Thread: solar panel for charging ipod/cell phone/camera

Banned

Default solar panel for charging ipod/cell phone/camera

Hey
    anyone ever taken anything like this to charge up your ipod or cell phone? i know they have the cell phone charging tent just curious if anyone has used anything like this at previous coachella's

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages...charger,1.html

thanks in advance!

no asshole answers please--serious question

Default Re: solar panel for charging ipod/cell phone/camera

Saw an infomercial for this last night. Has anyone used it yet, or heard anything good/bad about the company that makes it?

https://www.getcharger.com/?mid=2861295
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

I wouldn't bother with solar chargers IN the venue. Takes too long to charge with solar. And you need to have it out the whole time, best way to keep it out that I've seen is to attach it to the back of your backpack. Still, you won't get much juice since it'll need to face the sun all day.

You're MUCH better off packing a few extra external batteries that don't have excess solar panels - they'll pack lighter/smaller.
    Joseph Elwell.
    99, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12, 12, 13, 13

I have one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-1230...s=goal+0+elite I love it and have used it the past two years. Got it cheap at Costco. $40 maybe.
    Last edited by whatkilesaid; 12-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatkilesaid View Post
    I have one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-1230...s=goal+0+elite I love it and have used it the past two years. Got it cheap at Costco. $40 maybe.
    A solar panel that large would be useful. Any of those tiny phone sized panels aren't going to be efficient enough during the festival. Grab one like whatkilesaid and strap it to your backpack, that would work. Not sure how you'd go about strapping it to your speedo and fanny pack though - too bulky.
    Joseph Elwell.
    99, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12, 12, 13, 13

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Hey Joseph, you goddamn idiot, they're talking about it for the purposes of the campers. You fucking moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Joseph "The Dildo" Elwell
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by whatkilesaid View Post
    wow, $40 is a good deal. I've used this for the last couple years and it works well enough to charge 2 smart phones as well as the battery pack that comes with it to charge a third. it's only a little better than a trickle charge though, so be patient.

last year, someone in our camping group upgraded to the Goal Zero 30M and the explorer pack 150 and it worked so well to charge several phones and other battery packs that I decided to purchase another of each. now we can run the 2 sets of panels in tandem and always have a battery pack charging while using another. combined with regular rechargable battery packs and smaller solar chargers we shouldn't need to use the car battery at all next year
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    wow, $40 is a good deal. I've used this for the last couple years and it works well enough to charge 2 smart phones as well as the battery pack that comes with it to charge a third. it's only a little better than a trickle charge though, so be patient.

last year, someone in our camping group upgraded to the Goal Zero 30M and the explorer pack 150 and it worked so well to charge several phones and other battery packs that I decided to purchase another of each. now we can run the 2 sets of panels in tandem and always have a battery pack charging while using another. combined with regular rechargable battery packs and smaller solar chargers we shouldn't need to use the car battery at all next year
    Nice to hear that about the goal zero. I wish I would have went that route. Last year we used a car battery our friend converted just for cell phone use. A few months back I bought a portable charger (I'd list the name, but it's like 20ft away from my bed) and it's already a little buggy. Wasn't cheap either when it works I can get about three charges out of it. Worked great for end of day dead battery at FYF.

I was having a car battery problem on the way home from a mini road trip this year and bought a portable car jumper. I got the one with USB and other inputs and I am excited to use it at our campsite. Those cell stations always seemed crowded. I think it's a good a idea to be cell charging independent.