Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Comic Books

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Hey, Comic Books

I just totally remembered Alan Grant's run on The Demon that started in 1990. That was a really weird, quirky, fun book.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    The Best Batman Graphic Novels:
    All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder by Frank Miller
    YUCK. I hated this.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Some of the stuff on that list won't really make much sense if you read it out of order. Like, Dark Victory is pretty much a follow-up to Long Halloween, and all the Grant Morrison stuff is really one long, epic story that has been running in current Batman for like 4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    YUCK. I hated this.
    It made The Dark Knight Strikes Again look almost readable by comparison.

Frank Miller has completely lost his mind. What a waste.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

YUCK. I hated this.
    what? you are crazy drinkey. CRAZY.

also, grant morrison and frank quietly did All Star Superman, which was fucking amazing too.

I loved All Star Superman. All Star Batman and Robin was self indulgent, mean, moronic, sophomoric bullshit. Miller completely gave no respect to to the characters or his audience with that one. It was weird seeing Jim Lee drawing such vapidly violent stuff.
    last.fm

Back on a lighter note, another recommendation from me is Ben Caldwell's Dare Detectives. It's incredibly fun.
    last.fm

80s X Men FTW, yes.

I hate the shit out of Frank Miller, by and large. The first Sin City book is worth reading purely because it's striking and influential, but otherwise he can just kinda fuck off, really.

seeing Jim Lee drawing such vapidly violent stuff.
    Jim Lee is the worst part about All Star Batman. I'm not a fan of Jim Lee really at all.

Best comic running right now IMO is Locke & Key written by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son). Anyone else reading/read it? There are currently 3 trades of it out there. Hill is a great story teller and writes great characters, and the illustrations by Gabriel Rodriguez are absolutely wonderful.

The Best Batman Graphic Novels:

The Dark Night Returns by Frank Miller
    Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
    All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder by Frank Miller
    The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
    The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb
    Dark Victory by Jeff Loeb
    Batman: Hush by Jeff Loeb
    Batman and Son by Grant Morrison
    Batman RIP by Grant Morrison
    Time and the Batman by Grant Morrison
    The Return of Bruce Wayne by Grant Morrison
    What did you think of the Batman/Grendel books? I remember liking those but haven't read any batman stuff lately. The Morrison stuff sounds interested, i'll have to track down these TPBs. Thanks for the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent - 11/16 Brazilian Girls@Roxy

Morrison does a good job with Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    What did you think of the Batman/Grendel books? I remember liking those but haven't read any batman stuff lately. The Morrison stuff sounds interested, i'll have to track down these TPBs. Thanks for the list.
    I wasn't a huge fan of Batman/Grendel, but I'm not really into much Dark Horse stuff. All that stuff just seems sort of Lobo-y to me for some reason, and I can only take it in small doses...like Lobo in Final Crisis.

Anyway, the Grant Morrison stuff doesn't make a lot of sense unless you read all of it in order, and even then, it only starts making sense at the very end. It all just sort of comes together and you're like omgomgomg.

Also, really, if you're going to try and read any Batman at all, you should really just read The Killing Joke. Just start with that, and if you don't like it, then you just flat out don't like comics. The Killing Joke is the fucking Citizen Kane of comic books. It is the best comic book ever, in my opinion. The greatest of all time.
    Last edited by DANCE MAGIC; 03-21-2011 at 11:56 PM.

They opened a new Midtown Comics in downtown Manhattan, just a couple blocks from where I used to live. Good thing I don't live there anymore... I never know what to get it that place though. I usually just go in to look at things.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I wasn't a huge fan of Batman/Grendel, but I'm not really into much Dark Horse stuff. All that stuff just seems sort of Lobo-y to me for some reason, and I can only take it in small doses...like Lobo in Final Crisis.
    Aww, Grendel isn't remotely like Lobo! It's actually really, really good. Matt Wagner is a pretty classy writer.

Siomon Bisley has done a bunch of covers for the series, so maybe that gave the impression
    last.fm

I don't really care too much for Frank Miller's output the last decade or so, but when he was on he was on. He didn't write this, but the art is spectacular. A must read in my opinion. This is what the movie that Aronofsky just dropped out of is going to be about

I have most of the issues that will be put into this but for any of you actually interested in Aquaman that haven't tried reading it: DC has decided to release a pretty hefty collected trade of early Aquaman, mostly illustrated by Jim Aparo from the late 60s into the 70s. It will feature pretty much all you need to know of what shaped the modern character.

July 5, 2011... Aquaman: Death of a Prince

And here is a teaser cover from the Emperor Aquaman mini-series that will come with the Flashpoint event.
    Last edited by weeklymix; 03-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.

A serious question, what is it that you see in Aquaman? I really haven't read much with him, and not more than one or two issues where he is the main focus and that was probably twenty years ago, but he just strikes me as a not as cool or interesting Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    A serious question, what is it that you see in Aquaman? I really haven't read much with him, and not more than one or two issues where he is the main focus and that was probably twenty years ago, but he just strikes me as a not as cool or interesting Namor.
    I debated for a long time whether I'd let how nerdy I am shine but it's a good question so here it goes:

The two have a similar Golden Age backstory so there's not a lot to compare there. Later on Aquaman's story would be re-told to have most sources prove he was full Atlantean and heir to the throne of Atlantis which he takes for some time.

Abilities
    Aquaman and Namor really only share their standard abilities: fast swimming, superhuman strength, greater strength in water, ability to breathe underwater. The only real abilities Namor's exhibited after those is the ability to fly and only for a short time was the ability to have control over time and was somewhat able to time travel. That was short-lived, though. Namor's character actually receives immense criticism because his ability to fly was pretty much only explained by the fact there were little wings on his shoes.

Aquaman's abilities after the expected are the ability to communicate with living sea life and a control over undead sea creatures. Controlling undead armies of sharks, squids, etc. is more of a new ability but has helped place his communication with sea life into a more... interesting realm for lack of a better phrase. He can control water much like the Green Lantern uses his ring to create anything. In Brightest Day he proves to be bulletproof. From 1994-2007 he had lost his left hand which manifested itself in a grappling hook in the early years and a hand made of a special water that had freezing abilities. The latter was met with frustration so we probably won't see that again. He has quick regeneration in certain publications much like Wolverine, but it might explain how he'll get his hand back post Black Manta / Brightest Day debacle.

Supporting Cast
    Honestly no supporting character in Namor's story line compares with Mera, Aquagirl (Tula), Aqualad (Jackson or Garth / Tempest), Black Manta, Siren or Ocean Master.

While Aquaman was definitely a part of The Justice League, Namor spent most of his time with other heroes in the Marvel universe or being a part of groups which were not limited to the seas.

Summary
    Really in the end I enjoyed Aquaman over Namor because Aquaman stuck to the ocean more than Namor did. While Namor might have had a more in-depth story to himself in the beginning, Aquaman has always had a more interesting and deep supporting cast. I appreciated in later story lines Aquaman's ability to be outcast royalty, and not just an antihero like Namor. In that regard I suppose he mirrors Thor over Namor. If you have only read early Aquaman I suggest reading the Brightest Day event currently out. There are only 2 issues left and the story will be wrapping up just after Coachella, but Geoff Johns does a fantastic job of summing up where Aquaman's been and where he hopes to take him.

I also listed in the previous post the collected trade being released from Silver Age Aquaman which will hopefully get some new readers involved in his royalty backstory.

And I suppose from a strict appearance standpoint, I'm not keen on Namor's speedo.
    Last edited by weeklymix; 03-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.

After watching the Scott Pilgrim movie several times recently including a couple of the commentaries, I bought and plowed through the entire series of books (which are like 1/2 price almost on Amazon), and MAN what a great fucking series! It'
    s much more involved than the film, given that it consists of 6 books at 150-200 pages each. The characters are really well developed. It is definitely a story about being in your 20s.
    last.fm

I debated for a long time whether I'd let how nerdy I am shine but it's a good question so here it goes:
    Solid answer, like I said, I don't really know anything about Aquaman, just that he's Atlantian royalty with a quick temper. And I agree Namor has a piss poor supporting cast and is best when he's in a supporting role himself. I can't think of any Namor solo books that I've read that were any good, but I love him within the context of the greater Marvel Universe.

That silver age collection looks good, I'll have to check it out.

There was also something in Brightest Day that said something about how Aquaman's powers were sort of based on electricity. It seemed like something that could be important later.

Jackson Hyde / Aqualad's powers are highly electricity based.

this is like the only thread i care about now. maybe i should just quit posting here and go find some comic book messageboard.

After watching the Scott Pilgrim movie several times recently including a couple of the commentaries, I bought and plowed through the entire series of books (which are like 1/2 price almost on Amazon), and MAN what a great fucking series! It'
    s much more involved than the film, given that it consists of 6 books at 150-200 pages each. The characters are really well developed. It is definitely a story about being in your 20s.
    I'm so glad I read those now rather than when they started publication. The last one came out right before the movie, but he only released one a year. I loved the movie, but the books are so much bigger and more in depth. I really loved Kim as a character in the books.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Also, roommate came back with a ton of comics from the library, so I've got reading to do

Xed Out-Charles Burnes
    Richard Stark's Parker: The Outfit
    Madame Xanadu-Disenchanted
    Usagi Yojimbo Vol. 2
    The Goon-Nothing But Misery
    Ex Machina-March to War
    Batman-No Man's Land vol. 1 (I haven't read this since they were releasing the issues month to month!)
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'm so glad I read those now rather than when they started publication. The last one came out right before the movie, but he only released one a year. I loved the movie, but the books are so much bigger and more in depth. I really loved Kim as a character in the books.
    Yeah, I'm also glad i read them after seeing the movie. i ended up devouring the entire box set in 3 days. And yes, Kim is so awesome in the book. Ramona and her relationship with Scott are also SO much better developed.
    last.fm

I've never read No Man's Land, aside from a random issue here and there and flipping through the reprints at Barnes & Noble. Should go look for a hotfile link...

And speaking of Namor versus Aquaman, Namor is now a member of the X-Men, which is way cooler than being a former second-string Justice Leaguer.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Yeah, I'm also glad i read them after seeing the movie. i ended up devouring the entire box set in 3 days. And yes, Kim is so awesome in the book. Ramona and her relationship with Scott are also SO much better developed.
    I started reading the books when 3 just came out. It was fun to re-read all of the books every year when the new one came out. And I always listened to the albums/songs mentioned in the back of the books while doing so. I really enjoy the movie and fined it to be a uniquely crafted film, but the books are on another level of endearing material that has really stuck with me. I'm glad others are checking them since the film turned some off.