Thread: Close to 100,000 people?

Default Close to 100,000 people?

I don't know if this means like 75,000 is close to 100,000 or 90,000 is close to 100,000...

Oh and there's traffic info too.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2011...yssey=nav|head
    .:COACHELLA.:08.:09.:10.:11.:12:.

Default Re: Close to 100,000 people?

I'm guessing that whoever wrote that article doesn't know anything that we don't when it comes to the number of tickets sold.

From the Desert Sun

Indio, La Quinta bump heads on Coachella Valley Music Festival traffic

The acclaimed Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival has become synonymous with traffic — especially after last year's debacle that had concertgoers stuck in their cars for several hours on valley roadways.

The cities of Indio and La Quinta on Wednesday unveiled a traffic plan for the festival running April 15-17 with the hope that motorists who stick to the plan will avoid traffic and help ease congestion during that busy weekend.“We want them to be knowledgeable. We don't want what happened last year with traffic issues to hurt our community or the communities that surrounds us,” said Jim Curtis, human services manager with the city of Indio.

The venue — the Empire Polo Club, 81-800 Avenue 50 in Indio — borders the city of La Quinta and impacts residents and travelers there as well, he said.

Curtis said the problems last year were due in part to new parking lots north of Avenue 50 that disturbed the traffic flow and a higher attendance on Friday because of the three-day- only ticket sales.

For the seventh time named the best non-touring music festival in North America, it is anticipated to attract close to 100,000 people to the area, said Indio officials, essentially doubling the size of the city for the one weekend.

The shuttling of approximately 15,000 guests into and out of the concert venue from various locations throughout the Coachella Valley is also expected to ease traffic.
    Delays

Traffic hold-ups are expected on the following roadways:

Southbound Jefferson Street from I-10 to Avenue 52

Southbound Washington Street from I-10 to Avenue 52

Southbound Monroe Street from I-10 to Avenue 52

Highway 111 at Jefferson Street

Highway 111 at Monroe Street

Interstate-10 exit eastbound at Jefferson Street

I-10 exit eastbound at Monroe Street
    Road closures

The following streets will be closed during the concert and only open to residents with special passes:

Avenue 49 between Hjorth Street and Monroe Street

Avenue 50 between Madison Street and Jackson Street

Hjorth Street between Avenue 49 and Avenue 50

Madison Street between Avenue 49 and Avenue 50
    Alternate routes

To avoid traffic the following routes are suggested:

For north and south travel, use Washington Street, Jackson Street, Calhoun Street and Golf Center Parkway.

For east and west travel, use Fred Waring Drive, Miles Avenue, Avenue 52 and Avenue 48.
    Pick up/drop off

Taxis will be located at Avenue 52 and Madison Street and Avenue 50 and Monroe Street.

Concertgoers who don't want to park or can't drive can be dropped off at Avenue 50 and Monroe Street.

Xochitl Peña covers Indio and Coachella for The Desert Sun. She can be reached at (760) 778-4647 or at xochitl.pena@thedesertsun.com.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2011...text|Frontpage
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I'm guessing that whoever wrote that article doesn't know anything that we don't when it comes to the number of tickets sold.
    They only say upwards 100,000 different people will be attracted to the area that weekend. Bands/crew/security and venue staff is over 10,000. Plus cabs in the area, anyone working at a hotel or store or peope watching over their 2nd homes.

Nice find!
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    They only say upwards 100,000 different people will be attracted to the area that weekend. Bands/crew/security and venue staff is over 10,000. Plus cabs in the area, anyone working at a hotel or store or peope watching over their 2nd homes.
    Actually, it says "close to 100,000," which could cover a huge range of estimates. But yeah, that's basically the point: that there will be "close to" 100k in the area doesn't really tell us what the attendance will be.
    Last edited by Radiohead; 03-24-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Just hope its less than last year.