 million ($10?) in their honor and have them play a "benefit" concert on the Polo Fields. Do it Goldenvoice. Do it...come on, do it...do it..do it, come on....

some cited tidbits from wikipedia:

"2007 will see the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd's signing to EMI and the 40th anniversary of the release of their first three singles "Arnold Layne", "See Emily Play" and "Apples and Oranges" and their debut album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Pink Floyd's longtime album cover designer Storm Thorgerson stated in an interview with Pink Floyd fansite A Fleeting Glimpse that he "hopes the band will do something for its 40th anniversary for the fans".

"On March 14, 2007, New York Daily News reported that the classic lineup of Pink Floyd has signed up to play on the upcoming Live Earth concerts on July 7, 2007."

"While nothing has officially been confirmed by the band nor the organizers yet, Roger Waters said in an early March interview, that he would love to reunite the band for the event, if the rest of the band feels the same way. "I do not have any problem with that. Let us hope that they don't either. If they ask me, I will be there." According to LiveEarth.org, Waters is scheduled to perform in the U.S. leg of the concert at Giants stadium in New Jersey"

"On April 9, 2007, IrelandOn-line reported that Roger Waters dismissed speculation that the band would be re-united once again for the Live Earth show."

"On 10 May, 2007 Roger Waters performed at the Syd Barrett tribute concert at the Barbican Centre in London. This was then followed by a surprise performance by the post-Waters Pink Floyd lineup of David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason of "Arnold Layne" to a raptuous applause and standing ovation. However hopes of a second reunion concert with the band's classic lineup were dashed when Waters did not perform with the group, for reasons unknown"
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

Pink Floyd was done after The Wall. They're too old and stodgy to be of significance now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

it would still make me happy though.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    I can see there are no actual Pink Floyd fans in here, because the answer is Gilmour a thousand times over. Roger might create a lot of the lyrics, but Gilmour is the sound of Pink Floyd. And not only is his new solo cd incredible, not to mention a thousand times better than anything Waters released in his solo career, i saw gilmour live in 06 for his On an Island tour and it was impecable. all you need to know is that he played Echoes, and it was phenomonal. Not to say that i wouldnt see Roger Waters live, which i have, and am seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl in June. He's a great perfpormer, but its all about David Gilmour baby. Pink Floyd as a whole is the best. but if i had to choose, its gilmour. and from someone that has seen them all perform live, trust me
    Well if you happen to catch the Rolling Stone article about Pink Floyd a couple issues back. They talked about how Waters was the one who pushed alot of the music structure and also the lyrics. I think Gilmour is better because he has a far better lyrical talent than Waters. But musically alot of the songs were heavily influenced by Waters on Animals forward. Being an avid live show collector, I like the stuff they played during 74-79. I think those are some of the best live Pink Floyd ever. When alot of songs like Dogs and Pigs on a Wing were still rough around the edges. Sounds way better imo.

anyone championing David over Roger...maybe you like his voice better, but how many great albums did they create after Roger left? Momentary Lapse of Reason & Division Bell??? ......no, neither one....Roger Wins without a doubt
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Well if you happen to catch the Rolling Stone article about Pink Floyd a couple issues back. They talked about how Waters was the one who pushed alot of the music structure and also the lyrics. I think Gilmour is better because he has a far better lyrical talent than Waters. But musically alot of the songs were heavily influenced by Waters on Animals forward. Being an avid live show collector, I like the stuff they played during 74-79. I think those are some of the best live Pink Floyd ever. When alot of songs like Dogs and Pigs on a Wing were still rough around the edges. Sounds way better imo.
    What lyrics did Gilmour ever write that were better? Or ever write period, pretty much.

thestripe

Yeah, that's just silly. All Gilmour ever did was make the songs pretty. The two have always needed each other to balance out the songs. Neither have been the same since Roger left.

I think this is a little like saying who was better : Lennon or McCartney . Good or even great apart, together, better then the sum of its parts same with roger and david I suppose and syd, we miss ya you put together one hell of a band canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Ron, I see your point - but . . .

Lennon and McCartney were equal contributers. I'm not sure you can say the same about Waters and Gilmour.

Either way, I am very excited for Sunday night.