Thread: Car camping with a tent?

Talking Car camping with a tent?

So, whilst lurking among the threads, I've noticed people who are car camping talking about bringing canopies, Christmas lights, and solar showers to pimp out their campsite.

I'm flying in from the East Coast and not lugging camping gear with me, so my question is: Is there really enough room in the car campgrounds to set up elaborate campsites? I'd rather set up a tent (and possibly shower) behind my car than sleep in it, if so!

TIA

Default Re: Car camping with a tent?

Is your car 10 x 30 feet long?

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by MusicGeek View Post
    So, whilst lurking among the threads, I've noticed people who are car camping talking about bringing canopies, Christmas lights, and solar showers to pimp out their campsite.

I'm flying in from the East Coast and not lugging camping gear with me, so my question is: Is there really enough room in the car campgrounds to set up elaborate campsites? I'd rather set up a tent (and possibly shower) behind my car than sleep in it, if so!

TIA
    You may be wishing you opted for a canopy after the first morning:-) Tents are hot as soon as the sun comes up, not just warm, HOT! Obviously you need somewhere to sleep but you also need somewhere to be from the time the sun comes up (because it is going to be too damn hot in that tent) and a canopy over the tent and what ever remaining area you may have for a chair will make the time from 7:00AM-till the music starts at least tolerable. Perhaps you should join some other campers with shade for your own comfort? This also makes better use of the little areas left next to the car in your spot, unused corners etc.

We formed a big group with the thought that we will have more hang out area by combining spaces. We have made to scale models, figured out our positioning for tents, canopies, etc. so we can hopefully get there, set up efficiently and start the party right away:-) For people that are flying in we are bringing tents and bedding so they do not have to bring that sort of thing on the plane or buy it for just the weekend and then dispose of it. We have plenty of shade for everyone in our group and we are at 45 people now I think!

No one will force you to have shade, but you might think of heeding the posts of the seasoned Coachella folks on the board because they know what they are talking about:-) A hot tent in the sun is no use to anyone. A bad sun burn by the end of the day on Friday won't be to sweet either:-(
    Last edited by Inthecolumbiagorge; 03-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.

If only there were good pictures of camping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    If only there were good pictures of camping somewhere.
    Perfect! Mr. John is such a nice guy to give you a visual example without having to search for it

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Is your car 10 x 30 feet long?
    It's not like anyone respects that shit anyway. Last year we woke up Saturday morning to discover the door to our tent blocked by a huge tent. They'd even staked over our little 2 person tent essentially blocking us in.
    The second you arrive to your parking spot = a fucking rugby match + Survivor challenge.

don't shower right at your campsite, take it somewhere along a perimeter fence or somewhere away from tents. no need for a muddy pit of horse urine/crap right next to your home.

I seriously don't think any of you understood the question TIA asked.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Perfect! Mr. John is such a nice guy to give you a visual example without having to search for it

Thanks, Mr. John. I was feeling overwhelmed and those pics definitely helped!

Ok, so thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I may go ahead and lug my camping gear. I highly doubt my car is 10 x 30 (though the leg room would be bad ass), but since I'm renting it from LAX, I should be ready in case they give me a Cooper Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by ApparentlyMarylee View Post
    It's not like anyone respects that shit anyway. Last year we woke up Saturday morning to discover the door to our tent blocked by a huge tent. They'd even staked over our little 2 person tent essentially blocking us in.
    The second you arrive to your parking spot = a fucking rugby match + Survivor challenge.
    Or you get neighbors like ours who only had one tent and let us overflow a little bit and even let us share the shade from their EZ-UP. Nothing but respect from our neighbors on all three sides last year. Hoping for the same this year.

The first morning, I wake up, slightly hung over, peek out of my tent, see those same neighbors sitting and packing a bowl, they see me and instantly say 'morning, wake & bake?' Ahhhh, what a great weekend.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Lucky! We had two groups of assholes with huge tents on the right and infront. We definately werent taking up 10x30 and they still had to invade our space. I wont be a pushover this year though so... watch out! ::holds up fist::

Luckily the gaggle of lesbians on our left were nice enough and gave us their leftover beer Monday morning as they left.

What's the rule on limos/stretch limos?